g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Can anyone who thinks we should have an overhaul or sack Mourinho post here please and explain why?

An Irish Red

I think some of his signings have been very good, and he did well by winning us the europa, but his reactive football has a ceiling that isn't good enough for us long term.

That's the problem with him. He always wants to be the underdog and it doesn't suit us.

Nucks

RT History Department
Why are you getting triggered by them? Oh no people don’t agree with my opinions on a forum, so I should ignore them. Why don’t you counter their points rather than telling everyone how big your ignore list has gotten?
Counter their points? How? They argue like a religious person argues. Their position is not based on logic, or rational thought. It is based on emotion, belief, and feeling. You cannot debate people like that, because they have their head so far up their own ass, the lump in their throat is their nose.

NoPace

1. Football should be fun to watch. We really aren't.
2. We need a manager who sees Sanchez at RW so the young guys can compete to play at LW and Pogba in a 3 man midfield to get the best out of him.

Hughie77

His style is and can be negative. This season in the so called big games he' done ok. Pool 4pts..spurs 3pts.chelsea 3pts. Gunners so far 3pts city 0.so far. What baffles me is why in some games he doesn' t want to keep the ball? Surely if you got it they can' t do anything.
He does it even when leading or winning games. Why have front men with pace and not use them enough. I'm at a loss for a positive this season ..F A cup is a must win or I do think the board will seriously think about whether hes the person to give money to invest in the summer? That game on Tuesday was so so bad they are looking at it.

peridigm

I was listening to a USA based radio show the other day and one of the hosts said he heard from a contact in Manchester that the board are fed up with Jose and SAF was ready to take the job on an interim basis.
To be fair, said host is a former City player so it's was probably just a windup after the Sevilla loss.

But it brings up a fair question. Would you want SAF to take over until the end of the season or next season until a long term replacement could be brought in? What if he failed and it turns out the crop of players we have really are shit? What if he succeeded and won the league next season? As they say, if ifs and buts were candies and nuts...

RedCurry

We should keep Mourinho forever actually. I am beginning to get so bored of our football that I tend to spend more of my time doing productive things in life. A few more years of soul-less football where the manager has some false sense of grandeur would make me completely stop watching football all together. Who knows maybe one day I'll finally invest my time into the startup I always wanted to work on, shovel the snow, spend more time with family and obviously no guarantees but I might even have a love life and go for brunches.

Kazi

Cause we’ve spent loads of money and still play shite football.

What more of an explanation is needed?

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Bizarre thread. Don't understand how anyone can use a terrible defeat to score petty points on a forum.
I was thinking the same thing, how has this thread not been shut down for being a waste of time and some guy being a complete tool. Pettiness to the next level. Reading the title it smelt like a trap and at least the creator fessed up to what it is, but man what a joke.
If anyone has their head up their arse it’s the OP.
It's all a bit of fun some of you are so dour. There's white text in the first post ffs. OP poking the Negative Nancy's? That's not on.... Get him!

Cause we’ve spent loads of money and still play shite football.

What more of an explanation is needed?
We are shit. I don't like how we play.
Fair posts.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Sack Mourninho at the end of the season despite how our season ends.

Employ Allergi/Enrique/Tuchel/Zidane.

Ludvig nH

Yes. Cause he isn't a good fit for this club. I like Mourinho, i'm what you could call a fan. But his strength is within group and specifically in unifying groups and making them perform from a position, both tactically and regarding squad quality, from "beneath".

Every successful season from teams managed by him has been fighting from an underdog position and "us against them" mentality (porto v europe, Chelsea v rest of england at his first try, Inter v rest of italy nd the giants in europe competition). This has often harmonized with the quality of the squad in the clubs atm, very good but not top ranked in zed competition and his tactical approach as being reactive rather than acting. It works well to a certain level but for a club that constantly strives to be the best in every competition, every season, its not compatible.

This along with the sport developing and moving forward (Notes on the forum and in papers about players not having instructions, processes, and running patterns in the last third is frightening. Compare this to any other sport and you'll just be baffled. Furthermore on that, if your approach on the field and to the game is defensive and responsive, doesent having instructions and clear patterns for going forward become even more important?) and him not showing any signs of developing or changing his views of the game make him a must go sorry. It will be inevitable in the coming two years altough I can see him and the team having a great season coming up next.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toad

1. Has failed to fix the problem at left back.

2. Hasn’t found a consistent partner for Bailly.

3. Plays Sanchez on the left and expects Rashford/Martial to play out of position just so Sanchez can start. It was working so well before with Rashford/Martial switching in and out each game, why ruin that? Sanchez should be the one to play on the right. I should hold judgement now Rashford is back but we will see.

