Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Green_Red

Ok, let's start with Open Skies, then Euratom. Tell me how they work in this magical No Deal scenario of yours and then we'll get on to the complicated stuff...
What do you actually know about either of those things?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
No deal gives you the ability to start fresh. That terrible deal will noose you to Europe. And thats what it is a noose. And Europe are fecking laughing their bolloxs off knowing yous are going to agree to it.
No deal paralyses the country. Why would you want to destroy the economy to start afresh. What does that mean? What will the UK obtain that is better than they already have and how long will they have to wait for it.
What is the goal that the UK are seeking?

If the UK could be self sufficient, not have to deal with the outside world at all and stay on their island you could almost understand Brexit, but even then why would you do that.

Green_Red

You answer my question first, then ask your own...
Haha what feckin age are you? I know nothing about either. Open Skies is an agreement between US and EU. Thats something you will have to renegotiate on your own with the US and EU.

Listen Im not running for Prime Minister here so I dont jump to every question Im asked. At the end of the day I dont have to provide a solution to all the problems and pushing that as an agenda to try and silence me is frankly childish.

Leaving is not going to be easy but look at the benefits long term and the deal that ties you to Europe is not worth taking.

C3Pique

So you know nothing about either, but think you know enough for the UK to abandon all agreements that tie us to the EU.

The type of insight that got us into this mess in the first place.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Haha what feckin age are you? I know nothing about either. Open Skies is an agreement between US and EU. Thats something you will have to renegotiate on your own with the US and EU.

Listen Im not running for Prime Minister here so I dont jump to every question Im asked. At the end of the day I dont have to provide a solution to all the problems and pushing that as an agenda to try and silence me is frankly childish.

Leaving is not going to be easy but look at the benefits long term and the deal that ties you to Europe is not worth taking.
But what are the benefits long term?

As other posters have already pointed out, nobody knows anything about the long term. No studies have taken place on it, there's nothing. Nobody has a clue where a hard Brexit will leave the UK in ten years, only that it will probably feck them, and others in the short-term once they do it. They might recover and become a bigger economy, or it might leave them fecked, nobody knows.

Trying to speculate on long term benefits and whatnot is naive thinking because nothing like this has ever happened before so we simply do not have a clue. It's as silly as the leaver's whole campaign and logic in the first place, quite frankly.

Green_Red

No deal paralyses the country. Why would you want to destroy the economy to start afresh. What does that mean? What will the UK obtain that is better than they already have and how long will they have to wait for it.
What is the goal that the UK are seeking?

If the UK could be self sufficient, not have to deal with the outside world at all and stay on their island you could almost understand Brexit, but even then why would you do that.
But you're out, so why are you asking those questions now?

You will NOT get any deal from Europe that benefits Britain. Never happening. So wake up to that. If you take the soft brexit in 5 years you will be complaining aboit how May and the tories fecked the country by taking such a bad deal.

Green_Red

So you know nothing about either, but think you know enough for the UK to abandon all agreements that tie us to the EU.

The type of insight that got us into this mess in the first place.
You havent actually said anything in about 8 messages. Nothing...

C3Pique

You havent actually said anything in about 8 messages. Nothing...
And neither have you, only you are presenting No Deal as a viable option. But with no tangiable, proven benefits, and no solutions to the inevitable problems that will arise.

I don't have an answer because there is no good outcome if Brexit happens. But No Deal is the very, very, very worst option.

Massive Spanner

You will NOT get any deal from Europe that benefits Britain. Never happening. So wake up to that. If you take the soft brexit in 5 years you will be complaining aboit how May and the tories fecked the country by taking such a bad deal.
They will though. You're looking at it in terms of current deal vs future deal, but if you look at it in terms of future deal vs no deal...

Green_Red

They will though. You're looking at it in terms of current deal vs future deal, but if you look at it in terms of future deal vs no deal...
Thats exactly what I am saying. Use the Economic Area agreement to buy time and get a proper deal... Dont take the soft deal.

Massive Spanner

Thats exactly what I am saying. Use the Economic Area agreement to buy time and get a proper deal... Dont take the soft deal.
Sorry but I don't get you, this is what you said before?
No deal gives you the ability to start fresh. That terrible deal will noose you to Europe. And thats what it is a noose. And Europe are fecking laughing their bolloxs off knowing yous are going to agree to it.
And anyway, even on your first point, regardless of whether the UK take the agreement or not, they won't get a different deal if they do, it doesn't matter if they take a deal now, or two, or five years down the line, the EU rules will still be the same.

if/when the UK leave the EU the only "good" deal (i.e. less bad, because nothing is as good as what they currently have) is a soft brexit and staying in the single market. It won't get better than that.

Paul the Wolf

You decided to leave, then leave...

Go back and read my suggestion for the NI border. I am from 30 miles from the NI border in Ireland. I think its a reasonable amd achievable suggestion.

Youre in frieght handling so are looking at this in your own way. A European Economic Area Agreement similar to Norways gives the time to work out a proper agreement / deal. Why not use that mechanism?

I didn't decide to leave. I live in France, I decided to leave the UK 11 years ago. I thought you were in Australia.
Brexit is the most stupid thing the UK have done since the war. I don't live and never will live in the UK again.

EEA involves borders, it's the border that is the problem. The UK cannot cope without a frictionless border.

I don't need to ask questions, I know the answers and knew the answers long before the referendum.
Pity people didn't find out the answers before they voted.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You decided to leave, then leave...

Go back and read my suggestion for the NI border. I am from 30 miles from the NI border in Ireland. I think its a reasonable amd achievable suggestion.

Youre in frieght handling so are looking at this in your own way. A European Economic Area Agreement similar to Norways gives the time to work out a proper agreement / deal. Why not use that mechanism?
Because that's not a mechanism, that's an actual deal.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
May has been trying to push Brexit on the agenda in Brussels. The other leaders are telling her to get fecked.

Oscie

Europe's position hasn't and will not change. The irony is that UK already has a pretty cushy deal as it is now with the opt-outs and vetoes and rebates and everything else competent government's have negotiated over the years. Yet that's what we're willing to throw away. Madness.

Adebesi

I think the idea that "the EU's position will not change" is wrong. Which is not to say its going to bow to pressure from the UK. But it might bow to pressure from other EU member states who have their own agendas. Look at Italy, look at Hungary. The whole principle of freedom of movement within the EU is under pressure, it is not inconceivable it could collapse. That would be a game changer.

Not that I expect it to happen. But the point is Brexit is not happening in a vacuum and the EU position could change given the EU itself could change.

JPRouve

Scout
I think the idea that "the EU's position will not change" is wrong. Which is not to say its going to bow to pressure from the UK. But it might bow to pressure from other EU member states who have their own agendas. Look at Italy, look at Hungary. The whole principle of freedom of movement within the EU is under pressure, it is not inconceivable it could collapse. That would be a game changer.

Not that I expect it to happen. But the point is Brexit is not happening in a vacuum and the EU position could change given the EU itself could change.
Freedom of movement has nothing to do with Italy or Hungary.

Adebesi

Anyway, even if it wasnt freedom of movement that killed it, the EU itself still faces an existential threat from immigration. I dont say this because I want it to fail, or that I believe it will. But it does look a possibility. If they dont agree quotas for sharing immigrants and places like Hungary start closing their borders to immigrants an almighty row is going to break out, who knows where that would end. Or, at the end of it, what the EU position would be.

JPRouve

Scout
Doesnt the whole immigration debate put freedom of movement in question? Just Schengen, but people could still move with a passport?
No, it puts the solidarity mechanisms and principles in question, and in the case of Hungary the principle that a country shouldn't be kicked out. Freedom of movement doesn't apply to immigrants not even asylum seekers unless they become residents of a member state. This subject isn't really about the EU, it's about national governments and their willingness to support others in sensible cases like mass immigration.

Sweet Square

It is pointless trying to turn Jeremy Corbyn into a Remainer

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2018/06/it-pointless-trying-turn-jeremy-corbyn-remainer
The difficulty is that no one really knows how to sell British voters on free movement. However, they can at least imagine what it might take to convince Corbyn to change Labour Party policy on the single market. That’s the real reason Remainers spend so much time on Corbyn: because the alternative is to admit that the referendum has been lost and that the path back to membership of the EU is a long and fraught one.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If Corbyn is really serious about his "jobs first brexit" nonsense, he will start discussing the positives of free movement.
Anyway,. Corbyn and I know that that slogan is just stupid mantra so it's not going to happen.
It's frankly silly if Corbyn supporters are surprised he's his getting criticism for how he has instructed his party to vote on a number brexit issues. You get the impression some are saying labour voters should keep quiet and just follow Corbyn blindly. That's cult-like mentality.
Post is not at @Sweet Square but at the article and some of the nonsense Paul Mason has been saying recently.

vidic blood & sand

What do you mean we trade according to EU regulations?
With other nations obviously.

In the future the UK will still sell to the EU. To be able to sell to the EU the products the UK sells have to conform to EU regulations.
Obviously, but we are talking about how things will be with other nations, not how things are currently with the EU.

The UK are selling to elsewhere in the world under WTO rules, there are some free trade agreements with various countries throughout the world of which the UK were part of the negotiations on the EU team with those countries. But the WTO rules are not the only thing that govern trade.
Whether now whilst in the EU or afterwards outside the EU, whatever the UK sells to other countries has to conform to that country's regulations. That had nothing to do with the EU and won't change.
I will add that when a country such as Australia currently deals with the EU, it knows that the products it buys will conform to EU regulations whether it was manufactured in Poland, Spain or the UK. When the UK leaves the EU which standards will the UK adopt and will they meet Australian regulations?
For us to determine, which makes us sovereign.

What will change is that all those deals that the UK were part of will become null and void when the UK leaves. The UK will then have to negotiate a new deal with every single country or bloc.
Now destroying what the UK already has in order to hope that something better than they currently have might occur in the long distant future seems a very high price to pay for something which would be nigh on impossible.
What you are saying is that a corner shop could get a better deal than Tesco or Sainsbury with the wholesaler. How is that possible?
Oh wow, you really relegate the UK to a irrelevant customer.

I don't see how Italy would want to leave the EU, that would be economic suicide as well..
Then why would the Italians vote in an anti Eu government?

Sure people are fed up with immigrants/refugees but the boats will still cross the Mediterranean whether they're in or out. The problem is why there are so many refugees - sort the problem at the source.
Who sorts the problem at the source?
The EU would prefer that the UK had a strong and stable government, they don't know who they're dealing with, is it Johnson and JRM, May and Davis or the Daily Mail, who's really running the country.
Having a 100% Tory Hardline Brexit House of Commons will not change the fact that the EU are not going to allow the UK to cherry pick which parts they like.
However, I'm still unclear what the UK will negotiate. Will they pay 38 , 39 or 40 billion pounds. Citizens rights are the only real negotiating point left other than the future trade negotiations which will only start when the UK have left.
The UK have said they are leaving the CU/SM so either they change their mind or they have to put up a hard border in Ireland, not because of EU regulations but because of WTO regulations.
None of the above is clear. Everyone understands that, which is why we all have to wait and see how it pans out.

vidic blood & sand

As I understand:

- Any country would like to trade with all the countries under the most beneficial terms. Inside the EU, UK will get better deals than alone.
Bollox. If you believe that, I feel sorry for you.

Also, if any agreement is not ok for the UK, the UK can veto it ALWAYS. I don't see that argument as correct
- UK is a sovereign country, he accepts EU regulation.
Has no choice but to accept EU regulation. Not sovereign.

In trade, they have to go under EU regulations in order to sell into the EU market.
And buying?

