2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

PSV

Do you know who created most chances in La Liga in 22/23 season? Aleix Vidal for Espanyol. The game doesn't revolve around one player creating chances for a team. It does for us (and Espanyol) because the rest of our players are incapable of creating consistently.
Where are you pulling these stats? He wasn't even top 5 in his team (8th) with his 15 chances (5 big) created.

Also, playing more isn't necessarily an advantage.

zaafi

Where are you pulling these stats? He wasn't even top 5 in his team (8th) with his 15 chances (5 big) created.

Also, playing more isn't necessarily an advantage.
What? Got a link for that? Fotmob has got him at 65 chances created.

Playing more is, of course, an advantage. Do you think Haaland would have scored more if he played 10 less games?

Last edited:

PSV

What? Got a link for that?

Playing more is, of course, an advantage. Do you think Haaland would have scored more if he played 10 less games?
It's fotmob, same as you use. He started 10 games last season so for him to be top would be nothing short of a miracle.

I do think Bruno would have been even sharper if he'd seen out less games. It's a case of City having 4 great midfielders and us barely having 2 though.

Eddy_JukeZ

There's a happy medium between Bruno being better than Beckham and Bruno being incapable of being in a team competing for top trophies who only has good stats because he plays a lot.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Bruno for my money is easily one of the best footballers we’ve ever had at the club. Wouldn’t look out of place in any of our great teams.

Saying Scholes or Carrick etc are miles better is just not true. Bruno has consistently performed near their regular standards basically since he joined.
Bruno Fernandes will never ever come anywhere remotely close to Paul Scholes (he isn’t in the same category as Carrick anyway - there’s levels between those two as well) as a footballer. Scholes is among the top 5 central midfielders I’ve seen. One of footballs greats.

Bruno has good end product but looking at the bigger picture he’s a very good footballer rather than one knocking on the doors of football greatness.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Having said that Bruno is a fine player. It’s just that silly comparisons don’t do him any favour.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
If everyone else in the team shows half the qualities in their position as he does as a chance creator(Attacking Midfielder) we'll be top of the league by a mile.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Shame he didn't know that it's pointless to create chances as we don't have players to finish them. Fraud, can't even read the room.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
There's more than goals for a midfielder to help win or change a game!

Bruno has consistently put on the numbers for United and been at the top of the charts for chances created since his arrival.
There's no agenda in that, just cold hard truths.
Again, similar to the other poster, it's clear you don't rate the guy, but there's no substance to the argument given what he has produced for United.

Is it solely down to Bruno he's only won one trophy, given the fact his national side has won a trophy with him playing and his previous team won multiple trophies with Bruno a pivotal part of that?
Being the ‘match winner’ typically means you are the player who directly won the game. Goals win games. I’ve never seen a post match interview with the ‘match winner’ and in comes a guy who won a tackle in midfield.

It’s absolutely mental the amount of posters who in one sentence state ‘there’s more to football than goals and assists’ then in the next state ‘Bruno is top of the charts for chances created’. If Bruno topped the charts for goals and assists then the same posters would mock someone bringing up KDB chances created stats. They’re not of great importance and they don’t win anything.

I’ll never forget the game of 100 crosses under Moyes. Had we kept that up I’m sure we’d have topped a lot of random charts but very few that actually matter.

How do I rate Bruno? He’s a very good player when he plays well and not a very good player when he doesn’t. He’s not consistently good and absolutely miles below the standard of Beckham and Scholes to the point that comparison is ridiculous. Hilarious. Yet your focus is on people who don’t think chances created is the be all and end all?

On your final point, Bruno at 29 has won three league cups and a Portuguese cup. Plus an inaugural international friendly tournament. That’s poor.

So he was a pivotal part of a Sporting team that won a couple of league cups? Sporting have been more successful since they sold him.The season after he left they went from being a team that finished 3/4 to a team that won the league. The season after they finished second with the same amount of points. They won more games, scored more goals, conceded less goals, and got more points and won more trophies AFTER Bruno was pivotal to a couple of league cups.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

Shame he didn't know that it's pointless to create chances as we don't have players to finish them. Fraud, can't even read the room.
Who missed an easy, massive chance v Spurs that cost us? But it’s everyone else’s fault.

zaafi

That's not what the point was, but feel free to completely ignore that. He can create chances, we get it. Why are these stats being linked over and over?

