Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smores

Don't agree at all.
Firstly you say that 39bn is not a massive sum of money. Really. Ask the schools or NHS or Police or the electorate whether they agree. I think I know the answer.

Secondly. Why not threaten it. Remember. I did not say we should not pay it. I simple said that faced with an unacceptable withdrawal bill we should decide on the terms of the payment.
Yeah let's not pay our debts before we go out to the world for trade agreements including to the one we've refused to pay. What could go wrong.

Defaulting on our debts won't send the best message to the world markets at all. I'd be interested to see if it had any impact on gilts for instance

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The pound's collapse against all major currencies since the Brexit vote has cost the country and its people way WAY more than the £39bn. I don't need to ask schools, police or the NHS anything about that either. I find it quite humorous when Brexiteers (don't mean you specifically) bring up the issue of EU payments in one sentence making a big deal of it. While in the next sentence they non-nonchalantly mention they'd be OK with the country taking a financial hit from loss of trade in the short/medium term, if it results in UK regaining full sovereignty. I mean do you care about money, or do you not?

A threat that you're not willing to follow through with, is an empty threat. And when following through could likely lead to a breakdown of bilateral trade relations and loss of trade for both, but primarily the UK, it's akin to cutting of your nose to spite your face.
Not so mad Mike as you make a good argument. By the way I voted to remain pretty much for the reasons you make.

I have no affinity for the EU. My primary reason for voting to remain was an economic one. I simply could not envisage a way that we would be better off by leaving. Certainly not in the short term anyway.

Moreover, the UK economy was still struggling to come out of recession following the global financial crisis and IMHO the referendum could not have come at a worse time.

I lay the blame for that firmly with David Cameron who took this country into the referendum for the wrong reasons.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah let's not pay our debts before we go out to the world for trade agreements including to the one we've refused to pay. What could go wrong.

Defaulting on our debts won't send the best message to the world markets at all. I'd be interested to see if it had any impact on gilts for instance
Who said we should default on our debts.
I was making the case for using the settlement as part of the negotiation and if pushed we should extend the payment timescales. That was all.

Do you think that Italy or Spain for example would be so cooperative?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I was making the case for using the settlement as part of the negotiation and if pushed we should extend the payment timescales. That was all.

I'm pretty sure Spain is a net recipient from the EU so I guess the negotiations would be totally different?

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
was it Ian Hislop who said this?
In fairness he's a very decent writer (I enjoyed reading The Churchill Factor, even if it is obvious he's a fanboy) and in some ways think he is probably an intelligent man, but in terms of helping govern a country?

No ... just no.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool

A bit like starving the Irish..........

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
London is the world's busiest air-hub and if all the Brit's are having to fill out visa's (and vice versa?) go to to EU countries, god knows the absolute chaos it's going to cause at the start.

Anyway, enjoy being in the customs line lads, I'll be off through the EU citizens gates, see you in about 2 hours.

vidic blood & sand

The brexiteers are convinced that we are purposefully not preparing for a no deal so that we can't crash out. They believe that the later we leave the vote the more likely it becomes May's deal or revoke article 50.
Brexiters believe that the government do not have the leaders with the experience needed to negotiate the kind of deal May was seeking in her mansion house speech.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The British parliament is made up of about 80% remainers.
Don't know about 80% but there are certainly more remain MPs than leavers but the opposition and government are both supposedly pro-Brexit so the inevitable outcome is No Deal unless there's a free vote.

Edit: If you are right, as parliament is sovereign then surely parliament should cancel Brexit.

Last edited:

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Brexiters believe that the government do not have the leaders with the experience needed to negotiate the kind of deal May was seeking in her mansion house speech.
There was an election last year - maybe those Brexiteers shouldn't have voted for a party with a Remainer at its helm. After all...those very same Brexiteers wanted Brexit to make us more sovereign...i.e. giving more powers to parliament.:smirk:

vidic blood & sand

Don't know about 80% but there are certainly more remain MPs than leavers but the opposition and government are both supposedly pro-Brexit so the inevitable outcome is No Deal unless there's a free vote.

Edit: If you are right, as parliament is sovereign then surely parliament should cancel Brexit.

Parliament has the authority to cancel brexit, but the Conservatives fear that the backlash would end their party for good.

Let's be honest here, politics is moving in a new direction that is more similar to the States. Left Vs right. At the moment we have three leftist parties struggling to deliver a right vote. Pun intended.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Parliament has the authority to cancel brexit, but the Conservatives fear that the backlash would end their party for good.

Let's be honest here, politics is moving in a new direction that is more similar to the States. Left Vs right. At the moment we have three leftist parties struggling to deliver a right vote. Pun intended.
Eh?

Abizzz

From now on the EU should only negotiate with the UK on the basis of the UK negotiators having the authority to negotiate for the UK. If they don't the EU negotiators should go look for more productive things to do.

Fecking farce.

Paul the Wolf

I wouldn't call the Tories left, they're moving more towards the right than in recent history.

vidic blood & sand

I wouldn't call the Tories left, they're moving more towards the right than in recent history.
The tory brexiters are what I would consider to be right, but as they're now being called extremists (117 OF THEM!), it shows that there is a political revolution incoming. The DUP is also very much a right wing party.
I think we're witnessing the beginning of a new era in British politics.

Paul the Wolf

The tory brexiters are what I would consider to be right, but as they're now being called extremists (117 OF THEM!), it shows that there is a political revolution incoming. The DUP is also very much a right wing party.
I think we're witnessing the beginning of a new era in British politics.
I won't disagree that British politics is changing - hopefully not towards extremists at either end of the scale.