Outside the EU, if the UK wants to sell to the EU, will need to go under EU regulations as well. The only difference is that inside the EU, the UK can influence in those regulations (actually it did to the benefit of the EU also) and now will not have any influence (at least direct).
The regulations benefit the big corporations, and the consumer loses out.

- If "issues" is an euphemism of immigration (sorry if I misunderstood that), UK has 100% sovereignty in non-EU immigration now inside the EU. being outside, will not change that fact. Again, any change in any immigration policy that is not of the like of UK, could be vetoed.
Non EU immigration is not a problem.

- About the EU immigration, UK has absolutely the right to deport any EU national that has no job and does not meet some requirements after 3 months of the arrival. Had been the UK that did not enforce this policy of which UK completely is sovereign to apply.
So?
What if a Brits have to take pay cuts because the EU national is willing to work for less pay?

In my understanding your arguments don't adjust to reality and UK is absolutely sovereign in matters of immigration and has veto capacity of any trade deal that does not agree on and the probability to have way better deals inside the EU than outside it

Could you discuss my points in case I am wrong, please?
See above.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
Bollox. If you believe that, I feel sorry for you.

Has no choice but to accept EU regulation. Not sovereign.

And buying?

The regulations benefit the big corporations, and the consumer loses out.

Non EU immigration is not a problem.

So?
What if a Brits have to take pay cuts because the EU national is willing to work for less pay?

See above.
Little bit invested in this are we?

Paul the Wolf

With other nations obviously.
No as I said WTO, EU regulations are for sales to the EU

Obviously, but we are talking about how things will be with other nations, not how things are currently with the EU.
As I said same as is.

For us to determine, which makes us sovereign.
As I said the country you are selling to dictates the regulations for the products you sell.
The UK dictates to the Supplying country the standards it requires.
When you have an agreement through the EU the supplier knows that the 27 other countries' standards are all the same and they will have access to all 27.
Dealing with the UK alone, these could be different regulations and standards and the UK are only giving access to one country , the UK.

Oh wow, you really relegate the UK to a irrelevant customer.
Not irrelevant but much much smaller and less powerful that a 27 nation teamwith a population (customers) eight times the size.

Then why would the Italians vote in an anti Eu government?
The Italians voted in an anti-immigrant (foreigner) government. It's a fairly common disease afflicting the world at the moment. Unlike the UK the anti immigrant sentiment applies to non-EU citizens. Not really anti Europeans more anti non-Europeans

Problem with Brexit, it appealed to those who dislike both Europeans and non-Europeans

Who sorts the problem at the source?
If we could do that, maybe the world would be a happier place

The other point is if all the nations were completely separate states and the EU did not exist, what would happen to these refugees/immigrants?
Would they just vanish?

None of the above is clear. Everyone understands that, which is why we all have to wait and see how it pans out.
The details are to be clarified. The four freedoms are indivisible as repeated yet again numerous times today by the EU

vidic blood & sand

No as I said WTO, EU regulations are for sales to the EU
No. Eu regulations are for sales to EU countries also, and this is what we're interested in.

As I said same as is.
What?
Things can be radically different how we trade with other countries. For one thing we can negotiate/remove tariffs buying Japanese cars.

As I said the country you are selling to dictates the regulations for the products you sell.
Which will mostly not be as regulatory as the EU.

The UK dictates to the Supplying country the standards it requires.
No. The EU dictates this.

When you have an agreement through the EU the supplier knows that the 27 other countries' standards are all the same and they will have access to all 27.
Dealing with the UK alone, these could be different regulations and standards and the UK are only giving access to one country , the UK.
The UK already meets these standards, and so trading standards with the EU remains the same. What the big corporates will be concerned about is how smaller companies will be able grow selling to other nations with lesser regulations.

Not irrelevant but much much smaller and less powerful that a 27 nation teamwith a population (customers) eight times the size.
Who we will still trade with, and who still want to trade with us.

