Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Although politically stupid, Farage was ready to call for a third referendum (including the one in 1973) if his side lost. People forget this and forget the incessant whingeing by euphobes over the last 40 years.
I think Farage was talking about the £9m of public money the Govt spent on trying to convince the country to Remain....

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I think Farage was talking about the £9m of public money the Govt spent on trying to convince the country to Remain....
At least it was the government and not some dodgy outsider, such as Murdoch, who has been on a crusade to get the country to leave the EU for decades.

Funny how that piece of information never enters the conversation on democracy and undue influence. But anything is allowed, including lying, so the end goal can be achieved. Farage has a history of this that's for sure.

WackyWengerWorld

Supports
Arsenal
Surely even hardcore Remainers would agree that this is outrageous!!

You do realise democracy is about continually voting on issues as the facts and times change rather than 1 vote at 1 time being the rule for all eternity?

jackofalltrades

Gove has announced that British farmers will be paid to plant meadows. That'll teach the EU how to deal with milk lakes and butter mountains. The subsidies will end just after the next general election - what a canny coincidence.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I think you mean TTIP, TPP was more of an American electoral concern back then.

You do realise democracy is about continually voting on issues as the facts and times change rather than 1 vote at 1 time being the rule for all eternity?
Did you vote in the UK's referendum on the Lisbon Treaty then, or the one we held for our policy toward the Accession states?

You get out what you put in, and Remainer MPs didn't care a damn in those days.

Member 5225

Are you serious? So continual referendums on the same subject?!

Switzerland has loads of referendums doesn’t it, how do they deal with it?

Member 5225

At least it was the government and not some dodgy outsider, such as Murdoch, who has been on a crusade to get the country to leave the EU for decades.

Funny how that piece of information never enters the conversation on democracy and undue influence. But anything is allowed, including lying, so the end goal can be achieved. Farage has a history of this that's for sure.
Forget the issue, don’t you think it was morally devious of the Govt to spend public money (not private money, not donations etc) on collateral for a particular side for a question put to the people?

vidic blood & sand

So it should be 41 years till the next EU referendum?
Or do you think the recent referendum should have been a lot earlier than 2016?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
That sounds a joyless job.
"Basically your job is meaningless because it won't happen. But if it does happen we're completely fecked anyway. Enjoy. And please don't explain 'what Brexit means' to David because I've been telling him to Google it for weeks."

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Christ

The government should have started this whole ordeal with it as it would give them a clear idea of the impact of a no deal and how these problems could be mitigated if such thing happened. The two options (deal and no deal) should have worked independently while sharing information to determine which path to take in the circumstances at place.

Instead they left it late and will give the impression that its just another smoke screen meant to make the eu think that the uk is taking a no deal situation seriously.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I take it the Cafe's decided there is no chance of a no deal then? I'm not sure why as we simply don't know what the EU will demand yet, personally I'm making no predictions until we do.

Remember how we all laughed at 'Brexit means brexit', until it gradually sank in? Well maybe 'No deal is better than a bad deal' hasn't gone away either.

Would it be shit? Yeah course it would, might it happen? yeah, it might actually.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I take it the Cafe's decided there is no chance of a no deal then? I'm not sure why as we simply don't know what the EU will demand yet, personally I'm making no predictions until we do.

Remember how we all laughed at 'Brexit means brexit', until it gradually sank in? Well maybe 'No deal is better than a bad deal' hasn't gone away either.

Would it be shit? Yeah course it would, might it happen? yeah, it might actually.
What is that supposed to mean? The UK knows rules, they are the ones who are supposed to tell what they want.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"

But if it happens, TM is directly responsible for both the event and the aftermath. Appointing a minister to it is just slopy shouldered political BS.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What is that supposed to mean? The UK knows rules, they are the ones who are supposed to tell what they want.
'Supposed to mean'? I think whatever the UK asks for the EU will say how much it would cost in terms of climb-downs and cash. So we waiting to find out what it's 'supposed to mean' if you will.

But if it happens, TM is directly responsible for both the event and the aftermath. Appointing a minister to it is just slopy shouldered political BS.
Yes, TM, and the voters who voted Brexit of course.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
'Supposed to mean'? I think whatever the UK asks for the EU will say how much it would cost in terms of climb-downs and cash. So we waiting to find out what it's 'supposed to mean' if you will.