4. Has not fixed the strength in depth in the midfield. Although injuries have hindered any progress.

5. There is no first eleven. I don’t even know what our strongest lineup is personally, it’s really hard to tell. This uncertainty really takes a toll on players form in my opinion and you can notice it on he field majorly.

6. We have some fantastic attacking talent, use it effectively because they will end up getting fed up and wanting out. Although, I knew this was Mourinhos style of play before he came, I didn’t realise it was this bad.

It’s a long list for me but I don’t want him gone, I want him to fix it this summer. I want him to sign a left back, a centre back and a midfielder or two and move Sanchez to the right so we can finally have a strongest eleven that he can mould into his playing style. A tad greedy but that’s just my opinion. I can see us signing a striker but I’d rather of Lukaku was out we used Rashford or Martial up top so they get more playing time.

SAFMUTD

We don't need a total overhaul, sure we need to strength some key positions, right and left back and right wing. But generally we have a strong team, we have some great players and great youngsters, the problem is we just have the wrong manager. I'm afraid if we keep Mourinho until he runs out of contract we will keep getting the same boring games, all the team focused on defending and not making errors. Playing that way neither Sanchez, Martial, Pogba or Rashford will be able to prove their worth and it doesn't matter if you have Messi or Ronaldo if your main concern is to defend the talented players won't shine.

Just see the teams that have won the Champions League, all prefer the attacking tactics. Sure atletico and juve have reach finals but ultimately they end up losing and the attacking teams keep reaching the semifinals at least, while the defensive teams depend on the luck factor to get to the final stages.

We need to build a football philosophy that lasts beyond the manager that is currently managing the team, you see barcelona and it doesn't matter if the manager is Pep, Luis Enrique or Valverde you know the way they play. You see Madrid and it doesn't matter if the manager is Ancelotti or Zidane they will play attractive football. Or you see Juve and it doesn't matter if they are being managed by Conte or Allegri they will play defensive football. Why? because these teams have their style and their philosophy does not change by the manager in turn so all the focus and players they buy are to according to that philosophy.

Here in United we keep getting and cutting players because we lost that philosophy and we play according to our manager in turn, so we get and cut players according to the manager so when the manager is changed we need another overhaul to get the players the new manager wants. That's why we keep spending and spending and we don't get the results.

Manchester United should get a manager that has the same philosophy that this club used to have, attacking attractive football and keep building over that, if we sack the manager then we get another one with the same philosophy and we keep getting players that serve that philosophy. I don't think the main objective is to have a defensive philosophy so we should sack Mourinho and get a manager that can manage this team how our history demands.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Bizarre thread. Don't understand how anyone can use a terrible defeat to score petty points on a forum.
Especially given that some threads that are created for actual discussion are closed by the staff as deemed to be duplicated or frivolous.... but this is ok?

Nothing personal Op, but this is a football discussion forum and this thread seems the exact opposite.... it's so one poster can personalize who he listens to.

In answer to your question, I was determined to give Jose time but I'm 50/50 now and not bothered if he leaves/told to go. The Seville games/press conference comments didn't do that in one go, but possibly the straw that broke the camels back. I don't like the style of football, the tactics, the misuse of some players, the apparent lack of improvement of players by coaching (as other managers appear to do) and the excuses/press interviews. I know he won two trophies last season but in 30+ years, I've never supported United for trophies.

I hope he changes my mind/proves fans wrong by improving some players via coaching (especially the defensive line), works out who to play and where, plays on form and plays slightly more front foot football .. we have good attacking players who have pace, why would anyone play slowly and cautiously?

Feel free to put me on ignore if this isn't acceptable, I'll get over it.

Classical Mechanic

The idea is that you sack managers instead of backing squad overhauls because it is cheaper. You should have a DOF and coaches rather than managers. The coach is dispensable but the bedrock of the club will continue.

