Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I don't get how so many people have decided that parliament having the right to reject an agreed deal makes soft brexit a certainty. At no point will the EU be negotiating in some sort of back and forth manner with parliament, it will be negotiating with government. If a resulting agreement is then rejected by parliament all that will be left is hard brexit. There seems to be some weird belief that the EU will keep offering new terms until parliament is happy with them, and that there's no timescale involved.

How May is supposed to handle this I've no idea either, but I do suspect that the next thing May puts to Brussels will be thrown straight back at her anyway, and all the balls will be up in the air again soon enough.

Last edited:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
My problem with Abbott is partially superficial. The way she talks when answering a question as if everyone is hearing the English language for the very first time is super irritating.
It is super annoying, but it also tricks people into thinking she’s not smart. It’s worth remembering she’s a Cambridge graduate who has smashed barriers her whole career and earned the Parliamentary Speech of the Year once. Very, very sharp lady.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't get how so many people have decided that parliament having the right to reject an agreed deal makes soft brexit a certainty. At no point will the EU be negotiating in some sort of back and forth manner with parliament, it will be negotiating with government. If a resulting agreement is then rejected by parliament all that will be left is hard brexit. There seems to be some weird belief that the EU will keep offering new terms until parliament is happy with them, and that there's no timescale involved.

How May is supposed to handle this I've no idea either, but I do suspect that the next thing May puts to Brussels will be thrown straight back at her anyway, and all the balls will be up in the air again soon enough.
Yes, totally agree.
She's got until October to say whether the UK are staying in the CU/SM or not.

I've watched parts of Sky News over the last couple of days and both Leave and Remain MPs are still spouting the rubbish that they think they can pick and choose which bits they want from the EU. What is so difficult for them to understand?

The supposed meaningful vote means whether the country is going to accept the CU/SM or not - as you say if they don't it's off the cliff with them. The EU are not going to wait until February for a decision.

nickm

Well that just makes it sound like a cult or a dictatorship, this is what North Korea does.
The whole point of being a member is for the benefits. When you leave, you lose the benefits. The perception that this a strategy by the EU... well it has a small amount of truth, but the larger truth is founded in the reality of the benefits the EU is there to provide for its members.

Ultimately the EU does actually have a lot more muscle than the UK.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The whole point of being a member is for the benefits. When you leave, you lose the benefits. The perception that this a strategy by the EU... well it has a small amount of truth, but the larger truth is founded in the reality of the benefits the EU is there to provide for its members.

Ultimately the EU does actually have a lot more muscle than the UK.
Exactly, it's like leaving a collocation and expect to keep the keys and have free access to everything while not having to respect the rules established by current inhabitants. It makes absolutely no sense.

Baxter

State of the SNP.

No power. Exactly. ‘England’s’ Parliament doesn’t give a feck about Scotland’s voice and it’s exactly why the impact on devolution was swept under the carpet yesterday too.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

No power. Exactly. ‘England’s’ Parliament doesn’t give a feck about Scotland’s voice and it’s exactly why the impact on devolution was swept under the carpet yesterday too.

They have my sympathy but what was the point of walking out?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
As much as I hate May, I detest the smugness of that prick Johnson. This is not a game but the future of the country, you blonde buffoon.

Marcelinho87

As much as I hate May, I detest the smugness of that prick Johnson. This is not a game but the future of the country, you blonde buffoon.
He gets that word thrown at him a lot and it is time we stopped acting as though he is thick. This man knows EXACTLY what he is doing he is a manipulative prick and does anything and everything with a purpose. The end game for him will be personal not for the benefit of the country or his party.

People need to stop brushing him off as some idiot, it is what he wants.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
He gets that word thrown at him a lot and it is time we stopped acting as though he is thick. This man knows EXACTLY what he is doing he is a manipulative prick and does anything and everything with a purpose. The end game for him will be personal not for the benefit of the country or his party.

While I always think he gets too much credit for his obvious acts of idiocy, I recognise it is not by virtue of his lack of intelligence he takes these actions.

I use the word as a way of describing how reckless his actions are, not so much the size of his IQ.

caid

I'd be more inclined to agree he isn't an idiot if that wasn't so blatantly transparent. Ok he's not a total moron but he isn't clever by any stretch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Sick burn and will always enjoy it when that happens to May, but I fecking hate parliament. It's a wonder we ever got anywhere, but no wonder we don't move forward as fast and as well as we should. It's a shitshow.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It appears the government fecked up and hardly anyone noticed.

"Earlier I said that, at the start of the EU withdrawal bill debate, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve and Sir Keir Starmer said an amendment passed yesterday with virtually no attention paid to it would effectively keep the UK in the single market. (See 1.55pm and 2.41pm.)

