Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Seems like a no deal Brexit is starting to become a real possibility.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Fecking terrifying to me as a Brit living in France. Can't wait to qualify for citizenship here, but it'll be a tough year first.
I'm living in Canada and my girlfriend's Canadian so once we've lived together for a year she can sponsor me for permanent residency via common law.

I have no desire to go back and live in the UK. Maybe in 5-10 years when everything's settled down but not in the immediate future.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He might not have been ignorant; rather, he was knowingly lying.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
:lol: imagine your chief negotiator not having a clue that it's illegal to broker individual deals with EU member states.
That’s depressing. It’s truly the blind leading the blind
What’s really fcuked up is this prick tweeted all that stuff before the referendum. More evidence of blatant lies fed to the electorate from the government, that might have influenced a referendum with consequences felt for generations. How can they not be held accountable? Why can’t the result be disputed?

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
What’s really fcuked up is this prick tweeted all that stuff before the referendum. More evidence of blatant lies fed to the electorate from the government, that might have influenced a referendum with consequences felt for generations. How can they not be held accountable? Why can’t the result be disputed?
The nation voted and made a decision bla bla bla, you've heard it a thousand times now. This is what May says every time she's asked about another referendum or stopping Brexit.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He might not have been ignorant; rather, he was knowingly lying.
Probably. The fact he fecked off once things started to become clear was quite telling. And he was caught out for knowingly lying as well when he basically made up reports that never existed.

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Why should it ? Because people lied, I mean welcome to politics.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Demonstrable blatant lies from the government which are so integral to the referendum outcome would be treading new ground, surely?
Possibly if we didn't live in a country where Tony Blair gets to walk around freely. It's completely subjective, whats the difference between the big red bus and say Cameron comments during the referendum about ''rows of white headstones in lovingly-tended Commonwealth war cemeteries'' or that maybe Cameron comment were even worse ?

There are far too many examples of politicians telling equally if not worse lies and nothing being done about it that to suddenly write off this result would extremely risky move that could do immense harm to UK democracy.

Last edited:

SqueakyWeasel

And the rest. What’s the overall population of Britain?
Just over 65m

You were completely right before btw that blatant lying (or more likely fecking know-nothing incompetence) by elected politicians in the run up to the advisory opinion poll (which is all it was) should make the vote null and void … or at the very least trigger a new one.

Now that people know what's true and what's at stake I think there would definitely be a bigger turn out and almost certainly a different result.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just over 65m

You were completely right before btw that blatant lying (or more likely fecking know-nothing incompetence) by elected politicians in the run up to the advisory opinion poll (which is all it was) should make the vote null and void … or at the very least trigger a new one.

Now that people know what's true and what's at stake I think there would definitely be a bigger turn out and almost certainly a different result.
So about 30m couldn’t or didn’t vote?

SqueakyWeasel

So about 30m couldn’t or didn’t vote?
Didn't :wenger:

The run-in to the opinion poll was like a Trump Rally with all the loony element shouting and screaming and everyone else keeping quiet thinking … let them have their little vote and then we can get back to normal just like they did two years ago in Scotland.

It backfired!

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Having already got my French nationality which cost me a grand total of €55 I today received my ID card which cost nothing, is valid for 15 years and means I can travel throughout the EU with no problem.
My UK passport is still valid for over 7 years but I am sorely tempted to burn it, perhaps I'll wait until 29th March.

SqueakyWeasel

Having already got my French nationality which cost me a grand total of €55 I today received my ID card which cost nothing, is valid for 15 years and means I can travel throughout the EU with no problem.
My UK passport is still valid for over 7 years but I am sorely tempted to burn it, perhaps I'll wait until 29th March.
Have you retaken your drivers license?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Why … unless you took your first one there?
No, I moved to France in 2007, I never intended to move back to the UK and my UK licence would have expired soon afterwards so just swapped my UK licence for a french one, didn't need to take a new test.
At the same time I also integrated into the French health system and have paid my taxes etc in France since then too.
The only thing that was missing was the nationality which I didn't bother about because I didn't need to, until Brexit.

