Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Revan

Assumptionman
There is some realistic chance for Spain and Netherlands
Netherlands wanting to leave is something that cannot understand. The feckers are only one of the few EU members that have a net positive trade with EU.

C'est Moi Cantona

Who will survive it? The woman with a debilitating illness that kills herself because the incoming cabinet strip away yet more money and the remaining shred of dignity she has left? What about the single mum that will struggle to send her children to school in proper uniform? What about 17 year old grafter that really wants to go to university but can't afford to, instead destined to wallow in their soulless former mining town working for £6.70 per hour?

People talk about Britain as if it's some kind of concrete object. It isn't. It's full of good people that are about to be relentlessly pursued and punished because of where they were born and because they don't have much money. Maybe it was like this anyway, but what is to come will be unprecedented.
You're getting well ahead of yourself here and I suggest you do something to brighten your mood, there is nothing to say it will play out like this.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Netherlands wanting to leave is something that cannot understand. The feckers are only one of the few EU members that have a net positive trade with EU.
There is a good number of people like these here in Germany, too. AfD is the living proof. It's utterly insane, yes. But people who prefer to think with their guts have an amazing ability to deny realities.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Starts now then, suck it in and get on with it.
No. Let people mourn for a while. We just left the only institution ever to put the rights of it's citizens first second and third. We hated it and it loved us. And we killed it anyway.

Okay, thats hyperbole, but let people mourn. Tomorrow, France and Germany decide how to castrate us, so that their citizens don't do the same thing. The day after, Scotland votes to leave the family, and we are left much smaller as a result. But we did this to ourselves.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
The EU dragging their feet on trade deals? That is what they do! I voted remain FWIW but all this extreme pessimism just cracks me up. I would wager that the current trade deal will remain in place until the new one is agreed.

The EU has no interest in acting like a petulant bully to a nation that has democratically voted to leave it. It would just increase Eurosceptism in other countries IMO. An oppressive entity only stirs feelings of defiance. We won't have a deal as good as the one we currently do have but we can pursue deals with other countries like China, India and Japan that the EU has failed to complete because of all the conflicting interests that comes with the economic union.

Brexit doesn't suit me personally and I feel it highly likely that we could have up to five tough years. But it has happened now so we have to cope and look for a way to make it work.
From the time of actual exit, till new deals are renegotiated, they will be governed under WTO rules (which are far looser and detrimental to UK). The more the delay, the more the damage.

The bigwigs (GER, FRA) would not take a very hardline stance, though they will extract their pound of flesh. They have the leverage as they know UK would want a quick resolution and so the terms may not be as favourable as other times. There are other political implications like halting of Immigration (Poland), Refugees in Calais (France) etc which could rub EU governments the wrong way.

From EU perspective, it'd not be oppressive, but seeing UK squirming a bit would give other EU countries second thoughts about leaving EU.

If you look at UK's trading partners, biggest ones are Germany, France, Swiss, Netherlands, US, China and Russia...and pretty much all of them recommended to remain. The delay in re-negotiating is not purely be EU countries fault. "Leave" campaign has indicated that they'll only invoke Art.50 in Oct which already is a 4-5 months delay which they need to ascertain their bargaining position. Add in a minimum of 2 years plus extensions if you get General Election, Indyref2 etc. Potential increase as you say to India/China may alleviate the problem, but not in short term.

It's not extreme pessimism, but anticipated bleak outlook. GBP will fall. Inflation will rise. If Sovereign ratings are cut, no new investment will flow in. There may also be outflow of jobs away from London. Investment inbound from EU will halt. It'll be very bleak till 2020-21 at minimum with chances of recovery post that after all the dust has settled in...provided no other major shakeup happens globally interim.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Will this Brexit shit make interrailing annoying? Needing a visa for every country you visit?
Yeah, there will be toll booth every 10-15km. You'll have to grease palms for each and every of the 5 customs officers in these, too. Bring a lot of money..and smile, always smile

VIDEO: C4 news correspondent in Barnsley

Ixion

The first guy in that video, what he says is what this entire thing is about. That is why leave has won and it's bullshit.

