Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
Anyone seen the video of the old man crying? Saying "I've got my country back. I've not got long left, I'm 83, but I've got it back for the little time I have".

Not too old to be called a complete selfish dickhead.
Cold winter on the way...

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He is English primarily so he is used to talking about England, in just the same way that the Welsh, the Scottish or the Irish are used to talking about themselves if they're from Wales or Scotland or Ireland. It's natural for some and shouldn't be considered as just another excuse to criticise them.

It seems ok though to criticise leavers as being too thick to understand what they're voting for but I wouldn't be surprised if a fair number of those who voted remain had just as poor an understanding of what they were voting for. ( We are not seeing vids of those on here though are we). Someone I know voted remain because she was very frightened if we left the EU WW3 would start because Cameron had implied as much. Nevertheless, unless you want to be discriminatory, everyone in the country has a vote and all votes are equal, whatever their level of intelligence and understanding.
You are right on this. Many people who voted Remain will have done so for poor reasons, and as I alluded to, we do not really know who was 'right' anyway. The Remain campaign was really poorly fought in comparison with Leave, also. However, I have paid close attention to the different voting parties and underneath the campaigns, virtually everyone who looked at the question in detail, with a proper attempt to work out what was best, and without a personal agenda, voted Remain - and many of these expressed why in a very convincing way. The same is simply not true for the Leave voters. I have not seen a properly stated (never mind convincing) economic argument for voting Leave. I have not seen a convincing argument that leaving helps us address any problems that we face... certainly not soon, anyway. Am I to believe Leave all have better strategic thinking for the long term? Based on what?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Talk about sore losers. Reading through Twitter and various comments on the newspapers there's a lot of "leave" voters finding this sort of stuff hilarious comparing it to children playing

"Aww I lost....ok let's do best 2 out of 3"

Remain has lost, people need to move on and deal with it.
What else would you expect, they didn't understand what they were voting for before the vote and they still don't realise what damage they've done now

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You do know Nigel Farage said he would call for a 2nd Referendum a few days ago when it was expected they'd lose.

I'm not letting my future get fecked without a fight. Sorry but I like my country as is thank you.
Stop being a sore loser you ninny. Laughingcryingsmilie.

Seriously people are mental. You'd think it was a friendly game of snap being discussed here.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Anyone seen the video of the old man crying? Saying "I've got my country back. I've not got long left, I'm 83, but I've got it back for the little time I have".

Not too old to be called a complete selfish dickhead.
Sponges off the EU and now he is dying he rips it away from the next generation. They are scum. The majority of old Britons are absolutely the most selfish scumbags going. They don't deserve the respect they demand after pulling this shit.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Shamelessly stolen from reddit

Other EU countries are already murmuring about having their own referendum. Brexit will be followed by Grexit, Departugal, Italeave, Fruckoff, Czechout, Oustria, Finish, Slovakout, Latervia, Byegium, and Croaciao.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
You are right on this. Many people who voted Remain will have done so for poor reasons, and as I alluded to, we do not really know who was 'right' anyway. The Remain campaign was really poorly fought in comparison with Leave, also. However, I have paid close attention to the different voting parties and underneath the campaigns, virtually everyone who looked at the question in detail, with a proper attempt to work out what was best, and without a personal agenda, voted Remain - and many of these expressed why in a very convincing way. The same is simply not true for the Leave voters. I have not seen a properly stated (never mind convincing) economic argument for voting Leave. I have not seen a convincing argument that leaving helps us address any problems that we face... certainly not soon, anyway. Am I to believe Leave all have better strategic thinking for the long term? Based on what?
Apologies, but I can't manage a post with any substance to it today, I'm all Brexited out. Have been for a couple of weeks now. :)

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I put my name down for the second Referendum, I'm going to use a pen this time to vote remain.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Come on. Really this is just too stupid to go through with. A bunch of p*ssed off thick-as-pig-sh*t little Englanders decide to completely bite off the hand that feeds them and we all have to go along with it? At the expense of everyone?