Nikelesh Reddy

If you want to have a proper shot at the league next year, just sack Mourinho and hire Conte (incidentally he is on his way out at Chelsea and not committed yet). He will keep most of the current roster while drilling them much better and getting them to work as a unit worth more than the sum of its parts. United is also well into Conte's usual narrative when taking jobs at underperforming clubs.
He was able to do this when he didn't have any European football in his first season....As soon as he had CL football,he struggled big time...He wasn't able to tailor a training programme which got the best out of his players.Chelsea probably won't even make it to the top 4,so no thanks please....Let's just stick to Jose...

cletus7

1. Has not learnt not to disrespect players in front of media
2. Is reckless with club’s finances
3. Unable to exploit potential of players with weak mentality - equates to a lot of wasted potential
4. Too unwilling or incapable to coach quality forward play
5. I doubt if he can attract quality player going forward... not for under 600k a week anyway

Walters_19_MuFc

Honestly, and I don't like suggesting managers should go, but I'm not sure I trust Mourinho with more money.

Having said that, we can't keep getting rid of managers, because if we get rid of Mourinho, then the next manager may not like certain players and will need to rebuild again. We can't keep rebuilding, because we'll see no progression. We just have to trust Jose's vision, I suppose.

In terms of our strongest team 'on paper', I don't think we're that far from a top, top team. It's just whether Mourinho can identify that and then get the right players that will suit his philosophy and system.

walkinhop

I'd keep him another year but start restructuring the directors from now. Get ready with a DoF or a version of it and lay the ground work while Mourinho tries to pluck the fruits of his labor, ideally with a PL.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
If you want to have a proper shot at the league next year, just sack Mourinho and hire Conte (incidentally he is on his way out at Chelsea and not committed yet). He will keep most of the current roster while drilling them much better and getting them to work as a unit worth more than the sum of its parts. United is also well into Conte's usual narrative when taking jobs at underperforming clubs.
This.

We don't need an overhaul. We just need a manager with a 'philosophy' more suited to the modern game and more suited to our squad. Conte would be a good choice IMO.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
The last thing we need is an overhaul. More than anything we need a settled team. All we need to do isfor Mourinho to figure out a way to get the best out of Pogba AND Alexis. Easier said than done.

Then for next year, 1 midfielder (and give McTomminay game time), 1 or 2 fullbacks. People will say we need a central defender, but we have good options there. Perhaps sell Phil Jones and buy another CD.
Getting the best out of Alexis and Pogba clearly means not playing them over on the left together. While also not dropping Martial who was great on the left until Sanchez came.

Mourinho doesn't even change these glaringly obvious issues so what hope have we got going forward.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Title should be....

can anyone explain why Mourinho deserves to remain united manager?

I’m sick to death of him, it’s got to the point where I don’t even bother wasting my time watching our matches anymore, as a fan that should never happen but mourinho and his “style” literally make me fall asleep or just piss me off so much I can’t watch. It happened under Moyes and Lvg too so it’s the end of him for me.

Son Of Sam

This.

We don't need an overhaul. We just need a manager with a 'philosophy' more suited to the modern game and more suited to our squad. Conte would be a good choice IMO.
Conte is shit!
He got the luck of the draw on his debut season by not having any European football engagement. He also crashed out from the Carabao cup much earlier. 85% of the season, his players had 7-9 days rest. They were fresh, there was a constant starting XI for most parts of the season.

This season, all that changed. There were suddenly too many games to play. The invincible mask quickly melted off and Conte couldn’t wield his magic. His team currently lies in the 5th position and this is the man you feel can take United to the dizzying heights we were under Fergie?

Jesus Wept!!!

Trajanus

I am probably a very untypical follower of United. I tend to prefer controlling games rather than gung-ho attack. I was very much in favor of when Ferguson adapted United more to a continental model, but still retaining the stamina och fighting spirit of English football. Presently, I think many exagerate the attacking flair of United from the past. Yes, from time to time opponents were crushed, but I also remember numerous occasions when results were "digged out" in stalled games. So I was not at all negative to JM; I was quite pleased with his teambuilding style and controlled approach to the game. But I also expected a certain degree of change from him.

The paradoxical thing is that I find him to be more cautious and "conservative" in his approach now than he was especially in Chelsea (who certainly was no "underdog-team" after his first year). The building of a new, solid team has had some progress but advanced fairly slowly. It is beyond me that United still only have two first rate central midfielders and no first rate fullbacks. The last game against Sevilla is a riddle to me and makes me wonder if he has become the victim of his inner gosts.

But regardless if JM stay, United must seriously consider how to build to structures in the club that makes it less dependent on the whims and capacities of the present manager. Perhaps JM should be made of director of football, or be sacked, but that problem must be solved. No more signings of "available big names", decide what type of football the club should play and hire managers and recruit players accordingly. There is nothing left of what Ferguson built. Nothing. His fault, and the club manegements, and the owners. Time for repentence.

ravi2

I'd keep him another year but start restructuring the directors from now. Get ready with a DoF or a version of it and lay the ground work while Mourinho tries to pluck the fruits of his labor, ideally with a PL.
I agree with this, if we hired a DOF when SAF left it would have saved us a lot of grief. I hope moving forward its something the board is considering.

ravi2

Conte is shit!
He got the luck of the draw on his debut season by not having any European football engagement. He also crashed out from the Carabao cup much earlier. 85% of the season, his players had 7-9 days rest. They were fresh, there was a constant starting XI for most parts of the season.

This season, all that changed. There were suddenly too many games to play. The invincible mask quickly melted off and Conte couldn’t wield his magic. His team currently lies in the 5th position and this is the man you feel can take United to the dizzying heights we were under Fergie?

Jesus Wept!!!
I cant believe folks are seriously suggesting Conte

Deleted member 101472

I believe Jose should step aside or be sacked because the players in our squad are very clearly going to perform at a higher level when they have a manager who is not stuck in the ways of playing football that mourinho is. He isn’t the man to make the most of this group of players.

RoyH1

I've been firmly on the side of keeping him, mainly because of continuity and the alternative not necessarily being an improvement. But I am now concerned about him start him to 'lose it' in year two. BUt then again, if he's fired after finishing second, that would be the least United thing we could ever do.

E-mal

Your post's not up to much, while we're on the subject.
:lol: Cant dignify an adequate response to a thread made to scorn at those with genuine reason to be worried about our team.

desmondisback

Sack him. Players and squad have potential. We just don't know how good they are at present because of Jose's negativity. I think we are second despite Jose not because of him. With a squad like ours I reckon my granny could get 4th place just playing 4-4-2 and shouting at them at half time. Her press conferences would probably make more sense too.

Moyes ,LVG , Jose will go down in history as having been at United with their best years behind them. We need...

1) a manager who probably has his best years ahead not behind him
2) someone who understands the clubs soul like Fergie did.

This club needs a breath of fresh air and something different. It's all getting stale , predictable and stagnant. We need a manager who would never tolerate the soulless nonsense excuse for football that we saw Tuesday night. A manager who would understand why the fans just can't accept or understand what they saw v Sevilla. A manager who doesn't consider it to be a sin if a team starts enjoying their football.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
We beat Chelsea after a dominant second half display, we beat Liverpool after comprehensively outplaying them for the majority of the match, the players performed terribly against Palace but came out of the game with their pride intact and the 3 points due to a show of strong character. The fans were relatively happy at this point in the season, top 4 was all but secure, we still in the CL and winning the FA Cup was a realistic possibility. All good in the hood.... Then came that game against Sevilla and everything changed. Happiness turned to devastation in the blink of an eye.

Is it safe to assume that consecutive wins against Brighton and West Ham over the next 8 days will see our feelings on the matter turn full circle once again? Get the feeling it might. Point being this, if we have learned anything since the departure of SAF, and the general lack of success that came as a result of that departure, it's that our fanbase is fickle is feck. With that in mind, would it not be best to wait until the season is completely done and dusted before we make anymore knee-jerk decisions?

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
It's incredibly simple: the football tactics that is choosing to use at United are not those most likely to give us success.

If he was playing dire football and we were still looking like competing on every front, most folks would begrudgingly acknowledge it as good. But the fact is that his methods are provably not working. We are, of course, 2nd in the league, but our goalkeeper has a simply outrageous xG swing of 14 goals. I.e., other keepers facing similar chances would have conceded that many more goals. In which case we'd be nowhere near 2nd.

We take fewer shots than our top 6 competitors, create fewer chances, run fewer yards and crucially concede more chances. Hence, the football he's choosing - this 'percentages' football is not actually very bright. The law of averages will catchup eventually.

Fridge chutney

We should sack Mourinho and overhaul the squad so that we can spend 100 Millons more, gradually grow disillusioned with the new manager and then begin the Redcafe moan cycle all over again!

Greck

He doesn't deserve to be sacked but the football is so negative/awful that being a fan is becoming more and more about investing hundreds of hours and money into a hobby one rarely enjoys, out of a sense of duty. Don't expect him to change his approach so I don't know what to think