Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vidic blood & sand

They are playing up those 117 votes but it still feels like a massive win for her, all things considered.

fecking amazing how many politicians are still calling for more votes on everything except the one thing that matters.

I'd hardly call it a massive win.
She's surrendered her leadership for the next election because she's accepted the fact that her party doesn't believe they can win with her as leader.
How many people changed their vote because of that?
A third of her party doesn't believe in her.
Her deal, that she has put all her faith in, has no chance of getting through the commons.

She is in a desperately bad situation.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Tory fan tv is going to be lit tonight though
Rees- Moog: "Fam, Fam, Family listen, my emotions tonight are a smorgasbord of anger and disappointment fam-ily. She needs to resign blood. My wife thinks Theresa is the best person for the job! IS SHE MAD BLOOD? She needs to resign now fam-ily. Go to the queen and resign blood.

Peter Bone: "I'm tired Robbie, it's not acceptable anymore, it's time to go, it's time to fecking go"
:lol:

Oldyella

A GE might even give Tories a bigger majority and the leader may well be a Hard Brexiter.
Labour don't seem any more keen on a referendum than the Tories nor revoking A50.

You could have all that and be back in the same place as the UK is now in a few months time.
Feels like UK politics is in such a weird place that whoever instigates a ge might end up a big loser due to protest votes. No one has a clue what to do anymore

saivet

Was sat on a train home (I do live in Tory lands) and when 9 hit, I heard "ahh, great news she won" then about 4 other random people chirped up discussing it in elation. Couple of older ladies tarted saying how if there was a vote they'd get rid of Scotland out of the UK and that who cares about NI.

MadMike

I'd hardly call it a massive win.
She's surrendered her leadership for the next election because she's accepted the fact that her party doesn't believe they can win with her as leader.
How many people changed their vote because of that?
A third of her party doesn't believe in her.
Her deal, that she has put all her faith in, has no chance of getting through the commons.

She is in a desperately bad situation.
I don't know why you think that her saying she might not run, has swung many votes. What happens in 4 years time is of little consequence now, I would have thought.

It's not her that's in a bad situation. It's the whole Tory party. There's no one that can come in and remedy this. The party doesn't have a parliamentary majority. On top of that its own MPS are (like the rest of the country) bitterly divided on the issue of Brexit, while the opposition is unified in wanting to reject any deal offered in order to force general elections. She's not in any worse shape than her replacement would be from day 1.

Abizzz

It’s condescending attitudes like this that were a massive factor in leave winning the referendum.
Oh zip it. Brexiteers and leavers lied 200 times a day every day of the year before and since the referendum, often in combination with insulting the EU and the countries that make it up.

Also if condescending attitudes lead you to vote for stupid things those attitudes are exactly what you deserve.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Would I be considered a fruitloop to say I hate Mrs May's clothing style? Her short jackets make her look horrendous.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Talk about going to the EU to get a legally binding limit to the backstop... then it's not a backstop, is it?

vidic blood & sand

I don't know why you think that her saying she might not run, has swung many votes. What happens in 4 years time is of little consequence now, I would have thought.

It's not her that's in a bad situation. It's the whole Tory party. There's no one that can come in and remedy this. The party doesn't have a parliamentary majority. On top of that its own MPS are (like the rest of the country) bitterly divided on the issue of Brexit, while the opposition is unified in wanting to reject any deal offered in order to force general elections. She's not in any worse shape than her replacement would be from day 1.

It's the principle that she needs to try and win confidence votes by seeking to assure her MPs that she won't lead the party in the next election. She's admitting the fact that she understands there is little confidence in her to lead the party to victory.

You don't find this significant?

Apparently she wanted to lead the party into the next election, but her advisers must have explained to her that, to be voted down now by her own party, would be a total humiliation to her personally. To avoid this, she was advised to concede her leadership at a later date.

Don't Kill Bill

For the GFA to continue there has to be regulatory alignment both sides of the border, that basically means a customs union.

But the problem isn't just the technical terms of the agreement, a hard border going up would symbolically be a step backward.

This does a decent job of explaining it: http://ukandeu.ac.uk/good-friday-agreement-why-it-matters-in-brexit/
Ok, but why is it Ok for the EU to put that border in the Irish Sea against the wishes of the Unionist but some how its an affront to all that's holy for the UK to be forced to put it on the former border against republican wishes as the GFA gives equal weight to both?

foolsgold

Nope. You bought a Brexit turkey, still full of guts, but inedible. In gross terms yes, the UK has made a significant contribution to the EU budget.
No, but yes.

Simple fact, the UK has contributed more to the EU than has been spent in development funds over the past 30 years. The money has gone in developing Ireland, and eastern and southern Europe. I'm not arguing that this was a bad use of money. However there isn't a case to be made that the UK has benefited from infrastructural funding from EU projects

Eire Red United

Oh zip it. Brexiteers and leavers lied 200 times a day every day of the year before and since the referendum, often in combination with insulting the EU and the countries that make it up.

Also if condescending attitudes lead you to vote for stupid things those attitudes are exactly what you deserve.
Catch yourself on. I don’t support Brexit so stop with the whataboutery regarding Brexiteers as I couldn’t care less what they said and people like Farage don’t represent me.

I was simply making the point that people like yourself dismissing others genuine concerns about the EU as nothing more than neanderthals grunting about “bleedin foreigners” and “take back control” are part of what allowed leave to win. People voted in protest (ok misguidedly) but because they are sick of the status quo.

Don't Kill Bill

The spirit of the GFA is that Ireland, as a whole, and separately, is entitled to self-determination. A large number of the population hold Irish/EU passports, and see themselves as Irish. Many unionists in the north want no hard border either, see the statements of the business community etc...

