Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Member 5225

Thats how referendums work Paz, they exist because of the political situation at the time and the mood of citizens/electorate.
And re-executed over and over and over again?

Curious, do you support new Scottish independence referendum?

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
And re-executed over and over and over again?

Curious, do you support new Scottish independence referendum?
If the political situation dictates. Theres enough doubt about Brexit around to make a 2nd referendum possible. You can't say democracy only works when it suits me or my ideals and once my sides won then that should be enough. The result was so tight there was always going to be doubt and discourse about it plus referendums arent the same as elections.

As for Scotland yes I would want a second referendum as I am a nationalist and would hope a successfully independant Scotland would hasten a United Ireland.

Member 5225

If the political situation dictates. Theres enough doubt about Brexit around to make a 2nd referendum possible. You can't say democracy only works when it suits me or my ideals and once my sides won then that should be enough. The result was so tight there was always going to be doubt and discourse about it plus referendums arent the same as elections.

As for Scotland yes I would want a second referendum as I am a nationalist and would hope a successfully independant Scotland would hasten a United Ireland.
So if the UK / EU had agreed in Jun 2016 that we need a deal by Dec 2016 to avoid uncertainty for both sides, and we did, you’d still clamour for a re-think even now?
If not, opportunistic much?

Very interesting re your ‘nationalist’ outlook, but seems you are also pro-EU?!

Edit: AV voting system referendum a good example too; guessing should be voted on every few months / years too?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
You can't say democracy only works when it suits me or my ideals and once my sides won then that should be enough..
Had only the Remainer dominated parliament acted thus in the past. Such direct democrac y was felt to be an unneceesary, however. Or in the case of the Lib Dems, bless their cottons, they wanted a simple In/Out vote to put the issue to bed once and for all.

Should MPs so choose, they are empowered to establish a set of procedures for ongoing national referenda in the future. I'd be fully on board myself. I can think of a few worthwile questions for the first half of 2018 alone: cannabis legalisation, future funding suggestions for the NHS, and measures targeted at plastic pllution.

Ramshock

So if the UK / EU had agreed in Jun 2016 that we need a deal by Dec 2016 to avoid uncertainty for both sides, and we did, you’d still clamour for a re-think even now?

Edit: AV voting system referendum a good example too; guessing should be voted on every few months / years too?
Why does me wanting to maintain the current status within EU as a vastly better option than Brexit make me pro EU. It makes me anti poverty not pro EU

Last edited:

Ramshock

They didnt agree though did they Paz? Its not a hypothetical situation. If the conditions allow for there to be enough momentum to allow a 2nd amendment then so be it. If Brexit was ratified done and dusted by now then thats that game over...rat pie and blue passports for everyone.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He's been crucified in the replies. Marmite was invented by a German. Marmite and PG Tips are made by a 50% Dutch owned company etc etc

Apart from anything else, it looks like one of the shittest hampers of food you've ever seen. Bulked up with a book about Winston Churchill he probably bought at a service station en route to the airport. The whole thing is straight out of Alan Partridge.

MoskvaRed

Cringeworthy but, with a bottle of gin and some other bottle of booze hidden in that red gift packet, it might work on Juncker.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
On the subject of food...

A fitting reposte for the racist and classist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, following her most recent anti-Brexit column:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
While its easy to mock the hamper, its more symbolic than anything else.

I imagine the dutch would include douwe egberts coffee in their hamper but there aren't that many coffee bean growers in holland.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

I imagine the dutch would include douwe egberts coffee in their hamper but there aren't that many coffee bean growers in holland.
I imagine the Dutch wouldn't a) try to leave the EU or b) come up with such an embarrassing way of trying to show what the EU will miss when they're gone.

If they did, the basket would be filled with tulips and fresh fruit and veg. Probably some Edam cheese and a bottle of Heineken too. It would look a hell of a lot less shit than than the piece of work cobbled together by your lot.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam

Symbolic of what? How fecked your industries are when it'll be much harder to import raw ingredients?

Not to mention as so many reply tweets have said, Winston "United States Of Europe" Churchill.