He leads xA after three games, but also missed two sitters himself already. Maybe he could learn to actually score too.

roonster09

Scout
That's not what the point was, but feel free to completely ignore that. He can create chances, we get it. Why are these stats being linked over and over?

He leads xA after three games, but also missed two sitters himself already. Maybe he could learn to actually score too.
Because this is Bruno's thread and it is there to discuss his performance?

He leads xA after 3 games, he is among the top chance creator in every season. Do you have problem with that?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Being the ‘match winner’ typically means you are the player who directly won the game. Goals win games. I’ve never seen a post match interview with the ‘match winner’ and in comes a guy who won a tackle in midfield.

It’s absolutely mental the amount of posters who in one sentence state ‘there’s more to football than goals and assists’ then in the next state ‘Bruno is top of the charts for chances created’. If Bruno topped the charts for goals and assists then the same posters would mock someone bringing up KDB chances created stats. They’re not of great importance and they don’t win anything.

I’ll never forget the game of 100 crosses under Moyes. Had we kept that up I’m sure we’d have topped a lot of random charts but very few that actually matter.

How do I rate Bruno? He’s a very good player when he plays well and not a very good player when he doesn’t. He’s not consistently good and absolutely miles below the standard of Beckham and Scholes to the point that comparison is ridiculous. Hilarious. Yet your focus is on people who don’t think chances created is the be all and end all?

On your final point, Bruno at 29 has won three league cups and a Portuguese cup. Plus an inaugural international friendly tournament. That’s poor.

So he was a pivotal part of a Sporting team that won a couple of league cups? Sporting have been more successful since they sold him.The season after he left they went from being a team that finished 3/4 to a team that won the league. The season after they finished second with the same amount of points. They won more games, scored more goals, conceded less goals, and got more points and won more trophies AFTER Bruno was pivotal to a couple of league cups.
Alan Shearer was one of the best strikers I've ever seen, didn't win a huge amount.
Harry Kane hasn't won a huge amount so far either.
Yet Jonathan Greening has won a champions League medal ....trophies aren't really a benchmark for how good a player is, but you can't really say that Bruno is a letdown when he has won trophies in every club he has played for. Strange logic really.
But as for Sporting winning the league after Bruno had gone, you realise that was COVID year right, where no spectators in the game, and you also realise that Sporting were in disarray a few months before with supporters protests and such like? Also they spent a fortune on a new manager, like a massive amount, which obviously helped. But context isn't important I guess.

I think it's pretty obvious that you and @zaafi have both had a bit of a mare in here over the last few days, you have had people flinging multiple metrics and stats around and the only comebacks have been incorrect stats or weird straw man arguements.

I think it's fair to say that multiple managers both at United and at International level rate Bruno, and really that's all that counts, here's hoping they carry on rating Bruno as I dread to think where we'd be without him.

zaafi

Because this is Bruno's thread and it is there to discuss his performance?

He leads xA after 3 games, he is among the top chance creator in every season. Do you have problem with that?
I don't have a problem with that. I think it's good because he is doing what he was bought to do. Unfortunately, it's not enough to be one of the best teams. You're having a laugh if you think he could replace De Bruyne, for instance, for City.

roonster09

Scout
I don't have a problem with that. I think it's good because he is doing what he was bought to do. Unfortunately, it's not enough to be one of the best teams. You're having a laugh if you think he could replace De Bruyne, for instance, for City.
1 player won't win the league and who cares whether he could replace KdB at City when City wins the league without KdB easily. Stick to factual information rather than making up imaginary scenarios in your head and crying about it.

Are you 12 years old? Ffs :lol:
It's ironic you post this after you shitfest posts.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I'm not sure if I rate Haaland anymore. All he does is score lots of goals. And looking back, Ronaldinho and Cantona are frauds. Way too wasteful and risk-taking for my blood.

If I was the manager then I'd demand a minimum pass accuracy of 90% from all of my players. I'd also ban laughter.

Lyng

I can totally understand how Bruno can be frustrating to watch. It took a long time for me to warm to him. He will lose the ball in dangerous positions and he has a tendency to drift out of games where we are getting hammered. He is also a bit of a whiny baby at times.

BUT, he is also one of the most creative players in the world. Both Ødegaard and KDB lose the ball in dangerous positions at times. Its something that usually comes with players that go for the dangerous pass more often than not.
Like KDB said himself, Bruno is a creative machine, and what you gain from him far outweighs the negatives.
No player is perfect and id rather have Bruno create 10 chances in a match and miss a sitter, than tell him to play conservatively and miss out on those 10 chances. We have Rasmus now and he will benefit massively from Bruno creating chances for him, and vice versa.

zaafi

1 player won't win the league and who cares whether he could replace KdB at City when City wins the league without KdB easily. Stick to factual information rather than making up imaginary scenarios in your head and crying about it.

It's ironic you post this after you shitfest posts.
It's not ironic at all. I have an opinion about Bruno and it's that he's world class at creating chances, but ultimately it's not enough to be a top team as he's been shit in several finals. The fact that you get so angry over someone else's opinion that differs from yours isn't my problem.

You're the one reacting like a teenager. Embarrassing, really.

Teja

Sign Mitoma!!!! he's above Saka :eek:
He's my favorite Brighton player - I think destined for Liverpool / City eventually. We have Rashford, Garnacho and Sancho for that position and I think he'll be better than all three but we won't pull the trigger because of our depth there.

roonster09

Scout
It's not ironic at all. I have an opinion about Bruno and it's that he's world class at creating chances, but ultimately it's not enough to be a top team as he's been shit in several finals. The fact that you get so angry over someone else's opinion that differs from yours isn't my problem.

You're the one reacting like a teenager. Embarrassing, really.
I posted a simple stat, you started crying about it, not my problem. Wouldn't even compare you to a teenager as they are much more matured than someone like you.

Re bold part :lol: what an odd way of rating players but then again it's not surprising.

zaafi

I posted a simple stat, you started crying about it, not my problem. Wouldn't even compare you to a teenager as they are much more matured than someone like you.

Re bold part :lol: what an odd way of rating players but then again it's not surprising.
Failing to perform in big games is an odd way of rating a player? Dear God, I think we'll stop here. :wenger:

roonster09

Scout
Failing to perform in big games is an odd way of rating a player? Dear God, I think we'll stop here. :wenger:

Go and tell everyone how Haaland isn't good enough for a top team because he didn't score or assist a single goal in 5 finals for ManCity.

Or are you going to pretend Kane isn't good enough for top team because his record isn't good in finals?

How many goals did KdB score in finals? (genuine question btw) He is the one who plays for the team that qualifies for cup finals regularly and for the best team.

How many finals did Bruno even play in? As far I remember it's 3.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Apart from topping stats for creating, his defensive stats are not bad.
# of tackles won - 13th
# of tackles won in final third - 7th
Tackles + Interceptions - 12th
# of dribblers tackled - 1st (not sure if it's of any use)

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Apart from topping stats for creating, his defensive stats are not bad.
# of tackles won - 13th
# of tackles won in final third - 7th
Tackles + Interceptions - 12th
# of dribblers tackled - 1st (not sure if it's of any use)
Yeah, I never understood the criticism when it comes to his defensive output. For being an attacking midfielder he's quite good defensively!

zaafi

I can totally understand how Bruno can be frustrating to watch. It took a long time for me to warm to him. He will lose the ball in dangerous positions and he has a tendency to drift out of games where we are getting hammered. He is also a bit of a whiny baby at times.

BUT, he is also one of the most creative players in the world. Both Ødegaard and KDB lose the ball in dangerous positions at times. Its something that usually comes with players that go for the dangerous pass more often than not.
Like KDB said himself, Bruno is a creative machine, and what you gain from him far outweighs the negatives.
No player is perfect and id rather have Bruno create 10 chances in a match and miss a sitter, than tell him to play conservatively and miss out on those 10 chances. We have Rasmus now and he will benefit massively from Bruno creating chances for him, and vice versa.
I appreciate you taking the time to post a decent post unlike others who just instantly say you have a shit opinion because it doesn't align with theirs.

While I agree that he is one of the best in the world at creating chances, I think a great midfielder needs to do more than just that. Ødegaard and De Bruyne are behind him in terms of chances created, but they offer much more and have a vast set of skills in comparison.

