Cancel Culture

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
If you commit heinous crimes, or if you target marginalized groups, or if you leak information of government illegality to the press, or if you stand for free broadband for your citizens, or if you post edgy jokes on twitter you may face a negative response from people, organisations, the media, politicians, governments and society as a whole. These are the consequences of your actions.

Sometimes the consequences will be fair sometimes horribly unjust, sometimes mild, sometimes fierce. Sometimes they will be organised by fascist politicians, sometimes social justice advocates, sometimes sadistic bullies with 20 minutes to kill, sometimes media moral panickers, sometimes meanies on twitter.

That the entire social phenomena of ostracism has been boiled down to one lazy expression and carelessly and almost exclusively wielded against some nebulous cabal of villainous lefty wokists, usually hiding on twitter and in our universities, might actually be saying more about those doing the boiling and wielding.
Pinpoint summary of the whole thing in three paragraphs.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
VIRTUAL EVENT: The Crown Under Fire: Why the Left’s Campaign to Cancel the Monarchy and Undermine a Cornerstone of Western Democracy Will Fail
Please join the Margaret Thatcher Center for Freedom and Simon Center for American Studies for an insightful discussion about defending conservative institutions and uniting to preserve the special UK-US Relationship.
https://www.heritage.org/europe/eve...hy-the-lefts-campaign-cancel-the-monarchy-and

In order to launch an assault on the British monarchy, the American radical Left has seized upon the claims from Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex, that the Royal Family created a hostile, racist environment for the couple. Britain’s constitutional monarchy—among the most powerful conservative institutions on the world stage—represents everything the radical Left despises: tradition, authority, hierarchy, patriotism, and the political and religious ideals of Western Civilization.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Dunno where to post this, but this is some brilliant marketing.

Sure they clarified in a reply, but the damage was done. This went viral and the clarification got like 5 retweets.
How much they doubled down on something so dumb was impressively awful.

They just kept replying and replying to angry people with the trolliest of responses.

I saw this at the time and see it's deleted now, so I'm guessing someone got fired.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Here's why it was such a stupid idea. Yeah, you've deleted the original tweet. But every new tweet on your account is now a battle between "Aren't you the ones who said women belong in the kitchen" folks and "yeah, they do belong there" folks. They've just made a place for endless misogynistic comments. That account is buried.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
How much they doubled down on something so dumb was impressively awful.

They just kept replying and replying to angry people with the trolliest of responses.

I saw this at the time and see it's deleted now, so I'm guessing someone got fired.
Yeah, the attempted damage control was nearly worse than the original tweet. I'm sure the responsible employee can find a new career making headlines for the daily mail. Or thread titles in the transfer forum.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yeah, the attempted damage control was nearly worse than the original tweet. I'm sure the responsible employee can find a new career making headlines for the daily mail. Or thread titles in the transfer forum.
Just pick a tweet since that date and look at the state of the replies :lol:

Surely going to be a case study on marketing courses in the future, and a mainstay of articles about the worst social media blunders made by companies.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Love the current Lil Nas X cancel saga. Love his Twitter tiff with Kaitlyn Bennett even more, wonder if she shit herself again when she read his reply to her racist trope question...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
:lol:

He is talking about a reboot of Space Jam for fecks sake.
It may look silly at first sight, but it's indeed a manifestation of a wider development of society moving forward. In this case, that treating "minor" sexual harassment as boys' fun is becoming socially unacceptable. Which is great.

And at second glance I don't even think it's so laughable. The article makes it clear how cultural-industrial representations (here: in cartoons) have always reflected and promoted moral standards of their time. I certainly wouldn't want the racist cartoon characters of old to be shown to kids today. And while the author probably lacks a critical concept of progress (which makes your dismissal partly true, of course), he's absolutely right about his basic point. So Pepe can do one.

Not going there now, but this is all part of a wider argument to be had about a certain type of criticism of liberalism I regulary see from (some) leftists in here. I think it's flawed in several ways, and sometimes resulting in serious political mistakes. To be clear, not speaking from a standpoint of apologism of liberal capitalism and its culture, but from what I consider radical criticism.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
First they made Lola Bunny not as uncomfortably sexy and now they're after the molesting skunk.

World's gone mad, I tell ya.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It may look silly at first sight, but it's indeed a manifestation of a wider development of society moving forward. In this case, that treating "minor" sexual harassment as boys' fun is becoming socially unacceptable. Which is great.

And at second glance I don't even think it's so laughable. The article makes it clear how cultural-industrial representations (here: in cartoons) have always reflected and promoted moral standards of their time. I certainly wouldn't want the racist cartoon characters of old to be shown to kids today. And while the author probably lacks a critical concept of progress (which makes your dismissal partly true, of course), he's absolutely right about his basic point. So Pepe can do one.

Not going there now, but this is all part of a wider argument to be had about a certain type of criticism of liberalism I regulary see from (some) leftists in here. I think it's flawed in several ways, and sometimes resulting in serious political mistakes. To be clear, not speaking from a standpoint of apologism of liberal capitalism and its culture, but from what I consider radical criticism.
Pepe was cringeworthy when I was a kid and extremely awkward. It never crossed my mind that other people felt the same though.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Why not use the opportunity presented by the SpaceJam reboot to educate Pepe (and thereby the children watching the film) instead of just cancelling him?

JPRouve

Scout
Why not use the opportunity presented by the SpaceJam reboot to educate Pepe (and thereby the children watching the film) instead of just cancelling him?
Were people watching him though? I'm probably talking through my backside but while I agree with the negative sentiments around Pepe, I suspect that it was an easy PR move because who watches him in 2021?

Dr. Dwayne

I don’t think lecturing a skunk about consent would be the light-hearted funny vibe they’re after.
These kinds of films/plots always have a journey of discovery angle. I'd enjoy seeing M. LePew reflect on his past behaviour while lamenting how it seems he no longer has an outlet for his amorouesness and then discover that approaching women female cats that ran afoul of a traffic line painter respectfully actually brings him better results.

That might still leave the interspecies sex angle to talk about but that's for another time.

Dr. Dwayne

Were people watching him though? I'm probably talking through my backside but while I agree with the negative sentiments around Pepe, I suspect that it was an easy PR move because who watches him in 2021?
See, the easy move to me seems more like 'pretend it never happened/let's not talk about that' crap that doesn't solve anything and just buries it under the pile of other shit that was treated the same way. If there's no learning, we don't improve as a society.

JPRouve

Scout
See, the easy move to me seems more like 'pretend it never happened/let's not talk about that' crap that doesn't solve anything and just buries it under the pile of other shit that was treated the same way. If there's no learning, we don't improve as a society.
I agree with you and your suggestion about self reflection from Pepe would be an interesting move.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
These kinds of films/plots always have a journey of discovery angle. I'd enjoy seeing M. LePew reflect on his past behaviour while lamenting how it seems he no longer has an outlet for his amorouesness and then discover that approaching women female cats that ran afoul of a traffic line painter respectfully actually brings him better results.

That might still leave the interspecies sex angle to talk about but that's for another time.
:lol:

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

Yeah but the journey of discovery angle in Space Jam was that Michael Jordan realised he's a better basketballer than he is base baller. Doesn't tie in

JPRouve

Scout
Yeah but the journey of discovery angle in Space Jam was that Michael Jordan realised he's a better basketballer than he is base baller. Doesn't tie in
That was minor league baseball, not Space Jam.

Sweet Square

It is really ? Or it is a marketing choice made by the film studio to win over this bizarre new adult audience who embrace at lot of entertainment which is aimed at children. Getting rid of the skunk is decision made for the sickos adults who will watch the new reboot of space jam. Also these stories are great way to generate some free advertisement.

The article is correct that like most art forms cartoons reflected the era they were in but I also can't see it as anything more than an attempt to defend the current cultural train wreck we are living through. This progressive ''politics'' thats gets layered onto these children films(Which is always never progressive enough as the author also mentions the film still includes the problematic Mexican stereotype Speedy Gonzales:houllier:)is really a way for these liberal types to convince themselves more than anyone else as to why they should still care about this culturally void and why it's actually really important thing to write and talk about it. This all started because some liberal goon said the cartoon skunk promoted rape culture(Which seems an insult to victims of sexual assault) but also here's another dumb example from 2018 - Who Said It: Pepé Le Pew or Donald Trump ? https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/06/opinion/pep-le-pew-trump.html

It can't help but see this as media websites looking for clickbait and dullard liberals trying to justify their own shite cultural taste(The conservative right do the same thing but bizarrely now see tradition as bringing back the bunny with the giant tits).

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Pepe was cringeworthy when I was a kid and extremely awkward. It never crossed my mind that other people felt the same though.
As I remember, Pepe was the same to me as any other kind of cartoon entertainment. I also don't think it influenced my attitude or behaviour towards girls. Similar to the video games/violence issue, I'm sure most kids can distinguish between real life and cartoons. If kids imitate shitty behaviour seen on media, something else has probably gone wrong in the first place.

On the overall topic again, I think the same distinction must be made regarding social progress and media codes. Progress obviously happens outside of the media realm, and the latter just opportunistically follows suit after a while. Which is more or less how I understand this little incident. (While being fully aware how hollow and calculated corporate image makeovers are.)

@Sweet Square
I've read your post and will reply some time later as well

Last edited:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Pretty much :lol:
The same thing happens with a lot of older music.
That being said there was a song in the charts recently that had the line "can't make a wife out of a hoe".
There are some incredibly creepy old songs out there. But they were always creepy.

Brown sugar
How come you taste so good?
Brown sugar
Just like a young girl should
Never gonna stop, give it up, such a dirty mind
Always get it up for the touch of the younger kind
My, my, my, ay, ay, woah
M-m-m-my Sharona
My Sharona
Girl, you'll be a woman soon
Please come take my hand
Girl, you'll be a woman soon