g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

klayton88

Wasn't the worst out there tonight but he is a band average player. Wouldn't get near a decent sides starting 11. He's going to be a problem for a while.

ROFLUTION

Keane’s comments was premature imo about him not being the frontman and a leader. Clearly he’s one of the guys who cares and have skills. You can see it better when you watch from the stands. Seeks the ball, doesnt shy away like others would do.

These kind of comments from Keane are so easy to make as an ex-footballer to make yourself look the big leader, but they really are terrible and do the opposit of benefitting our team. Even if his comments were true, they’d do nothing good for the team but to add pressure and an atmosphere of crisis.

united for life

Wasn't the worst out there tonight but he is a band average player. Wouldn't get near a decent sides starting 11. He's going to be a problem for a while.
this United does that to players. Everyone drops to average the moment they join us. Bruno is not average, he is a good player. Put him in a properly functioning team and play him regularly in his position, he’ll do well. At united they all struggle

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
As long as we believe in playing him every week the way he is playing, we will conceede stupid goals because we cant control our games. People can talk about lack of luck receiving those penalties, but those penalties don't happen to teams that control the ball higher up the pitch.

gajender

As long as we believe in playing him every week the way he is playing, we will conceede stupid goals because we cant control our games. People can talk about lack of luck receiving those penalties, but those penalties don't happen to teams that control the ball higher up the pitch.
One of the first Question while Interviewing candidates for United's head coach position should be how would they Utilise Fernandes and Rashford going forward , anybody who answers anything other than ideally they like to move them on but if they couldn't they won't be more than Squad option for them should not even be considered for the Job .

arnie_ni

Actually thought he was at fault for their first. He was standing watching rashfords man run in unchallenged back post for the cut back.

Why didn't he just drop in and play 4 4 1 and track the runner to get us into half fime?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Mental that this guy is getting praised for a poor pass and a ‘pass’. Rewatch their first goal, an abysmal lack of effort to cover the player who runs to the back post and crosses to the goal scorer. That was a key moment. Then at 3-2 wtf was that pass. That’s game over at that point if Bruno doesn’t spoon it.

PeteRae

Keane’s comments was premature imo about him not being the frontman and a leader. Clearly he’s one of the guys who cares and have skills. You can see it better when you watch from the stands. Seeks the ball, doesnt shy away like others would do.

These kind of comments from Keane are so easy to make as an ex-footballer to make yourself look the big leader, but they really are terrible and do the opposit of benefitting our team. Even if his comments were true, they’d do nothing good for the team but to add pressure and an atmosphere of crisis.
Yeh what does Utd’s best captain from the past 30 years, multiple premier league title and a champions league winner know.

ROFLUTION

Yeh what does Utd’s best captain from the past 30 years, multiple premier league title and a champions league winner know.
Not much if you take into account the many stupid statements he’s come out with over the years.

Sylar

Actually thought he was at fault for their first. He was standing watching rashfords man run in unchallenged back post for the cut back.

Why didn't he just drop in and play 4 4 1 and track the runner to get us into half fime?
Thisis a running theme through our team. It was like v Gala at home. We have a sending off, and instead of consolidating, dropping into positions for about 5-10 minutes and kill any momentum the opposition have by making it difficult, they act like there is no sending off, and just continue trying to play the same which leaves gaps.
Its annoying and its why we seem to always concede so quickly after a sending off. Theres no organisational elements, and you add that with the hot potato style we use which means unable to string together 6-7 quick passes to make the opposition drop a little themselves. Frustrating stuff.

Oldyella

He's there as a pundit to say what he thinks, not worry about adding any pressure. And tbh, if Bruno feels pressure because of pundit comments he's not fit for the job anyway(which he isnt)

tomaldinho1

He is at fault but then it's also not really a role he knows well so you have to be somewhat lenient. It's like when teams used to target that exact cross when greenwood was our RW and never tracked back (there was the Brighton game they hit the woodwork like 4 times or something) and yet you'd constantly see posters on here blaming AWB for poor positioning. Like, watch their first goal and explain the reality where AWB doesn't follow his man (it's the guy who ends up offside for the goal) so Bruno has to make up that ground in an ideal world.

I thought it was probably his best game this season until the red card, shame we couldn't just have one easy win to settle things a bit.

ROFLUTION

He's there as a pundit to say what he thinks, not worry about adding any pressure. And tbh, if Bruno feels pressure because of pundit comments he's not fit for the job anyway(which he isnt)
You cant deny that it adds pressure. Just like it did under LVG and Mourinho where the class of 92 tore every player apart in the studio every week. When Ole came they started easing, knewing they had an impact on scaling up the crisis at the club.

If Keane really supports us then I’d hoped he was more aware of what pressure his comments make.

youngrell

Started the game very brightly, was finding pockets of space with ease and played some nice passes to set us on our way. Seemed to be focussed and sharp.

