Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abizzz

Listen to them.
I have. And they lied. They lie all the time and at every chance. They lie when they talk about Ireland, they lie when they talk about France. They lie when they talk about the EU and they lie when they talk about borders.

They want to take back control of their borders, but they claim never to be the one to put up a border in Ireland. They want to end free movement, electronically!

I wish I hadn't listened. I could have made so much more of my time.

vidic blood & sand

No. I think we can survive fine if the right provisions are in place. Quite evidently though a hard Brexit would be somewhat disastrous because we'd be starting from scratch in negotiating trading arrangements and would be crashing out without the right infrastructure to replace what we're going to be giving up and losing by leaving. That's nothing to do with being weak and pitiable - that's just what happens if you leave an organisation and don't prepare at all for life afterwards.
There may come a time when the EU will cross the line with the most hardened remainers. It's interesting how far people would be willing to go before enough would be enough.
Globalists like Major and Blair make me nervous. Cameron and May are remainers, but nothing like those nutters. At least Cameron recognised the need for EU reform.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Even if you think the EU are spinning the debate from their own point of view, just ignore both the UK and the EU. Who else agrees with the Brexiteer's vision of how the border and the economy will work post-Brexit? Because it sure as hell isn't the international experts either.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Even if you think the EU are spinning the debate from their own point of view, just ignore both the UK and the EU. Who else agrees with the Brexiteer's vision of how the border and the economy will work post-Brexit? Because it sure as hell isn't the international experts either.
What vision? They all have their own non-sensical “ideas” that would be unrealistic if written in a GCSE economics exam

MoskvaRed

There may come a time when the EU will cross the line with the most hardened remainers. It's interesting how far people would be willing to go before enough would be enough.
Globalists like Major and Blair make me nervous. Cameron and May are remainers, but nothing like those nutters. At least Cameron recognised the need for EU reform.
Why do you feel so threatened by the EU? In the modern globalised world, all interactions involve give and take, particularly if you are an island of 70m in a world of behemoths like the US, China and India. Surely it’s better to be together with a neighbouring bloc of 500m, most of whom have broadly similar values to your own and in which you have a very powerful voice.

mikey_d

How long did the FTA with Japan take?

If it's a few weeks then surely the contents of the backstop don't matter right?
March 2013 negotiations started with japan for a FTA so about 6 years, but trade negotiations leading to the FTA started in 2002.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
This is a wholly inaccurate picture of the relationship between England and Scotland which, despite what Trainspotting fans tell us, was never a colony and was a willing and fully engaged partner in empire in order to further it's own colonial desires. The idea that Scotland was a colony is a nationalist myth perpetuated for obvious reasons and in fact contributed more, per capita, to the expansion of empire than the English did. The Scots were at the very heart of it.
Just because James wanted it all doesn't mean Scotland isn't an English colony ruled from London even if limited autonomy has now been given to back, like shiny beads as gifts to the natives. Wales was annexed again by England in the 15th century and we all know our disgraceful history in Ireland. United union my arse.

The irony is that we live in such a union yet many object to being in the EU entirely voluntarily.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Which isn't that unusual but it's the fact they then mock others for predictions backed up by the treasury, businesses, economists and do so arrogantly. Most discussion in here is backed up in some fashion or other.

No doubt this I'll be that unwelcoming leftists being mean to the right leaning nonsense :nervous:
How dare you bring evidence and facts in to this.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Most reasonably-minded Scots (even those supportive of independence) accept this and accept we were heavily involved in slavery etc. It's only really a small minority who try to pretend that it wasn't the case.
Yet your Monarch is English and you are ruled from London. However, Scotland got there it is an English colony.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Were you around when everyone was talking about the supposed benefits of joining the single currency?
I was around. So what? And you know who else was around? The experts and decision-makers in the article who were far from enthusiastic about joining the Euro. Very different to how you described it.

Fairly transparent attempt at a dodge there.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Blair and Major are knobs. The EU is imperfect. Obviously. Any organisation of that size is. Nevertheless there is no viable plan which presents leaving as being better than remaining - only some which mitigate the worst of the damage.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yet your Monarch is English and you are ruled from London. However, Scotland got there it is an English colony.
We're ruled from London but have a say in who rules us to an extent that's roughly proportionate to our population. We had a Scottish PM a decade or so ago and have had some in the past. I'd say a colony is generally subjected to foreign rule; our rulers in the 1700s actively chose to join up with England because they thought they could get a lot out of it. I'm no unionist (the opposite actually) but we benefited massively from the union at the time.

Listar

And what is wrong with Labour trying to topple the government.
Isn't that what opposition parties are supposed to do.
Or does that only apply when the Tory party is the opposition....
That is one of the many flaws of democracy. The original intention of it has been slowly twisted after so many decades.

The elected few (whether in government or opposition) are to work for the nation and provide a voice for the electorate. They are not there to promote their own agendas.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
We're ruled from London but have a say in who rules us to an extent that's roughly proportionate to our population. We had a Scottish PM a decade or so ago and have had some in the past. I'd say a colony is generally subjected to foreign rule; our rulers in the 1700s actively chose to join up with England because they thought they could get a lot out of it. I'm no unionist (the opposite actually) but we benefited massively from the union at the time.
There are current benefits to being in a Union, just like there are benefits to Britain being in the EU. I was really just commenting that the idea that a border of sorts in the North Sea not working because we are the or a United Kingdom doesn't really mean much.

Green_Red

Surely the banks and financial institutions will be limiting their exposure to a degree though? Cause they kinda know it’s coming. Which is funny because they kinda also knew in advance in 2008.
The CBE recently published an economic forecast for all Brexit scenarios. It was all over the news about 2 weeks ago. You should look it up.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Just because James wanted it all doesn't mean Scotland isn't an English colony ruled from London even if limited autonomy has now been given to back, like shiny beads as gifts to the natives. Wales was annexed again by England in the 15th century and we all know our disgraceful history in Ireland. United union my arse.

The irony is that we live in such a union yet many object to being in the EU entirely voluntarily.
Yes emotive stuff but the fact remains Scotland was never a colony, entered willing into the partnership that was the union, and was not subjugated in the brutal manner that Ireland was. To equate the two is historical bunkum and has only gained recent credence due to a crap film

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Yes emotive stuff but the fact remains Scotland was never a colony, entered willing into the partnership that was the union, and was not subjugated in the brutal manner that Ireland was. To equate the two is historical bunkum and has only gained recent credence due to a crap film
Scotland is currently a colony however it was achieved. James wanted to own everything and by the time of the political union Scotland already has an English Monarch so was in a personal union already. Hardly a free joining of equals.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch

Comedy gold.
Dear lord. They actually don't understand the whole process, do they? Or maybe they do and they think the public are really thick? Which says a lot, too. Maybe they need a "Trade for Dummies" course or something.

I mean, this guy is a Secretary of State for one of the world's most powerful countries with a population of 65m, just .. how?

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
Scotland is currently a colony however it was achieved. James wanted to own everything and by the time of the political union Scotland already has an English Monarch so was in a personal union already. Hardly a free joining of equals.
Was Scotland settled by the English? Scotland and England are a Union not a Colony. By any terms that Colony is understood, I don't see quite how Scotland is one.

Before people start on me as some sort of English twat I have no English in me. My mother was Scottish and my father was Austrian.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Was Scotland settled by the English? Scotland and England are a Union not a Colony. By any terms that Colony is understood, I don't see quite how Scotland is one.

Before people start on me as some sort of English twat I have no English in me. My mother was Scottish and my father was Austrian.
And you Uncle smelt of elderberries? ;)

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
We rule/own them.
Scotland is a country with its own traditions and ways of doing things yet it has representation in Westminster and also its own Parliament, in no terms is it ruled any differently to how England is ruled, or Wales. Scotland has the right to self-determination and as for colony I am willing to bet that a damn sight more Scots have settled in England than English have ever settled in Scotland. If the Scots don't like and haven't enjoyed austerity for the last 8 years then it is no more liked by the English. Freedom!

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
What is happening is now a national humiliation. The long spoken about influence the UK once had in Europe and around the world is now over and we are quickly being relegated down the list of respected and powerful countries.

What's worse is that we have done this to ourselves. The rhetoric may continue but in reality the UK is now a second rate western country and most influence we had is withering away rapidly.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Dear lord. They actually don't understand the whole process, do they? Or maybe they do and they think the public are really thick? Which says a lot, too. Maybe they need a "Trade for Dummies" course or something.

I mean, this guy is a Secretary of State for one of the world's most powerful countries with a population of 65m, just .. how?
It’s all so surreal. Like the whole thing is a parody and none of us are in on the joke.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
What is happening is now a national humiliation. The long spoken about influence the UK once had in Europe and around the world is now over and we are quickly being relegated down the list of respected and powerful countries.

What's worse is that we have done this to ourselves. The rhetoric may continue but in reality the UK is now a second rate western country and most influence we had is withering away rapidly.

vidic blood & sand

Anyone think May will resign today or by next week?

I just can't see how she can keep going, as there's nowhere for her to go.

Smores

That is one of the many flaws of democracy. The original intention of it has been slowly twisted after so many decades.

The elected few (whether in government or opposition) are to work for the nation and provide a voice for the electorate. They are not there to promote their own agendas.
This makes little sense I'm afraid, they are working for their electorate by pushing the agenda on which they were elected to office. The fact this differs from the government reflects the elecorates split views/interests.