Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Really? I think I read an article about opposition to the EU being on the rise in Finland.

Moment, I will try and find it.

On second thought that might have been Sweden though.

Anyways, here is an article showing the euroscepticism in Europe by numbers:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-opposition-to-the-eu-in-france-a7069766.html
We also have a significant part of the population who think that we should transfer more power to Strasbourg and Brussel and that the brexit is good for the EU. The main thing that you need to remember is that the old farts are against the EU but the youth is against them and favorable to the EU and to the federalism.

vidic blood & sand

Its not a question of whether I like it. As I said before, I voted in my self-interest. If you can stop someone who you know, unrestrained, would be damaging to you, wouldn't you want the power to stop them? That was the whole point in British foreign policy since we joined. At every stage the British government has worked to undermine EU decision making. That is why we pushed for enlargement, because we realised making it bigger would make it harder for them to agree on things. Then when they introduced qualified majority voting and co-decision, we did other things, got other exemptions to protect ourselves.

People may like to think Britain run by imbeciles, but successive British governments and Foreign Office mandarins have adopted the stance they have to protect the British people. Now we are no longer able to do that. It will take all our wit to try and work out how to protect ourselves, and continue to thrive.
That wit will demand a type of bargaining that is extremely aggressive, because we have the ability to pull the whole house down with us.

Couldn't this also work the other way around? That this is a warning shot for the EU to relax some of their supranational and most extreme stances? I know that the opposition in countries like Denmark and Finland (and probably several other countries) against the EU is even stronger than in Britain. And if one or two more countries leave, well then the EU isn't all that anymore, and a domino effect will surely follow.
Why are you so against the best and most open political system on Earth that has broken boundaries no other has achieved? Obviously it's not perfect and admits that itself, and will keep evolving to be better.

Have they screwed Norway up the arse somehow?

Seriously @SwansonsTache your non-stop posts stink of someone who is desperate for the EU to fail. Bizarrly making out like the EU is some big evil.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Am I right in assuming that both campaigns weren't really that informative?
There were plenty of warnings. The Bank of England did a report. So did the Treasury. People refused to believe them. The Leave campaign called it 'project fear' and many assumed it was all overblown rhetoric.

the hea

To be honest I think that was about the split in the UK until very recently, then they just kept hammering this immigration point and it snowballed.
According to many in here it was the uneducated that mainly supported the Leave side. Finland finished 6th in the 2015 PISA study way ahead of Great Britain in 23rd so hopefully we don't have as many uneducated leave voters. :)

According to many in here it was the uneducated that mainly supported the Leave side. Finland finished 6th in the 2015 PISA study way ahead of Great Britain in 23rd so hopefully we don't have as many uneducated leave voters. :)
There's a much much larger lower class in the UK in comparison to the Nordic nations.

Sadly.

That wit will demand a type of bargaining that is extremely aggressive, because we have the ability to pull the whole house down with us.
We will do that anyway by showing you can prosper once leaving the EU. For believers in the 'European Project' religion this is the endgame. It's the equivalent of being in a relationship with a madwoman. You might treat the breakup coolly, she might drive you both off a cliff so nobody else can have you if she can't.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
In all due respect, we're talking about changes on a biblical scale here.
Yep, it will get really messy for business if continuity of free trade is not maintained with the EU. Good weather for lawyers I guess. A lot of contractual termination clauses are going to be looked at over the next few weeks, just in case.

It would be madness if we leave the single market. But this whole thing has been madness, so all bets are off I reckon.

SirScholes

I think calling those that voted leave dumb racists is going to far and sad to see to be honest, a lot of people mostly on social media are going down that route.
I think they said free movement wouldn't cease in the immediate future, I feel I should say at this point I voted remain.
But having said that, I totally understand why many have voted leave, my parents work closely with those who are suffering from business taking advantage of cheap Labour from abroad, immigration might not be the biggest issue but for a lot of people it's directly effecting their lives right this second so to those voters you can't argue unless you've lived in their shoes.
Certainly a lot will change, but one thing is for sure Britain needs Europe and Europe needs Britain, I'm optimistic that negotiations will be struck to satisfy both parties, I wouldn't be surprised if other countries didn't follow suit and possibly a whole rethink is needed.
When more than 50% of the nation feels the EU isn't working for them it shows something is seriously seriously wrong, even if it was 48%-52% in favour of remain it would still show what a mess the whole situation is.
It's happened people need to move on and those in power need to earn their pennies

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Why are you so against the best and most open political system on Earth that has broken boundaries no other has achieved? Obviously it's not perfect and admits that itself, and will keep evolving to be better.