Seems like some Brexit people are only noticing now (that it has become a stone in their shoe) the Irish Peace Process and the various agreements brokered over the past half century. Peter Brooke: Britain has no "selfish strategic or economic interest" in Northern Ireland. Downing Street Declaration in 1993: "The British Government agree that it is for the people of the island of Ireland alone, by agreement between the two parts respectively, to exercise their right of self-determination on the basis of consent, freely and concurrently given, North and South, to bring about a united Ireland, if that is their wish".
But the North doesn't agree to a border in the Irish Sea, and the agreement can't prevent the UK leaving if its people decide they want to leave the EU, CU and SM.

Unless you think the GFA means the UK can't ever leave them. Is that your point?

The whole thing seems to me a bit invented after the event which no one saw coming.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Catch yourself on. I don’t support Brexit so stop with the whataboutery regarding Brexiteers as I couldn’t care less what they said and people like Farage don’t represent me.

I was simply making the point that people like yourself dismissing others genuine concerns about the EU as nothing more than neanderthals grunting about “bleedin foreigners” and “take back control” are part of what allowed leave to win. People voted in protest (ok misguidedly) but because they are sick of the status quo.
His point, which is completely true is that if people voted in protest, then it justifies the names they were called. It's the very essence of idiocy, or cutting your nose off to spite your face. What a normal person should have done, is separate the two, vote not in protest but for actual reasons they would stand behind, and deal with the name calling as a separate issue. Abandoning all logic and sense and chalking it up to a protest vote and then saying it's someone elses fault they did something is just stupidity and it doesn't excuse anyones actions.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I have a feeling this is a plot from the hardest of Brexiteers in the Tory party.

They’re forcing a vote of no confidence and will then vote in favour of May.

May will then be granted immunity for the next 12 months. This means that it will be her deal or no deal and they know that no deal is likely to win over her deal.

So they’re effectively forcing a no deal Brexit.
Hiya

Abizzz

No. People voting leave is what allowed leave to win. Those who voted leave to stick it to people like me are beyond help anyway, there's no point in being super careful not to hurt their feelings, they don't give a flying feck about mine.

If people are fed up with status quo how about changing the status instead of creating an imaginary foe to blame all your woe's on? Now that I could respect...

vidic blood & sand

This forum is full of leftists, so that's what you're gonna get.
I've found over the years that there are many older people who voted for brexit who have had enough of immigrants driving down wages, but on the other side there are a large amount of young people who voted remain simply because they're institutionalised, and don't actually know anything about the EU. Then there's the sincere voters on both sides. Most people on this forum are institutionalised young remainers, but not all.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Was sat on a train home (I do live in Tory lands) and when 9 hit, I heard "ahh, great news she won" then about 4 other random people chirped up discussing it in elation. Couple of older ladies tarted saying how if there was a vote they'd get rid of Scotland out of the UK and that who cares about NI.
Racist about t
I've found over the years that there are many older people who voted for brexit who have had enough of immigrants driving down wages, but on the other side there are a large amount of young people who voted remain simply because they're institutionalised, and don't actually know anything about the EU. Then there's the sincere voters on both sides. Most people on this forum are institutionalised young remainers, but not all.
The folk who think their wages have been driven down by immigrants are every bit as institutionalised as the young people you are on about.

Silva

young people who don't vote for the ruling party and have voted an antiestablishment figure to the leadership of the labour party are institutionalised sheep

ukip isn't sending us their best

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Right, so what about all those areas voting Leave where there were barely any immigrants at all?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I heard all that last week when I was up at mum's in East Yorkshire (Haltemprice & Howden, wanker David Davis MP). Project fear, immigrants and controlling our own borders and laws were heavily repeated. It was tiresome and you can't fight ideology with logic when it comes to people in their 70s.

MadMike

It's the principle that she needs to try and win confidence votes by seeking to assure her MPs that she won't lead the party in the next election. She's admitting the fact that she understands there is little confidence in her to lead the party to victory.

You don't find this significant?

Apparently she wanted to lead the party into the next election, but her advisers must have explained to her that, to be voted down now by her own party, would be a total humiliation to her personally. To avoid this, she was advised to concede her leadership at a later date.
No quite frankly, I don't. Firstly she can renege on it and secondly I don't think it would matter one jot to these Tory MPs. If Brexit is botched, they will get obliterated in the next elections whoever the leader is.

So if verbal statements matter very little to both the person uttering them and the people who are the intended audience, why would I find it significant?

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
No, most people on this forum are younger people that are statistically more highly educated than the older folk. They seem to hate that, but it doesn't make it any less true. Brushing the younger generation off as 'institutionalised' is a bit of a weird sweeping brush to make, and almost smacks of bitterness.

Zlatattack

What a horrible place to live.

MadMike

young people who don't vote for the ruling party and have voted an antiestablishment figure to the leadership of the labour party are institutionalised sheep

ukip isn't sending us their best
Tbf blindly following any ideology, is sheep-like behaviour. Even one that is anti-establishment. On top of that student bases at most (probably all) Unis in this country are very left leaning, since we're talking about young people. So being anti-ruling party means little, in the context of being institutionalised, when it's placing you in the comfort of voting in line with the majority of your peers.

Zlatattack

Right, so what about all those areas voting Leave where there were barely any immigrants at all?
It's no difference to the BNP and NF complaining about the blacks and Asians stealing jobs. Just racism to hide thier own failings.

Most people who think like that, feel thier entitled to well paid work despite being under skilled, under educated, inexperienced and generally lazy.

If semi literate immigrants are making more money than you, it's your own fault. These people are capitalists when it suits them and then as soon as there is competition they want the state to end immigration to protect them.