Sigma

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

200,000 votes and counting:

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum
We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.

Classical Mechanic

You want free markets. They don't. You want your patents and know-how protected. They couldn't care less. The fundamental conflicts are shared by the UK just as much as by Germany, the Netherlands or France.
Leaving the EU doesn't bring you an inch further to getting around this.
I don't know that much on the mechanics of trade deals so I will have to take your word on it. Time shall tell.

C'est Moi Cantona

No. Let people mourn for a while. We just left the only institution ever to put the rights of it's citizens first second and third. We hated it and it loved us. And we killed it anyway.

Okay, thats hyperbole, but let people mourn. Tomorrow, France and Germany decide how to castrate us, so that their citizens don't do the same thing. The day after, Scotland votes to leave the family, and we are left much smaller as a result. But we did this to ourselves.
That's the worry, but I refuse to believe that any pain will be anything other than a short term thing, we'll be fine, or that's what I'm going to shout from the rooftops anyway!

DenisIrwin

There is a lot I don't understand. One is why we have been importing almost all of the flowers sold in the UK from Holland. Why? Can't we grow flowers just as easily? Is there some sort of advantage given to Dutch horticulturalists?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

The first guy in that video, what he says is what this entire thing is about. That is why leave has won and it's bullshit.
I'm always surprised by how slowly english speakers speak.

Kag

You're getting well ahead of yourself here and I suggest you do something to brighten your mood, there is nothing to say it will play out like this.
Nonsense. It's already playing out and I know this for a fact. I know of said suicides, I work in education and I live in the north east of England. I know very, very well how hard it is in these areas of England. It was destroyed in the 80s, has been forgotten about ever since (on both sides) and the incoming cabinet consisting of Johnson, Gove and co. will do their damn best to make it worse.

What depresses me is that some of these people on low wages, lacking any real opportunity elsewhere, voted to leave yesterday. In the name of misinformation and (in some cases) casual facism they have effectively shot themselves in the foot, allowing for further austerity, relentless cuts and a further attack on public services and the welfare state.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
It's a train of consequences

After England many countries will try to follow: Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Hungary, and on long term Italy and France

Our lives will change again
the rightwing movements in these countries will certainly try, but what's happening over in the UK will probably not make this seem too attractive.
There might be other referenda happening, but these will be under much bigger scrutiny, and spilling out flatout lies to make a case won't work again.

Crackers

greasy ginfers
It's a train of consequences

After England many countries will try to follow: Denmark, Spain, Netherlands, Hungary, and on long term Italy and France

Our lives will change again
I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland attempt it too. We're very close to the UK, and you tend to have our back in any arguments we make in the european parliament. It's going to be very hard to continue as a small Island on our own, and they'll probably take us for granted as they usually do.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Let´s not equal Wilder´s right wing party to the opinion of the majority of the Dutch people. There are still far from being the majority there. It would be like calling the AfD´s stupid ideas the opnion of the German.

::sonny::

the rightwing movements in these countries will certainly try, but what's happening over in the UK will probably not make this seem too attractive.
There might be other referenda happening, but these will be under much bigger scrutiny, and spilling out flatout lies to make a case won't work again.

They will try and we'll see

Guardian Comment: 'If you've got money, you vote in ... if you haven't got money, you vote out'

Classical Mechanic

From the time of actual exit, till new deals are renegotiated, they will be governed under WTO rules (which are far looser and detrimental to UK). The more the delay, the more the damage.

The bigwigs (GER, FRA) would not take a very hardline stance, though they will extract their pound of flesh. They have the leverage as they know UK would want a quick resolution and so the terms may not be as favourable as other times. There are other political implications like halting of Immigration (Poland), Refugees in Calais (France) etc which could rub EU governments the wrong way.

