5.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ash_86

He has been poor this season but his output will improve with a good defined structure. I hope ETH can get the best out of him.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
We can agree this is a true description, so once we transition from counter attacking as the main source of our chance creation, how much is left for the use of him in the team then? I cannot envisage how he can improve his ball retention to a high enough level for a jdp system.
I guess we'll find out in pre-season what ten Hag envisions for the player. It will be interesting to see if he attempts to utilise him in numerous positions or just one set position where he is given a set of objectives.

The only thing I'm sure of is that he will no longer be allowed to play maverick and punt the ball all over the place on his whim, so if he doesn't get 'it' or simply can't rein in his impulses, he'll find himself out of the team.

You cannot put concerted pressure on the opposition if you have players yielding to a hair trigger response to conclude a play as soon as possible rather than picking out the opportune moment to really hit where it hurts and create the biggest openings. From the Ajax matches I've seen, ten Hag's sides do this with such certainty as a collective, that he'll blow a gasket if someone is too hasty or simply not reading the flow of the game. If anyone should get that in an entire team, it really should be the attacking midfielders and inside forwards, so let's hope Bruno has it about him to adapt.

TsuWave

I swear we have the most tolerant fecking fans when it comes to certain players. I mean people were calling for fecking Ronaldo to be dropped in November, yet there are still people writing every day in this thread that Bruno is still top class and just going through a tough period.
People in general don’t like being wrong, they heralded and crowned him Cantona mk.II super hastily, and now - instead of reviewing the evidence, their statements and stances - they’d just rather double down and hope on a wish and a prayer that he comes good so that they don’t have to put their hands up and admit they championed a guy that isn’t really all that good.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's got more credit in the bank than most so he's allowed to be out of form for a while. Especially in such a dysfunctional team.

gajender

He's got more credit in the bank than most so he's allowed to be out of form for a while. Especially in such a dysfunctional team.
Can we just put a time frame on how long that credit can last because it's almost two seasons of inconsistent performance's which was earlier excused by some due to his numbers , but now as that has also dried up so basically we have ended up with a player who outside of G/A is fairly mediocre footballer.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Can we just put a time frame on how long that credit can last because it's almost two seasons of inconsistent performance's which was earlier excused by some due to his numbers , but now as that has also dried up so basically we have ended up with a player who outside of G/A is fairly mediocre footballer.
November 19th 2022.

Giggsyking

The whole team in a shit show and he has been our best player in the past 2 years. Give him some slack and time to recover his form with a functioning squad and manager.

gajender

November 19th 2022.
Thanks I think that's fair enough few months under new Manager should be enough to see whether Fernandes can contribute at decent level not only numbers wise but also in terms of performance.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Flawed player with world class attributes, and not a system player either. Great managers get rid of those when they build their own teams. I could see Ten Hag sell him within a year and use Donny more. Donny get a lot of stick here, but in the PL he has played in two dysfunctional teams in United and Everton.

mctrials23

Bruno has earned at least the coming season to prove himself IMO. He is hard working, doesn't seem to down tools and is a quality player. I have every hope that he will be fine under ETH.

Perhaps he won't have to make so many hollywood passes if we have a functional team that doesn't rely on it so heavily.

united for life

Bruno has earned at least the coming season to prove himself IMO. He is hard working, doesn't seem to down tools and is a quality player. I have every hope that he will be fine under ETH.

Perhaps he won't have to make so many hollywood passes if we have a functional team that doesn't rely on it so heavily.
indeed. At the moment, he is the one trying the most and actually creating the most. He is still leading in terms of chances created despite the drop in form. An interesting read in that:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/foot...ampaign=football_newsletter2&utm_medium=email

lex talionis

Bruno needs to show more patience on the ball. Hollywood balls still have their place in the modern game, but he's become too easy to predict and defend against.

Born2Lose

He's had a poor season but you'd think he's been our worst player according to some.

According to Whoscored's ranking he's ranked as the 36th best performing player in the PL this year for players who've played over 400 minutes. Contrast that with Rashford who's 276 out of 294 players.

Baneofthegame

I feel like because he was so exceptional it’s more noticeable when he performs below those standards, certainly not our worst player, but not to his high standards this season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
So, he's still leading the assist list in this year's Champions League campaign!

Quite incredible achievement, and to add to that, he's assisted in all games he's played this season(if I read well no other player has done that before).

romufc

I feel like because he was so exceptional it’s more noticeable when he performs below those standards, certainly not our worst player, but not to his high standards this season.
Yep, also this season we have lost runners in behind, defensive shape all over the place.

People have agendas against him but he is a quality player.

I hope he finds himself back to his best soon.

Giggsyking

And you read people seriously considering him a problem at the club.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I honestly hope Ten Hag sits him down and warns him about his on-pitch behaviour. I am convinced that we get less decisions just because refs think he is a such a fecking twat.

Idxomer

He does create chances, that's really not the problem people have with him if anyone bothers reading the arguments against him or watches the games. Anyway, this stat is misleading because it's literally about the times he passed the ball to a player who decided to take a shot. I don't know when people decided that every shot is a chance.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

The new Pogba... this is what everyone was doing at this point in Pogbas career at United.

Anyway I think he is a really good player, but he has had a poor season, despite creating many chances

Smores

All our best players are the problem according to this place. It's a constant for some time now.

It's actually our average players that seem to escape criticism the most.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Well that settles it then. He’s been just fine. It’s been mathematically proven.

In fact, as we can see, he’s been mathematically proven to have been better than De Bruyne.

Last edited:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Opinions are so extreme on this place.

He’s definitely having an off season. The biggest difference is that he’s lost his mojo in front of goal. His finishing is off. I think the regular penalties he scored in previous seasons helped his confidence as a goalscorer. Without them he’s snatching at chances he would have put away easily. He’s not striking long shots as cleanly as before either. He’s just very short on self belief in front of goal.

Obviously he’s still creating loads of chances. And without him we create sweet feck all. So even when he’s not at his best he’s a vital player for us.

He does lose possession a lot. He always has done. It’s the same with all the most creative players in the league. It wouldn’t be a massive problem if it wasn’t for the fact that, as a team, we’re absolutely piss poor at winning the ball back after we lose it. Whenever City and Liverpool lose the ball trying to create there’s a good chance they win the ball back while it’s still in the final third. Not for us though. Not with the absolutely woeful defensive effort from our attacking players and the deeply flawed midfield behind them. We’re more likely to concede a shot at goal within seconds of a lose pass from Bruno than we are to quickly win possession back. Fix all of that, get Bruno playing with some confidence again and he will be by far the least of our problems.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

He’s definitely having an off season. The biggest difference is that he’s lost his mojo in front of goal. His finishing is off. I think the regular penalties he scored in previous seasons helped his confidence as a goalscorer. Without them he’s snatching at chances he would have put away easily. He’s not striking long shots as cleanly as before either. He’s just very short on self belief in front of goal.

Obviously he’s still creating loads of chances. And without him we create sweet feck all. So even when he’s not at his best he’s a vital player for us.
Thats absolute bollocks though. In the two matches he missed, we won scoring 3 goals in both matches, with 20 shots on goal. So thats a myth right there. We create and score without Bruno just fine.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

Chances created doesn't say much. He could pass the ball to Greenwood who might take a shot from the corner of the box, Chance created..
Assists and goals, yes. Those stats actually mean something.

UncleBob

He does lose possession a lot. He always has done. It’s the same with all the most creative players in the league. It wouldn’t be a massive problem if it wasn’t for the fact that, as a team, we’re absolutely piss poor at winning the ball back after we lose it. Whenever City and Liverpool lose the ball trying to create there’s a good chance they win the ball back while it’s still in the final third. Not for us though. Not with the absolutely woeful defensive effort from our attacking players and the deeply flawed midfield behind them. We’re more likely to concede a shot at goal within seconds of a lose pass from Bruno than we are to quickly win possession back. Fix all of that, get Bruno playing with some confidence again and he will be by far the least of our problems.
Isn’t half the point that he’s not adjusting himself to reality? Not to mention the risks he takes in the wrong positions.

Kaushal

I don’t mind him losing possession if he sees an opening and going for it but he loses possession mindlessly and needlessly most of the time when there is absolutely no need. He doesn’t have to make every other pass into a through ball or a hollywood one. Not only it gives away any midfield control but also it puts so much pressure on us as a result. The whole game becomes so chaotic without any semblance of control. I would love it if ETH can cut this out of him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
This notion that we’d create feck all without him is false IMO. If he had a better pass selection, other players would create more chances. If he regularly gets the ball in midfield and just swings it hopefully forward most times, then that is a potential opportunity lost to build play that could have ended with Sancho or Dalot creating a chance. When you multiply it by the amount of times he does it - it affects the team as a whole.

As an individual, he creates a hell of a lot of chances. But I wonder how many as a ratio of what he attempts. If he attempts to create a chance every time he gets the ball within 50 yards, he will both create a lot of chances and naturally create a lot more than any of his teammates as there is only one ball.

He has quality in his final pass, but he also has terrible selection with the passes he makes. It is not a sustainable way to play team football to just swing it in behind everytime you get the ball, with the majority failing. Similarly to the fact that it isn’t sustainable for Rashford to try and shoot from anywhere within 40 yards whenever he gets the ball either, which he is often criticised for. If at the end of the season, nobody has scored more goals from range than Rashford, that doesn’t justify him shooting whenever and wherever he receives the ball.

I just hope to God that our transformation is not hindered or delayed by what I suspect will be an inevitable couple of years of Ten Hag having to force him into the team, similar to how Rooney embarrassingly ended up playing in central midfield for England. If he is to be treated like any other player in that he will need to follow instructions and perform to the required standard to stay in the team, then fine by me.

NewYorkRed

No we can’t because I’m not the sort of supporter who can’t wait till the day I’m convinced my team’s star player isn’t as good as we all thought. The state of some of you is shocking.

gajender

No we can’t because I’m not the sort of supporter who can’t wait till the day I’m convinced my team’s star player isn’t as good as we all thought. The state of some of you is shocking.
I Support United not the Individuals and wants what's best for United. Players come and go all the time , I don't believe Fernandes is quite good enough to be part of a top team as a regular and more and more people are realising that so as United would progress hopefully to become Top team capable of challenging for Big trophies in next few seasons we will see less and less of Fernandes .

Status
Not open for further replies.