Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Duafc

Village Lemon
Any law which is passed that we did not agree with is one law too many. You can google just as well as i can what the laws are that we didn't want that we ended up getting. It is not important to me what they were, it's the principle I don't like.
There is no 'massive doubt' about border control. If the political will is there then at least now we have the ability to make that decision. We didn't have that before. If whoever is in charge in future years doesn't choose to exercise that right well then it's down to the people who elected them and I'll have to suck it up. Just as everyone who disagrees with brexit will have to do the same now.
What I do know about border control is that we can now make our own rules about who comes in from EU countries. Whats so difficult to understand about that?
What do you think is wrong with the current rules? And why do you expect our government to make these drastic changes? Particularly when leave have already backtracked on what was always a silly lie.
How would you like us to operate our borders?

I don't think you have a clue what they were, or really about anything.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What I do know about border control is that we can now make our own rules about who comes in from EU countries. Whats so difficult to understand about that?
That's not new you were able to do it last week.

R'hllor

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

200,000 votes and counting:

EU Referendum Rules triggering a 2nd EU Referendum
We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum.
Too soon,they should wait a bit more,give time to those leave leaders to retract from their hooks,telling how it is now when they think they won. Then you go for 2nd referendum.

The Purley King

What do you think is wrong with the current rules? And why do you expect our government to make these drastic changes? Particularly when leave have already backtracked on what was always a silly lie.
How would you like us to operate our borders?

I don't think you have a clue what they were, or really about anything.
I am not 'expecting' whoever governs us to make changes, but there is a clear decision from the country that this is what the majority want. It's up to all of us to make that happen, or not, depending on which side of the fence you are.
Personally I would like to see an Aussie based points system.

izec

Shambles. Feel gutted, and i dont have anything to do directly with the UK. I was reading here since the morning, and even though i had a feeling it would end like this, but once reality kicks in, it feels weird.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Perhaps Clarkson's on about the next episode of Top Gear.

caid

I'm always surprised by the moments of clarity he can come out with in between the mountains of shit.

Its seems strange to dismiss the leave campaign as racist bigots.
I can kind of understand their argument to be honest. You're no longer handcuffed by the bureaucracy of the EU.
I expect the decision will bite you in the ass and I'm sorry to see you guys leave though.

It would have been nice to see a push to reforming the EU but its hard to see that happening without you guys.
I expect they'll batten down the hatches and be very conservative and defensive at least in the short term.
Kicking you in the nuts will probably be the first order of the day though.
Just sad really.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
It's not only that Hannan said immigration may remain the same, it's that he was actually open to keeping free movement of labour. No control taken back whatsoever. A columnist said recently that the Tory Leaver's ideal is a fairly libertarian low tax, low regulation country with high levels of immigration for the economy, the only trouble was that they'd only get 20% of people voting for it. They needed a better selling point.

A cynic would say they don't care about the potential backlash, because it'll be in heavily Labour areas.

cyberman

I don't understand all this lets get in with it tweets and comments. Britain has just burned a shit load of money with no plan or trade agreements / concessions etc yet in place on how to cope with it or make it back.
How can people get on with it? Put a plan in place and tell peolle to get on with it. Something to work towards.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It is almost certainly wrong, unless you want to permanently sacrifice free trade with Europe, which can be done outside the EU but which will require us to accept free movement of people on the same - well, actually less controlled - basis as now. Less controlled because the concessions Cameron negotiated about benefits have immediately been thrown out.

The three current countries in Europe but not in the EU are Norway, Switzerland and Iceland. They are Schengen countries with completely free movement (fewer checks than UK in normal circumstances), the price they pay for access to the free market.

The only chance of this ever happening depends on the EU collapsing altogether.

So it sounds very much like you, like so many others, have been totally hoodwinked.

Last edited:

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
What I do think, this leave result will do something good.

In my opinion, it seems we are likely to be in a similar deal to the current one with the EU in a few years and wont be much worse off then before we left. That seems to be what everybody are pointing towards right now. So in that sense the Leave campaign was utterly pointless for all concerned.

What I think it will do which I am happy about is it willoyds shift responsibility fully on the shoulders of our own government. Now we are out of the EU, there is no excuse but our own government for the direction our country goes in. No more blaming the big bad EU for our shortfalls. Our MP's will now be forced to stand up and face the responsibility that they have been shifting in the last few years.

It's already started with Cameron leaving. The government is going to be shaken up now.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
What I find funny is that you brittons all think as if you are a tinpot pisspot country on the outskirts of Europe with no sway whatsoever.

If nations like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland can get their own favourable trade agreements, well you sure as shit can.

And, please, spare me the shit about "oh lolz, you silly Norwegians are basically part of the EU through your trade agreement but you have no sway whatsoever."

Yeah...like a country with 4,5 million people would have any sway in the EU against Germany, France and the rest. Us being outside of the EU and having our specific trade agreement with the EU instead of straight out membership gives us the right to pick and choose about the EU law and legislature we want to or dont want to implement.

sincher

What I find funny is that you brittons all think as if you are a tinpot pisspot country on the outskirts of Europe with no sway whatsoever.

If nations like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland can get their own favourable trade agreements, well you sure as shit can.
Absolutely we can, with conditions imposed by... guess who.... wait for it.....

Will Absolute

The government wants migration. It helps the economy.
In some cases, and by some metrics, that may be true. But the economy comprises millions of individuals and many distinct categories of people who may be affected very differently by immigration. A crude measurement of GDP growth, or even GDP per capita growth, is a poor indicator of the overall impact on human happiness of the mass movement of people.

America in the last few decades is a case in point. Globalisation, trade liberalisation, immigration etc. have contributed to overall, healthy economic growth during the period. But the benefits of that growth have not been evenly spread. The affluent and well-educated have been the main beneficiaries, while the less well-educated and the working class have lost out - their living standards have stagnated - for them the American dream is over.

In Britain, immigration has unquestionably benefited the rich and the powerful. They have the ear of the rulers - they are the rulers - and their voices are the loudest. Those who bear the cost of immigration have tended to be ignored - dismissed as ignorant, racist etc. Today their voices were heard.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

We've been having this debate pretty much non-stop for months now, deals of the likes you mention have had to be shot down by Leave campaigners because they allow for free movement. We aren't banging our heads against the table for fun.

SwansonsTache

Absolutely we can, with conditions imposed by... guess who.... wait for it.....
No, EU can not cherrypick and dictate an agreement entirely on their own terms.

This is the magic that EU, their bureacrats and the remain guys have done on you guys. You basically think that EU is this demi-god that decides all and everything for everybody, without any thought about a nations soverignity and self-rule.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
In some cases, and by some metrics, that may be true. But the economy comprises millions of individuals and many distinct categories of people who may be affected very differently by immigration. A crude measurement of GDP growth, or even GDP per capita growth, is a poor indicator of the overall impact on human happiness of the mass movement of people.

America in the last few decades is a case in point. Globalisation, trade liberalisation, immigration etc. have contributed to overall, healthy economic growth during the period. But the benefits of that growth have not been evenly spread. The affluent and well-educated have been the main beneficiaries, while the less well-educated and the working class have lost out - their living standards have stagnated - for them the American dream is over.

In Britain, immigration has unquestionably benefited the rich and the powerful. They have the ear of the rulers - they are the rulers - and their voices are the loudest. Those who bear the cost of immigration have tended to be ignored - dismissed as ignorant, racist etc. Today their voices were heard.
Except it hasn't because immigration will not change. Only the scapegoat will.

SwansonsTache

We've been having this debate pretty much non-stop for months now, deals of the likes you mention have had to be shot down by Leave campaigners because they allow for free movement. We aren't banging our heads against the table for fun.
The Schengen free-movement deal and the free trade agreement are two seperate entities altogether, in fact there is a overwhelming voice towards ditching the free-movement and Schengen deal in Norway now, and it won't affect our free-trade EEF deal for shit.

Stop letting the scaremongers in EU scare you. They have no right to dictate your control of your own borders as a sovereign nation. How this illusion has been spun by the EU and the fecktards in Brussel is nothing short of a masterclass.

sincher

Those people think they have been affected by immigration. Most have not. They have been affected by cuts and austerity, for sure. They have been affected by the financial crisis. They have been affected by poor policy and underinvestment in law enforcement. And now their voices have been heard, but they have voted for something that will not change immigration, it will simply give the government greater power to feck them over (or not, if we eventually get a government that doesn't). It is the wrong answer to the wrong question.

NinjaFletch

The Schengen free-movement deal and the free trade agreement are two seperate entities altogether, in fact there is a overwhelming voice towards ditching the free-movement and Schengen deal in Norway now, and it won't affect our free-trade EEF deal for shit.

Stop letting the scaremongers in EU scare you. They have no right to dictate your control of your own borders as a sovereign nation. How this illusion has been spun by the EU and the fecktards in Brussel is nothing short of a masterclass.
Ok. You do that and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

And, please, spare me the shit about "oh lolz, you silly Norwegians are basically part of the EU through your trade agreement but you have no sway whatsoever."

Yeah...like a country with 4,5 million people would have any sway in the EU against Germany, France and the rest. Us being outside of the EU and having our specific trade agreement with the EU instead of straight out membership gives us the right to pick and choose about the EU law and legislature we want to or dont want to implement.
Doesn't Norway have 5.5 million roughly now?

Plus Norway has a nice gravy train or Oil and Fish I really don't see the same model working for the UK, I'd rather be in Norways position frankly!

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
You hope it won't but it will. Any rules you impose on EU citizens will be met with equal or more severe rules on yours

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

You have petrol and we want your petrol, they don't have petrol and we don't care about the rest. England are closer to Turkey than Norway.

sincher

No, EU can not cherrypick and dictate an agreement entirely on their own terms.

This is the magic that EU, their bureacrats and the remain guys have done on you guys. You basically think that EU is this demi-god that decides all and everything for everybody, without any thought about a nations soverignity and self-rule.
We will not get access to the free market unless we allow free movement of labour on the same terms as now, except the concessions are gone. That much is crystal clear and has been made such from the beginning. Not that I think free movement is a problem... it is the people who don't like shops with Polish names and people trying to learn English in our schools that do.