Yes, TM, and the voters who voted Brexit of course.
Yeah but there's Brexit and Brexit... I mean if it were me I would just be doing a Norway style deal all the way and everything else would be political posturing to appease anti immigration idiots. Which might actually be happening, but hard to be sure.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Yeah but there's Brexit and Brexit... I mean if it were me I would just be doing a Norway style deal all the way and everything else would be political posturing to appease anti immigration idiots. Which might actually be happening, but hard to be sure.
I agree, but the possibility depends partly on how much the EU would ask in return. Which we just don't know yet.

JPRouve

Scout
But you need to actually have a position on what type of relationship you want with the EU and you need actually ask for something, which has allegedly not happen. That's what I meant and why I was questioning your point, I wasn't sure about the chronology that you were using. The EU can't tell the UK much, if the latter don't express a clear position, I'm under the impression that the UK and a part of the press is inventing a world where the EU are supposed to initiate and direct UK's foreign policy, which is a weird concept.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
But you need to actually have a position on what type of relationship you want with the EU and you need actually ask for something, which has allegedly not happen. That's what I meant and why I was questioning your point, I wasn't sure about the chronology that you were using. The EU can't tell the UK much, if the latter don't express a clear position, I'm under the impression that the UK and a part of the press is inventing a world where the EU are supposed to initiate and direct UK's foreign policy, which is a weird concept.
Just a wrong impression then I think JP. Barnier has said on several occasions the UK should hurry up in saying what it wants, which is probably where you've got it from, but that will still be the start for sure. How much of what happens next will be in the public domain I'm not sure though, some of it won't come out for years, and the press will print whatever suits their own agenda anyway.

JPRouve

Scout
Just a wrong impression then I think JP. Barnier has said on several occasions the UK should hurry up in saying what it wants, which is probably where you've got it from, but that will still be the start for sure. How much of what happens next will be in the public domain I'm not sure though, some of it won't come out for years, and the press will print whatever suits their own agenda anyway.
We have enough in the public domain to know that they have no clue about where they want to be. Just think about the "No custom union but no border" position that they put on paper and then they changed that position in November-December. They have no clue, they have no clear plan other than try to please everyone and no one at the same time which isn't a position from Brexit POV.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

The government is certainly insane enough to go for a no deal but they know (even though they won't admit it) that should there be no membership of the CU or the SM then the Irish border closes , WTO rules apply and a large chunk of the City will disappear. To have membership of the CU and the SM there has to be a deal.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
https://news.sky.com/story/nigel-fa...questions-he-will-ask-michel-barnier-11199980

Nigel Farage will ask Michel Barnier these three questions. I wonder how he will answer them. That would be my take

Does Michel Barnier understand why Britain voted for Brexit?

Well you have to ask that to the British voter for that. Guaranteed access to the single market without any responsibilities attached to it, avoiding rules about bendy bananas, blue passports and the famous 350m a week to the NHS would be my take

What happens to the EU’s economy if there’s no trade deal with Britain?

The EU will lose a trade partner which equals to 8 to 10%. Its regrettable of course but each EU country can still rely on the biggest economic market in the world + loads of trade deals beyond of that. Id be panicking if we were going to lose the market we sell around half of all our services and goods to.

How does Michel Barnier view mass immigration into the EU coming across the Mediterranean and elsewhere?

Its a humanitarian crisis that need to be better managed. However such argument should not be discussed with the Brexit negotiator, unless of course, immigration is the very reason why the UK is leaving the EU.

JPRouve

Scout

"If you don't give us what we want we will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot until you do, so there!"
Or "Listen Mr Barnier, when I'm finished eating that cake, it better be intact."

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We have enough in the public domain to know that they have no clue about where they want to be. Just think about the "No custom union but no border" position that they put on paper and then they changed that position in November-December. They have no clue, they have no clear plan other than try to please everyone and no one at the same time which isn't a position from Brexit POV.
Absolutely, all I've said is I'm surprised the cafe is so sure there will be a deal, and that no deal is still on the cards. :)