Have they screwed Norway up the arse somehow?

Seriously @SwansonsTache your non-stop posts stink of someone who is desperate for the EU to fail. Bizarrly making out like the EU is some big evil.
I admit that I would literally go on a three day binge if the EU failed. Any transfer of power from a sovereign nation and its population is for me unacceptable.

And no, they haven't screwed us at all, we are very happy with our agreement. But I and most Norwegians still vividly remember the scaremongering and near threats we got from the EU from how we would be excluded, our economy would suffer and we would be extremely worse off outside the EU, as opposed to in the EU.

And yes, a lot of us is probably coloured by that. In Norway it is widely accepted that EU is a failed political project and a farse. But then again, I accept that EU opposition in Norway can be considered extreme as opposed to other countries.

I will stop now.

Jonnymufc

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
First of all, thank you for a good post and it is extremely refreshing to have some of the minority of Leave voters who have voted for good reasons express their views on this here where as you say the left and the Remain side do dominate a little.

However, at best your vote on the basis you made it is a shot in the dark. You would like a better policy on immigration but you pretty much admit it is unlikely as you mention we will likely be in an EEA and subject to the same conditions we have now. You may be right about the economy or you could be spectacularly wrong, causing misery and lost livelihood to others (not you, you will be fine). We have already lost a capable leader and now we will probably get a more right wing government at least in the short term... but you still trot out the 'force for good' line. Really? Who are we trusting here? Sovereignty is not much cop if we start repealing progressive laws or push even further into a selfish society. Make no mistake, you have voted on the side of the bigoted and intolerant and only won because of them. I am sure you are not one, but do you know what you have kicked into life? How long will it take to settle this into the steady state you foresee and who loses in the mean time? Probably not you, probably not me if I am honest, but there could be a very tough time ahead for the poorer in this country.
Similar thanks for responding in an even-handed way.

I wouldn't call it a shot in the dark, there is undoubtedly some element of risk but then a huge, unprecedented constitutional change will fairly naturally carry this.

Yes I do want a better policy on immigration. It is ludicrous to have a system of unfettered access to a select group of nations, it inevitably leads to passing up some of the world's best talent. Leaving aside all the other stuff, do you not accept something akin to the Aussie system would be fairer overall and better for the UK?

I could well be wrong about the economy. This whole debate is predicated on unprecedented events but the evidence suggests to me that ultimately the economy has enough about it to prosper. Short term pain will almost certainly result as our financial system works on confidence and uncertainty destroys this. However, if you accept (as I do) that it will ultimately give greater scope to trade with the wider world then unfortunately this has to be accepted as a consequence. There was no way a Brexit vote would ever occur without that sort of shock, but Mark Carney (a remainer of course) has already indicated that the strength exists to cope with this. How long for it to settle? Well, if I knew for certain I'd probably be a very rich man but my guess is that negotiations on exit will be concluded ad rapidly as possible to lay the groundwork for stability.

To take your example on progressive laws, let's say the EU decided to start repealing such laws? What could you do? What could you do if they passed any legislation you felt was utterly wrong? It might not happen, but it might and therefore staying in has its own risks in this sense.

UK governments are powerful and can effect change quickly but can still be voted out. This debate might not apply for the next 20 years but I simply want the electorate - and the Parliament it elects - to decide what's best.

settembrini

I like this new argument that Britain should stay in the EU because the EU are crazy zealots who will only get worse without us.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I'm probably being a bit too optimistic here but this possible Scotland veto as well as the possible MP's veto is surely good news for us remainers, I sincerely hope that this gets stopped.

I admit that I would literally go on a three day binge if the EU failed. Any transfer of power from a sovereign nation and its population is for me unacceptable.

And no, they haven't screwed us at all, we are very happy with our agreement. But I and most Norwegians still vividly remember the scaremongering and near threats we got from the EU from how we would be excluded, our economy would suffer and we would be extremely worse off outside the EU, as opposed to in the EU.

