g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Carabao Cup 2022/23

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Top 4 means you get a chance to play for the biggest of all trophies... I'll take that over Carabao thing. But the FA Cup and the Europa League (even without the bonus of it giving a CL qualification) are worthy trophies. I was gutted when we lost that Semifinal to Seville in 2020, it would have been a wonderful season with a trophy against Inter in the final. Can't compare it to Carabao thing... Not as emotional about the Villareal game, the run was better but it came off the back of a shameful CL exit.

This here is really forgettable so far. Nothing is memorable about three home games against Villa, Burnley and Charlton sending you to the semifinal.
That's the nature of cups, and how Chelsea win one every season.

Real Name

Top 4 means you get a chance to play for the biggest of all trophies... I'll take that over Carabao thing. But the FA Cup and the Europa League (even without the bonus of it giving a CL qualification) are worthy trophies. I was gutted when we lost that Semifinal to Seville in 2020, it would have been a wonderful season with a trophy against Inter in the final. Can't compare it to Carabao thing... Not as emotional about the Villareal game, the run was better but it came off the back of a shameful CL exit.

This here is really forgettable so far. Nothing is memorable about three home games against Villa, Burnley and Charlton sending you to the semifinal.
It's just the fact winning at least one trophy in his 1st year will be a great start for ETH and nothing to frown upon.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

You guys seriously worry too much about these 'either or' scenarios. We are getting top 4 and we are hopefully winning a cup or three.

Smores

It's a shit trophy no point denying it but given our trophyless streak it'll be an exciting achievement. A trophy in the managers first season would lift everyone.

Still have to do our job in despatching Notts and Newcastle mind you.

BorisManUtd

The games keep on piling and piling...

Throw the Europa League and focus on domestic comps and Top 4??
If we're in Carabao Cup final, into next round of Fa Cup and are looking fine league wise by Barca game, I wouldn't play strongest 11 against them as we need to be fresh coming into last 3 months of season. Especially considering it's not only Barca as good team in EL, there are also Arsenal, Juve and Sevilla left.

mu4c_20le

It's just the fact winning at least one trophy in his 1st year will be a great start for ETH and nothing to frown upon.
Of course, but if we want to attract the best talents like Enzo, we can't go consecutive years without CL and keep trying to sell a project

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
The milk cup is the youth tournament held in Northern Ireland every year.
The Milk Marketing board was the first ever sponsor of the League cup in the 80's and it was called the Milk Cup

The NI one isn't called the Milk Cup anymore BTW

Gazza

Top 4 may be more important from a football is serious business POV but winning a trophy is much more important from a football fan enjoys seeing their team be successful POV. We don't need to be cold, rational bastards all the time, analyzing what will give the club the best chance of "success in the future", football fandom should leave some space for enjoyment too, especially when there is a chance of success in the here and now.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Top 4 may be more important from a football is serious business POV but winning a trophy is much more important from a football fan enjoys seeing their team be successful POV. We don't need to be cold, rational bastards all the time, analyzing what will give the club the best chance of "success in the future", football fandom should leave some space for enjoyment too, especially when there is a chance of success in the here and now.
Hear hear

laughtersassassin

It may only be the Carling Cup but with us being 5 years without a trophy it's vital we go full strength for the remainder of the competition to finally get back to winning silverware

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's not just about "football is serious business", it's about giving this new emerging team the best platform for next season to grow. I think playing in the CL and finishing as high up the table as possible - with a healthy points tally and goal difference - would be the best indicator of the club's upward trajectory.

We've got two legs against Forest, if we get to the final we will of course have to play our strongest XI. I'm hoping we can put down a marker in the first leg against Forest though.

mu4c_20le

It may only be the Carling Cup but with us being 5 years without a trophy it's vital we go full strength for the remainder of the competition to finally get back to winning silverware
Given that the final is usually at the end of feb/early march, looks like it will be just before the Liverpool game.

Gazza

It's not just about "football is serious business", it's about giving this new emerging team the best platform for next season to grow. I think playing in the CL and finishing as high up the table as possible - with a healthy points tally and goal difference - would be the best indicator of the club's upward trajectory.

We've got two legs against Forest, if we get to the final we will of course have to play our strongest XI. I'm hoping we can put down a marker in the first leg against Forest though.
I guess we're debating semantics here -- I already said Top 4 is more important from a business/future success perspective, I merely pointed out that as football fans we don't need to view everything so seriously and can stand to enjoy winning a trophy as well. I would argue that yes, league performance is a better indicator of long term potential, but that's not exactly equivalent to the POV that "top 4 is more important than winning a trophy", and I'd also argue 'league performance' is a more nuanced idea than "CL qualification". As in, we finished in the top 4 under LVG but I wouldn't argue that our league performance was indicative of a bright future for that squad. One could also make the argument that winning a "smaller" trophy has been considered a catalyst in teams reaching their full potential, such as united, Chelsea, City and Arsenal in the past (albeit they also finished top 4 tbf).

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I guess we're debating semantics here -- I already said Top 4 is more important from a business/future success perspective, I merely pointed out that as football fans we don't need to view everything so seriously and can stand to enjoy winning a trophy as well. I would argue that yes, league performance is a better indicator of long term potential, but that's not exactly equivalent to the POV that "top 4 is more important than winning a trophy", and I'd also argue 'league performance' is a more nuanced idea than "CL qualification". As in, we finished in the top 4 under LVG but I wouldn't argue that our league performance was indicative of a bright future for that squad. One could also make the argument that winning a "smaller" trophy has been considered a catalyst in teams reaching their full potential, such as united, Chelsea, City and Arsenal in the past (albeit they also finished top 4 tbf).
Aye, fair enough mate.

IRELANDUNITED

It's a shit trophy no point denying it but given our trophyless streak it'll be an exciting achievement. A trophy in the managers first season would lift everyone.

Still have to do our job in despatching Notts and Newcastle mind you.
I don’t necessarily agree that it’s a shite trophy. It seems teams have taken it more seriously in recent times. City have won 6 out of the last 8 league cups so they must consider it worthwhile and Liverpool even had an open top bus parade when they won it last year.

BorisManUtd

I don’t necessarily agree that it’s a shite trophy. It seems teams have taken it more seriously in recent times. City have won 6 out of the last 8 league cups
It's least important of 4 trophies team can win, but a good thing about it is probably that you play final in late February/early March so winning it gives you boost of energy and motivation for rest of the season. I loved back when we won it in 2017 and then went on to win Europa as well, though league form worsened but those few months were exciting.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
This cup is always the platform to succeed. Winning this will give the players more hunger. ETH is a born winner and creating a winning mentality hopefully this trophy will be the first of many under him.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
If we're playing Newcastle in a potential final, it certainly won't feel small time. They're literally our most immediate league competition

AshRK

This cup is always the platform to succeed. Winning this will give the players more hunger. ETH is a born winner and creating a winning mentality hopefully this trophy will be the first of many under him.
Sir alex in his auto biography said the 2006 league cup was very important to give the young players like rooney ronaldo a taste of trophy. League cup or not, a trophy is a trophy.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Sir alex in his auto biography said the 2006 league cup was very important to give the young players like rooney ronaldo a taste of trophy. League cup or not, a trophy is a trophy.
Absolutely!

mu4c_20le

Sir Alex also finished 2nd that year. If we finish say 3rd and a cup I'll be doing this

cpresc

We beat Citeh on Saturday and the Quadruple is on. We’re massively in form and Arsenal are of course bottlers

andy0

Oh. Highlights on ITV starting shortly. I know most of you folk have watched already, but I haven't

Hope there's a decent amount from last night as well

hatchetmac

Is Henderson ineligible for these Semi finals? Would be hilarious if he was
Rule 6.3 on the Carabao Cup website states: “Players registered on a temporary basis will not be eligible to play unless the Club holding his full registration gives its written consent.”

SAFMUTD

Small trophy we all know but god damn its been so long without winning anything, nevermind winning any important competition, that its exciting. All points out to us vs Newcastle final but lets win this one first.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We are in no position to play down any cup given we have been trophyless for the last 5 years. This club needs to win silverware and hence the LC is hugely important.

Anyway it's still a long way to go as we play Forest and if we make it Newcastle in the final who are ahead of us in the league.

wangyu

After being irrelevant for most of the past 10 years I still see plenty of fans belittling anything that isn’t CL or EPL.
I say great job guys, don’t let this slip, maybe it is a start of thing to come.

Ferguson won the cup in 90, EC2 in 91 and league cup in 92 and then BOOM

RedPed

Whatabouter.
After being irrelevant for most of the past 10 years I still see plenty of fans belittling anything that isn’t CL or EPL.
I say great job guys, don’t let this slip, maybe it is a start of thing to come.

Ferguson won the cup in 90, EC2 in 91 and league cup in 92 and then BOOM
Feck 'em!