There's only so many faces to palm in the world, have mercy.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

A fitting reposte for the racist and classist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, following her most recent anti-Brexit column.
Absolutely, as long as by 'fitting reposte' you actually mean 'terribly written, intentionally misleading and basically idiotic riposte'.

The fact he tries to claim she 'mixed up' Europe and the EU by using the two interchangably says about all that needs to be said about this nonsense.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Yes it is symbolic. Symbolic of a silliness and lack of seriousness that our media seems to encourage in our leaders. Just like when a group of elected politicians went along with this..

You think foreign governments see this stuff and think they're dealing with serious professionals? We're dealing with the single biggest foreign and domestic political challenge of our generation, and we have our politicians acting like they're on Noel's fecking House Party.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.

A fitting reposte for the racist and classist Yasmin Alibhai-Brown, following her most recent anti-Brexit column:
The best thing about that lame attempt at satire (how old is the writer? 12?) is that it drew my attention to Alibhai-Brown’s piece. I hadn’t read anything by her before and she writes quite well. Yer man could learn a lot from her. Not just about Europe.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Yes it is symbolic. Symbolic of a silliness and lack of seriousness that our media seems to encourage in our leaders. Just like when a group of elected politicians went along with this..

You think foreign governments see this stuff and think they're dealing with serious professionals? We're dealing with the single biggest foreign and domestic political challenge of our generation, and we have our politicians acting like they're on Noel's fecking House Party.
Gove looks like he's holding up a hospital drip. Is it feeding him or Global Britain??

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The best thing about that lame attempt at satire (how old is the writer? 12?) is that it drew my attention to Alibhai-Brown’s piece. I hadn’t read anything by her before and she writes quite well. Yer man could learn a lot from her. Not just about Europe.
I'm sure i couuld find you a Remainer columnist without the snobbery and racial prejudice...

I've been watching Alibhai-Brown as a panellist on Dateline London for many years (the line-up changes weekly), she is among the worst on there irrespective of one's politics.

Unless you are anti-English in particlar, prejudiced against working-class people and are nauseatingly conceited, i'm not sure that there's a lot to like in her aarticle.

Silva

• Marmite – invented by a German and owned by the Anglo-Dutch company Unilever, which has raised a series of warnings over the impact Brexit will have on UK business.

• PG Tips – also owned by Unilever. The company has delayed announcing the location of its headquarters due to fears around Brexit.

• Hendrick’s Gin – produced by William Grant & Sons in Girvan, Scotland, it moved its base to Dublin for trading reasons.

• Fortnum & Mason tea, piccalilli and marmalade – the boss of London’s flagship luxury department store warned last month that Brexit had damaged the UK’s brand and was struggling to find staff.

• Dorset cheddar cheese – enjoys protected origin status provided by the EU. It is supplied by the Queen’s cheesemonger Paxton & Whitfield, which sells as much European cheese as it does British.

• Biography of Winston Churchill – Arguably the greatest Briton, Churchill called for a United States of Europe in 1946 and was never known to be a little Englander. Mr Barnier had just seen His Darkest Hour according to his aides.

• Complete Works of Shakespeare – Difficult to say how he would have voted being dead for over 400 years but he set many of his plays across Europe and liberally stole from other European dramatists and writers.
I have gone for Pot smoking liberal elite for Shakespeare, but you can't win them all.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
They thought the EU will crumble into pieces the day Brexit happened or at least it will bend over backwards and give the UK whatever it wanted. That seems more unlikely every passing day. No wonder why these talks of a second referendum are gaining momentum. If they lose then they will come out as beacons of democracy and 'reluctantly' withdraw their article 50 letter. If they win, well, no one can really blame them for their mess can they?

I hope the EU won't accept it. We can't have countries playing games like that.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
I have gone for Pot smoking liberal elite for Shakespeare, but you can't win them all.
What's your point? Is my inherent Brexit-based racism and insular mind supposed to suffer some form of psychotic break beause there might be a foreign connection to things which Brits like? :smirk: