Brexited | the worst threads live the longest

Do you think there will be a Deal or No Deal?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rpitchfo

I consider myself to be quite politically savvy but I’m completely lost. What the hell is fecking happening!!!!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I consider myself to be quite politically savvy but I’m completely lost. What the hell is fecking happening!!!!
Ditto. Is this just weak ass posturing from Corbyn or is this significant? Didn’t realise you had the vote of confidence in individual/government option, the latter seemingly being more symbolic rather than meaningful.

rpitchfo

Stuff, my man. Stuff is happening.
So...

Corbyns tactic is...?

Call no confidence is Theresa May...hope it gets rejected.

Call no confidence in government...lose

So no chance of a general election to break parliamentary deadlock

WA gets voted down....

Labour table second referendum which conservative remainers will back

Extend a50 for a vote.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Anyone else concerned that if it went to a 2nd referendum between no deal and remain, no deal would win?

I feel like people in the UK are genuinely that stupid.
I think remain is more likely to gain votes from those who were on the fence last time and didn’t really get the significance of the vote. The we want control daily mail feckers will not change their vote at all... whether they can add to their voter base is questionable as they’re getting older and dying off with each passing year.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just saw Rees-Mogg on the beeb saying he was a loyal conservative :lol:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
So...

Corbyns tactic is...?

Call no confidence is Theresa May...hope it gets rejected.

Call no confidence in government...lose

So no chance of a general election to break parliamentary deadlock

WA gets voted down....

Labour table second referendum which conservative remainers will back

Extend a50 for a vote.
Corbyn's plan is thus;

No backbenchers are going to vote against the government as a whole. By making the no-confidence vote only about Theresa May, there was more chance that the Brexiteers would vote against her.

After losing a no-confidence vote, Theresa May "would probably"* have to step down anyway.

If she stepped down, The Conservatives would have to pick a new leader.

Alternatively, she might stay on but have to listen to Labour more.

*Definitely not clear.

Smores

I don't think they expected anything out of the censure motion as any Tories voting for it would lose the whip. Purely a mechanism to keep up the headlines so it doesn't go quiet.

I don't agree with the above posts, delaying it a month is not an acceptable date for the vote.

Simbo

so these feckers get to have yet another vote??? I'm getting jealous.

GloryHunter07

I think there’s a chance she will lose the vote.

With all of Labour, Lib Dems and SNP voting no confidence, they only need 9 conservatives to vote no confidence for a majority. I could see some of the hard brexiters sticking the knife in to get Boris or Rees-Mogg leading the party to the general election.

In reality, I doubt she will get all of Lib Dems as a few of them will vote to keep her because they know they will lose their seats in a GE. Same goes for some labour candidates in hard Brexit areas.
I cant see any Conservative MPs siding with Labour.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I don't think they expected anything out of the censure motion as any Tories voting for it would lose the whip. Purely a mechanism to keep up the headlines so it doesn't go quiet.

I don't agree with the above posts, delaying it a month is not an acceptable date for the vote.
They've got until the 21st to have the vote as far as I'm aware.
May has obviously been playing for time and kicking the can down the road since day one and Corbyn's been asleep since way before the referendum.

The country has been sleepwalking all this time.

Oldyella

Assuming they understand what a no deal Brexit means - apparently everything is going to be fine.
True. Media have a lot to answer for in all honesty. It's very depressing just how many people believe a no deal exit means everything stays the same.

Smores

The end of that article is infuriating. If they're actually still trying to get a legal end date on the backstop they're idiots. Exactly how many different ways can the EU tell them no?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
ERG :lol:
You know what... If the support for a second referendum grows enough she might just get the erg back onside for her deal... Plus a few labour leavers.

Not sure it will be enough to offset the dup and she might even have a few pro EU conservatives to keep in line but I think it's going to be a lot closer than it would have been last week

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Absolute fecking incompetence by Corbyn. This is becoming completely ridiculous. Demand a motion that the government have no duty to hold, and then look like an idiot by refusing to demand the stronger version because he knows damn well he can’t win it.