From EU perspective, it'd not be oppressive, but seeing UK squirming a bit would give other EU countries second thoughts about leaving EU.

If you look at UK's trading partners, biggest ones are Germany, France, Swiss, Netherlands, US, China and Russia...and pretty much all of them recommended to remain. The delay in re-negotiating is not purely be EU countries fault. "Leave" campaign has indicated that they'll only invoke Art.50 in Oct which already is a 4-5 months delay which they need to ascertain their bargaining position. Add in a minimum of 2 years plus extensions if you get General Election, Indyref2 etc. Potential increase as you say to India/China may alleviate the problem, but not in short term.

It's not extreme pessimism, but anticipated bleak outlook. GBP will fall. Inflation will rise. If Sovereign ratings are cut, no new investment will flow in. There may also be outflow of jobs away from London. Investment inbound from EU will halt. It'll be very bleak till 2020-21 at minimum with chances of recovery post that after all the dust has settled in...provided no other major shakeup happens globally interim.
I agree that we are in for some tough years, though I doubt it will be as tough as it is for most countries living in the Eurozone right now.

Like I said before, a Brexit really doesn't suit me personally but it is what it is so I hope that the country pulls its collective head out of its arse and deals with it.

@Revan

There is a good video on this page interviewing Leave voters, give a brief view on how divided our society has become.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics...ain-brexit-money-class-inequality-westminster

Leave voters have largely been duped unfortunately.

Last edited:

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic

Let's not kid ourselves into thinking this vote was about anything else. Abhorrent cnuts. And the swear filter ought to be bypassed this one time because that's exactly what they are.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So England's plan of prosperity is for mainland Europe to go to the dogs. Certain things never change even after 500 years

GloryHunter07

Perhaps im still in shock and being melodramatic, but i feel (for the first time) disconnected from my country.

Sigma

These people make me want to punch my screen. Fecking idiots. The first guy, movement around EU is fine but people from Africa and Syria/Iraq are not allowed to come in. How would you fecking feel if you were living in a fecking war zone/extremely poor living conditions fearing for your life every single day. Fecking Imbecile.

C'est Moi Cantona

Nonsense. It's already playing out and I know this for a fact. I know of said suicides, I work in education and I live in the north east of England. I know very, very well how hard it is in these areas of England. It was destroyed in the 80s, has been forgotten about ever since (on both sides) and the incoming cabinet consisting of Johnson, Gove and co. will do their damn best to make it worse.

What depresses me is that some of these people on low wages, lacking any real opportunity elsewhere, voted to leave yesterday. In the name of misinformation and (in some cases)
casual facism they have effectively shot themselves in the foot, allowing for further austerity, relentless cuts and a further attack on public services and the welfare state.
Yes this part is very true, there seemed a lack of any real effort to get the message across to everyone, and by that I mean talking on different levels where appropriate (and I don't mean that to sound patronising), but the number of people that voted who seemingly didn't really have a clue what was going on was amazing, the blame for this stops at the feet of the powers that be though.

My point is that it's done now, and with a positive attitude we could go on and prosper still, doom and gloom will kill us.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country
France, Germany and Holland sure, but how are you going to convince the other 24 member states to vote in favor of a new trade deal with the UK? They would need something out of it too.

It's a large number that the EU exports to us but it still only amounts to 10% of total EU exports. They will keep our business anyway in the short term because we don't have an alternative and would probably keep a lot of it long-term anyway just because of the short lead time on products, many business need that option and would pay the tariffs.
Are you kidding? They export more to UK then they import from them so is a no brainer.

Revan

Assumptionman

They will try and we'll see
Salvini is not going to win anything. All his support comes in Veneto and Lombardia eventhough the main right wing party is weaker than ever. Even in Veneto, he is despised by pretty much everyone who is educated.

Movimento 5 Stelle on the other hand might be a problem. They are pretty much anarchist, and they are in coalition with UKIP in European parliament. And they are getting stronger.