Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He was an attacking midfielder playing the most advanced of a 3, for pretty much the majority of his Chelsea career. Ironic your saying people didn't watch him after saying he's not a creative player anyway.

and again, show me where i was shitting on Bruno? fantastic player and absolutely essential for any success we have had/going to have in the future,
Your comment was included because you said Lampard was a 10. No other reason. I agree he played in a midfield three. Usually one of two more attacking central midfielders, with a holding midfielder behind them. He wasn’t a 10 because he got up and down the pitch. As I said, that’s what made him such an impressive player. To score that many goals while also doing all the other stuff you need a CM to do was remarkable.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I am absolutely delighted with how Bruno played the last two games, not because I think this is a tactic to be used more frequently than really required in some emergency situations like now, but because Bruno was forced to add another dimension to his game. I just hope it stays in his toolbox now that we know it's there to be used.

That means (in theory) that at times Eriksen can move a bit more forward as Bruno can do a job deeper without going all gung-ho what was always my worry as far as I'm concerned. Bruno has matured a lot this season IMO.

AdNani

Your comment was included because you said Lampard was a 10. No other reason. I agree he played in a midfield three. Usually one of two more attacking central midfielders, with a holding midfielder behind them. He wasn’t a 10 because he got up and down the pitch. As I said, that’s what made him such an impressive player. To score that many goals while also doing all the other stuff you need a CM to do was remarkable.
Ok, but Bruno also gets up and down the pitch while playing as a 10? and while he's probably a more traditional 10 they're not too dissimilar.

Anyway the point i disagreed with is when the guy said that he was a capable goal scorer who could run, he was obviously much more than that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Ok, but Bruno also gets up and down the pitch while playing as a 10? and while he's probably a more traditional 10 they're not too dissimilar.

Anyway the point i disagreed with is when the guy said that he was a capable goal scorer who could run, he was obviously much more than that.
Ok, fair enough. I was definitely splitting hairs when I included you in the multi quote!

I do maintain that Lampard was never someone who impressed with his creativity. He was a very “vanilla” footballer, even though he was extremely well rounded and effective at what he did. Plus his eye for a goal from central midfield was second to none.

Bruno would obviously be a much better player if he could match Lampard’s decision-making and consistency of pass but for pure imagination and ability to pull off incredibly low % passes he’s a level above. He regularly hits passes that make you think “wow, how did he do that?” but Lampard never produced those sort of passes at anything like the same frequency.

Bit of a side note but one extremely valuable quality they both share is always being available for selection. No player contributes when they don’t play and I think that particular quality is probably the most undervalued in football.

El Jefe

I quoted a bunch of posts that gave the impression of not having watched Lampard play. You made the cut because you said he was a 10. He wasn’t. He was a central midfielder. At West Ham, at Chelsea and for England. If anything, your comment underrates Lampard, as what made him so special was the amount of goals he scored from central midfield.

The creativity stuff has been done to death at this stage. My memory of him is as a player who was a level below the likes of Fabregas and Giggs (then) or Bruno and De Bruyne (now) purely in terms of his creativity. Goes without saying he had other strings to his bow. For some reason this enraged the usual suspects who seem to enjoy nothing more than shitting on Manchester United’s most important creative force these last few years. I can live with that.
You keep inserting Fabregas and Giggs into the conversation for some reason. No one said Lampard was the best playmaker in the PL but the majority have said he was a damn good creative passer and have backed it up with stats and videos to refresh your memory. This goes against you calling us gimps when you were clearly the one that was wrong.

I find it quite funny how you've questioned the age of posters who have disagreed when we (the majority) should probably be questioning your age, as maybe your memory isn't quite as sharp anymore.

Trying to link this to people using this debate as a means to shit on Bruno is dishonest. A terribly inaccurate post was made which you agreed with, that is what started this. Its pretty much just posters correcting you and a couple of others.

I'm no fan of Bruno but no one can deny he's one of the most creative players in Europe and I don't think anybody has denied that so far.

AdNani

Ok, fair enough. I was definitely splitting hairs when I included you in the multi quote!

I do maintain that Lampard was never someone who impressed with his creativity. He was a very “vanilla” footballer, even though he was extremely well rounded and effective at what he did. Plus his eye for a goal from central midfield was second to none.

Bruno would obviously be a much better player if he could match Lampard’s decision-making and consistency of pass but for pure imagination and ability to pull off incredibly low % passes he’s a level above. He regularly hits passes that make you think “wow, how did he do that?” but Lampard never produced those sort of passes at anything like the same frequency.

Bit of a side note but one extremely valuable quality they both share is always being available for selection. No player contributes when they don’t play and I think that particular quality is probably the most undervalued in football.
I think when a player has one outstanding quality. We tend to overlook the other qualities that they have.

Often see Roy Keane described as a warrior and a leader, Don't often hear being described as a fantastic passer as well, which he was. Feel like Lampards goal scoring was so outstanding that people focus on that. You're right though, he wasn't a Rui Costa type of jaw dropping passes consistently but he did have it in his locker.

On Bruno, he's exceptional. when he's playing well, we play well. He's just a bit emotional, especially when things aren't going well, so in big games he tends to try to much and when it doesn't come off he strops. I wouldn't swap him for many players in football though and very glad we have him

Man Utd 2:2 Sevilla

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am yet to see any evidence that Man Utd is a better team without Bruno Fernandes. He went off after an hour tonight. Did we improve..?

El Jefe

As soon as he went off we had no control in midfield
We had no control with him on the pitch from the 30min mark and it only got worse in the second half.

Thing is it got even worse after he went off, though I'd probably say it was down to Antony also being subbed.

Glorio

He seemed to lose his head after he realised he would miss the next game. Up to that point, he was great, after that point, he just imploded.

Our senior players do show some determination, but it's resilience when things are going pear shaped that they tend to miss.

The problem is there are not a lot of players in our team that are anywhere near as decisive as him in the final third. Hence the couple of times we had the ball around their box and kept passing it until the move fizzled out

Irwin99

Great assist and a good game but as much as i agreed with him about the ridiculous yellow card I was worried he was going to talk himself into a red over the decision.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Playing him as a 8 is an absolute bad idea.

He takes too many risks, runs in too many spaces and is clearly not effective and disciplined enough.

Ten Hag made a mistake playing him deeper. We should have played him closer to Martial, bring Fred on.

arnie_ni

Loose cannon when the chips are down as usual. Eth said the ref told him be was going to send him off so he had to sub him. Can't be having that from your 2nd captain

Lyng

Loose cannon when the chips are down as usual. Eth said the ref told him be was going to send him off so he had to sub him. Can't be having that from your 2nd captain
Yeah. We need one of our cooler heads to be captain. Losing Bruno for us is like Arsenal losing Ødegaard. We desperately need him and him having a tendency to lose his head is a massive issue.

arnie_ni

Yeah. We need one of our cooler heads to be captain. Losing Bruno for us is like Arsenal losing Ødegaard. We desperately need him and him having a tendency to lose his head is a massive issue.
More importantly it turned his game shit and when he's shit we're generally shit

Lyng

More importantly it turned his game shit and when he's shit we're generally shit
Yup. Thats exactly why we need a different captain. Someone who can cool the likes of Bruno and Antony down when they go into Karen mode.

NZT-One

We had no control with him on the pitch from the 30min mark and it only got worse in the second half.

Thing is it got even worse after he went off, though I'd probably say it was down to Antony also being subbed.
That would be my stance on the matter as well.

arnie_ni

Do you think he deserved to be getting that warning? What had had done that deserved one yellow card? Never mind two?
No but it doesn't matter what I think. If they ref tells a manager this player is close to red you have no alternative but to sub him

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Bruno lost his head after it though. He should have composed himself at half time
Did he though? I don’t remember any incident from him in the second half where he was risking a second yellow.

It was the same with Antony actually. For some reason the ref ignored that most of his antics were for show and he didn’t do anything which seriously risked another booking. But that’s for a different thread…

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
"Bruno Fernandes and Lionel Messi are the only two players to have scored 50+ goals and provided 50+ assists across all competitions in Europe's top five leagues since Bruno Fernandes joined Manchester United."

zaafi

"Bruno Fernandes and Lionel Messi are the only two players to have scored 50+ goals and provided 50+ assists across all competitions in Europe's top five leagues since Bruno Fernandes joined Manchester United."
While it still is extremely impressive, it also failed to mention that at least (maybe more) 20 of those goals are penalties.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
While it still is extremely impressive, it also failed to mention that at least (maybe more) 20 of those goals are penalties.
Then why haven't all the other penalty takers in the top 5 leagues achieved the same?

Outrageous output from one of the best midfielders in the world

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I've just realized that he has played 450 minutes more (4844) than the next best outfield player in top-5 leagues (that's Vinícius Jr. with 4397). I knew that he'd be the first but to have 5 full games more than the next guy is outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.