Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Untied

It's not only that Hannan said immigration may remain the same, it's that he was actually open to keeping free movement of labour. No control taken back whatsoever. A columnist said recently that the Tory Leaver's ideal is a fairly libertarian low tax, low regulation country with high levels of immigration for the economy, the only trouble was that they'd only get 20% of people voting for it. They needed a better selling point.

A cynic would say they don't care about the potential backlash, because it'll be in heavily Labour areas.
Eurosceptics have manage to harness their cause to anti-immigration sentiment to achieve their aims. The 1997 UKIP manifesto makes little mention of immigration for instance. I mean listening to one of Farage's many victory speeches his primary interest is clearly the complete destruction of the EU project.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Ok. You do that and let us now how it goes.
Have you been living under a rock lately? You might have noticed that border controls, passport checks etc. are back in a lot of countries, including Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

Are they thrown out of the EU now and have we lost our EEF trade agreement?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Daniel Hannan admitting that immigration wil not fall.
Leave have pulled the greatest con in political history.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
You have petrol and we want your petrol, they don't have petrol and we don't care about the rest. England are closer to Turkey than Norway.
Almost like each country is in a unique situation with vastly different variables and condititions and yet some think it's perfectly acceptable to compare them.

It's like comparing a strikers stats with a midfielders.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Have you been living under a rock lately? You might have noticed that border controls, passport checks etc. are back in a lot of countries, including Sweden, Norway and Denmark.

The EU doesn't care about that, as long as the merchandise are free to move for free, you can control all the EU citizens that you want.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Those people think they have been affected by immigration. Most have not. They have been affected by cuts and austerity, for sure. They have been affected by the financial crisis. They have been affected by poor policy and underinvestment in law enforcement. And now their voices have been heard, but they have voted for something that will not change immigration, it will simply give the government greater power to feck them over (or not, if we eventually get a government that doesn't). It is the wrong answer to the wrong question.
As I said. Good thing about leaving is accountability is completely at our governments feet now.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
Eurosceptics have manage to harness their cause to anti-immigration sentiment to achieve their aims. The 1997 UKIP manifesto makes little mention of immigration for instance. I mean listening to one of Farage's many victory speeches his primary interest is clearly the complete destruction of the EU project.
Yes, UKIP pivoted to racism to help them electorally

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
The Schengen free-movement deal and the free trade agreement are two seperate entities altogether, in fact there is a overwhelming voice towards ditching the free-movement and Schengen deal in Norway now, and it won't affect our free-trade EEF deal for shit.

Stop letting the scaremongers in EU scare you. They have no right to dictate your control of your own borders as a sovereign nation. How this illusion has been spun by the EU and the fecktards in Brussel is nothing short of a masterclass.
I'm not talking about Schengen, we never had that anyway.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Yes it is a con. They know full well they cannot realistically offer a points system (as if that is some magic cure-all anyway). I love how people bring up the Australian system as if it would work here. Joke.

SwansonsTache

You hope it won't but it will. Any rules you impose on EU citizens will be met with equal or more severe rules on yours
Funny thing is we already had a huge discussion on this.

In Norway we have extremely good benefits and welfare, if you are employed in Norway for 3 months and gets fired or loose your job you can get £1900 a month from the government, more if you have children. We had a huge problem with people from Eastern Europe coming to Norway, working for 3 months and then going back home and living of Norwegian benefits which basically is a fortune in their own countries.

The Norwegian government said hell no and demanded that everyone that should receive this benefit lives in Norway, the EU made a big thing out of it and basically demanded that we paid out the benefit independent of where the receiver lived. We opposed, and got our will. With no reprocussions whatsoever, simply because we are not a member of the EU and our free trade agreement is just that, a free trade ageement. Not a carte blanche for the EU to decide over our national resources, tax money or national policies.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

As long as you have an EU passport you're in, thats not border control, just a 10 minute delay

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know

In Norway we have extremely good benefits and welfare, if you are employed in Norway for 3 months and gets fired or loose your job you can get £1900 a month from the government, more if you have children. We had a huge problem with people from Eastern Europe coming to Norway, working for 3 months and then going back home and living of Norwegian benefits which basically is a fortune in their own countries.

The Norwegian government said hell no and demanded that everyone that should receive this benefit lives in Norway, the EU made a big thing out of it and basically demanded that we paid out the benefit independent of where the receiver lived. We opposed, and got our will. With no reprocussions whatsoever, simply because we are not a member of the EU and our free trade agreement is just that, a free trade ageement. Not a carte blanche for the EU to decide over our national resources, tax money or national policies.
Thats less then what Britain had agreed with the EU whilst still being a member, except we had a 4 year moritorium on new migrants getting benefits

Untied

Well at least we've proved our importance to the world by wiping $2,100,000,000,000 off the value of the global economy.

sincher

As long as you have an EU passport you're in, thats not border control, just a 10 minute delay
Yes the controls are temporary (at least for now) and their entire purpose is to control immigration from non EU citizens due to the migrant crisis... which all countries can and the UK does (fairly badly).

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality

The fact you can afford to pay that kind of money when someone loses their job though, isn't that to do with the fact you have trillions of £ from vast natural resources Norway has as its disposal and only 5.5 million people?

It's really hard to do that in the UK where not much in the way of natural resources and a population of nearly 50 million.

My girlfriend is Norwegian and she brought up the fact of maybe the UK joining the EFTA today like Norway is, but I really don't think the UK is in a great position trade wise.

A lot of my family some of whom voted leave there reasons were "we export far more than we import" which yes is true, but a lot of factories will move elsewhere due to the costs of not being a member of the EU.

It's going to be a minefield getting around this now.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Part of me just wants to see the whole economy crumble and collapse just to say I told you so. Unfortunately I also have to live in this country so that would also feck me up royally but when your future is dictated to by morons that's the feelings you get.

SwansonsTache

Thats less then what Britain had agreed with the EU whilst still being a member, except we had a 4 year moritorium on new migrants getting benefits
I should add that this is net, a single mother with two kids for example will get something like £4000 a month in Norway.

And just to clarify, that I specifically mentioned Eastern Europe is not a slight on that part of Europe, it is simply because this loophole became almost legendary in certain nations in Eastern Europe and there were literally pamplets distributed on how to take advantage of it.

sincher

The fact you can afford to pay that kind of money when someone loses their job though, isn't that to do with the fact you have Trillions of £ from vast natural resources Norway has as its disposal and only 5.5 million people?

It's really hard to do that in the UK where not much in the way of natural resources and a population of nearly 50 million.

My girlfriend is Norwegian and she brought up the fact of maybe the UK joining the EFTA today like Norway is, but I really don't think the UK is in a great position trade wise.

A lot of my family some of whom voted leave there reasons were "we export far more than we import" which yes is true, but a lot of factories will move elsewhere due to the costs of not being a member of the EU.

We don't export far more than we import at all.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Part of me just wants to see the whole economy crumble and collapse just to say I told you so. Unfortunately I also have to live in this country so that would also feck me up royally but when your future is dictated to by morons that's the feelings you get.
If you want I'm up for finding a new landmass and declaring a new country.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
I should add that this is net, a single mother with two kids for example will get something like £4000 a month in Norway.

And just to clarify, that I specifically mentioned Eastern Europe is not a slight on that part of Europe, it is simply because this loophole became almost legendary in certain nations in Eastern Europe and there were literally pamplets distributed on how to take advantage of it.
But like I said we Brits managed a compromise on a similar benefit within the EU. You being out and us being in didn't make the difference

SwansonsTache

The fact you can afford to pay that kind of money when someone loses their job though, isn't that to do with the fact you have trillions of £ from vast natural resources Norway has as its disposal and only 5.5 million people?

Yes I think the situation is different for Norway compared to the UK. Norway is almost a perfect example of a country that would be a lot worse off in the EU than outside it. We are a small country that would have zero sway whatsoever in the EU, but our GDP and natural resources are enormous, which would have made us pay through our noses to the EU and essentially loose control over our natural resources and our sovereign rights to manage these. The EU has tried numerous times to impose on Norwegian fish and oil resources for example.

But what we dont have, and that you have in England is relevance, a financial sector and size in the EU. You are a huge economy and you have a lot of sway in Europe. Kicking Slovenia to the curb if they decide to leave is one thing, England is a totally different proposition.

Most of the scaremongering and chest-thumping you see from the EU now is simply to stop other countries from going down the same route. Finland and Denmark for example are really keen to leave the EU and I personally think they are only 1-2 years away from doing it.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

Yep I can confirm that Polish people have been exploiting that heavily. I have no idea why you allow this other than the amounts are so insignificant for Norway that you honestly don't care.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You mean all those bigoted idiots they've been interviewing on the news telling us how they've got their country back haven't actually got their country back?!

RedFish

The ones that will suffer the most will be those that harbour hopes that leaving the EU will somehow improve their lives without them ne eding to do anything themselves, or using their initiative to improve their own circumstances. This country is propped up by immigrant workers. The educated folk will get by and suck it up, but those looking for a magical solution are in for a huge let down, those gullible enough to listen to the politicians (Boris, Grove et al) who feed on their insecurity to serve their own political agenda. Sad days.

Evan Davis loses his mind over change of tone on freedom of movement

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't think they have. This is the most bizarre thing, Remain was the one that had brought up immigration control. This might be wrong FYI, heard it on the radio without checking myself.

I finally got the email, expect it to bump up quickly.
Seen it... fecking loves the EU now doesn't he

Last edited: