Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
The crazy thing is the guy who cannot stop shitting on Bruno would not hear a bad word about Paul Pogba.
I can't fathom how anyone can praise Pogba's performances for United and then go on to criticise Bruno with a straight face. It makes no sense.

Dion

He has a very high amount of chances created and offensive passes.
My issue is that, this season so far, they very rarely result in a goal. His amount of assists is very low for a player in his position. Some will say its because of our attackers not converting, but then why does Eriksen have a much higher assist tally despite having less chances created? Its the same players he is feeding. Maybe its because Eriksen picks the correct pass more often and his simple passes are easier to work with.

I think thats where looking at all the stats and then adding the eye test comes together.
Bruno works extremely hard and his defensive stats are fantastic for someone in his position. But there is a issue with his decision making in the final third which the stats pretty much back up.
I don't think that's the case at all really, I suspect you're reading too much into extremely small sample sizes. Bruno doesn't consistently under-perform his xA in a way you would expect him to if what you described was the case. In fact last season was the only time he's under-performed in that metric over an entire season since he got here. Likewise in the last 3 seasons before this one Eriksen has underperformed his in a way he wouldn't have if what you're describing is true.

I think the simple reality is that a few of Eriksen's assists have been the result of a seriously good bit of forward play (Garnacho vs Fulham, Rashford's cutback from the penalty kick, the Casemiro finish from the freekick vs Forest) which have rewarded some good deliveries. Those deliveries aren't rewarded equally or evenly and Eriksen will probably make similar quality deliveries that get missed later on in the season which will even things out a bit.

Compare the quality of Rashford's back post header for the Eriksen assist vs his miss vs Brighton from a Fernandes pass, or even his like for like 3rd goal vs Arsenal. He's also had some other bad misses from his passes 1, 2 (found the video, 59 mins here), 3, 4 (40 seconds in).

When you're talking about incidents which occur in single figure numbers like assists this early in the season you're going to have your data badly swung by outliers.

Lyng

I don't think that's the case at all really, I suspect you're reading too much into extremely small sample sizes. Bruno doesn't consistently under-perform his xA in a way you would expect him to if what you described was the case. In fact last season was the only time he's under-performed in that metric over an entire season since he got here. Likewise in the last 3 seasons before this one Eriksen has underperformed his in a way he wouldn't have if what you're describing is true.

I think the simple reality is that a few of Eriksen's assists have been the result of a seriously good bit of forward play (Garnacho vs Fulham, Rashford's cutback from the penalty kick, the Casemiro finish from the freekick vs Forest) which have rewarded some good deliveries. Those deliveries aren't rewarded equally or evenly and Eriksen will probably make similar quality deliveries that get missed later on in the season which will even things out a bit.

Compare the quality of Rashford's back post header for the Eriksen assist vs his miss vs Brighton from a Fernandes pass, or even his like for like 3rd goal vs Arsenal. He's also had some other bad misses from his passes 1, 2 (found the video, 59 mins here), 3, 4 (40 seconds in).

When you're talking about incidents which occur in single figure numbers like assists this early in the season you're going to have your data badly swung by outliers.
You could be right. (and I hope so since I really like Bruno as a person and captain and his workrate)
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with Wout in the team. In the Bundesliga he was very good in front of goal and he looked good at the world cup.
With a striker like him Fernandes assist tally should rise.

Dion

You could be right. (and I hope so since I really like Bruno as a person and captain and his workrate)
It will certainly be interesting to see what happens with Wout in the team. In the Bundesliga he was very good in front of goal and he looked good at the world cup.
With a striker like him Fernandes assist tally should rise.
Weghorst's finishing isn't much to write home about, he's slightly below average. His strengths are his buildup play and his work rate, he might help bring others into play easier though.

zaafi

What is infuriating with him isn't the lack of assists or chances created. It's how often he attempts passes or decisions that are extremely unlikely to succeed. He frequently chooses the more "stylish" option rather than the simpler one because it is his playstyle, but more often than not it ends up costing the team. He doesn't have the technique or the passing to be that kind of player. He should keep it more simple and the goals and assists will come.

Dion

What is infuriating with him isn't the lack of assists or chances created. It's how often he attempts passes or decisions that are extremely unlikely to succeed. He frequently chooses the more "stylish" option rather than the simpler one because it is his playstyle, but more often than not it ends up costing the team. He doesn't have the technique or the passing to be that kind of player. He should keep it more simple and the goals and assists will come.
Again, this doesn't seem particularly accurate. KdB/TAA do the same thing as Bruno, giving the ball away just as often (or more so in KdB's case). It's just the role of the player, in fact his pass success rate and number of times dispossessed is 'up' this season.

zaafi

Again, this doesn't seem particularly accurate. KdB/TAA do the same thing as Bruno, giving the ball away just as often (or more so in KdB's case). It's just the role of the player, in fact his pass success rate and number of times dispossessed is 'up' this season.
Kevin De Bruyne has been the King of assists and chances created every season for the past few years, and also one of the best passers in the world and blessed with incredible technique. He is exactly the kind of player that can play like this.
As for TAA, he is a fullback so I'm not sure he should be in this conversation.

This season, Bruno has created as many chances as Andreas Pereira, but fewer assists. He needs to do way better, and I'm sure he can.

Lyng

Weghorst's finishing isn't much to write home about, he's slightly below average. His strengths are his buildup play and his work rate, he might help bring others into play easier though.
In the Buli he averaged one in two which is quite good.
Not Haaland or Kane levels but still much better than Martial or Antony

Dion

Kevin De Bruyne has been the King of assists and chances created every season for the past few years, and also one of the best passers in the world and blessed with incredible technique. He is exactly the kind of player that can play like this.

This season, Bruno has created as many chances as Andreas Pereira, but fewer assists. He needs to do way better, and I'm sure he can.
Bruno has the same xA as Odegaard and Trippier this season (he's currently 4th in the league overall). He's been in the top 5 xA every full year he's been here. And until the 4th September this season Bruno Fernandes had the most open play assists in the Premier League since his debut. Even now KdB is only 3 ahead in open play assists since Bruno's arrival, despite City being the vastly better team the entire time he has been here and KdB having Haaland to aim at this season.

If KdB is "the king of assists" then Bruno is a very, very close second.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

You see the difference between De Bruyne and Bruno is that De Bruyne is a much better dribbler in comparison. And when you have De Bruyne's ability to pass and connect play as well as being very good at dribbling the ball, then you have a very well rounded attacking midfielder who has multiple attacking weapons which have caused problems for many a team over the years. And if I'm not mistaken, he started his career as a winger.

Odegaard also has a very good all round game where his dribbling ability is something that makes him even more dangerous as a player for the opponent. And he's still only 24 years old, and will improve further in the coming years.

edcunited1878

First time I'm seeing player getting criticized for lack of assists when he is at top 3-5 in chance created and top 3-5 in expected assists.
He should be in two places at once, don't you know? People complained about his maverick passing of previous years, but it leads to chances. He's much more measured and going for the extra pass that leads to an shot on goal or 2nd assist, yet he's still creating lots of strong chances and taking fewer free kicks/corners (Eriksen...who happens to lead the club in assists). But because too many people look at the counting stats (goals, assists, clean sheets), they lose track of the greater picture.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
He should be in two places at once, don't you know? People complained about his maverick passing of previous years, but it leads to chances. He's much more measured and going for the extra pass that leads to an shot on goal or 2nd assist, yet he's still creating lots of strong chances and taking fewer free kicks/corners (Eriksen...who happens to lead the club in assists). But because too many people look at the counting stats (goals, assists, clean sheets), they lose track of the greater picture.
Well said. Folks just like to whinge. They are constantly complaining about the last 5 minutes instead of looking at the big picture. Bet they are loving Rashford now even though a few months ago they would have gladly driven him to the airport for the flight to anywhere but OT.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well said. Folks just like to whinge. They are constantly complaining about the last 5 minutes instead of looking at the big picture. Bet they are loving Rashford now even though a few months ago they would have gladly driven him to the airport for the flight to anywhere but OT.
Airport, it would have been to the nearest bus stop!

These are players who play for our team, we're supposed to be supporters, not whingers!

edcunited1878

I was harsh on Marcus and afforded him the chance to correct himself. There comes a time where the whinging has to stop and the criticism will be the end of or the making of.

EtH has brought back accountability across the board. And with the legit competition for most places, the players are finally responding like a proper side hungry to win things, but also understand there's a long way to go and they have to sacrifice and suffer even more along the way.

But totally dismissing him was wrong, but most folks on here aren't even week to week, it's day to day hot takes. Bruno didn't even play this week and he still got some weird pelters.

We're talking about Bruno and KDB...both must being doing things very well to be chatting them two together!

Mr PG

Bruno was the highest rated player in the world cup by whoscored and another algorithm. Him and Casemiro were amazing. Granted for Portugal he doesn’t have to drop so deep.

El Jefe

There has been a camp which I'm part of that doesn't really rate Bruno but numbers haven't been the main criticism. I just don't think he's good enough to occupy the role he does for us, when he had great numbers myself and others felt this way so it isn't a numbers issue.

Bruno is a good player, just not a great one and to be in the part of the pitch that he occupies you need a seriously top class player. He's capable of great passes but isn't a great passer and his lack of dribbling or being able to hold the ball when pressed or in tight spaces is too big of a limitation for the focal point of creativity in a team. This has been the major criticism of Bruno.

He's certainly one of our most important players and by far the best option we have currently but I feel there's a ceiling to where we can reach with Bruno occupying that role in our team.

sglowrider

Airport, it would have been to the nearest bus stop!

These are players who play for our team, we're supposed to be supporters, not whingers!
100% agree. Most non-United fans would have taken Marcus without any hesitation -- yet at United he was slagged off and binned by so many.

Last edited:

sglowrider

I was harsh on Marcus and afforded him the chance to correct himself. There comes a time where the whinging has to stop and the criticism will be the end of or the making of.

EtH has brought back accountability across the board. And with the legit competition for most places, the players are finally responding like a proper side hungry to win things, but also understand there's a long way to go and they have to sacrifice and suffer even more along the way.

But totally dismissing him was wrong, but most folks on here aren't even week to week, it's day to day hot takes. Bruno didn't even play this week and he still got some weird pelters.

We're talking about Bruno and KDB...both must being doing things very well to be chatting them two together!
The way I look at players is simple. Look at their ceiling or their potential ceiling. And if they have hit bottom (aka floor), then you need to look at how he needs to get back to hitting those heights -- whether it be the environment, injuries/recovery/fitness, manager, club, team-mates, off the pitch issues etc -- with the cavaet being age.

I stuck by Marcus simply because we have seen him hit some pretty serious high level performances and we could see the trajectory. The issue was how does the manager/coaching staff and club get him back there?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The way I look at players is simple. Look at their ceiling or their potential ceiling. And if they have hit bottom (aka floor), then you need to look at how he needs to get back to hitting those heights -- whether it be the environment, manager, club, team-mates, off the pitch issues etc -- with the cavaet being age.

I stuck by Marcus simply because we have seen him hit some pretty serious high level performances and we could see the trajectory. The issue was how does the manager/coaching staff and club get him back there?
I'd say he's pretty much there given his form thus far this season, he's not and never will be an out and out goalscorer IMO hence why we've been looking for a CF for quite a while

edcunited1878

There has been a camp which I'm part of that doesn't really rate Bruno but numbers haven't been the main criticism. I just don't think he's good enough to occupy the role he does for us, when he had great numbers myself and others felt this way so it isn't a numbers issue.

Bruno is a good player, just not a great one and to be in the part of the pitch that he occupies you need a seriously top class player. He's capable of great passes but isn't a great passer and his lack of dribbling or being able to hold the ball when pressed or in tight spaces is too big of a limitation for the focal point of creativity in a team. This has been the major criticism of Bruno.

He's certainly one of our most important players and by far the best option we have currently but I feel there's a ceiling to where we can reach with Bruno occupying that role in our team.
Bruno is a great player and reaching that next level of world class is few and far between.

I would respectfully disagree that Bruno isn't a great passer. He's a good passer, with great vision, and is a match winner with his passing. And his technique is very good. That all adds up to being a great provider, which he is.

Of those things yoy listed...prime close control, ability to dribble out of a press or when surrounded by players, great passer...that's a poor man's Messi.

So I'll ask you this...if not Bruno, then who? Not many to choose from at the world class level you choose to seek.

And we're not even considering Bruno's off the ball work, his defensive contributions, nor winners mentality.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Bruno is a great player and reaching that next level of world class is few and far between.

I would respectfully disagree that Bruno isn't a great passer. He's a good passer, with great vision, and is a match winner with his passing. And his technique is very good. That all adds up to being a great provider, which he is.

Of those things yoy listed...prime close control, ability to dribble out of a press or when surrounded by players, great passer...that's a poor man's Messi.

So I'll ask you this...if not Bruno, then who? Not many to choose from at the world class level you choose to seek.

And we're not even considering Bruno's off the ball work, his defensive contributions, nor winners mentality.
Well one group is going to be eating their words over the next 3-4 months because Bruno will have someone to pass to in a proper CF, so he's either gonna prove his passing is great or not, I think it'll be the former and that he reduces the play acting whinging that is beneath him IMO

edcunited1878

Well one group is going to be eating their words over the next 3-4 months because Bruno will have someone to pass to in a proper CF, so he's either gonna prove his passing is great or not, I think it'll be the former and that he reduces the play acting whinging that is beneath him IMO
His play acting can be over the top at times and it gets to him. Be a shithouse, but control it better. A la Lisandro.

There needs to be a balance that the CF brings. Can't just feed the CF and expect him to finish everything. If Marcus starts deferring and Bruno doesn't get his attempts in or Antony just spams left footed crosses from the right, United will become too predictable.

But Bruno won't stop creating chances at a high clip.

Strelok

Imo KDB is currently the best CAM in the world and Bruno second best, but not by a large margin. In fact, very close imo if we consider their all around skill sets and contribution. No idea who's the third best though.

El Jefe

You've said it yourself Bruno is a good passer but he isn't a great one. True, he has excellent vision but execution and consistency is what makes great passers and Bruno isn't quite that. Bruno will rarely dominate a game with his passing but he is capable of world class moments.

I said he lacked close control and dribbling, I didn't say he had to be elite at those qualities. Bruno's limitations in these areas place a ceiling on how good we can be especially for a team that aims to be a possession based team. It's nothing personal against Bruno but you look at players like D.Silva, Ozil, Fabregas, Iniesta, Isco, Bernardo Silva and many others, they were key components for their teams being able to recycle possession.

The best version of Bruno exists in a counter attacking team as we saw under Ole. I said he's not world class but he is when it comes to picking the pass into the open space. The issue with this however is it's a lot harder in this era to be a winning team playing that style or football.

I'm not a scout nor do I necessarily think we need a No.10 as many teams play with two No.8s.

I will give you his defensive contribution, that is where he provides enormous value to the team, especially the attacking players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bruno is the heart of this team, ofcourse he will and should occupy the positions that he currently occupies, at least till we sign improvement on Bruno or change the system and sign a CM who can make bigger impact than Bruno, directly or indirectly.

Lyng

He was absolutely awful for most of the game, but without him we dont win today. I wont complain about him again.

slored1

Thought he was excellent and my MOTM. Nullified Rodri and Cancelo while providing with goal and a pre-assist.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He was absolutely awful for most of the game, but without him we dont win today. I wont complain about him again.
What the hell does this mean?

He is a phenomenal captain. I love this guy and, without a doubt, our best signing in the post SAF era.

Sylar

Looked better central. Don't know what he shouted for rashford to leave the ball, but brilliant

The other stuff is general stuff with the ball and trying to always find a killer ball.
But what a captain

lost7

Great finish. Also there was one bit in the second half after City's goal where he booted the ball up from defense, Rashford couldn't keep it and 2 seconds later he was in midfield putting pressure on the ball.

Not the most technical game, but his efforts are always superb. True captain stuff out there

Status
Not open for further replies.