Carrick's First Team

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Because inbetween some smart saves De Gea is chucking goals in on a pretty consistent basis.

It's why I'm slightly positive. Carrick doesn't need to make huge changes to get a different performance. Just play Henderson, Beek and Sancho. That alone would give us a boost.
How many shots did the teams opposing us have to score those goals? How does it compare with other keepers?

Did everyone forget we shipped 4 goals against Pool at home when we were in better form and they had injuries last season? This all stinks of people pushing their opinion because they can.

Marwood

How many shots did the teams opposing us have to score those goals? How does it compare with other keepers?

Did everyone forget we shipped 4 goals against Pool at home when we were in better form and they had injuries last season? This all stinks of people pushing their opinion because they can.
I don't feel like I need stats to know if De Gea is letting goals in that he shouldn't and has been doing for a few years now. It's clear as day.

I don't know why people giving their opinion stinks either. Kind of the whole point of a forum.

In anycase droping De Gea and at least one of McFred should be top of Carrick's list.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I don't feel like I need stats to know if De Gea is letting goals in that he shouldn't and has been doing for a few years now. It's clear as day.

I don't know why people giving their opinion stinks either. Kind of the whole point of a forum.

In anycase droping De Gea and at least one of McFred should be top of Carrick's list.
I am not challenging your right to an opinion, just the logic of the given opinion when you claim our best player in this dire recent period should be dropped when people like McTominay and Maguire are not the first ones mentioned for the boot.

Abraxas

I think we might see VDB. a) because he put in a good showing second half and b) if there is ever a man that should appreciate the more technically gifted of the available options, it should be him. Possibly also c) that we need a change, what is the point in doing the exact same things. One or two positions need a shakeup and that's an obvious one.

Apart from that he's probably not going to reinvent the wheel. We don't know where he and Ole differ but it's probably reasonable to assume they have some shared beliefs if they worked together. So probably still this 4-2-3-1 just with a different voice.

The Irish Connection

My hope is De Gea can remain competent enough til the summer. Then sell him and Henderson and bring in a solid sweeper keeper.

Guapa

It'll be the same shite rehashed.Maybe Donny to get some time to appease the fans.It'll be the same rudderless performance as under Ole as nothing has really changed until we get the right manager in(has to be ETH).

Can't see anything other than zero points here and another embarrassment.

Dr Foo

If ever there is an ex-player to appreciate and integrate Donny in for his technical attributes, I would think Carrick is the one. That could be a bright spot, hoping for more positive changes of course. 4-3-3 hopefully.

NoLogo

We have another nutter. 3-1-3-3, we're doomed.
Carrick and his team imo have a completely different problem that reaches beyond any formation. They don't know how to teach a team basic structure and attacking moves they can perform, to say it with Rangnick's words, "5 minutes after you wake them at midnight and tell them, they have to play a game."

One of the main reason you see someone like Tuchel have an immediate impact on his teams is because he actually knows how to do that. The only thing our coaching team has proven that even with way more time on their hands compared to other coaches, they are not capable of teaching our team anything.

el3mel

It'll be a copy and paste from Ole's teams and tactics.

People shouldn't expect more. Just go through the next 2 games or so and appoint an interim manager quickly.

Fecking the board could have sacked Ole in the break and had 2 free weeks to appoint an interim.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Hopefully no Maguire or AWB.
Varane is out, Maguire is captain. Otherwise yeah I’d aay Maguire needs to be dropped.
We have no viable RB option as Dalot is appalling so who would you play instead of AWB?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It'll be a copy and paste from Ole's teams and tactics.

People shouldn't expect more. Just go through the next 2 games or so and appoint an interim manager quickly.

Fecking the board could have sacked Ole in the break and had 2 free weeks to appoint an interim.
So Carrick is the interim to the interim?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
That's the duo I've been wanting to see for a long time now. I can't recall. Have they had any minutes together?
From memory they played together in a midfield two in a match last season, and it was one of VDB's better games at the time.

In theory they should be decent partners for each other, as Fred is probably the only other midfielder we have who is up for the quick, short, pass-and-move style that VDB prefers.

YouknowNani

He'll change something. It would be incredibly stupid not to, even if purely based on the credit he will receive if he plays VDB and a slightly different system and wins the game.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I think in his conference he said something along the lines that he contributed to Ole’s plans but also has his own ideas - I’d imagine he’s alluding to some changes in personnel.

Hopefully Donny and Sancho start.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don't for a second think Carrick with start McFred. He, of all people, should understand the need for a midfielder who's able to pass between the lines. Donny will surely be in our midfield for tomorrow's game - it's just who partners him.

Red Royal

I think in his conference he said something along the lines that he contributed to Ole’s plans but also has his own ideas - I’d imagine he’s alluding to some changes in personnel.

Hopefully Donny and Sancho start.
If he were to pair Bailly and Lindelof and drop Harry it would be a big statement that he is the gaffer and no-one has a divine right to start. There is not much to lose given his recent form.
Make Bruno captain and hope he ups his game in response.

Danillaco

Same stuff I guess, maybe our best shot is Matic - Donny - Bruno in midfield. Get Fred and McT away and Shaw a time out.

Cantonagotmehere

It'll be the same shite rehashed.Maybe Donny to get some time to appease the fans.It'll be the same rudderless performance as under Ole as nothing has really changed until we get the right manager in(has to be ETH).

Can't see anything other than zero points here and another embarrassment.
Geez man. Ole is finally gone, VDB will start and the players will crazy out there. Look forward to it!

Hughie77

Same shit diferent day I feel, can this bunch run quicker pass quicker think quicker all of a sudden? Let's hope they can let's see if they want to pick up there tools.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
From memory they played together in a midfield two in a match last season, and it was one of VDB's better games at the time.

In theory they should be decent partners for each other, as Fred is probably the only other midfielder we have who is up for the quick, short, pass-and-move style that VDB prefers.
Fred's been one of Uniteds scapegoats for a longtime now but I'd like to see him in a more structured setup before discarding him completely. Not that I think Carrick is going to bring structure for tomorrows game but dynamically speaking Fred and Donny seem to be the obvious choice for movement and linking up play further up the pitch. He starts with McFred then basically he deserves everything he gets.

No idea, also chances are slim considering de beek player very few games.
Yeah fair point. I'd like to think VDB will start after his last outing and with McT bang out of form, Pogba injured and Matics legs deserting him against a fast paced team the logical choice should be Fred if Carrick decides to go with a double pivot. Could even work in a 4-3-3 but Bruno is going to have to become a lot more disciplined for that to work which I wouldn't put all my savings on tbh.

Beagle

Players getting their excuses in already.

Defeat tomorrow by 2-3 goals and a record defeat next Sunday.

But its the coaches fault Maguire is a clown.
Surely this is made up. Sources close to the players! What is that?

lex talionis

A few tweaks.

De Gea
Bailly Lindelof Maguire
AWB Telles (as wingbacks, not central midfielders...my spellcheck wanted to type in MILF! :lol: )
Donny and Matic
Bruno
Sancho and Ronaldo

Maguire has been gash this season but this is not the occasion to bench him, although if Varane were fit I'd give benching Maguire serious consideration. I assume Shaw is out, and he's been gash too. Telles deserves a shot. Donny and Matic all day long over McFred, although we should plan on bringing on Fred around the 60th minute or at the first sign of Matic's deterioration.

The hard call with this squad -- and in this situation a draw would suit us just fine -- is with who to leave out up front. Ronaldo can't be dropped for this one. Greenwood is presumably still out with Covid. So, either Sancho or Rashford...or for those who live their lives on the edge, Lingard? For me it's Sancho. The linkup play between Donny and Jadon setting up Ronaldo is too tasty a prospect to pass up. Once we get our shit sorted out we can bring Rashford back in with his superhuman athleticism, which hopefully someday his tactical awareness will catch up to.

But I have no idea what Carrick will want to do.

McSauce FC

I´d love to see him try a 433 like:

Rashford Ronaldo Sancho
VdB Matic Bruno

Talisker

My tuppence worth...

....................DdG
Dalot Lindelof Maguire Telles
...........Beek Matic Bruno
.......Sancho Cavani Ronaldo

Last edited:

Talisker

Is my maths correct in that, we could get beaten tomorrow night but a resounding win against Young Boys would see us through regardless?

USREDEVIL

I would love to see Maguire dropped. He's been shit. McTominay needs selling.

DeGea
AWB Lindelof Bally Shaw
VDB Matic
Bruno
Greenwood Ronnie Sancho