Can Girona win La Liga? | 115 charges' trophies to be exhibited in Girona

Red the Bear

Something less generic
My innate urge to support the underdog is stymied by the city relation, truly a pickle.

JagUTD

If they do, or at least get top 4, how would it work with 2 City Group teams on n the Champions League?

90 + 5min

Why are they at the top?
Because they are playing good football. They are not as good as for example Real Madrid but somehow they end up scoring at important times. That is impressive. They like to keep the ball in the team and also have attitude to never give up.

If they can win league? With results they achived so far and confidence high I wouldn't bet against it.

JagUTD

Per Guardiola's newly formed company, Guardiola Football Group
We are in no way shape or form linked or associated with CFG, Pep Guardiola or the UAE. Except in terms of financial support and backing, in which case, yes, we are joined at the hip. Sponsored by Etihad Airways and CAS.
Which is a subsidiary of 115 Problems Inc so we can be confident it has nothing to do with City Group, who have zero problems, or else!

Rodgerzzz

I spent a lot of time in Girona growing up & a lot of my old school friends go to the matches fairly regularly so I'm happy for them & the city as a whole. It is a really nice place, the historic part especially is well worth a visit. Hopefully more of the locals turn to supporting Girona rather than the monopoly Barcelona has on the vast majority of Catalans. Feck City Group though, they're not in it for any of those things.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They landed on a good combination of playing style and talent and are superbly coached in it. They invite opponents to shoot-outs, which because they are Girona most teams accept, and then they are better equipped to win those than all but like 6 teams in the league. They caught real sociedad away in the first game of the season, got lucky against Athletic, lost big to Madrid(could say it was unlucky but really, that kind of game would end in a big madrid win 8 times out of 10) and yesterday frankly i'm not sure it should be called luck given barcelona's well documented struggles - like this wasn't the first time their finishing was abysmal and they couldn't defend once their press was beaten - but also, barcelona created enough real chances to score 6-7 goals easy....

Can they win the league? At this point yeah, why not. Will they? Probably not. Atletico Madrid and Betis coming up and the first is going to be another big humbling for them, like Madrid

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
115 charges sympathiser spotted
Stop trolling. You can hate Pep and City AND also be able to spot hypocrisy of modern football overlords. These two are not mutually exclusive

Lux Thunder

I doubt it, but also think they could, why not ? They are very well drilled into possession based football that generates enough chances to win them a game after a game. They build something that is sustainable over the course of the season.

As they showed on numerous occasions, they can turn a loss into a win a game and they can also win against good teams away from home, as we saw this weekend. If you can come to Camp Nou and score four times, you have every right to dream of a title.

Two things that can hamper their run could be injuries and the fact that they defensively still concede many chances.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

This deal seems so dodgy. How long did he have left on his contract? A player like that from Dynamo should cost way more. Money under the table.
His contract had expired. I think Kyiv got a substantial bonus clause on his next move.

He had some injuries and seemed to stagnate slightly over the last two seasons. One of the injuries meant he was unfit at the last Euro and unable to showcase himself there. I'd guess those could be reasons why he didn't have much attention on him. He's also only got average/decent athleticism for his position, it's possible scouts from bigger teams thought he wasn't quite good enough in any area to make up for that. Still, at Mudryk's age, he was easily better than him, and obviously still is the much smarter, more technically capable player. It sort of shows how random some big money transfers still are, even with all of the info available.

RoyH1

Oh i see. Damn you’re right. But mbappe is younger and has more years although it’s clear he’s like negotiating with Donald Trump
Mbappé will stay in Paris. Him and his family like the money and the power they have there specially now that Messi and Neymar are gone. In Madrid he won't be able to assert himself in the same way with all the stars and the history of the club itself.

TheRedHearted

Mbappé will stay in Paris. Him and his family like the money and the power they have there specially now that Messi and Neymar are gone. In Madrid he won't be able to assert himself in the same way with all the stars and the history of the club itself.
I see. So Madrid should have signed Kane. Who will they go for? Osimhen?

RoyH1

I see. So Madrid should have signed Kane. Who will they go for? Osimhen?
Good question. I'd leave it for the Madrid guys here to answer, but I think they might surprise everyone with a forward line of Vinicius, Rodrygo and Endrick with Joselu coming in when they need a big man up front.
I don't see Madrid shelling out the kind of money that de Laurentiis would want for a Osimhen sale. If they're going to spend huge (9 digits), they'll want a big brand name.

TheRedHearted

Good question. I'd leave it for the Madrid guys here to answer, but I think they might surprise everyone with a forward line of Vinicius, Rodrygo and Endrick with Joselu coming in when they need a big man up front.
I don't see Madrid shelling out the kind of money that de Laurentiis would want for a Osimhen sale. If they're going to spend huge (9 digits), they'll want a big brand name.
Osimhen got African player of the year, if he goes big at AFCON it’ll boost even more. Other big names for strikers, who are they at this point?

Haaland
Kane
Mbappe
Son (he’s a wide forward but still)

Second tier (name and status)
Osimhen
Jesus
Ferguson

I’m honestly drawing blanks. The list is short.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Mbappé will stay in Paris because we will offer him the same contract as Vinicius(~15M per year, net) and demand an answer within the month inclusive of signed contracts if he accepts, while PSG will offer him 3 times that

We'll go for Haaland instead

Kane was deemed too risky given his age, which is all Hazard's fault really -_-

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Yep, Real will go for Haaland..already the rumour spreaders started to whisper that the Norwegian is tempted to go to Madrid ..

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
Jep. Endrick will make minutes next season, maybe not starting 11 but basically take away minutes from Joselu who’ll be used as a last ditch effort.

Mbappe isn’t happening and Haaland is way too soon. No other viable options for us. Just gotta hope Endrick turns it on immediately. No pressure.

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
Hey @giorno, it's good to see you back!

Mbappé will stay in Paris because we will offer him the same contract as Vinicius(~15M per year, net) and demand an answer within the month inclusive of signed contracts if he accepts, while PSG will offer him 3 times that

We'll go for Haaland instead

Kane was deemed too risky given his age, which is all Hazard's fault really -_-
But doesn't the same reasoning apply to Haaland in that City can offer him a way higher salary that Florentino won't be able to match?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hey @giorno, it's good to see you back!

But doesn't the same reasoning apply to Haaland in that City can offer him a way higher salary that Florentino won't be able to match?
I mean, maybe? Depends on what the player wants. We'll make a much bigger offer to Haaland than we will to Mbappé though, so City shouldn't be able to blow us out of the water(unless they're fools, and they are not, and have Julian Alvarez)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Atleti are so weird. Murdered us and Real Sociedad at home, put up the most futile and pathetic efforts i've seen in a long while away to Barcelona and Athletic

The difference in performance home vs away against the same caliber of opponents is ridiculous

GatoLoco

Supports
Real Madrid
2-0 up vs Alaves

Let's imagine Girona finish above City in the league and the latter does not win the Champions League. Who qualifies for it next season?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
"On 6 August 2023, Dovbyk signed for Spanish club Girona by signing a contract until 2028, for a reported fee of €7m, to be the most expensive player in club's history."

Must be fun having your record signing cost peanuts and scoring double digit league goals before Christmas.

JogaBonitoRooney

Beautiful Leicester like story in La Liga. Leicester had billionaire backing too.

Last edited:

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
2-0 up vs Alaves

Let's imagine Girona finish above City in the league and the latter does not win the Champions League. Who qualifies for it next season?
CFG will figure out a way to tweak the legal entities and ownership structure so that it isn't an issue, a la Red Bull.