g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Bruno Fernandes image 8

Bruno Fernandes Portugal flag

2023-24 Performances

View full 2023-24 profile

5.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can only imagine a world in which Redcafe somehow existed in the time of Eric Cantona, and that people would somehow wander online, furiously claiming how bad he was and how much we needed David Hirst instead or something. But all I can remember is one time being on teletext and seeing someone circa 1996 or so demanding we replace Ryan Giggs with the FAR more effective Jason Wilcox who simply did his job and got the ball into the box. Fortunately for us, we didn't. Essentially, I hate you and I hate absolutely every single one of our fans at this point who would rather complain about an absolutely world class goal than enjoy it.
Take your post of the day award.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I don’t like him out wide that much, but I think it’s better than him being deeper in midfield. He scored a great goal today and the higher we put him up the pitch the more dangerous he can be for us, especially when he has players like Hannibal and Hojlund to press with him.

York

Homerun hitters don't usually have a high batting average.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Its bizarre. Especially as he was playing as an inside right. How many inside forwards have really, really high pass success rates?

He wasn't getting on the ball regularly and, when he was, he was trying to make things happen (as he should).

We won the game thanks to Bruno scoring a goal that few players in our squad could, from a position that he obviously doesn't love and tends to be marginalised in.

Still some are unhappy. :lol:
He should learn to enjoy that position quick because it the position that suits what he brings to this team. With another set of players he can do his thing elsewhere but this team can’t afford to have him in areas of detriment.
I always enjoy his performances out wide unfortunately for me he doesn’t.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think there could be something in this RW experiment. He of course won’t go past any left backs, although neither will Antony. In that position, I have a lot more time for any arguments centred solely around goals/assists. And I’d back Bruno to post higher numbers than Antony if they both spent a season on the right.

With Rashford and Hojlund reliant upon speed, and Rashford in particular being slow to deliver the ball or make right decisions - I think having a player who will likely whip the ball in first time more often than not on the right and would be happy squaring it to a player in a better position could be beneficial. Of course, it’s not the most ideal solution, and there will be many attacks ruined where we would be saying ‘if only we had someone with more lace, he’d be in’ - but as a band aid it could work. Happy to try Pellistri there too as he’s similarly a crosser but with more dynamism.

It also allows us to get greater control in the middle by bringing in an additional midfielder, with Bruno also coming inside to help.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Forget the goal because everyone knows it was a pitch.

Thought his game contribution was understated but massive both defensively and as an outlet. Hope the exemplary level of discipline and nous shown in the higher spaces appreciated more.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I think there could be something in this RW experiment. He of course won’t go past any left backs, although neither will Antony. In that position, I have a lot more time for any arguments centred solely around goals/assists. And I’d back Bruno to post higher numbers than Antony if they both spent a season on the right.

With Rashford and Hojlund reliant upon speed, and Rashford in particular being slow to deliver the ball or make right decisions - I think having a player who will likely whip the ball in first time more often than not on the right and would be happy squaring it to a player in a better position could be beneficial. Of course, it’s not the most ideal solution, and there will be many attacks ruined where we would be saying ‘if only we had someone with more lace, he’d be in’ - but as a band aid it could work. Happy to try Pellistri there too as he’s similarly a crosser but with more dynamism.

It also allows us to get greater control in the middle by bringing in an additional midfielder, with Bruno also coming inside to help.
I seem to remember Eriksen being really effective in that role for Spurs when they had Dele Ali at 10 and Son on the left. I think we can do something similar with Mount at 10. They can easily switch too.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I seem to remember Eriksen being really effective in that role for Spurs when they had Dele Ali at 10 and Son on the left. I think we can do something similar with Mount at 10. They can easily switch too.
You would ideally have some pace but the more I watch Rashford and Hojlund, the more I feel that some of these qualities are what our attack needs most now. Just consistent ‘service’. Rashford’s decision making is awful, and Antony is not much better. Neither provide any service, but Rashford can at least get on the end of service.

If Bruno plays right and gets a high volume of dangerous balls into the box or in behind, it would help no end. I also think we have midfield options that offer better qualities in that area than Bruno, and it is less harmful to have a winger just constantly looking to put the ball in behind than a midfielder.