But, went to pot a bit after the red, which is not entirely his fault. Thought it was one game where he should've been subbed towards to the end of the game as he was still trying to look for a 4th instead of protecting the slim lead.

It's a shame we didn't play out the game in the manner we started the second half, where ball retention was very good.

GazTheLegend

He was fantastic yesterday until Rashford was sent off, his head dropped a bit second half but I think it would be incredibly harsh to blame him for our losing the plot a bit after those terrible decisions. Was a great penalty too. That said, he must be wondering what more he can do to pull us through, captaining Manchester United right now can't be good for your blood pressure.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He was fantastic yesterday until Rashford was sent off, his head dropped a bit second half but I think it would be incredibly harsh to blame him for our losing the plot a bit after those terrible decisions. Was a great penalty too. That said, he must be wondering what more he can do to pull us through, captaining Manchester United right now can't be good for your blood pressure.
Er…perhaps he could play well? (Fantastic yesterday? Really) track the runner for their first goal? Play a better pass to McT at 3-2? Keep the ball better generally? I mean we’re hardly watching Roy Keane, Cantona or Robbo levels are we? Just him playing well for 90 minutes would be something.

zaafi

The standards are at an all-time low when you have fans who believe that was a fantastic performance. It was a good performance up until the red card. He had some awful moments and some good ones, but praising him for a completely nornal pass that any PL midfielder should make is a huge reach.

After the red card, he showed why he shouldn't be captain of this team.

FerociousCorgis

the captain should be able to rally his team to get into half at least to regroup. Instead yet again we just fuccking capitulate immediately and dont even make it into half with the lead.

zaafi

@Jeppers7 @zaafi did you watch the game at all? Or just the goals?
I watched the full game, and like I said, I thought it was a good performance up until the red card. I'm curious as to how you think that's a fantastic performance. Example of a fantastic performance is Keane vs Juventus, not this chaotic display that we witnessed yesterday.

hobbers

Copenhagen is literally Bruno's level.

His best performances are always against middling Europa/Conference league standard teams.

GazTheLegend

I watched the full game, and like I said, I thought it was a good performance up until the red card. I'm curious as to how you think that's a fantastic performance. Example of a fantastic performance is Keane vs Juventus, not this chaotic display that we witnessed yesterday.
I'm asking because I deliberately scrutinised Bruno Fernandes all game in part because I'm wondering if I'm missing something that you guys are seeing that I don't about him, it's sad but I was trying to understand what exactly he does that people can hate him as a player as much as they do and put as much blame on him as I see in this thread. But despite my scrutiny I don't think he misplaced a single pass until the second half and he won the ball back - often high up in dangerous areas - and always made the right decision. He was just always moving the ball forward and pretty much always made the right choice. So it's hard for me to rationalise what I see on the pitch with what other people see. Because what I saw was a player trying his absolute best, a level above anyone else on the pitch (which he should be - it's Copenhagen.). But let down by other things, be they officials or teammates. Which is sort of what I feel his season his been.

There's an argument there that as captain he should be rallying people onward because his body language doesn't help - he looks so defeated these days after games but it's hard to blame him, I think most United fans will feel the same. Awful season for the club, but don't personally blame Bruno Fernandes. Clearly a class player.

zaafi

I'm asking because I deliberately scrutinised Bruno Fernandes all game in part because I'm wondering if I'm missing something that you guys are seeing that I don't about him, it's sad but I was trying to understand what exactly he does that people can hate him as a player as much as they do and put as much blame on him as I see in this thread. But despite my scrutiny I don't think he misplaced a single pass until the second half and he won the ball back - often high up in dangerous areas - and always made the right decision. He was just always moving the ball forward and pretty much always made the right choice. So it's hard for me to rationalise what I see on the pitch with what other people see. Because what I saw was a player trying his absolute best, a level above anyone else on the pitch (which he should be - it's Copenhagen.). But let down by other things, be they officials or teammates. Which is sort of what I feel his season his been.

There's an argument there that as captain he should be rallying people onward because his body language doesn't help - he looks so defeated these days after games but it's hard to blame him, I think most United fans will feel the same. Awful season for the club, but don't personally blame Bruno Fernandes. Clearly a class player.
It has to be said that Copenhagen is a poor side. It should be the absolute minimum requirement for Bruno and the rest of our players to perform well against these kind of teams. They were very easy to play against and were there for the taking until Rashford was sent off, and our team just collapsed, which just shows weak and fragile mentality from our players.

I specifically remember one moment early in the first half when we were given a counter attack opportunity, and Bruno tried to play the ball to Garnacho on the left - which was a fairly easy pass to make - but gave the ball to the Copenhagen defender instead and wasting a good opportunity. I don't really recall if he missed another pass in the first half, but with a 67% pass completion rate, surely he must have. As for your claim that he won the ball back up often, that's just not true. He did a couple times, and he only won two (!) out of 10 duels.

I think that the pressure is too much for him. Don't get me wrong, he can still come up with great moments or even match-winning goals or an assist, but ultimately, where we should aim to be far exceeds his level both ability wise and mentality wise. Yesterday, he lost the ball 22 times. Against Copenhagen. With a chaotic defense like ours, do you think that's a very intelligent approach by Bruno when it provides counter attacking and goal scoring opportunities for the opposition many times throughout the game?

Valencia Shin Crosses

Go back and watch his compilations from Fulham or games before that and you'll understand better. I already said yesterday that he was decent. Not outstanding but not poor either.

But in general, those of us who are pretty fed up with him mainly feel that way because there are core elements of his game that don't seem translatable to a team looking to compete against the very best. He's a brilliant solo creator but struggles to operate within the framework of a cohesive side if he's not given that free license central role, and he's such a poor dribbler that it costs us against teams with great team presses as he's very easy to dispossess and doesn't have much pace or power off the ball. So what you get with Bruno (even when he's on it) is a somewhat stationary advanced playmaker that lacks efficiency with his actions, which is a very difficult player to build around with how football is played now. However, because of his gaudy stats it's also hard to justify dropping/selling for many people, and thus you get the war that goes on in this thread between those of us that would like to see a midfield not so dependent on one flawed genius, and those that see Bruno as the source of almost anything good that we've done since he's came into the club.

LARulz

Copenhagen is literally Bruno's level.

His best performances are always against middling Europa/Conference league standard teams.
It was cos he played in the middle high up where he should be. Not originally doing a job of 2 people or being haunted to the wing

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
Mental that this guy is getting praised for a poor pass and a ‘pass’. Rewatch their first goal, an abysmal lack of effort to cover the player who runs to the back post and crosses to the goal scorer. That was a key moment. Then at 3-2 wtf was that pass. That’s game over at that point if Bruno doesn’t spoon it.
We scored 3 goals away from home, Bruno was involved in all of them, and you feel obliged to create some false narrative that he threw the game... a game where one player was wrongly sent off, a phantom penalty given against and an offside goal not overturned... as well as some red card candidates from the opposition players.

Once again I find myself calling out your bollocks, it's tiring... the part in bold is simply not true. It was their AM who provided the assist and ran from a central position.

The phase starts with Bruno pressing the CB and LB as a RW within a 4-2-3 shape, before play is switched to our left. You can actually see that McTominay is picking him up but drops him just before the ball comes in to defend the cutback zone. If we're being critical, we were in a 7 vs 5 situation at the moment before the ball comes in but made hard work of the scenario: Dalot is offering nothing, he's not defending a zone, he's not marking a player, he's not stopping the cross. Minor additional points but Eriksen is on the wrong side of his runner, Garnacho is late to react to the threat and McTominay probably could've recognised we had numerical advantage towards the front post and stuck with his man (but there'd still be a space at the edge of the area).

If you feel obliged to make somebody accountable for the goal, fine, but don't make shit up and just accredit it to the player you like the least. It's lazy posting, though you do have a proven track record of making things up then moving the goalposts when somebody calls you out for it.

Lyng

He had a great game until the entire team collapsed. Really harsh to blame him for the massive blunders in defence.
I have been very critical of Bruno this season, and rightly so. But this was his best match all season and the Bruno we saw before the whole team imploded and the ref decided to make it all about himself, was exactly the Bruno I want to see.
I think its clear he needs to play as a 10 and not anywhere else.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
We scored 3 goals away from home, Bruno was involved in all of them, and you feel obliged to create some false narrative that he threw the game... a game where one player was wrongly sent off, a phantom penalty given against and an offside goal not overturned... as well as some red card candidates from the opposition players.

Once again I find myself calling out your bollocks, it's tiring... the part in bold is simply not true. It was their AM who provided the assist and ran from a central position.

The phase starts with Bruno pressing the CB and LB as a RW within a 4-2-3 shape, before play is switched to our left. You can actually see that McTominay is picking him up but drops him just before the ball comes in to defend the cutback zone. If we're being critical, we were in a 7 vs 5 situation at the moment before the ball comes in but made hard work of the scenario: Dalot is offering nothing, he's not defending a zone, he's not marking a player, he's not stopping the cross. Minor additional points but Eriksen is on the wrong side of his runner, Garnacho is late to react to the threat and McTominay probably could've recognised we had numerical advantage towards the front post and stuck with his man (but there'd still be a space at the edge of the area).

