Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland attempt it too. We're very close to the UK, and you tend to have our back in any arguments we make in the european parliament. It's going to be very hard to continue as a small Island on our own, and they'll probably take us for granted as they usually do.
there's absolutely no way we're leaving the EU.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Thought this was quite entertaining, first for the pause face of Self at the start, then again for the fairly appropriate response to (lefty) Dreda Say Mitchell's argument that this'll benefit our democracy.

barros

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Where liberty dwells, there is my country

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Well, their writers are certainly 'incomparable'.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Of course it's about England, they're English. What do you expect it to be about...America, Russia, the Seychelles...what?
Britain. The decision is for Britain. The majority of people in Scotland voted Remain. The majority of people in Northern Ireland voted Remain. The majority of people in Wales voted Leave despite without any possible doubt having benefitted from EU funding without which the region would have been worse off. Most of the more educated people in this country voted Remain because they had a better understanding of the consequences and not because they loved the EU. Most of the people who voted Leave have shown a HUGE inability to express why in any terms that make sense. 'I have my own reasons', 'It is to stop Muslims coming in to the country', 'To stop Germans deciding our laws', 'Immigrants taking our jobs' etc. It is infuriating or sad for the rest of the country because it is only half of us (especially when you count all the young people who did not vote), and because the reasons are all so badly wrong, and so based on the blowing of the wind.

There are those who voted Leave on a better basis but they are in the minority - I think they are wrong too but I respect their decision because they think the EU is a wasteful failed project that we need to exit from asap. I can at least understand that because the first part is hard to argue with. The second is the problem. Now we will see.

This vote would have gone a different way in the 90s when the economy was better and there was no migrant crisis. Is the EU to be blamed for this? If the UK prospers outside the EU will fewer people from Syria and other troubled countries risk their lives to come and live here to work and earn money and be happier? Why are we so against this? Why do we blame these people for poor circumstances here? If the UK does not prosper outside the EU will people be happy being poorer just because there is 1 fewer foreign person for every 100?

These things are hard to see properly when so raw. History may look back at this decision a different way. But the justification for the vote has simply not been made adequately and those who have lost are right to be angry about that, especially when it affects us all. The reality of this vote is that the country is divided and the government that runs us has increased that division from a bad starting point to a dangerous precipice by implementing a cowardly and misguided economic policy that has fecked many people over. Those people have voted against 'the establishment' and yet to give the UK government more power... it looks like a terrible idea in the short term for their own interests but maybe, just maybe, it might not be in the long.

But however this goes, next time, please, let us all at least know what we are voting for, and let us hope that we can find a better group of people to run this country, a group that the majority of people will vote for and that will attempt to represent all of us, not just themselves or their donors or the people they know and talk to. A group with some consistency in their beliefs.

Fully Fledged

This is interesting as well (if true)

"Paradoxically Brexit won at Sunderland where there is a factory of Nissan employs 7,000 employees and is now likely to close"
It wont close today because they have invested millions on the lines that build the cars but when the lines finish their cycle they are not going reinvest in the UK. The life of a car is about 5 years I don't know how long they are into the current lines but once they are finished they will likely move to Europe.

barros

You don't want to get it do you? I'll try once. They are in the UK because it was the best place to sell both to the UK and the rest of Europe. There were no tariffs, no restrictions. Now there likely will be, and so it doesn't make sense to be in the UK anymore just to be less competitive when you go to market with your products and services to the rest of Europe. It doesn't mean they will up and leave immediately, it might not be worth it to reinvest all that capital elsewhere. But I can tell you what they won't do: open new plants.

That's it, that's how companies think. Once this is done, if there are restrictions and/or tariffs on trade from the UK to the EU, companies will base European assets in France, Germany, Belgium, or anywhere except the UK. This sucks for them too, but its sure worse for the people in the UK.
on the bright side EU cars would be more expensive

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Britain. The decision is for Britain. The majority of people in Scotland voted Remain. The majority of people in Northern Ireland voted Remain. The majority of people in Wales voted Leave despite without any possible doubt having benefitted from EU funding without which the region would have been worse off. Most of the more educated people in this country voted Remain because they had a better understanding of the consequences and not because they loved the EU. Most of the people who voted Leave have shown a HUGE inability to express why in any terms that make sense. 'I have my own reasons', 'It is to stop Muslims coming in to the country', 'To stop Germans deciding our laws', 'Immigrants taking our jobs' etc. It is infuriating or sad for the rest of the country because it is only half of us (especially when you count all the young people who did not vote), and because the reasons are all so badly wrong, and so based on the blowing of the wind.

There are those who voted Leave on a better basis but they are in the minority - I think they are wrong too but I respect their decision because they think the EU is a wasteful failed project that we need to exit from asap. I can at least understand that because the first part is hard to argue with. The second is the problem. Now we will see.

This vote would have gone a different way on the 90s when the economy was better and there was no migrant crisis. Is the EU to be blamed for these? If the UK propers outside the EU will fewer people from Syria and other troubled countries risk their lives to come and live here to work and earn money and be happier? Why are we so against this? Why do we blame these people for poor circumstances here? If the UK does not prosper outside the EU will people be happy being poorer just because there is 1 fewer foreign person for every 100?

