2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Marwood

Absolute bluffer. I wish we listened to the scouts more who said not to sign him
I can understand some fans not being huge fans of Bruno. Maybe.

But I can't for one moment understand yourself with the above or the others who come out with stuff like "can't stand him."

Any player who gives his absolute all and causes no problems off the pitch gets a certain amount of appreciation from me. No matter what other shortcomings they have.

That's before we even consider the good things he's given us over the last four years.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So he did what he always does. Thats my point. I (!!!), in my personal opinion, don't think, he did better yesterday than he did in most of the last games. The biggest difference is the result. Can you understand, why I don't think, the ability of a player varies so much in the course of a few games? You don't have to agree, I'm just interested if you can follow that train of thought. Isn't it more likely (or at least just as likely) that the opposition varies and that certain conditions make it easier to shine?
For once I agree with you. As an individual, Bruno didn’t play much better than he has in recent games. The big difference wasn’t the opposition though. It was his team mates stepping up. No doubt Bruno would be getting the usual dog’s abuse from the usual suspects in the thread if Rashford had messed up his assist to Garnacho and/or if Hojlund spooned his volley over the bar.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Don’t have much time for replying as I’m out over Xmas. So I’ll reply with some of your own belters….Also just for consistency from you, in 90 mins last night Bruno played 47 passes with an atrocious 66% conversion rate…..Surely not or you’d be saying things like this:

Because a match lasts 90 minutes and two great assists takes less than 90 seconds

65% in all areas of the pitch is fecking shocking. Those are Nani on a bad day stats. Absolutely diabolical for a CM. Surely they’re not accurate?!? (They weren’t)

He did play well overall though. But we know he’s capable of playing that well. If only he could be more consistent and cut out these stupid moments then he really would be as good as his fan club on here seem to think he is.

The one really big "fact" I want to see in defence is someone reminding me that I've misremembered his frankly pitiful return of two objectively MOTM displays in big games since he signed for the club. I'm honestly curious here

Are we talking goals? Turns out taking 10 penalties (it is 10, right?) in a season is good for a player's goals tally. Who'd have thunk it

And let's not forget this discussion is now getting focussed exclusively on the one thing that everyone agrees is capable of doing well. Playing one or two really great, creative passes every 90 minutes or so.

And regarding putting chances on a plate for absolute donkeys to miss:

Aubameyang is the league's top scorer but has missed 20 "big chances" this season.
Lukaku and Rashford have missed 14 each
Lacazette is on 13
Kane is on 11
Aguero on 10

Q aimed at everyone, not just the person I quoted.

Big games, against top opposition, where he stood up to be counted. Proper game changing performances. The sort of thing you'd expect from the best player at a top football club.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

This season’s really just been the same as previous seasons. Some good games, some great games and a load of average to shit games. With the good/great games almost always against piss poor opposition.

You could make a case for him being one of our better performers but only because everyone else has been so crap. And it keeps coming back to the fact that truly great players - the type of player he is supposed to be - inspire and elevate the performance of everyone around them. Especially in the toughest fixtures. Which is laughably far removed from what’s been actually happening.

But look at the really top players who play (or used to play) in his position. They can produce a couple of passes like that in any give game and do all the other stuff at an extremely high level. It’s fecking madness that you’d give him a pass for two quality moments over 90 minutes.

Obviously we’ve far far worse players in our squad but for someone who is supposed to be the star of the bunch he underwhelms a disgraceful amount of times every season

what an arrogant prat. Telling other people what they do and don’t know about football because they have a different opinion to you about a player’s performance. Have a word with yourself

All the best pal.
Absolute meltdown. :lol:

cyberman

Wasn’t a typical Bruno performance at all. A typical Bruno performance would be playing him 70 yards from goal and asking him to try and stick a ball through the eye a needle and hope someone gets on the end of it
Lovely little slide rule passes were being played last night, able to get the ball to feet and asking Rashford and Garnacho to take men on and have support around them rather than a ball over the top that isolated them v the defenders.
Keep him there as a 10 for feck sake

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
For once I agree with you. As an individual, Bruno didn’t play much better than he has in recent games. The big difference wasn’t the opposition though. It was his team mates stepping up. No doubt Bruno would be getting the usual dog’s abuse from the usual suspects in the thread if Rashford had messed up his assist to Garnacho and/or if Hojlund spooned his volley over the bar.
Amen.