Give this referendum the dirty arse treatment and let's just do the right thing. Stay in.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Shamelessly stolen from reddit

Other EU countries are already murmuring about having their own referendum. Brexit will be followed by Grexit, Departugal, Italeave, Fruckoff, Czechout, Oustria, Finish, Slovakout, Latervia, Byegium, and Croaciao.
That was on twitter 2 days ago also

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
You can't really make a great case for leave because your arguments are all in extreme hypotheticals. In that sense remain had an easier argument as their points were literally and actually happening, giving it more weight then leave.

They just fecked up and tried fear mongering though. Lead to lots of people getting pissed about their tactics and giving leave the ammunition to build an inspired underdog story.

SirAF

Ageist
Come on. Really this is just too stupid to go through with. A bunch of p*ssed off thick-as-pig-sh*t little Englanders decide to completely bite off the hand that feeds them and we all have to go along with it? At the expense of everyone?

Give this referendum the dirty arse treatment and let's just do the right thing. Stay in.
It's not legally binding, right? The powers should just ignore it.. never going to happen though as all the chavs would probably burn down the whole damn country.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
It's not legally binding, right? The powers should just ignore it.. never going to happen though as all the chavs would probably burn down the whole damn country.
Also a little thing called equality and democracy. Ignoring this is worse then people voting to leave.

GloryHunter07

Sadly there are too many of them to ignore.

SirAF

Ageist
Also a little thing called equality and democracy. Ignoring this is worse then people voting to leave.
Sadly, yes. However, sometimes the ignorance of people is so overwhelming that they should be overruled - although that's a dangerous and dark place.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
To basically feck democracy in the face by ignoring this vote would possibly be one of the few things you could do to make things even worse than they already are.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
People aren't equal and democracy is deeply flawed.

I don't think they can ignore it, but if they think up a good enough reason... freak floods in London, the situation regarding Scotland/Northern Ireland, further EU concessions, all backed by the extreme number of people who voted to remain and they could work around it.

sincher

You can't really make a great case for leave because your arguments are all in extreme hypotheticals. In that sense remain had an easier argument as their points were literally and actually happening, giving it more weight then leave.

They just fecked up and tried fear mongering though. Lead to lots of people getting pissed about their tactics and giving leave the ammunition to build an inspired underdog story.
Yes, the proper argument to Leave could be made but is complex and would not be voted for. The Leave campaign could see that and were consistent 'Take control'... exactly what a lot of people want to hear. The Remain argument is not easier when so many people are hacked off with the status quo but it was made very poorly by those in power because they tried to dumb it down to match Leave.

The Purley King

Based on principles. The principle of governing ourselves. The principle of having the capacity to control our own borders and to decide who we want to deport or not and who should have the right to live here.
I could not care less about the immediate economic impact of this decision although I think it will be a lot less severe than people are making out. In the long term I believe it will be a positive move economically but even if it isn't I can live with that.
There are lots of positive things the EU has done which we can continue to do under our own steam, but for me it was an easy decision to make.

SirAF

Ageist
I don't think they can ignore it, but if they think up a good enough reason... freak floods in London, the situation regarding Scotland/Northern Ireland, further EU concessions, all backed by the extreme number of people who voted to remain and they could work around it.
Realistically they won't do it. However, legally, the HoC could vote against it.

NinjaFletch

I'm a little bit surprised there hasn't been talk of a legal challenge on that front. In the end its inconsequential, London wouldn't have had enough votes to close the gap, but it would buy time which it seems like we're absolutely desperate for right now.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Sadly, yes. However, sometimes the ignorance of people is so overwhelming that they should be overruled - although that's a dangerous and dark place.
Maybe your opinion. However, that sets up a class system of intolerance in a similar discriminatory way to the way the leavers have been labelled with their immigration argument.

Equality is what we as a nation should be striving for and democracy is the path of decision making that we have chosen.

sincher

Based on principles. The principle of governing ourselves. The principle of having the capacity to control our own borders and to decide who we want to deport or not and who should have the right to live here.
I could not care less about the immediate economic impact of this decision although I think it will be a lot less severe than people are making out. In the long term I believe it will be a positive move economically but even if it isn't I can live with that.
There are lots of positive things the EU has done which we can continue to do under our own steam, but for me it was an easy decision to make.
We do govern ourselves in all the important ways. Name 5 pieces of EU legislation you would repeal.