May must be laughing her ass off.

stevoc

How exactly did No Deal not only become part of the conversation for Brexit and a real possibility but the preferable option for some. Surely no one who understands what it actually means and has nothing to gain from it would want the UK to crash out of the EU with No Deal?

Have any Politicians suggested withdrawing Article 50 and taking a more long term approach to Brexit?

At this stage with May's deal being so undesirable for most and no alternative deal with the EU being a possibility would it not be better to take the March deadline off the table and put plans in place to undo half a century of EU integration over like 5-10 years instead of overnight. It would also allow more time to try to find a viable solution to the border problem that would preserve the GFA.

stevoc

I agree. But I'd rather just outlaw referendums as they are generally stupid things to hold for questions of this magnitude.

You don't use a shovel to get yourself out of a hole.
Don't know about outlawing them completely but yeah if they are going to be used for decisions this important. Then they shouldn't be simple yes no questions in a hastily arranged referendum.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
How exactly did No Deal not only become part of the conversation for Brexit and a real possibility but the preferable option for some. Surely no one who understands what it actually means and has nothing to gain from it would want the UK to crash out of the EU with No Deal?

Have any Politicians suggested withdrawing Article 50 and taking a more long term approach to Brexit?

At this stage with May's deal being so undesirable for most and no alternative deal with the EU being a possibility would it not be better to take the March deadline off the table and put plans in place to undo half a century of EU integration over like 5-10 years instead of overnight. It would also allow more time to try to find a viable solution to the border problem that would preserve the GFA.
No because "just get on with it".

Smores

Absolute fecking incompetence by Corbyn. This is becoming completely ridiculous. Demand a motion that the government have no duty to hold, and then look like an idiot by refusing to demand the stronger version because he knows damn well he can’t win it.

May must be laughing her ass off.
Are you suggesting he should have called the formal no confidence? People in here have been saying he should do it for weeks, it's clear if he had that he'd have lost and strengthened her further.

Steven Seagull

Because the psychopathic leavers and militant remainers have spent 2 years rubbishing any type of deal that doesn’t suit their own ideology. A total lack of responsibility from at least 90% of MPs and issue illiteracy from the other 10.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Anyone else concerned that if it went to a 2nd referendum between no deal and remain, no deal would win?

I feel like people in the UK are genuinely that stupid.
Stewart Lee put it eloquently.
“It wasn’t just racists that voted for Brexit, cnuts did. Stupid fecking cnuts”

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Are you suggesting he should have called the formal no confidence? People in here have been saying he should do it for weeks, it's clear if he had that he'd have lost and strengthened her further.
No of course he shouldn’t. What he has done however just makes him look cynical and rather stupid. He has exactly one sensible move he could make, which is get fully behind a position and come out for it with everything he has. It’s too late for nonsense games and wait and see tactics. He’s playing high stakes poker and his hand isn’t strong. His demand for a new election just makes him look like he cares only about his parties ambitions and not about the country.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Corbyn needs to just come out and back a people’s vote and a second referendum and get businesses onside and ride that momentum. It is time to go to war - it isn’t going to be pretty but we can’t allow the Tories to control the narrative and let Brexit be carried out - it’ll take years to recover.

Whatever happens civil unrest is bound to occur - that is part and parcel of this situation - I expect mass scale rioting next year from either side but for the national interest it is better to get the right decisions done and then worry about the civil unrest later.

stevoc

No because "just get on with it".
Because the psychopathic leavers and militant remainers have spent 2 years rubbishing any type of deal that doesn’t suit their own ideology. A total lack of responsibility from at least 90% of MPs and issue illiteracy from the other 10.
Yeah it's all so odd, the PM and politicians just going full steam ahead on probably the most complicated thing a country has ever tried to do with no real plan and a short (self imposed) timeframe.

And probably because they are more worried about their own careers and the future re-election chances of their party. Than they are about the country and people they are supposed to be serving.