Offsideagain

I think why most people get onto Bruno's case, me included, is the bloody arm waving and shouting at others especially Refs. His ill discipline got him booked last night when the Villa guy stood over the ball to prevent a quick free kick, which we do too, heaven forbid Bruno even does it. When he's playing football and the team are performing is when he's at his best. There isn't a footballer, person alive that doesn't make mistakes. Even the faux genius Guardiola makes mistakes. As this is a forum, folk can say what they like about who they like, but as the Forum rules say 'Criticise the post, not the poster and remain respectful to other posters'.

Mainoldo

Such a crap player. I hope we use the money from his sale to get a better midfielder. Couldn’t care about his no look pass through balls. He’s a standard player who can’t hold a defensive position.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I think why most people get onto Bruno's case, me included, is the bloody arm waving and shouting at others especially Refs. His ill discipline got him booked last night when the Villa guy stood over the ball to prevent a quick free kick, which we do too, heaven forbid Bruno even does it. When he's playing football and the team are performing is when he's at his best. There isn't a footballer, person alive that doesn't make mistakes. Even the faux genius Guardiola makes mistakes. As this is a forum, folk can say what they like about who they like, but as the Forum rules say 'Criticise the post, not the poster and remain respectful to other posters'.
Each to their own but I've never understood why some of our own fans hate the arm waving and shouting. He's an emotional guy and it's just an expression of his frustration. I don't recall anyone getting on Rooney's case for frequently shouting at his teammates and the ref. He couldn't even hold it back during Carrick's testimonial where he was gobbing off at the ref. I was watching it on TV thinking "it's just a friendly Rooney - chill out". But I guess that's what some footballers are like.

Mainoldo

Each to their own but I've never understood why some of our own fans hate the arm waving and shouting. He's an emotional guy and it's just an expression of his frustration. I don't recall anyone getting on Rooney's case for frequently shouting at his teammates and the ref. He couldn't even hold it back during Carrick's testimonial where he was gobbing off at the ref. I was watching it on TV thinking "it's just a friendly Rooney - chill out". But I guess that's what some footballers are like.
I think this one’s simple. Rooney you could see was class. This guy isn’t so it’s a problem.

Mainoldo

So arm waving and shouting is a privilege afforded only to the elite footballers? Gotcha.
No im sure he’d be fine doing it at Spurs. But he does it for us the biggest club in England. You have to have so clout to be doing that here. You can’t be an anybody player.

youngrell

The difference I think people see, is that Bruno is a flamboyant Portugueezer who looks like he’s whining, compared to a Keane/Rooney who look like ‘hard men’ who want to knock your block off.

I’m pretty sure the message is the same from all 3, i.e “ref that was a shite decision” or for their teammates to start doing their jobs properly. I imagine Keane would be tearing absolute strips off people like Rashford if he were playing alongside them and they’re walking about. Bruno is not allowed to do it though because he looks like he’s crying or something.

Andersons Dietician

Yesterday I felt he played quite well. Villa played in to his hands and there was still the occasional what the hell are you doing Bruno moments and some poor passes but the way Eriksen and Mainoo moved the ball around with him just being more intense in the way they moved it really helped to give him spaces to fire his long range passes in to. Obviously the wide open free space that Rashford had but yeah played well.

Now if he can replicate that against teams that aren’t going to allow so much space then excellent.

mu4c_20le

He was instrumental for us, and like our other attackers, tends to play his best when we go direct and crank up the tempo.

KeanoMagicHat

Mybad. How many titles does he have with us or other clubs?
Always a shit argument, Nathan Dyer has as many titles as Mo Salah, Jeremy Aliadiere has as many titles as Harry Kane, suppose that makes them top players by that logic.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He was instrumental for us, and like our other attackers, tends to play his best when we go direct and crank up the tempo.
He's at his best when he has forwards in front of him that make good runs. Credit to Garnacho and Rashford last night.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Was massive yesterday. Incredible that some people here still find the words to downplay him, buf we all know the cafe has been a dark place in recent years

I, for one, want to say that Bruno is my favorite player currently and i love his winning mentality. Some of you, who are infected by Pep's fecking possesion based game and don't understand a player who always looks foward and plays the risky pass. You're looking at the player who's about to break the record for most created chances on a season by a mile. This is how you make a team win. Don't care about safe side and back passes. Probably you all miss tom cleverley. Bruno is NOT the reason we arent top 4 this season.

More of this please, captain

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I also think it helps Bruno when Eriksen is in the team as it absolves him of some of the responsibility of having to make things happen.
Certainly helps the team. We’re much much easier to defend against when only one of our midfielders can create. Hopefully Mainoo will also ask some questions from the opposition defence as he settles into the team.

TheReligion

Abusive
Certainly helps the team. We’re much much easier to defend against when only one of our midfielders can create. Hopefully Mainoo will also ask some questions from the opposition defence as he settles into the team.
Absolutely. Mainoo has that in his locker. I think Eriksen, Mainoo and Bruno look an interesting trio. No absolute destroyer or physical presence but can dominate the ball and pick passes from all angles.

frostbite

Bruno is our best player. Rashford is our second-best player. They are not perfect, and they are not consistent, but these two (plus Shaw) are a class above our other players.

The problem is that when Bruno and Rashford are not playing well, we don't have anyone else who will cover for them, creating and scoring. If Antony and Hojlund were as good as Bruno and Rashford, we'd have a great attack. As things stand now, if Bruno and Rashford are not at their best, we are toothless. So, the real problems are Antony and Hojlund, who are not at the required level. Just compare Hojlund with the strikers we had during the SAF years. Bruno playing with someone like Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy would be a lot of fun!

Yagami

Good post resistant
I was having a nosey on a Villa forum to see what they thought about the game and their pre-match day thread was titled: "The "Let's Smash Rat Boy Fernandes" Match Thread"

They're apparently not a fan! I never realised he was such a thorn in their sides.

Mainoldo

Always a shit argument, Nathan Dyer has as many titles as Mo Salah, Jeremy Aliadiere has as many titles as Harry Kane, suppose that makes them top players by that logic.
How many first team starts did those guys have in them seasons. Bring up the stats! :)

Wing Attack Plan R

He’s just high risk/high reward. All the great players tilt one side of that. Bruno struggles to.
Not only that. He can also switch between showing fantastic attitude and terrible attitude. I thought his effort against Chelsea was incredible. He tracked back, made slide tackles and key interceptions. In other games we have seen him be extremely petulant, when the going gets tough.
I've played with players like Bruno. When things are going right, they are able to be super creative and influential. When things are not working out right, they want to start doing other people's jobs too, which diminishes their ability to influence the game. As in, they run around and cover someone else's man, cover too much ground and get out of position, or take it on themselves to shoot from distance or try a risky Hollywood ball. When the structure around Bruno is functioning, his class comes through. Kinda like when Rooney was dropping too deep to get involved, and he was finally instructed to just stay up top and let others do the dog work.
I believe that I said it in the past but he is a slightly lesser version of Pogba. I say lesser because Pogba has shown a higher level against elite opposition but both have this strange ability to align 15 minutes of Football that go from great to absolutely terrible which happens every weeks and is their version of consistency. Also when they are off, they are nearly completely off but still can have that moment of brilliance that comes out of nowhere.
Pogba seemed to be a more talented player but I don't remember him having anything near the impact that Bruno has had for us. Maybe at Juventus Pogba was the big dog, but all I remember is Pogba breaking hearts with his hot and cold displays.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Apparently they can. They even see faults that aren't there, so good luck debating.

If it weren't for reasonable posters like @Pogue Mahone I'd feel like I was stuck in a room full of flat-earthers.
He’s a reasonable poster because he likes Bruno? He’s regularly resorting to childish insults. There’s one a couple of posts above yours…and my post today was a montage of his best quotes on another player all of which he totally ignores when it comes to Bruno.
That’s not reasonable it’s laughable.

Mainoldo

John O’ Shea has more medals than all of them. And played the majority of matches in almost every season for his whole United career. I’d say it’s a safe bet you were never a fan of his?
Bruno Fernandes is no different than John O’Shea in where he sits with his peers. The fact we rate this guy so highly is one of the reasons why we are so shite. The standards are on the floor.

I’m watching Nkunku right now. It’s night and day with regards to talent.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Bruno Fernandes is no different than John O’Shea in where he sits with his peers. The fact we rate this guy so highly is one of the reasons why we are so shite. The standards are on the floor.

I’m watching Nkunku right now. It’s night and day with regards to talent.
I remember when I had my first beer