This is what Clarke, the Conservative former chancellor, said about the amendment.

It was the most significant thing that happened yesterday, but in the circus that surrounded everything, and the timetable that stopped us debating it, nobody so far has taken any notice. The legally binding commitment yesterday extends the needs of the Irish border to the whole of the United Kingdom. So we’re talking about Dover, and we settled that yesterday. We’re not having a border down the Irish sea, so the United Kingdom has got to negotiate an arrangement with the EU as a whole that has no new frontier barriers. So effectively we are going to reproduce the customs union and the single market and the government will not be able to comply with yesterday’s legal obligation unless it does so."

Abizzz

It appears the government fecked up and hardly anyone noticed.

"Earlier I said that, at the start of the EU withdrawal bill debate, Ken Clarke, Dominic Grieve and Sir Keir Starmer said an amendment passed yesterday with virtually no attention paid to it would effectively keep the UK in the single market. (See 1.55pm and 2.41pm.)

This is what Clarke, the Conservative former chancellor, said about the amendment.

It was the most significant thing that happened yesterday, but in the circus that surrounded everything, and the timetable that stopped us debating it, nobody so far has taken any notice. The legally binding commitment yesterday extends the needs of the Irish border to the whole of the United Kingdom. So we’re talking about Dover, and we settled that yesterday. We’re not having a border down the Irish sea, so the United Kingdom has got to negotiate an arrangement with the EU as a whole that has no new frontier barriers. So effectively we are going to reproduce the customs union and the single market and the government will not be able to comply with yesterday’s legal obligation unless it does so."
That sounds great. Any opinions on whether this will work?

stevoc

Clowns like Johnson don't give a feck about the country or anyone in it. They are only in it for their own benefit.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I love Tory and Labour Brexit thinking on the CU/SM
Never mind the millions of other problems this will bring to the UK if they leave, notably NI.

What is clear is that not having a frictionless border with the EU will mean the end of the car manufacturing industry in the UK.
They want to leave the CU/SM so that they can make their own trade deals, even ignoring that unicorn.

The countries they want to deal with, for example:
USA, Australia, China, Canada, New Zealand

What currently is the UK's biggest export, by far, to those countries; yes, it's cars.
So when Fox tries to get the FTA with those countries and they say yes, we're interested in maintaining or even increasing your car supply, Fox says "Sorry we don't make cars any more. Can I interest you in a pork pie?"

caid

Pretty worrying circumstances the last few days. You have the tabloids with their front pages declaring any dissenting MP's traitors 2 (?) years after Jo Cox was murdered for pretty much doing just that. Death threats, Conservatives being in the back pockets of Russia. The farce that was forcing through everything with as little debate as possible in one day and the PM making contradictory promises to members of her own party. Then it seems that the only reaction the leader of the opposition can manage is to make a shit joke about how incompetent the person in charge of negotiations is at negotiating, so his backbenchers can scream down the head of state with a ridiculous fake laugh and one of her most senior ministers can publicly embarrass her for the thousandth time.

GloryHunter07

If you can't point and laugh at someone who, just over a year ago, was spouting on endlessly about her strong and stable leadership I'm not sure you can ever laugh at anyone for anything.
Pointing and laughing is fine but i am not sure Jezza is really offering a viable alternative solution on Brexit.

Good joke though.

Last edited:

Oscie

Pointing and laughing is fine but i am not sure Jezza is really offering a viable alternative solution on Brexit.

Good joke though.

Nonsense. The Tories want a pie in the sky deal where they can keep all the benefits of a customs union and single market without any of the obligations like freedom of movement. Whereas Labour want a pie in the sky deal where they can keep all the benefits of a customs union and single market without any of the obligations like freedom of movement.

If you can't call that credible opposition then what is. They're also opposing UKIP's xenophobic immigration policy by mirroring UKIP's xenophobic immigration policy.

But I for one am pleased the party is being led by a man of principle and not some kind of electoral opportunist who sees winning votes as the be all and end all. The reason Labour oppose freedom of movement is because of Corbyn's deeply held conviction that not doing so might be politically disadvantageous.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I like how Johnson isn't even remotely subtle about what he's doing. Stabbing in the back? More like stabbing in the front.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I like how Johnson isn't even remotely subtle about what he's doing. Stabbing in the back? More like stabbing in the front.
Some might say that’s morally better, although it’s hard to shake the feeling he probably aimed for the back and missed.

Classical Mechanic

He wants to be sacked from the cabinet in order to; not only avoid any stains from Brexit but also to profit from any fallout. As it stands Brexit goes on his CV.

May knows this and 1. won't give him the satisfaction - but 2. can't afford to sack him as the fractures could see her government implode.