These things are hard to see properly when so raw. History may look back at this decision a different way. But the justification for the vote has simply not been made adequately and those who have lost are right to be angry about that, especially when it affects us all. The reality of this vote is that the country is divided and the government that runs us has increased that division from a bad starting point to a dangerous precipice by implementing a cowardly and misguided economic policy that has fecked many people over. Those people have voted against 'the establishment' and yet to give the UK government more power... it looks like a terrible idea in the short term for their own interests but maybe, just maybe, it might not be in the long.

But however this goes, next time, please, let us all at least know what we are voting for, and let us hope that we can find a better group of people to run this country, a group that the majority of people will vote for and that will attempt to represent all of us, not just themselves or their donors or the people they know and talk to. A group with some consistency in their beliefs.
Most young people under 25 voted to remain as well. The fact that the leave campaign has maybe wrecked the future for their own kids and grandkids. What if these kids decide to emigrate somewhere else, that is a whole generation of workforce gone.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is a big test for Brussels. If it is able to remain united + crash the British economy to the ground than it would prove that populism doesn't pay and it will pave the way to federalism. Eventually the UK will return back to the fold weaker and humiliated. Hence why I believe that negotiations will be tough

DomesticTadpole

This is a big test for Brussels. If it is able to remain united + crash the British economy to the ground than it would prove that populism doesn't pay and it will pave the way to federalism. Eventually the UK will return back to the fold weaker and humiliated. Hence why I believe that negotiations will be tough
I think we will end up going back to them cap in hand. Once they realise that all these promises they have made cannot be fulfilled and the country is on it knees. Thanks Boris and Nige.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I doubt it is even likely that NI would get a majority vote to leave the UK in the first place?
The main reason NI are still in the UK is because they reap all the benefits of both the UK and its relationship with Ireland - the funding, the NHS, the dual-citizenship of both countries, the money from the EU, and freedom of movement throughout Ireland. If it wasn't for all the benefits of the UK I think that NI would've certainly voted to leave now. 56% voted remain after all and Catholics do outnumber Protestants there.

I think with the uncertainty around the UK as well as the likelihood of a border and also the possibility of losing dual-citizenship then there's a very good chance they would leave the UK. The question is whether they'd invoke it if a unified Ireland wasn't a possibility, which I don't believe it will be.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
'Let's make Britain great again! How? We haven't a feckin' scooby...'

sincher

Didn't know so many Brits hated immigrants.
It is more subtle than that.

Most do not hate. They believe what they read in the Daily Mail and in The Sun. They hear about minor problems and blow them out of proportion. Many are in very difficult circumstances and see any opportunity for change as a possible positive with nothing to lose. Others who have influenced the vote (Dyson, BoJo, Gove) have still another agenda and it does not look magnanimous. Some... have a valid point to make about the EU and its flawed decisions and uncertain future. But these are the real minority and now we have to hope they are right.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Harvey Weinstein, major film producer and co-chairman of The Weinstein Company:
“I’m shocked and the thing that surprised me the most is a great Prime Minister like David Cameron resigning. From his point of view — history is important to these guys in a big way — he didn’t want to preside over a disaster and wanted to save his reputation as a great Prime Minister. He’ll be proven right. This is not about economics, this is about immigration. They don’t want Muslims in the country. These guys who voted, voted out of fear. It’s a huge mistake.

sincher

'Let's make Britain great again! How? We haven't a feckin' scooby...'
The 'great' period of our country is defined by oppression of others and self defence. How great is that really?

Untied

Aye, if I was British I'd be feeling pretty crap about my country today. More than all the practical implications, I'd just feel like I was living in a very regressive, fractured place that has sentenced itself to a much dimmer future.
The trend of terribly informed, ignorant voting, which some leavers are still refusing to believe has been the reason they've won.

This is why it's so maddening.
It would at least be nice if Leave would taken ownership of the ignorance, prejudice and far-right views that have won it for them

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Someone plese tell Harvey this baffoon is the prime responsible for this disaster:rolleyes:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Did I just hear on the radio that a Conservative MP and prominent leave member say that the LEAVE campaign did not promise to reduce immigration?

What. The. feck.

sincher

The main reason NI are still in the UK is because they reap all the benefits of both the UK and its relationship with Ireland - the funding, the NHS, the dual-citizenship of both countries, the money from the EU, and freedom of movement throughout Ireland. If it wasn't for all the benefits of the UK I think that NI would've certainly voted to leave now. 56% voted remain after all and Catholics do outnumber Protestants there.

I think with the uncertainty around the UK as well as the likelihood of a border and also the possibility of losing dual-citizenship then there's a very good chance they would leave the UK. The question is whether they'd invoke it if a unified Ireland wasn't a possibility, which I don't believe it will be.
There is no reason for a border change. The existing arrangement predates the EU.

barros

US will never let that happen, UK is the biggest ally they had after the WW2 and the only European country who could face Russia.

DomesticTadpole

The 'great' period of our country is defined by oppression of others and self defence. How great is that really?
It isn't great. Obviously they are going to recolonise the colonies and bring back slavery. I am really worried about what they are going to do to our country. I can just see some really nasty racial stuff happening. What have we become?:(:(

Moody's: UK vote to leave the EU is credit negative for UK sovereign and other rated UK entities

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff