g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Carabao Cup 2022/23

lex talionis

Obviously we all want to see us land this trophy. But do we even considering starting anything less than our best XI, no exceptions, for the semis and final?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Top 4 means you get a chance to play for the biggest of all trophies... I'll take that over Carabao thing. But the FA Cup and the Europa League (even without the bonus of it giving a CL qualification) are worthy trophies. I was gutted when we lost that Semifinal to Seville in 2020, it would have been a wonderful season with a trophy against Inter in the final. Can't compare it to Carabao thing... Not as emotional about the Villareal game, the run was better but it came off the back of a shameful CL exit.

This here is really forgettable so far. Nothing is memorable about three home games against Villa, Burnley and Charlton sending you to the semifinal.
And finishing in the top 4 to qualify is for another thing wrong with football, and the only reason it's there is money

It's called The European Champions League and most of the teams in it aren't champions of any league, more than half of the actual Champions of their countries league can't even qualify for it directly

foolsgold

Obviously we all want to see us land this trophy. But do we even considering starting anything less than our best XI, no exceptions, for the semis and final?
No, getting some silverware is vital. We go full strength against City and Arsenal then rotate for the Reading game in the middle of the two Forest matches.

mu4c_20le

No, getting some silverware is vital. We go full strength against City and Arsenal then rotate for the Reading game in the middle of the two Forest matches.
The first leg of the semis is 2 days afterArsenal game.

lex talionis

Ok, full strength.

But what if Pellistri is fantastic form in his prior 2-3 outings and Antony, though fully fit, puts up another meh performance in the prior match? Do you ride form or stick with experience?

zenith

We need to give this a very high priority now. A trophy win can really catalyze the squad and do wonders in terms of boosting their hunger for more.

I recall our carling cup win in the team with young Ronaldo and rooney and how that led to great achievements in the years that follow.

Lebo

ETH doesn’t look like the kind of guy who gives up a game for the convenience. We are going to attempt to win all the trophies possible. That’s how you build memorable seasons

croadyman

When you haven't won something for six years the opportunity to get a trophy no matter how much people mock it is still special

Think it’ll mean alot to the likes of Casemiro, he might have 5 CL but I think he’ll love coming into English football & immediately picking up the first trophy available. Can imagine it’ll give the team a massive confidence boost going in to squeaky bum time.

padzilla

Hipster
If we're playing Newcastle in a potential final, it certainly won't feel small time. They're literally our most immediate league competition
I think, as well, given what Newcastle have come to represent that it would be even more galling to lose ETH's first cup final against them - that said Forest will be no pushover in the semis.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
If we're playing Newcastle in a potential final, it certainly won't feel small time. They're literally our most immediate league competition
Wouldn’t be surprised if Southampton cause another upset. I want us to get Newcastle though. Rival fans are already saying we’ve not played a top 8 team yet and had 3 home draws in a row.

Son

If we can win this trophy and be in the top 3 of the league in his first 8 months in charge. That’s amazing work.

Easy draw or not it’s huge improvement from past seasons.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I am withholding my opinion on this competition until we win it. If we win it, it's a great competition and will push us on. If we lose, I never cared about it any way.

prateik

Its a shit tournament.. Dont care about it at all.. but winning games is always good.
This isnt even the FA cup.. the league cup should be for the reserves

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Its a shit tournament.. Dont care about it at all.. but winning games is always good.
I would have agreed if we would not had been so shit in the past years. But a small trophy like that could further confirm the upward trend and advance the team further.

Jeffthered

I think, as well, given what Newcastle have come to represent that it would be even more galling to lose ETH's first cup final against them - that said Forest will be no pushover in the semis.
Exactly... the Soton' / City game last night should make us all realise the need to really need to focus and be 100+% on this, all of our games, because anything can happen. All the semi finalists will feel, justifiably, that they can win this.

I'm sure ETH and his staff will make this clear to the players. This is what I like about ETH.. he gets the principles right, off the pitch...mentality, professionalism, culture. And it's slowly building a good foundation for the football.

Are the semis over two legs?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Any video of the Wolves Forest scuffle? The only thing I can find online is the shit-housing during the pens.

YikesSchmeics

Since Swansea won it in 2013 the last 10 winners have been:

City - 6
Chelsea - 2
United - 1
Liverpool - 1

It's silverware at a time when we are 5 years and counting without a trophy. I'm not saying we should have parades on the streets but ending that barren run and giving this team some momentum would be huge. We absolutely need to go full pelt to win this.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I remember how amusing I found it when Arsenal and Tottenham would rest players in League Cup or Europa League games and promptly get knocked out. What made them think the those competitions were below them when they were winning feck all else.

I hope we don't follow the same path. When you're competing on all fronts and winning trophies on a regular basis you have a right to prioritise, but when you're in a barren spell you take what you can get.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Funny to see Newcastle players celebrating in the dressing room like they’d won something already. Lads it was Leicester and you’re in the semifinals now not the final

Ladron de redcafe

If we can win this trophy and be in the top 3 of the league in his first 8 months in charge. That’s amazing work.

Easy draw or not it’s huge improvement from past seasons.
Yeah I don't think it's a meaningful trophy but it's a starting point. And obviously, we are hoping for a good finish in the Premier league.

captaincantona

Mourinho counted the charity shield as a trophy. Pep certainly celebrates the league cup wins. Ferguson spoke very highly of the world club title which was only one game at the time I think. As a manager, any piece of silverware buys time and lends itself to your own defence when results hit a bad patch.

As fans, it really is an elite bunch that could possibly say something as entitled “the league cup is for the reserves”. You would think our recent history and time pre Alex Ferguson would have taught us to know better.Success is temporary. Enjoy it whenever you can.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It's been going for over 60 years and it's one of the 3 domestic trophies. We don't have the luxury of picking and choosing. We should take this very seriously.

Jeffthered

Some of the comments regarding this are quite alarming. How the game has changed, and the views and expectations of the fans (well some). The League Cup is a cracking tournament to win... it's great for a club, for the fans it's a genuine day out at Wembley, and if you win it, it's a great boost for everyone. The League Cup has been dominated by successful teams and managers in recent years and there is a reason for that.

I really hope we can get through this semi.... Manchester United at a Cup Final is a wonderful possibility. Look at the dross we have had with Ralf and OGS.

We have a limited squad, and I have said that if we were to reach top four, that would be, in my opinion, an outstanding achievement. Top four and a Cup Final appearance, with our squad, considering where we were a matter of months ago...? Sounds tremendous to me.

Herman Toothrot

The right move. Why help your opposition? Bizarre this was even a conversation.
You could make a case for it being the morally right thing to do, but I guess if your first port of call after leaving on loan is to slag of your parent club, well, get fecked.