I wouldn't have a problem with him if he created 10 chances per game, because that would mean he creates 380 chances per PL season, but the reality is that he creates between 1 and 4 chances per game, and in the games he creates two, he struggles to impact the game in other ways.
In the games where we are being dominated in midfield (which is very often), he doesn't contribute to bringing balance back. He runs a lot, but doesn't really bring physicality or presence. Now, I'm not saying it's his fault, it's just a flaw in his game. Others are equally at fault as well.

Personally, I think if we're going to play with a 10, they need to have a much more varied set of skills and technique, like David Silva, Ødegaard, Özil or Kaka. I think Wirtz or a Musiala could be very good as a replacement in the future. If we can't get a 10 like that, we're never going to consistently control midfield and in that case, we should play with another box-to-box midfielder like a Valverde or Bruno Guimaraes.

Gordon Godot

I appreciate you taking the time to post a decent post unlike others who just instantly say you have a shit opinion because it doesn't align with theirs.

While I agree that he is one of the best in the world at creating chances, I think a great midfielder needs to do more than just that. Ødegaard and De Bruyne are behind him in terms of chances created, but they offer much more and have a vast set of skills in comparison.

I wouldn't have a problem with him if he created 10 chances per game, because that would mean he creates 380 chances per PL season, but the reality is that he creates between 1 and 4 chances per game, and in the games he creates two, he struggles to impact the game in other ways.
In the games where we are being dominated in midfield (which is very often), he doesn't contribute to bringing balance back. He runs a lot, but doesn't really bring physicality or presence. Now, I'm not saying it's his fault, it's just a flaw in his game. Others are equally at fault as well.

Personally, I think if we're going to play with a 10, they need to have a much more varied set of skills and technique, like David Silva, Ødegaard, Özil or Kaka. I think Wirtz or a Musiala could be very good as a replacement in the future. If we can't get a 10 like that, we're never going to consistently control midfield and in that case, we should play with another box-to-box midfielder like a Valverde or Bruno Guimaraes.
Tend to agree, its good to have him create chances but we are trying to build a more possession based team and one that can exploit turnovers. If Bruno immediately gives the ball back to the opposition it leaves us exposed. Same is true of Rashford. both more suited to the sit deep and break tactics of Ole. Unfortunately Antony was signed to be part of ETH's shift in style but is often equally culpable in giving the ball away

roonster09

Scout
Tend to agree, its good to have him create chances but we are trying to build a more possession based team and one that can exploit turnovers. If Bruno immediately gives the ball back to the opposition it leaves us exposed. Same is true of Rashford. both more suited to the sit deep and break tactics of Ole. Unfortunately Antony was signed to be part of ETH's shift in style but is often equally culpable in giving the ball away
Bruno doesn't give away possession any more than KdB does, they don't have problem building possession team.

Reality is, we are not trying to build possession team, we are building a team that moves the ball quickly vertically and trying to win the possession in the final third. If we were building possession based team we would have signed a high volume passer by now and wouldn't have signed Mount.

Gordon Godot

Bruno doesn't give away possession any more than KdB does, they don't have problem building possession team.

Reality is, we are not trying to build possession team, we are building a team that moves the ball quickly vertically and trying to win the possession in the final third. If we were building possession based team we would have signed a high volume passer by now and wouldn't have signed Mount.
Disagree, we are certainly not the sit deep and break team that Ole was building. The problem is we cant afford how we play for Bruno and others to surrender possession so quickly when we do get it back. I dont believe we will win anything if we cant keep the ball for sustained periods. Its one thing to press high but you need a solid foundation behind that if the press is broken, and you need to be able to build out from back. Otherwise we get destroyed, as several games have shown already.

roonster09

Scout
Disagree, we are certainly not the sit deep and break team that Ole was building. The problem is we cant afford how we play for Bruno and others to surrender possession so quickly when we do get it back. I dont believe we will win anything if we cant keep the ball for sustained periods. Its one thing to press high but you need a solid foundation behind that if the press is broken, and you need to be able to build out from back. Otherwise we get destroyed, as several games have shown already.
There are more than 2 ways of playing, other than possession based and sit deep to counter.