I think Mount would be in the team anyway, so it would allow a third midfielder in Amrabat or Hannibal, which would theoretically give us a good base in terms of possession and physicality in the centre.

NZT-One

You would ideally have some pace but the more I watch Rashford and Hojlund, the more I feel that some of these qualities are what our attack needs most now. Just consistent ‘service’. Rashford’s decision making is awful, and Antony is not much better. Neither provide any service, but Rashford can at least get on the end of service.

If Bruno plays right and gets a high volume of dangerous balls into the box or in behind, it would help no end. I also think we have midfield options that offer better qualities in that area than Bruno, and it is less harmful to have a winger just constantly looking to put the ball in behind than a midfielder.

I think Mount would be in the team anyway, so it would allow a third midfielder in Amrabat or Hannibal, which would theoretically give us a good base in terms of possession and physicality in the centre.
I agree. Think he or Mount should be played on the right because it a) puts them in the forward group and b) could have us move back to a more familiar formation. Don't really like this diamond thing, we absolutely don't have the players for as we can not make use of its strength but suffer heavily from the disadvantages.

I think, this game shows, how different people look back on games. We won through a great goal by our captain, happy life, who cares about the rest. We got a hard fought scrappy win against a not so great Burnley team that mostly matched us in a game, most will have forgotten by tomorrow morning. Bruno scored a brilliant goal but it didn't really change much on the grand scheme of things and none of the criticism is rendered invalid by it. It is not negativity or an agenda to point that out. Otherwise it would be an agenda when he gets defended after a bad performance as well.
Some posters in here felt the need to complain about the moaners (when the moaning was about that tweet from that Stats twat) even when the players critics where among the first to single him out for his great goal today. There was even talk of hate towards critics... Only shows that some on here are mostly around this thread for the conflict because the only thing that this will make sure is, that we will have doom and gloom after the next bad performance where the other side will want to feel vindicated...

I blame Statman Dave with his BS tweets

OldTrevil

Well taken goal and to be fair, majority of the time he didnt shirk the defensive responsibilities for the wing . I don't know if he can be coached into having positional discipline and sense required for the 10 position, if not I would keep playing him on the wing and only move him central against cannon fodder.

caid

I'm partial to the idea but i think the full back behind could be important and im not sure it'll suit wan bisakka (or maybe it'll be ideal for him giving a bit of pace on the overlap?). I'm not sure throwing every midfielder we have on the pitch for 90 minutes every week is a great plan either. Though maybe Hannibal and Mainoo will surprise me in terms of providing cover. I think it'll be one option among many. I can see Bruno changing position a couple of times a match to be honest.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I often wonder how Bruno would fit in to our 99 side. In many ways, it's unfortunate he isn't surrounded by the quality we used to have.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I often wonder how Bruno would fit in to our 99 side. In many ways, it's unfortunate he isn't surrounded by the quality we used to have.
He’d probably have to play as a striker or RW. Obviously it would be a downgrade but there’s no shame in that. The past team I can see him fit in most is the 4411 instead of Rooney.

caid

I'd say yorke is the most natural trade from 99. He reminds me of Cantona

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Definitely more hope in it having an actual target to play with in there like Hojlund, without that I don't think it could work (and why it didn't before). But yeah keeping him in the front 3 suppresses the ball losses (he has 55% pass accuracy, but pretty much every pass was trying to be a killer ball so whatever) and lets him just interact with the front 2.

Also in big games, keeps him away from being pressed out of the game in the middle.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I can only imagine a world in which Redcafe somehow existed in the time of Eric Cantona, and that people would somehow wander online, furiously claiming how bad he was and how much we needed David Hirst instead or something. But all I can remember is one time being on teletext and seeing someone circa 1996 or so demanding we replace Ryan Giggs with the FAR more effective Jason Wilcox who simply did his job and got the ball into the box. Fortunately for us, we didn't. Essentially, I hate you and I hate absolutely every single one of our fans at this point who would rather complain about an absolutely world class goal than enjoy it.
Why would anyone say Cantona was bad? Or are you making a comparison with Bruno?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He’d struggle as where is he playing in a 442? He isn’t getting in the 4 and we then had 4 great strikers. He’d be back up to Scholes at best and that would be a complete change of what each player brought to the team. He could be Yorke’s replacement but Sheringham was better at that role.

M Bison

Supports
York City
one of my fave posts ever, love it.

Strelok

Absolute Legend :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The more I think about it, I can definitely see some upside to him on the right. Could actually be a more suited role than the centre. For me, it’s always about the unit and how the pieces best connect with each other. His limitations could even be a positive in some ways. He can’t hold the ball for very long without losing it, certainly unless there is no pressure. This has detrimental effects in the middle, but out wide - it would likely lead to him just constantly looking to deliver dangerous balls. Similarly to Beckham, his inability to go past anyone meant he was trying to get a cross off as soon as he could, and more often than not. In the final third, from the wing - that is a very different proposition than the centre of the field. Let those in the centre have the job of constantly working the ball out to Bruno in those areas

With Hojlund and Rashford, that’s the type of service they need. And that’s what it’s about, constructing a team whose parts compliment each other most. Just buying a player because he plays in a position is basic, you need to look at qualities and how they compliment what you have. I have no idea how Antony fits into any wider team strategy. He is not a transition forward like Rashford. He’s not direct, he’s not a player Bruno releases from the centre. Not a player for the ‘transition football’ Ten Hag apparently wants to play. Nor is he a crosser to provide for Hojlund or others. He’s just a ‘right winger’, bought because we need one of those, and doesn’t fit into a wider unit and enhance those around him. This is part of why I am critical of Ten Hag. I can’t see how he’s trying to build a high level unit that becomes better when the parts are put together.

NZT-One

The more I think about it, I can definitely see some upside to him on the right. Could actually be a more suited role than the centre. For me, it’s always about the unit and how the pieces best connect with each other. His limitations could even be a positive in some ways. He can’t hold the ball for very long without losing it, certainly unless there is no pressure. This has detrimental effects in the middle, but out wide - it would likely lead to him just constantly looking to deliver dangerous balls. Similarly to Beckham, his inability to go past anyone meant he was trying to get a cross off as soon as he could, and more often than not. In the final third, from the wing - that is a very different proposition than the centre of the field. Let those in the centre have the job of constantly working the ball out to Bruno in those areas

With Hojlund and Rashford, that’s the type of service they need. And that’s what it’s about, constructing a team whose parts compliment each other most. Just buying a player because he plays in a position is basic, you need to look at qualities and how they compliment what you have. I have no idea how Antony fits into any wider team strategy. He is not a transition forward like Rashford. He’s not direct, he’s not a player Bruno releases from the centre. Not a player for the ‘transition football’ Ten Hag apparently wants to play. Nor is he a crosser to provide for Hojlund or others. He’s just a ‘right winger’, bought because we need one of those, and doesn’t fit into a wider unit and enhance those around him. This is part of why I am critical of Ten Hag. I can’t see how he’s trying to build a high level unit that becomes better when the parts are put together.
Agree mostly only want to add that for all we know, ETH plays a pretty traditional dutch style in terms of roles and his wingers are supposed to keep the width. Which doesn't undermine most of your points but gives a glimpse into what Antony offers which I agree isn't much at the moment (independent of the recent events), he is young though and his technical level isn't bad at all and he has a positive amount of tenacity about him. He is here for now, lets see how to get the best out of him.

For Bruno to work on the flank, I think it could work if he plays a little like Mata, I agree, it definitely is worth a shot. It would work even better if we had a RB who either steps up or gets brought in. A very active fullback could make that flank even more dangerous as it could balance out Brunos deficits in terms of pace tendency to come inside.

Borninthe80ts

I think with players that are as productive as Bruno it’ll definitely be more prudent to play them closer to goal. This will allow him to wonder without compromising the solidity of the team centrally. So wide right may be the fix.

As was mentioned, I like the idea of a player that can whip the ball in behind the defence for a more physical player like Rasmus or Marcus at the back post.

I don’t mind rotating of players and positions whenever we get over the injuries in the team. However for now playing him on the right may help provide the stability we need.

ShinjiNinja26

Anyone that thinks we’re better off without Bruno is quite frankly a fecking moron. Best signing post Fergie and it’s not even close. I dread to think where we’d be without him.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Fergie would have found a role for him I am sure. Of course now, knowing how the season went and how we were a chance creating and goal scoring machine back then, it’s easy to say player x would have been a downgrade. But this applies to more or less everyone. Even Shearer would have been a downgrade as York-Cole link up that season was priceless. And now, looking back, I wouldn’t have even taken Zidane in 99 as the question would be instead of who. And don’t forget even a genius and brilliant player like Zidane actually needed to move to Real Madrid to win the CL, couldn’t do it with Juventus despite their amazing team.
So while Bruno may have been a downgrade, the same would apply to more or less any player.

PSV

Fergie would have found a role for him I am sure. Of course now, knowing how the season went and how we were a chance creating and goal scoring machine back then, it’s easy to say player x would have been a downgrade. But this applies to more or less everyone. Even Shearer would have been a downgrade as York-Cole link up that season was priceless. And now, looking back, I wouldn’t have even taken Zidane in 99 as the question would be instead of who. And don’t forget even a genius and brilliant player like Zidane actually needed to move to Real Madrid to win the CL, couldn’t do it with Juventus despite their amazing team.
So while Bruno may have been a downgrade, the same would apply to more or less any player.
You would probably take Zidane over Butt (47 games) and Bruno over Blomqvist (38 games). Not saying the two weren't solid players however.

Unideal with Bruno on the left, but Becks was one of the best players in the world at that time so he's not playing on the right.

NZT-One

Anyone that thinks we’re better off without Bruno is quite frankly a fecking moron. Best signing post Fergie and it’s not even close. I dread to think where we’d be without him.
Really shocking why this thread is always so loaded with controversy...

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Really shocking why this thread is always so loaded with controversy...
Apparently scoring the winning goal, great goal by the way, in a non-discript performance in a dire game vs Burnley in your fourth season draws parallels to Cantona, Giggs, the 99 team and Zidane.

RedStarUnited

Someone said something to the tone of “anyone who doesnt see the Bruno problems brings, deserves the shit football we play and the constant shit big game performances from him” and they were right.

Son, on a hat trick and as club captain got subbed off today so that Spurs could have a chance to win the derby. There would be an uproar in here if that was Bruno being taken off after such a good game seeing as he never gets subbed even in the shit games he plays.

Marwood

Awesome movement and finish. He also did really well just to get a shot off with that other chance from the cross.

If Bruno can get his shooting boots back this season it'll be a major asset.

SuperiorXI

It was a great volley to secure us the points. We need to get him on the ball more but I think that's probably down to all the injuries. Full XI and we see the best of Bruno: a world class player and turning into a great captain.

Tarrou

Someone said something to the tone of “anyone who doesnt see the Bruno problems brings, deserves the shit football we play and the constant shit big game performances from him” and they were right.

Son, on a hat trick and as club captain got subbed off today so that Spurs could have a chance to win the derby. There would be an uproar in here if that was Bruno being taken off after such a good game seeing as he never gets subbed even in the shit games he plays.
Our fan base are so entitled it beggars believe

feck my life it’s not that bad it’s just a football team that finished 3rd :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’d struggle as where is he playing in a 442? He isn’t getting in the 4 and we then had 4 great strikers. He’d be back up to Scholes at best and that would be a complete change of what each player brought to the team. He could be Yorke’s replacement but Sheringham was better at that role.
Of course he isn’t starting ahead of anyone in the 99 team - it was one of greatest ever. He’d be backup and that’s perfectly respectable.

foolsgold

Top of this thread tells me, 7 appearances, 2 goals, 2 assists. Average rating from Red Cafe members 5.1. It's better than Rashford's average rating of 4.7 I guess, but even so.....

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Of course he isn’t starting ahead of anyone in the 99 team - it was one of greatest ever. He’d be backup and that’s perfectly respectable.
Agreed. He’d be better quality backup than the likes of Butt and Blomqvist who played important parts.