You also have to see that there is massive doubt as to whether we will actually get any better control over our borders though right? As in, the other countries in Europe but not in the EU do not have it.

Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are in the Schengen area. Most of the time, no checks at all to come in from other EU countries. The UK already has options. I cannot see it getting any more, especially since as soon as a credible alternative to this government arises, it will get in. And the migrant crisis will dissipate anyway, and people will care less when the economy recovers anyway (as I tend to agree it will). This country will have net immigration that we cannot and should not fully control if it is a happy and prosperous place. Either we slide into a depression and it doesn't happen any more, or we prosper and learn to accept it with tolerance and respect for what it actually means.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I'm as angry about the result as the rest of you, but we need to accept this result. The only way you can reasonably call another referendum is if the EU comes back and offers really good terms to remain.

Doing anything else will basically end democracy in this country. You can't just vote and vote until you get the response you want. There would be civil war as I'm sure those voting out aren't going to take that lying down. And don't try to use Farage's words about calling for a 2nd referendum as a reason to do it now, because we all know that was a load of bullshit and would have fallen on deaf ears anyway. He probably didn't believe what he was saying himself.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Yes, the proper argument to Leave could be made but is complex and would not be voted for. The Leave campaign could see that and were consistent 'Take control'... exactly what a lot of people want to hear. The Remain argument is not easier when so many people are hacked off with the status quo but it was made very poorly by those in power because they tried to dumb it down to match Leave.
The problem is that most of our problems come from our own government, not the EU. The remain campaign won't admit to that as it weakens their position during elections. Also, Cameron demonising the EU in the past has caused themail people to be hacked off with it.

The Purley King

We do govern ourselves in all the important ways. Name 5 pieces of EU legislation you would repeal.

You also have to see that there is massive doubt as to whether we will actually get any better control over our borders though right? As in, the other countries in Europe but not in the EU do not have it.
Any law which is passed that we did not agree with is one law too many. You can google just as well as i can what the laws are that we didn't want that we ended up getting. It is not important to me what they were, it's the principle I don't like.
There is no 'massive doubt' about border control. If the political will is there then at least now we have the ability to make that decision. We didn't have that before. If whoever is in charge in future years doesn't choose to exercise that right well then it's down to the people who elected them and I'll have to suck it up. Just as everyone who disagrees with brexit will have to do the same now.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
The government wants migration. It helps the economy.

sincher

Any law which is passed that we did not agree with is one law too many. You can google just as well as i can what the laws are that we didn't want that we ended up getting. It is not important to me what they were, it's the principle I don't like.
There is no 'massive doubt' about border control. If the political will is there then at least now we have the ability to make that decision. We didn't have that before. If whoever is in charge in future years doesn't choose to exercise that right well then it's down to the people who elected them and I'll have to suck it up. Just as everyone who disagrees with brexit will have to do the same now.
Oh dear. Another extremely weak argument - someone who simply cannot be bothered to do any research and knows next to nothing about border control.

Tired of experts are we?

Duafc

Village Lemon

No sense in talking to the half of the UK who don't understand Parliamentary Sovereignty and the ACTUAL limited scope the EU has in our decision making process in the areas they actually care about. Some wanker is using all the buzzwords they like about making Britain great and taking control.

Immigrants are terrorists and they all come from Europe to bomb us or take our jobs.

It's a big brick wall, xenophobia are the bricks and idiocy the cement.

We laugh at America, but at least they have the good grace to call it what it is and take ownership of their bigotry.

The Purley King

Oh dear. Another extremely weak argument - someone who simply cannot be bothered to do any research and knows next to nothing about border control.

Tired of experts are we?
What I do know about border control is that we can now make our own rules about who comes in from EU countries. Whats so difficult to understand about that?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Dan Hannan just said on Newsnight he's in favour of free movement of labour within the EU. Lol.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I always assumed that the refugee crisis is what tipped the favour on exit. Lots of people were against taking in refugees and reports of Merkel wanting to force us to take millions of them in made people want to leave.