The Italians voted in an anti-immigrant (foreigner) government. It's a fairly common disease afflicting the world at the moment. Unlike the UK the anti immigrant sentiment applies to non-EU citizens. Not really anti Europeans more anti non-Europeans

Problem with Brexit, it appealed to those who dislike both Europeans and non-Europeans
So voting in an anti EU government was the wrong decision by the Italian voters?
They're mostly all stupid, like how remainers think of Brexiters?

If we could do that, maybe the world would be a happier place

The other point is if all the nations were completely separate states and the EU did not exist, what would happen to these refugees/immigrants?
Would they just vanish?
What is the answer to the problem?
Each nation could simply ship the refugees back to their nation of origin, but is this the EU answer?

The details are to be clarified. The four freedoms are indivisible as repeated yet again numerous times today by the EU
Which is why we're leaving.

vidic blood & sand

Bullshit.
A small company cannot afford to meet EU regulations and compete with the big corporates.
The regulations are necessary or unnecessary?

You say bullshit because that's all you can think of to say.

This thread is for people who are just pissed off with Brexit but don't know why.

C3Pique

A small company cannot afford to meet EU regulations and compete with the big corporates.
The regulations are necessary or unnecessary?

You say bullshit because that's all you can think of to say.

This thread is for people who are just pissed off with Brexit but don't know why.
I work for a small company. The EU safety and environmental regulations we work to ensure an even playing field against companies 10 times our size who would otherwise cut corners in the name of increased volume. So much so that we actively lobby in Westminster and Brussels for even higher levels of regulation to ensure the very best outcome for the end user safety-wise. Without these regulations people would otherwise (and have in days of lesser regulation) die in the wrong circumstances.

The regulations are there to protect the consumer.

But carry on with your generalisation and patronisation.

JPRouve

Scout
And you can't uniltaterrally wave tariffs, it has to be within a free trade agreement. Otherwise you have to offer that beneficial perk to every other WTO member that doesn't have an FTA with you and also the ones that have an FTA if that perk is more advantageous.

Paul the Wolf

No. Eu regulations are for sales to EU countries also, and this is what we're interested in.
Not sure if we are at cross purposes here - EU regulations govern sales between EU countries and external countries selling into the EU.

What?
Things can be radically different how we trade with other countries. For one thing we can negotiate/remove tariffs buying Japanese cars.
Regulations and tariffs are two different things. Don't forget WTO rules though. The EU have an agreement with Japan negotiated with the UK on the EU team.
I know Farage has been missing in inaction for 20 years but the UK have been part of the EU during that time.
Speculation is how long will it take to renegotiate a deal with Japan and how interested the Japanese are if they have to pull out their businesses of the UK because of a no deal scenario. It's not just the EU who are not impressed by the UK.

Which will mostly not be as regulatory as the EU.
Do you know this? I can assure you that dealing with the EU is far simpler than sending goods to the USA or Australia for example. This has been a major part of my job for the past 30 years.

No. The EU dictates this.
Of which the Uk have been a part, when the UK leaves it will be the UK.
It sounds as if you are in favour of lower standards.

The UK already meets these standards, and so trading standards with the EU remains the same. What the big corporates will be concerned about is how smaller companies will be able grow selling to other nations with lesser regulations.
Again who said other countries have lesser regulations. The UK have the same standards as the EU now but legally won't do when they leave but you just contradicted yourself intimating that the UK would no longer have to adhere to these regulations.

Who we will still trade with, and who still want to trade with us.
But your discount has been reduced because you are no longer a big customer.

So voting in an anti EU government was the wrong decision by the Italian voters?
They're mostly all stupid, like how remainers think of Brexiters?
Anti-Immigrant

What is the answer to the problem?
Each nation could simply ship the refugees back to their nation of origin, but is this the EU answer?
Sounds very humanitarian

Which is why we're leaving.
Thus with no deal and thus we know most of the answers already. Degree is what we don't know.

Last edited: