Carabao Cup 2022/23

Idxomer

That's a red card to Pope for me, there is zero regard for the player's safety here.

Nero

No idea why goalkeepers are free to recklessly wipe opponents out.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Young lad in getting dicked by Pope shocker.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Keepers can do that and get nothing but look at a keeper sideways and it's a free kick.

The least talented footballers with the most protection. What a joke.

V.O.

He is definitely concussed. Now watch him play on.

EDIT: Fair play to Saints. Plenty of other clubs wouldn’t have done that.
Yeah, good to see. Mad that it's in the club's hands at all.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
That was a half of football I am very glad I watched. Definitely couldn't have spent my time doing anything more interesting.

i hate myself

V.O.

That was a half of football I am very glad I watched. Definitely couldn't have spent my time doing anything more interesting.
I too am chuffed with my decision to subject myself to a game between a team that can't score goals and Atletico Madrid On Tyne.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Howard Webb has basically made VAR redundant now.

Is this ACTUALLY better going forward? I'm not really sure. Now we're just left with dodgy decisions that we can see are incorrect, but they're not going to bother to overturn them anyway.

Meh.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Is this ACTUALLY better going forward? I'm not really sure. Now we're just left with dodgy decisions that we can see are incorrect, but they're not going to bother to overturn them anyway.

Meh.
You’re only coming to this conclusion now? VAR has made football worse from day one. At this stage the constant tweaks are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

V.O.

Meh.
It seems worse than not having VAR at all, because refs will just err on the side of not making calls, and you'll need to be poleaxed to be given a pen.

If a ref was 60/40 about giving a pen/red card etc before VAR, he'd just give it. Now he'll not and hope VAR bails him out if he's fecked it up massively.

V.O.

You’re only coming to this conclusion now? VAR has made football worse from day one. At this stage the constant tweaks are just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.
Nah. The monkeys using VAR have made football worse. There's no reason the system itself couldn't work if the on-field referees weren't cowards and the VAR did anything other than say "my mate on the field is right" most of the time.

Adam-Utd

I'm arguing the opposite though. I think it's better with VAR being used correctly.

Personally up to this recent change I was quite happy with it. Offside was offside, handball was handball, if there was a mistake VAR overturned it.

Now? it's up to VAR whether they like the referee enough to go with him and protect him.

Look at the Mctominay penalty, before the recent change that would have been a nailed on overturn. Now? they're just hushing up and waving things away.

The joelinton goal tonight was a tight call, but a certain angle showed it hit his midrift and not the arm. It should have been allowed but they're now ignoring it.

Why are they choosing to be so wishy washy? You either use it properly or dump it completely. It's stupid.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Why is the twat going for the spectacular there? Just control the ball and shoot ffs.

V.O.

I'm arguing the opposite though. I think it's better with VAR being used correctly.

Personally up to this recent change I was quite happy with it. Offside was offside, handball was handball, if there was a mistake VAR overturned it.

Now? it's up to VAR whether they like the referee enough to go with him and protect him.

Look at the Mctominay penalty, before the recent change that would have been a nailed on overturn. Now? they're just hushing up and waving things away.

The joelinton goal tonight was a tight call, but a certain angle showed it hit his midrift and not the arm. It should have been allowed but they're now ignoring it.

Why are they choosing to be so wishy washy? You either use it properly or dump it completely. It's stupid.
Exactly. You can't have a built-in bias to the on-field decision when the referee himself isn't giving decisions because of VAR.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The main problem with VAR is that:

A. Referees shy away from making difficult decisions.
B. VAR shy away from overturning difficult decisions.

The reason that’s a problem is because there are a lot of A which results in a lot of B. When in reality if you solve either A or B the system gets infinitely better.

V.O.

Bringing back the days of Joelinton being a meme striker instead of a surprisingly decent midfielder. :drool:

Adam-Utd

Exactly. You can't have a built-in bias to the on-field decision when the referee himself isn't giving decisions because of VAR.
But if the referee won't give it, when will VAR? they just say the evidence isn't strong enough which is a blatent lie. The lad had his foot across mctominay and tripped him :lol:

I just don't understand it. They've essentially said "we don't like VAR and the ref is final"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah. The monkeys using VAR have made football worse. There's no reason the system itself couldn't work if the on-field referees weren't cowards and the VAR did anything other than say "my mate on the field is right" most of the time.

The only way the poxy thing works is stopping the game after each and every decision where the ref isn’t 100% sure and let him have a chat with the VAR guy, explaining what he’s looking for and what he needs help with. This conversation should be mic’d up, so the fans know what the feck is going on. Which is what they do in sports like cricket, hockey and rugby, where VAR actually works.

All these other sports either have natural lengthy breaks baked in, or use an appeal system to limit the number of referrals. Anything else is a half arsed shambles, which ruins the flow of the game and still doesn’t get big decisions right.