SqueakyWeasel

No, I moved to France in 2007, I never intended to move back to the UK and my UK licence would have expired soon afterwards so just swapped my UK licence for a french one, didn't need to take a new test.
At the same time I also integrated into the French health system and have paid my taxes etc in France since then too.
The only thing that was missing was the nationality which I didn't bother about because I didn't need to, until Brexit.
Been in Germany for well over 12 years and am not sure how anything will work … ever again!

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
I wonder what the numbers are like for people moving/planning to move away from the UK following the referendum result in 2016.

I work in foreign exchange and have seen a decent number of Brits looking to sell up and move to Europe or somewhere like Canada/Australia/New Zealand.

I'm going to be so busy at work if a no deal happens. The pound will sink and everyone will be buying.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I wonder what the numbers are like for people moving/planning to move away from the UK following the referendum result in 2016.

I work in foreign exchange and have seen a decent number of Brits looking to sell up and move to Europe or somewhere like Canada/Australia/New Zealand.

I'm going to be so busy at work if a no deal happens. The pound will sink and everyone will be buying.
That is a bold move considering nobody know what rights - if any - Brits will get if they move to Europe post-Brexit. I'd expect many ex-pats to have to move home within the next few years. I'm hoping that is the case so I can buy up one of their nice Spanish apartments on the cheap.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
That is a bold move considering nobody know what rights - if any - Brits will get if they move to Europe post-Brexit. I'd expect many ex-pats to have to move home within the next few years. I'm hoping that is the case so I can buy up one of their nice Spanish apartment's on the cheap.
Many of the retirees will probably have to move, I think those in employment who can't be easily replaced should be ok but will have to follow the countries' procedures to get a work permit.

Are you a UK citizen or Irish? your location says you're in NI, probably won't be easy to buy property in Spain once no deal happens

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Many of the retirees will probably have to move, I think those in employment who can't be easily replaced should be ok but will have to follow the countries' procedures to get a work permit.

Are you a UK citizen or Irish? your location says you're in NI, probably won't be easy to buy property in Spain once no deal happens
I'll soon be both. I'd be banking on my Irish passport to get me access to that market.

SqueakyWeasel

Brits should have bought property over 10 years ago when it was 1.4:1 … we are basically 1:1 now and BREXIT hasn't even happened yet!

The problem when discussing the leavers (the people who are leaving the UK rather than the people who voted for BREXIT) is not about counting their numbers but accessing the loss of their value to Britain. It seems (without saying all BREXIT voters are stupid and racist) that the people leaving are the most intelligent.

A good example …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/14/top-linguist-quits-uk-over-brexit-bad-atmosphere

This will not end well!

MoskvaRed

Possibly if we didn't live in a country where Tony Blair gets to walk around freely. It's completely subjective, whats the difference between the big red bus and say Cameron comments during the referendum about ''rows of white headstones in lovingly-tended Commonwealth war cemeteries'' or that maybe Cameron comment were even worse ?

There are far too many examples of politicians telling equally if not worse lies and nothing being done about it that to suddenly write off this result would extremely risky move that could do immense harm to UK democracy.
Being cynical, Blair only told lies which resulted in misery for, to misquote Chamberlain, a far away country of which we know little. And the Iraq tragedy, although based on Western arrogance, was IMO not as sure a thing ab initio as the disaster facing the UK. Grossly negligent and morally reprehensible, for sure, but not as unforgivable as setting a predictable course to feck up your own country.

But, not wanting to turn this into a Blair/Iraq discussion, the underlying problem in the post-Brexit world is that we have a first past the post, two party system in a diverse country which no longer has mass membership of political parties. As a result, the more rational among the leadership and MPs of the Conservatives are limited in their response to Brexit by the 100,000 OAPs who constitute their membership and the bigoted, half-wit backbenchers selected by that membership.

C3Pique

I actually qualify for an Italian passport but it's a ballache to do the paperwork - I need my grandmothers' birth certificate and a million other things. I'll be applying for it if I need a visa to travel in Europe though.