If you feel obliged to make somebody accountable for the goal, fine, but don't make shit up and just accredit it to the player you like the least. It's lazy posting, though you do have a proven track record of making things up then moving the goalposts when somebody calls you out for it.
So last time you did this I asked you to back it up with evidence. You didn’t. Can you please provide me with evidence of this so that I can see what you’re referring to and whether I need to back up my point or apologise if I’ve missed something.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia

To address your post….

1. A normal level of credit needs to be given for a not great pass that Rashford needs to control brilliantly before the play progresses and leads to a goal three passes later.

2. A normal level of credit needs to be given to a regulation pass in the build up to the second goal

3. Another ‘phantom penalty’ you seem to forget applying that. Brilliantly converted by Bruno. Cancelled out their phantom pen.

As for criticism there are a few of you on here who simply can’t accept any. If you don’t want to hold players accountable for looking at someone 5 yards away from them and doing nothing while they run untracked to the back post and Bruno is marking nobody…we’ll id suggest that you deserve to see us where we are currently. No accountability will do that. Nobody but Bruno was in a position to track that run and he didn’t. Who cares what was happening 30 seconds before. Football is fluid. You track the runner.

You probably think the ballsed up pass was McTs fault.

Bruno played quite well up until the sending off but it doesn’t matter. Because when it mattered he cost us in some big moments. We should be beating Gothenburg 2-0 with 11 men and we should be getting in at halftime at 2-0 if we adapt and players track runners. We should have been 4-2 up if a better/decent pass was made.

But you do you. I could attack your ridiculous notion utter bollocks that Bruno has had a good season.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Feeling the pressure of being the captain maybe? Feel sorry for him at the moment, he's getting it from all angles.

I think it's just a realisation that things are very bleak at this club, yet again.

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Feeling the pressure of being the captain maybe? Feel sorry for him at the moment, he's getting it from all angles.

Possibly the only player in the team I feel sorry for. His passion and effort is clear as day.

What's maybe even sadder is that you can compile a very long list of worse players with multiple big trophies, but Bruno might genuinely retire with none. And because he plays in such a dark time for United, people will very quickly forget all his effort. Just look how quickly some people turned on De Gea! He was 5 (?) times POTY and PL team of the season but some United supporters barely view him as a footnote in the club's history.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Possibly the only player in the team I feel sorry for. His passion and effort is clear as day.

What's maybe even sadder is that you can compile a very long list of worse players with multiple big trophies, but Bruno might genuinely retire with none. And because he plays in such a dark time for United, people will very quickly forget all his effort. Just look how quickly some people turned on De Gea! He was 5 (?) times POTY and PL team of the season but some United supporters barely view him as a footnote in the club's history.

Winrar

Yeah, I feel sorry for him.

But then what? Is he gonna use this as a motivator to turn this season around? Given how many false dawns we’ve had over the years can you really blame me for being skeptical that we won’t?

crossy1686

career ending

But then what? Is he gonna use this as a motivator to turn this season around? Given how many false dawns we’ve had over the years can you really blame me for being skeptical that we won’t?
I think the accurate emotion in this situation is just empathy for someone going through a difficult time when they're really trying their best under the circumstances.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.

I think that's why he looks so despondent, he knows no matter what we do, this aint going to change.

VivaObertan

Transfer Voyeur
To address your post….

1. A normal level of credit needs to be given for a not great pass that Rashford needs to control brilliantly before the play progresses and leads to a goal three passes later.

2. A normal level of credit needs to be given to a regulation pass in the build up to the second goal

3. Another ‘phantom penalty’ you seem to forget applying that. Brilliantly converted by Bruno. Cancelled out their phantom pen.

As for criticism there are a few of you on here who simply can’t accept any. If you don’t want to hold players accountable for looking at someone 5 yards away from them and doing nothing while they run untracked to the back post and Bruno is marking nobody…we’ll id suggest that you deserve to see us where we are currently. No accountability will do that. Nobody but Bruno was in a position to track that run and he didn’t. Who cares what was happening 30 seconds before. Football is fluid. You track the runner.

You probably think the ballsed up pass was McTs fault.

Bruno played quite well up until the sending off but it doesn’t matter. Because when it mattered he cost us in some big moments. We should be beating Gothenburg 2-0 with 11 men and we should be getting in at halftime at 2-0 if we adapt and players track runners. We should have been 4-2 up if a better/decent pass was made.

But you do you. I could attack your ridiculous notion utter bollocks that Bruno has had a good season.
If you're unable to objectively review the 1st goal and see anything except Bruno being the reason they scored, then maybe football isn't for you. I broke down the entire phase of play and highlighted where players could've done better in each moment leading up to the goal. Bruno (and Hojlund) were not part of our defensive structure in the scenario because of how, where and at what velocity the ball progressed.

If you're unable to objectively review the overall game and see anything except Bruno being the reason we didn't win, then maybe football isn't for you.