Gordon Godot

There are more than 2 ways of playing, other than possession based and sit deep to counter.
Yes, but you cant rely on high press as your main approach. You cant sustain it. You need to have a strong cover behind and then at times keep possession and be able to build. We cant do the latter as we have too many players that are poor at retaining the ball, I suspect its one reason we couldnt sustain the first half performance at Spurs.

roonster09

Scout
Yes, but you cant rely on high press as your main approach. You cant sustain it. You need to have a strong cover behind and then at times keep possession and be able to build. We cant do the latter as we have too many players that are poor at retaining the ball, I suspect its one reason we couldnt sustain the first half performance at Spurs.
If we are trying to build possession team, why do we have to many players who are poor at retaining the ball? After spending shit loads of money and signing lots of players.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
We cant do the latter as we have too many players that are poor at retaining the ball,
So replace the other players then?

Selling Bruno to give the central midfield and defence better control of the center of the pitch would be like Tottenham selling Kane because the midfield isn't good at creating chances.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Alan Shearer was one of the best strikers I've ever seen, didn't win a huge amount.
Harry Kane hasn't won a huge amount so far either.
Yet Jonathan Greening has won a champions League medal ....trophies aren't really a benchmark for how good a player is, but you can't really say that Bruno is a letdown when he has won trophies in every club he has played for. Strange logic really.
But as for Sporting winning the league after Bruno had gone, you realise that was COVID year right, where no spectators in the game, and you also realise that Sporting were in disarray a few months before with supporters protests and such like? Also they spent a fortune on a new manager, like a massive amount, which obviously helped. But context isn't important I guess.

I think it's pretty obvious that you and @zaafi have both had a bit of a mare in here over the last few days, you have had people flinging multiple metrics and stats around and the only comebacks have been incorrect stats or weird straw man arguements.

I think it's fair to say that multiple managers both at United and at International level rate Bruno, and really that's all that counts
, here's hoping they carry on rating Bruno as I dread to think where we'd be without him.
Who’s creating straw man arguments?

Someone said he is a match winner and history and stats show this…..So I went and looked how many times Bruno scored the winning goals, to add context. If the answer was 50 then I’m guessing you wouldn’t be opposed to that. So it’s the reality that you are opposed to.

You claimed Bruno was pivotal to Sporting winning multiple trophies, is it straw man to look into what those trophies were? And regards to pivotal, what happened to Sporting after he left? If United won the league in 20/21 and Bruno was ‘pivotal’ would you be saying yes but that was the covid season and it came a few months after the fans protested? Or would you be saying ‘he won us the league in 20/21’. Yet another ridiculous straw man since that season was a level playing field where everyone started and finished under the same conditions. Nobody puts an asterisk next to Man City’s name, but you want one against Sporting because it suits your agenda?

You then came back with a massive straw man which didn’t have anything to do with the discussion. You’d said Bruno was pivotal to Sporting winning multiple trophies. I looked at what those trophies were, and what happened after he left, to give context to his pivotal impact. You came back with Shearer and Kane? I have absolutely no idea why? They are individually unquestionable due to tangible stats like goals and assists and performance levels. They are/were proven match winners? Using two complete outliers to counter an argument on something unrelated is as strawman as it gets. In addition we don’t even know how spurs will cope without Kane yet? Then there’s Jonathan Greening thrown in for good measure.

This sentence is a favourite of mine…”trophies aren't really a benchmark for how good a player is, but you can't really say that Bruno is a letdown when he has won trophies in every club he has played for. Strange logic really.”

Basically what you’re suggesting here is don’t judge other players on what they have won, but judge Bruno on what he has won favourably. Strange logic indeed….backed up with incorrect facts :lol: ….can you tell me what Trophies Bruno won at Novvora, Udinese or Sampdoria?

The reality is that the only context that you want is context that is pro Bruno, and beyond chances created there isn’t really anything exceptional in his history. So then you want to ignore performances, goals, assists, match winning moments, trophies (except the few , sorry, multiple second rate trophies he’s won) etc etc.

Perhaps the best bit is the irony of calling someone’s argument of where Sporting were before and after Bruno as ‘Strawman’ before finishing your own post with

“multiple managers both at United and at International level rate Bruno, and really that's all that counts, here's hoping they carry on rating Bruno as I dread to think where we'd be without him

Yeah it’s me who’s had a mare :lol: