Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

CasaStreets

He really is a tremendous player

Deserves a lot more silverware than we’ve been able to give him

If he wants to see out his days here, I think we should oblige

That said, we need to out him in a system where his mandate isn’t oriented around long through balls to speed merchants

Last edited:

Ekeke

Another string to his bow in this recent run of matches playing as our most forward player, albeit with McTom as a partner

Last time we played City it was similar with them having all of the ball and he was very frustrating and looked very angry and frustrated out there. I said he doesnt have the mindset to play in those matches because he lost his cool. This time it was the opposite, he accepted this was going to happen and he was good with economic use of the small amount of the ball we got and meanwhile he ran around like a madman pressing and winning 5 tackles - the most of any player on the pitch and 2 interceptions on top of it. The personification of defending from the front in that FA cup final

AR87

feck me sideways... world class and outstanding... I guess my level of drama is certainly way below average for the crowd on here.
You've spent a lot of time after United winning a cup final crying about supporters of the club being ebulliant about one of our best performers on the day in this thread

You must be a blast at parties.

marktan

Captain. We'd be dogshite without him.

We need to rest and rotate him though. Way too much mileage in those legs.

criticalanalysis

It looks like he's maturing as a player and entering another phase in his career. A lot more mindful and considered. He's linking up in ways that are so much more constructive lately, picking and choosing his moments to attempt the killer ball. It makes him a harder player to plan for and gives hope he can adapt his game to a more intricate style.

Much prefer this iteration than bomb ball Bruno who gets so much adulation for numbers whilst all the turnovers are ignored. There's no need to gloss over anything with this version because he's doing the right thing so much more.

Will be very interesting to see how he plays at the Euros because he looks like a consummate player at the moment, which shines a better light on him with whole lot less things to criticise.
I think he's always been capable of this and showed it from the first moment he got here but over time, the tactics from Ole/ETH has basically given him carte blanche to do whatever he wants. Maybe it has to do with some self indulgence because he really cares about goals/assists (he literally says this in interviews) and it's also an issue of taking on too much responsibility, which in turns lead to over delivering as he knows that our game plan requires big hitting moments.

In open play, he has this really wonderful clutch awareness and audacity to take soft touches to change momentum and the time from which he can then make a pass.

His chop at 0:07 to play it back to Mainoo instead of the 'obvious' pass wide to Rashford is just one example of the things he's done so many times in small pockets of spaces that help massively with our buildup play, which we've really should have been seeing more of his time here. I'm not sure if it's in his game to be completely measured but I think our managers have to take a lot of responsibility for not reigning in his scattergun approach.

I've always thought his 'hold up' play and ability to keep the ball moving out of a press/tight situation was quite underrated but we just don't see it enough because of above reasons.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

You've spent a lot of time after United winning a cup final crying about supporters of the club being ebulliant about one of our best performers on the day in this thread

You've almost got to admire the consistency from the poster. He kicked into the mode of 'let's not get carried away' a few minutes after we lifted the trophy. When Fellaini got the assist for the equaliser in the 2016 cup final, I took a few days off telling everyone that Fellaini's playing style was holding us back. But each to their own.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
People say he plays even more a CM role for Portugal doesn't he? Long ball to Rafael Leao could replicate a pattern he sure knows from United.
I barely watch Portugal, tbh. Only in the majors themselves, so couldn't tell you what he's looked like for them in qualifiers and friendlies. I didn't realise how stacked the Portuguese team was until seeing their squad for the Euros. They really should be looking to go all the way, so there'll be ample time to see how Bruno plays.
Agree completely. He racked up numbers the past couple of months but even without them he was twice the player than he was for the first half of the season. The decision making and overall footballing IQ and willingness to "play" as opposed to just bomb everything into the box made such a difference. The level he played at in the run IS a world class player. I just want to see that player constantly because it completely changes the dynamic of how we can play going forward, instead of him being the reckless gunslinger that occassionally pops up.

I also think the forced rest from injury did him a world of good. I REALLY hope we rotate him going forward now that he'll be in his 30's. It's great that he's always fit, but it's also fecking stupid to just assume a player will always be at his best if you play him every game for 90+ minutes no matter what. Being able to sub him off/on/rest him occassionally would do a world of good for his sharpness when we really need him.
This has been the crux of all the back and forths between the factions regarding Bruno, but when he plays like he has been, there's not really much to say or argue about because it's what is the universal standard of top notch in the position, which, in turn, leads to universal praise. I suppose those satisified by numbers get their fix as equally as those looking for the standard of the football itself, so all camps can be happy.

But the Bruno who plays like he has been doing, is the player people want to exchange "Gunslinger" or "bomb boy" Bruno with, so it is a turn up for the books. Moving and harmonising with the team makes such a difference, but picking the moment to be the blade is a real skill and when a player is elevated to a different kind of regard and it's a display of real footballing IQ to have it in the locker and use it at the perfect time.

I don't know if it's the injury, or his age (he's hitting that age where he should be mastering the art of letting his smarts do more work for him than his body - you name the great creators, and it's around this age that they start to look sage like in their control of games), or maybe a time out aiding him to re-evaluate, but has been a very enjoyable watch, and definitely so since we've stopped with the basketball nonsense.

I think he's always been capable of this and showed it from the first moment he got here but over time, the tactics from Ole/ETH has basically given him carte blanche to do whatever he wants. Maybe it has to do with some self indulgence because he really cares about goals/assists (he literally says this in interviews) and it's also an issue of taking on too much responsibility, which in turns lead to over delivering as he knows that our game plan requires big hitting moments.

In open play, he has this really wonderful clutch awareness and audacity to take soft touches to change momentum and the time from which he can then make a pass.

His chop at 0:07 to play it back to Mainoo instead of the 'obvious' pass wide to Rashford is just one example of the things he's done so many times in small pockets of spaces that help massively with our buildup play, which we've really should have been seeing more of his time here. I'm not sure if it's in his game to be completely measured but I think our managers have to take a lot of responsibility for not reigning in his scattergun approach.

I've always thought his 'hold up' play and ability to keep the ball moving out of a press/tight situation was quite underrated but we just don't see it enough because of above reasons.
I really need to go to bed. Will give a reply later.

Andersons Dietician

Thought he was brilliant yesterday, actually these last few games I’d go as far as to say this is the best I’ve ever seen him play, he’s been measured, not as wasteful with the ball and making far better choices. The leadership he has shown over this last month has been absolutely brilliant. something just seems to have changed with him, hopefully He picks up next season where he left off because this is the attitude we need from him.

Someone on here said this about him a few weeks ago and I think it was perfect.

”he‘s not the Issue, buts he’s also not the solution”

This last few games seems like ETH found the solution. Play him as a false 9 and just let him go and be free.

Positionally he’s always been an issue for me in midfield as he just leaves it wide open and weakens us as well as his tendency to lose the ball there but having the extra bodies in there to protect it and just taking the positional responsibility away from him has made us just look better.

Do have to wonder how it will work next season and will he just go back to his old patterns when we inevitably put him back in midfield and play a striker but meh.

OldTrevil

Very good performance yesterday and that ball for the assist was top drawer. If he can keep up this level then I'll be as happy as anyone to have him in the team.

He's played very well for the last few games for sure and I can only hope whoever is manager next season gives him strict instructions if they play him in midfield. I still think his energy and drive can be a huge asset to the team, and one can be disciplined and still be creative, you just need to understand when and where to take risks.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐
I think that was one of his best performances this season.

A true captain’s performance.

NZT-One

There was no crying and there were quite a few people "celebrating" in here too. But thanks for your unwanted recognition and life advice strange person on the internet. Thanks for taking the time to help me and I hope it made you feel important.

You've almost got to admire the consistency from the poster. He kicked into the mode of 'let's not get carried away' a few minutes after we lifted the trophy. When Fellaini got the assist for the equaliser in the 2016 cup final, I took a few days off telling everyone that Fellaini's playing style was holding us back. But each to their own.
Some of you guys starting to get really boring. Again there are accusations for an agenda or something. People in here talked about Brunos performance, I did the same. But because I have the "wrong" opinion, I must be in here to "get into modes" and "tell people stuff". Weren't you the one bumping a thread about De Bruyne and how bad he is in big games? And you think, you need to teach me stuff about how "real fans" have to celebrate a trophy?

Maybe, if it bothers you so much, reading the "wrong" things, you should think about the ignore-function. I guess it is there for a reason. Then you can wax yourself about whether ETH maybe finally found the winning formula because the last 4 games were apparently so crazy good. If that is your conclusion after having not even a third of the ball yesterday, seeing Brighton and Newcastle creating enough chances to score 8 or 9 times and losing deservedly to Arsenal, then go for it.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He's a difference maker. He's a really frustrating player when things aren't going well and/or aren't coming off for him, but he will always see and try to play the ball no one else can, and is good enough to pull it off.

That's something very few players have once you get to the top level and I think a lot of our fans either forget or don't realise that. Or he's just been in the United set up long enough that people take it for granted and start paying more attention to the times it doesn't come off.

I think he could easily play in a title winning side and still be a key player, and we have had very few players post Ferguson who you could apply that to over the course of more than one season. Possibly just him. Others have done it for one season, or the odd season here and there, but he's the only one where even in a bad season he's giving the team something no one else really can.

pascell

This angle. :drool:

I don't think we can afford to sell him, yes he is frustrating to watch in possession and his gesticulating to the ref but his output cannot be replaced. 5 big chances created yesterday, which was more than I think de Bruyne, Bernardo Silva and Foden put together. Who in world football that is attainable would replace those numbers?

Leão

Supports
Sporting Clube Farense
My Captain!

Best Man United player since Fergie and is not even close. Tremendous performance in the cup final, reminding me when he carried a weak Sporting CP team to win the Portuguese Cup back in 2019.

Last edited:

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Some of you guys starting to get really boring. Again there are accusations for an agenda or something. People in here talked about Brunos performance, I did the same. But because I have the "wrong" opinion, I must be in here to "get into modes" and "tell people stuff". Weren't you the one bumping a thread about De Bruyne and how bad he is in big games? And you think, you need to teach me stuff about how "real fans" have to celebrate a trophy?

Maybe, if it bothers you so much, reading the "wrong" things, you should think about the ignore-function. I guess it is there for a reason. Then you can wax yourself about whether ETH maybe finally found the winning formula because the last 4 games were apparently so crazy good. If that is your conclusion after having not even a third of the ball yesterday, seeing Brighton and Newcastle creating enough chances to score 8 or 9 times and losing deservedly to Arsenal, then go for it.
People celebrate trophy wins in different ways. You're well within your rights to tell others that some of their praise towards one of our best performers is over-the-top. I would never say you're not a "real fan" for doing that. I just think that if us fans can't give Bruno his flowers after a win like yesterday, then when can we?! Everything about yesterday felt brilliant, so I guess I was naively hoping to read nothing but positive comments about our best players. But as I said my previous post: each to their own.

What on earth is all that waffle in the last paragraph about? I have made no suggestions that Ten Hag has found the right formula recently. Those aren't my views and even it they were, it would be completely unrelated to the discussions around Bruno.

Sylar

You know what really helped? Those two games he missed V arsenal and palace (iirc)

He came back refreshed. Granted we lost both games with him out but that's a squad issue. Him being out for a week or two was great for him to refresh and basically go back to factory settings.

Yesterday was great because aside from that last minute half way line attempt, his passing and keeping the ball was great. His workrate remained and his assist was sublime

Alemar

15G+13A as his return for the season. Not the best numbers for him, but by far the best of the lot this year.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I've been a big critic, and even though I've already posted in here about good he was yesterday, I also have to say that, when thinking about it, for me, that was probably his best performance ever. Well, for us!

Did anyone clock Bruno seeking out Sir Alex and waiting to shake his hand before picking up the trophy? So respectful.

Guys a legend and one of the few that gets it.
If anyone has a clip of this that would be great!
Keane's me :D

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Bruno embodies what it means to be a United player. Hope we can win something else before his time here is up. Should absolutely be listed among the historical greats of the club imho. Just the amount of minutes he s put in is insane. His post game interview yesterday was one of a true captain.

jem

I'm sure it's already been brought up, but what about continuing with him in this role and maintaining the 3-man midfield (with upgrades to McTominay and Amrabat)? That way, Rasmus could continue being used in a more gradual way and we could save some serious money by not buying an expensive striker (and that money could be put towards a top-class replacement for either McTominay or Amrabat.)