And yes, a lot of us is probably coloured by that. In Norway it is widely accepted that EU is a failed political project and a farse. But then again, I accept that EU opposition in Norway can be considered extreme as opposed to other countries.

I will stop now.
All this feels a little "small time" to be fair, because you're not part of it then it must be a failed joke. You completely ignore all the good the EU has done and feel smug because Norway has shit loads of resources and doesn't quite need the EU like many other nations.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Similar thanks for responding in an even-handed way.

I wouldn't call it a shot in the dark, there is undoubtedly some element of risk but then a huge, unprecedented constitutional change will fairly naturally carry this.

Yes I do want a better policy on immigration. It is ludicrous to have a system of unfettered access to a select group of nations, it inevitably leads to passing up some of the world's best talent. Leaving aside all the other stuff, do you not accept something akin to the Aussie system would be fairer overall and better for the UK?

I could well be wrong about the economy. This whole debate is predicated on unprecedented events but the evidence suggests to me that ultimately the economy has enough about it to prosper. Short term pain will almost certainly result as our financial system works on confidence and uncertainty destroys this. However, if you accept (as I do) that it will ultimately give greater scope to trade with the wider world then unfortunately this has to be accepted as a consequence. There was no way a Brexit vote would ever occur without that sort of shock, but Mark Carney (a remainer of course) has already indicated that the strength exists to cope with this. How long for it to settle? Well, if I knew for certain I'd probably be a very rich man but my guess is that negotiations on exit will be concluded ad rapidly as possible to lay the groundwork for stability.

To take your example on progressive laws, let's say the EU decided to start repealing such laws? What could you do? What could you do if they passed any legislation you felt was utterly wrong? It might not happen, but it might and therefore staying in has its own risks in this sense.

UK governments are powerful and can effect change quickly but can still be voted out. This debate might not apply for the next 20 years but I simply want the electorate - and the Parliament it elects - to decide what's best.
Thanks again for the response.

My final point. For as long as the EU exists an Aussie style points system for immigration is a total fantasy for the UK. To benefit from this we now need it to fall apart.

SwansonsTache

All this feels a little "small time" to be fair, because you're not part of it then it must be a failed joke. You completely ignore all the good the EU has done and feel smug because Norway has shit loads of resources and doesn't quite need the EU like many other nations.
I am the Bluemoon of European politics.

vidic blood & sand

I believe it was those who were against immigration who mostly voted for leave.
And those who mostly voted for remain were those terrified of uncertainty.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yes I do want a better policy on immigration. It is ludicrous to have a system of unfettered access to a select group of nations, it inevitably leads to passing up some of the world's best talent.
What was stopping us offering residence/citizenship to anyone outside the EU we wanted to attract to Britain?

SwansonsTache

It's a bit off topic but what do you think about NATO and the fact that Norway is a member?
NATO is quality, our defence literally consists of three drunkies, a tank without belts and a defunct fishing boat. Add to the fact that we share a border with Russia and we are very happy to be part of it.

And by joining the EEA, you show them! :p
There no guarantee we'll get into the EEA. Article 50 is very clear. You are out after two years. Not in the EEA. Out.

From here on everything depends on triggering article 50.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Usch, elitest points system. What forward thinking.
Oh I think a points system is better and fairer than unfettered access when that access has been extended to such a large pool of countries. Elitist? It certainly does not need to be. The ideal system brings the most qualified people in where we need them the most, and also allows for a significant number of pure refugees.

The problem with is that it might work in Australia but it simply wouldn't in the UK for as long as the EU exists. Free trade = free movement. Not free trade = terrible for the economy and I cannot see any elected government pursuing it.

the hea

NATO is quality, our defence literally consists of three drunkies, a tank without belts and a defunct fishing boat. Add to the fact that we share a border with Russia and we are very happy to be part of it.
It doesn't transfer power from a sovereign nation and it's population?

Oh I think a points system is better and fairer than unfettered access when that access has been extended to such a large pool of countries. Elitist? It certainly does not need to be. The ideal system brings the most qualified people in where we need them the most, and also allows for a significant number of pure refugees.
We have that system now for outside of the EU. Are you not aware of that?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Points-based_immigration_system_(United_Kingdom)

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
You are basically a big hypocrite.:p

Any transfer of power from a sovereign nation and its population is for me unacceptable.