View full 2023-24 profile

4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

cpresc

He came back this season unfit and carried on the form he showed in the latter half of last season. Tactics didn't help of course. My concern when he returns is how long it takes him to get match fit, he's been a slow starter in his 2 seasons here. If he could get back that form he showed in the middle part of last season, I feel he and Mainoo could form a good partnership and give us that stability and shape we seem to be missing in midfield these days.
all this talk about Case being poor At the end of the season I think is inaccurate. I recall him being one of the main players to drag us over the line for CL qualification

Gordon S

No one has though, so why is it that he lost his legs but not Rashford?

There is just a weird panic here around anyone who is close to 30 when they should have a lot more in the tank. Fernandinho was at City until he was like 38 and Thiago Silva is still playing week in week out at 39. He may lose it, he may not - I think our set up is shocking and has been a nightmare for whoever plays in midfield. At least he was contributing in some way and was our top scorer before his injury so I wouldn't have him down as finished.
No one has what? Lost a yard when hitting 30?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Depending on how good he's when he comes back he might help save our season, well as much as it can be saved.

Josh 76

all this talk about Case being poor At the end of the season I think is inaccurate. I recall him being one of the main players to drag us over the line for CL qualification
He was poor after the cup final win.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Probably because we`ve been here before. He could have more to offer, feckin hope so, but he would not be the first player in history to lose that spring in his step at this age. When was the last time he looked world class for us? Barcelona in february? It is a rather long time now..
It's possible, yeah. But to me it looks like people's fears of players 'losing that spring in their step' applies selectively to those who transfer to the club near age 30, rather than to anyone who is near that age. It seems to be less about the players and more about the transfers.

Gordon S

It's possible, yeah. But to me it looks like people's fears of players 'losing that spring in their step' applies selectively to those who transfer to the club near age 30, rather than to anyone who is near that age. It seems to be less about the players and more about the transfers.
Rooney was a heated debate on here in his last 2-3 years with us, so it is not only new players.
It is more about the hierarchy in the team, or profile of a player. If a player of low profile, on low wages are being put to the side for not performing, it is not stirring emotions. But if your talismanic, first name on the team sheet, 300k per week captain keeps playing regardless of putting in below par performances week in week out. It is going to stir some emotions.

Casemiro comes in here with fantastic reputation, loads of experience and winning mentality. For loads of money, really high wages. He comes in here as some sort of saviour. A player that takes responsibilty and raises the level of the team. Week in and week out. The scrutiny is high, of course.
And we got everything we hoped for in the first season. He added quality defensively, in possession and in attack, we saw also a more expansive and sexy side of him we (maybe only me?) didn`t expect. Adding some much needed flair and character to the team. But, we haven`t seen those sides of him for a long time. I really hope he can come back reborn after his injury layoff and we can put to bed all concerns about him losing spring in his step. The team surely needs it. But at his age, and with all the high profile games he`s played over the years, i am concerned.

Abraxas

He has turned into a mistake. I think every time we do these "cherry on top of the cake" type signings we're going to lose out financially big time until they're coming into a team where they can integrate and play their part.

It doesn't work in football anymore to be buying one huge reputation player and thinking he'll save the day. Particularly an older one coming to a new league. We tried it with Varane for defence and Casemiro for midfield and neither is a roaring success.

My feeling is Casemiro would have been a valuable player if he was coming into an established team and playing his exact role. What he's actually tried to do is hold down a midfield on his own and play passes like Steven Gerrard because there's so much emphasis placed on them. Too much and hasn't got the legs or skillset for it.

We should avoid these kinds of profiles under Ratcliffe. Let's sort the recruitment structure out and actually do some homework. Build a team properly. Then if you need superstar signings for a specific role then okay but we put the cart before the horse.

SungSam7

He has turned into a mistake. I think every time we do these "cherry on top of the cake" type signings we're going to lose out financially big time until they're coming into a team where they can integrate and play their part.

It doesn't work in football anymore to be buying one huge reputation player and thinking he'll save the day. Particularly an older one coming to a new league. We tried it with Varane for defence and Casemiro for midfield and neither is a roaring success.

My feeling is Casemiro would have been a valuable player if he was coming into an established team and playing his exact role. What he's actually tried to do is hold down a midfield on his own and play passes like Steven Gerrard because there's so much emphasis placed on them. Too much and hasn't got the legs or skillset for it.

We should avoid these kinds of profiles under Ratcliffe. Let's sort the recruitment structure out and actually do some homework. Build a team properly. Then if you need superstar signings for a specific role then okay but we put the cart before the horse.
This is a very short memory and hindsight post.
His leadership skills proved valuable to the team last year. Without his input, we might not have got into the Champions League places.

Fair enough it hasn't worked out well for him this year, but to say it hasn't been money well spent, I'm sure he is at the back of the queue with Martinez considering the others we have wasted money on. Throw in Sancho, Antony, Onana and Mount. Those 4 alone have averaged what we spent on Casemiro but neither of them have come 1/10 of what Casemiro gave to the club.

Abraxas

This is a very short memory and hindsight post.
His leadership skills proved valuable to the team last year. Without his input, we might not have got into the Champions League places.

Fair enough it hasn't worked out well for him this year, but to say it hasn't been money well spent, I'm sure he is at the back of the queue with Martinez considering the others we have wasted money on. Throw in Sancho, Antony, Onana and Mount. Those 4 alone have averaged what we spent on Casemiro but neither of them have come 1/10 of what Casemiro gave to the club.
Nah, I remember how he played. He played well overall but it was still hit and miss last season. Let's not forget the games he tried to be Mr Hollywood and gave it away all the time. It was a good season, not great. He played a valuable part for sure.

But the point is 60 million for one season is a lot. So it's always a calculation when you're going for a 30 year old and the calculation isn't looking very good. That's not about hindsight that's about the very real prospect that your aging signings might struggle to pay off an investment which is what is happening as we speak, and every month he contributes the square root of nothing is extremely costly because he's a short term bet. It wouldn't be hindsight because these are the exact things that would make us apprehensive about the profile of signing to begin with.

Which is why I think we should not get involved in such things again over the next few years until we've a better platform. We need to build up a core of young to middle career players as it's clear this isn't a quick fix.

Stuu

I think the stuff about his legs going is overblown. Since he's been out teams still waltz right through the middle of us which points to the setup. The only time it didn't happen was the defensive approach against Liverpool.

aeh1991

Good to see him back in training. I'm confident that he will bring quality back to the midfield. Very exciting to see him and Mainoo together.

Red Rash

Hope he stays and can recover last seasons form. It would completely transform our midfield.

dutchred

With Mainoo to help him with defending and reducing his workload we can see some of his attacking strenghts as well. With him and Mainoo I would like to see Eriksen at #10

Paul778

I'm going to go mental if we get Casemiro back and Mainoo drops to the bench. For first 60 mins of games it needs to be both

United888

I'm going to go mental if we get Casemiro back and Mainoo drops to the bench. For first 60 mins of games it needs to be both
Mainoo started in our first four pre seasons games including the arsenal and Real Madrid game. He also started Mainoo alongside Casemiro vs Real Madrid. I think Mainoo was always been in ten hag’s plan to start in the first league game vs wolves. I think we might see Bruno Mainoo Casemiro (if Casemiro can reach full fitness).

Trequarista10

Yup they need to play together as much as possible.

I'm reluctant to write off Casemiro whilst we're playing him behind some combination of Bruno, Eriksen, Mount and McTominay none of whom can protect the defence, and expecting him to carry the midfield on his own.

Bondi77

Hopefully he can be the DM and just do the simple things and give the ball to Kobbie when he gets it.
I hope he has brushed up on his tackling technique and has tightened up on his passing as it was wayward before he got injured.

Marwood

Perfect or not it can't be denied he's a big influence on the pitch. Always very involved.

Marwood

Legs have gone. Needs to retire from intl football if he's going to be any use. Doubt he will....
Yeah maybe but even so, when he's on the pitch, he's still an influential player for us. He very rarely has a quiet game. One way or another he has an impact.

Bobski

Would assume he will start the cup game and depending on how he looks possibly the Wolves match. Concern is that he is a slow starter after a break and that he looked crap to start the season so no idea what to expect from him.

A lot of people seem to want the Mainoo/Cas midfield but given ETH's predilections that might end up with Cas pushed high up. He is a goal threat but that tends to be more from set pieces or crosses rather than making runs from deep, might not have the legs for that type of role. Ten Hag finally admitting his set up is shit and playing 2 deeper midfielders is unlikely.

united for life

Hopefully he can be the DM and just do the simple things and give the ball to Kobbie when he gets it.
I hope he has brushed up on his tackling technique and has tightened up on his passing as it was wayward before he got injured.
people are getting too excited about pairing him with Mainoo. Playing both would mean one of them would need to play the #8 role, i think you are suggesting Mainoo does that, but i don’t think any of them is a #8. Using them together in games where we need to defend more than attack (this should anyway be limited) is the only reasonable time to start both. I actually think Mainoo is the long term replacement of Casemiro. Rotate both this year, it is anyway not fair to just throw mainoo into a regular starter position at this young age.

we still desperately need a number 8.

RedKath

Good to see him back in training. I'm confident that he will bring quality back to the midfield. Very exciting to see him and Mainoo together.
I have this horrible sinking feeling that he is going to use Case as Mainoo’s replacement and vice versa. Irrespective of the pre season team make up.

Paul778

I have this horrible sinking feeling that he is going to use Case as Mainoo’s replacement and vice versa. Irrespective of the pre season team make up.
100%. The evidence is that he will stick with a 1 man midfield. I know he's not great but how many times has he played Amrabat and Mainoo together? When both we're available it was normally a straight swap subs wise, even thought mainoo is very capable at ball progression.

poleglass red

I’m surprised many have totally written Casemiro off based on a handful of games this season.
more so how he finished last season and that carried on into early part of this season. He wasn't fit at the start of this season, and playing when not fit can lead to injuries which we saw happened to him. Be interesting how ETH plays him, I think even if he's fully fit, his days as a 6 are probably over, he's better utilized a bit higher. I'd still be concerned though with a lack of pace in central mid, and the ability of those there to track runners

3KDré

56% pass completion. Against a League 2 side! We can't go forward with a DM that gives the ball every second pass.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
56% pass completion. Against a League 2 side! We can't go forward with a DM that gives the ball every second pass.
66%. 31/47.

Saudi will hopefully pay enough in the summer, at least.

Dve

Yes, he's been out for a while, but frankly, this is exactly how he's been looking this season, sloppy and unhinged. I think people that couldn't wait for his return, have forgotten how bad we was before his injury (bar two games).

Superunknown

It's like having a HGV in midfield. With half a tank of petrol. And one that keeps breaking down or runs too many pedestrians over.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If that's Casemiro's level for the rest of his contract, it would be nice for us to be parted (and get some money back), and he can rack up serious money and adulation in Saudi's League.

mu4c_20le

We need to sign young hungry players with an engine, or we will never control games.

Atheist

Is he good enough for Saudi league in his current form? I’m not sure he is.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I really hope Saudi are desperate enough to take him. Should never have been signed, a prime example of the financial mess we're in.

Roboc7

He may not be completely finished but there isn’t a lot left in the tank and wouldn’t be a big miss if he could be moved on, especially on those wages. He needs to play much better and hardly miss a game for there to even be consideration of keeping him.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
He's always been a slow starter when coming back from injury or suspension. Wouldn't be writing him off just yet.