NZT-One

I'm sure it's already been brought up, but what about continuing with him in this role and maintaining the 3-man midfield (with upgrades to McTominay and Amrabat)? That way, Rasmus could continue being used in a more gradual way and we could save some serious money by not buying an expensive striker (and that money could be put towards a top-class replacement for either McTominay or Amrabat.)
Two reasons:
a) City didn't lose today because they couldn't contain our firepower and great positioning. They lost because they apparently didn't expect us to play as deep as we did and weren't equipped with a plan to overcome that.
b) Bruno would get the same treatment as many "false 9", opponents would cut passing lanes towards him and given that he is neither fast, nor strong, nor strong on the ball he probably wouldn't see much of the ball, would be frustrated after 14 minutes and throw tantrums after 25. As an option, it works. As a default, bad idea.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
We still need a striker, starting next season with 1 striker and an academy player would be madness

NZT-One

People celebrate trophy wins in different ways. You're well within your rights to tell others that some of their praise towards one of our best performers is over-the-top. I would never say you're not a "real fan" for doing that. I just think that if us fans can't give Bruno his flowers after a win like yesterday, then when can we?! Everything about yesterday felt brilliant, so I guess I was naively hoping to read nothing but positive comments about our best players. But as I said my previous post: each to their own.
Fair points. Can only reiterate - I didn't criticize him. When it felt like that then just because my praise felt wrong to you because it wasn't big enough. And obviously: everybody should give him flowers. Give him your car or house if you feel it is warranted, my opinion is just that - an opinion among many. And to stick to your picture - I haven't reacted to him getting flowers. I reacted to people preparing to build temples and sacrificing farm animals.

Sorry if that killed the mood - I am not always proud of my contribution to this thread. But, on a cooperative note: I am sure you know the feeling, when Bruno gets criticized too harshly and you really feel the need to add some perspective to it. Thats me yesterday. We're all sinners...

What on earth is all that waffle in the last paragraph about? I have made no suggestions that Ten Hag has found the right formula recently. Those aren't my views and even it they were, it would be completely unrelated to the discussions around Bruno.
I apologize. Reading some posts created that impression, good chance that I directed it towards you even when you weren't saying those things.

Ludens the Red

He’s ended the season really well. And has been a real good leader. When be cuts out the hysterics and doesn’t get overly emotional there’s a top player in there obviously.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Fair points. Can only reiterate - I didn't criticize him. When it felt like that then just because my praise felt wrong to you because it wasn't big enough. And obviously: everybody should give him flowers. Give him your car or house if you feel it is warranted, my opinion is just that - an opinion among many. And to stick to your picture - I haven't reacted to him getting flowers. I reacted to people preparing to build temples and sacrificing farm animals.

Sorry if that killed the mood - I am not always proud of my contribution to this thread. But, on a cooperative note: I am sure you know the feeling, when Bruno gets criticized too harshly and you really feel the need to add some perspective to it. Thats me yesterday. We're all sinners...

I apologize. Reading some posts created that impression, good chance that I directed it towards you even when you weren't saying those things.
No worries at all. Saturday was an emotional day for all of us. I understand the impulse to provide perspective after any result. I just wasn't willing to jump off cloud nine for at least 24 hours.

Eli Zee

Like De Gea, he would be a United legend if other teammates were on his level. We'd have won far more silverware if not for being a shit team the last decade.

SSSSnake

A lot of people on the Cafe were so critical of him and wanting him shipped out. He is the only world class player in our team and I’m glad these people are eating humble pie served by the Portuguese magifico!

SoCross

Mate, that pass :drool:

Rewatched that goal several times now. The bloody awareness and that finish!

AndyMUFC

That pass was an absolute thing of beauty.

I do like him in this role, because it allows him to stay forward and press from the front with us looking much more solid with three proper midfielders behind him. Obviously every game is different though, and against a low block you'd probably want a different style.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Not a fan of him as a player but he has been quite good since returning from injury. He's turning 30 in September with two years on his contract, either we sign him to a new contract (and i assume he will want parity with the highest paid players) or we sell and try and make a good profit. Not that I see anyone coming in for him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

One of my favourite pictures from the FA Cup final. Pep's face says absolutely everything.

In a book of phrases you could put this photo next to the words: 'A picture is worth a 1000 words.'

OverratedOpinion

Not a fan of him as a player but he has been quite good since returning from injury. He's turning 30 in September with two years on his contract, either we sign him to a new contract (and i assume he will want parity with the highest paid players) or we sell and try and make a good profit. Not that I see anyone coming in for him.
He is literally the best player at our club by a substantial distance.

Getting rid of by far your best player sounds like a bad idea at the best of times let alone when there are a load of issues in the squad.