View full 2023-24 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards

Dorris

I will start by saying yes he fecked up. But, Maguire shouldnt have passed him the ball there.

We recreate this situation a lot. You will see a cluster of players together and the person on the ball rather than look for a way out of that cluster, they make a pass right into it. Contrast this to how teams play us, they always look to escape our cluster and find the free man.

Maguire either goes to Dalot or tries a pass to Rashford through the lines.

by the time Casemiro has it he is in trouble.
A good on the ball holding midfielder deals with that with ease, and there lies the problem.

Dannn411

Why are people going on about his age like you are done for at 31. Plenty of players in their 30's doing just fine and don't need to be wrapped in cotton wool. Jorginho, De Bruyne, Van Dijk, Pascal Gross, Milner, Lallana, Trippier for example.
I don't know about others but I am not excusing his horrendous performances to his "legs". He is just playing poorly and making decisions that would have schoolboys permanently benched. Simple as that.

Reddevildans

I think there's an air of selective invincibility about him in that if he makes mistakes he knows he will keep getting picked again and again just because he's been a top player before. For that you can only blame ten hag for not rotating him enough. Even against crystal Palace in the cup he played most of the game.

He hasn't been great since February and has only shown glimpses of class in a few games. He needs to be rotated and shown the bench more.

RedUnited86

Moves like he's running through treacle and is a red card waiting to happen every game. How at 31 years of age and 73 caps to his name he still thinks it's a good idea to go sliding into every tackle is beyond me.

We had 6 good months out of him, if Saudi don't come calling he's going to be a financial nightmare to get rid of.

Kramer

He can contribute if his minutes are managed, he absolutely can not be allowed to play more than 1 game a week
This is the most imp thing. He will play himself into better form hopefully.

But he’s a player (like Varane) where the minutes need to be managed.

God I miss Sir Alex. He was an absolute master at managing minutes for players in their 30s. (among the so many other things he was great at of course).

jem

Love him but if a Saudi offer came in in January, we’d be mad not to take it.

RedStarUnited

Nah it's perfectly ok for Maguire to pass him the ball there. For once Maguire went vertical instead of sideway and people saying he should not.

If you watch other teams play CB pass vertically to DM/CM a lot in order to accelerate the building. Casemiro was not marked. He just fecked up that's all.
He isnt marked but from Brentford perspective he is in a perfectly set pressing trap by them. They want Maguire to make the pass so they can spring on him. Knowing full well that Casemiro will have a hard time getting out of there.

Holy hell no he is not in trouble. That is an easy as feck pass any player of his supposed caliber should be able to make easy. He has been trash this year, save for his random goals.
I started by saying by saying Casemiro fecked up. But if I am Maguire and I train with him every week, I know his ball playing capability and I dont pass the ball there.

Devil81

I'm sure the Saudi's will be interested in taking him over there, he is one player I suspect would be more than comfortable moving to that league.

criticalanalysis

He isnt marked but from Brentford perspective he is in a perfectly set pressing trap by them. They want Maguire to make the pass so they can spring on him. Knowing full well that Casemiro will have a hard time getting out of there.

I started by saying by saying Casemiro fecked up. But if I am Maguire and I train with him every week, I know his ball playing capability and I dont pass the ball there.
For whats its worth, I agree. It's not a hospital pass but considering the options, it's a bad choice of pass from Maguire, especially as Casemiro was set in his position and didn't have that much time to react/turn his body. Case definitely fecked up but in that situation it's simply not a pass you make unless you were playing extremely well and everyone is in the zone. A bit similar to the De Gea pass to Maguire at Seville. Relative high risk with relative low reward even if Casemiro gets a pass through.

Having said that, whilst it's unfortunate and unfair, it might make Casemiro realise he's need to be careful with the ball from now on and position himself to be more conservative with it, so it could be a 'blessing in disguise' redcafe TM.

fallengt

red cards've ruined him. Reality hit hard when you don't have Real Madrid protection

TheRedHearted

He's starting every game, two games most weeks. He can't do it. He needs to start once a week maximum throughout the season. Consider playing him twice a week sparingly when there are crucial back to back games. I won't write him as over the hill unless it's clear he can't handle playing once a week.

Older players simply need more rest.
And it’s as if people don’t see the majority of the team making complete brain fart decisions, massive mistakes and everyone looks tired
I don't know about others but I am not excusing his horrendous performances to his "legs". He is just playing poorly and making decisions that would have schoolboys permanently benched. Simple as that.
This statement could have been written for Dalot, Onana, Bruno, rashford
Moves like he's running through treacle and is a red card waiting to happen every game. How at 31 years of age and 73 caps to his name he still thinks it's a good idea to go sliding into every tackle is beyond me.

We had 6 good months out of him, if Saudi don't come calling he's going to be a financial nightmare to get rid of.
How much would caicedo have cost beginning of last season?

they better be scouting for his replacement and if Amrabat is the answer then they better have a 20-30 million youngster lined up for backup

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I think the one takeaway from yesterday will be what to do with Casemiro. He’s becoming an actual net negative, despite weirdly being our top goalscorer in all comps. Not sure whether his goose is cooked, or we are just seeing a bad run of form.

stoinz

We lost 4 games out of 6 in September so not sure if that counts for much…

Honestly I can’t tell if it’s application or a decline, maybe a bit of both.

Either way I don’t see what he is adding at the moment (beyond goals but that isn’t sustainabable) If anything is being in the 11 is a detriment and counter to the style of football we want to play.

If he can sort himself out fast and Amrabat alongside him solves our midfield issue then maybe it’s worth persisting, but given his age we need to start finding a replacement quickly anyway.
Yes we do need to find a replacement and that's is why I'm really against signing players that is in the tale end of their career. But I would argue that he can still be useful for us now if we use him correctly. He still have it in him to pull off world class performances but just not two games per week playing in between a disjointed defense and a world class turnover machine.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think that Ten Hag needs to manage him better in terms of minutes played.

He just plays every game every minutes and this is not possible.

Hope that after the international break he can have a rest for a game or two and coming of the bench as he needs to rest a bit.

Think his issue is with fitness as I saw him ok for 60 minutes during the games but not more.

OrcaFat

I think there's an air of selective invincibility about him in that if he makes mistakes he knows he will keep getting picked again and again just because he's been a top player before. For that you can only blame ten hag for not rotating him enough. Even against crystal Palace in the cup he played most of the game.

He hasn't been great since February and has only shown glimpses of class in a few games. He needs to be rotated and shown the bench more.
Enter Amrabat. EtH brought him specifically to challenge Casemiro.

Case will absolutely be benched imo. He will get minutes and may be able to fight and get his place back but he will know he is in a scrap for no6.

gregor

It is difficult to judge player performances playing in dysfunctional team, which United is at the moment.

I think he is still good enough for United, but needs to be managed more carefully. He played too much last season, but Ten Hag didn't have other options. With Amrabat in I hope there will be opportunity to give Casemiro a rest in some matches.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

I think it's mostly because he is Ten Hag's signing. All of his signings are playing virtually every game when fit, the only exception being Malacia who had been signed to be a back up anyway.

GueRed

Arguably our best player last season.
This season thus far bloody hell he has got to be the most frustrating player to watch.

Maybe it's because of his role change this season? which is more of a box to box player... He's definitely roaming forward a lot more these days.

Sometimes he has been good, other times he has been absolute dogshit!

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Wish he'd just pull out of the Brazil squad for this international break, take a rest and get his head right.

Something has really gone wrong with the way he is approaching the game at the moment.

poleglass red

This season thus far bloody hell he has got to be the most frustrating player to watch.

Maybe it's because of his role change this season? which is more of a box to box player... He's definitely roaming forward a lot more these days.

I think that notion gets a bit overplayed a little on here, there was a spell where he was top class last season, but after that last suspension, his finish to last season was poor, very poor in fact. People on here argued he's a player that needs to play to stay match fit. He looked exhausted down the home stretch yet between his 2 suspensions he missed 7 games, now we are saying he needs a rest. He's had one good game this season, the cup match against Palace B team. He can't be a box a box, he doesn't have the legs to track back. As a 6, he loses the ball to often in dangerous positions at the edge of our box. I think at this point he needs to be dropped, and used in the role McT played when he came on v Brentford. Casemiro is very dangerous in the air, and a good option if we are chasing a game.

redcucumber

As good as he was last year, £65m on a 30 year old midfielder is insanity. It's peak United post Fergie and the sort of short-termism you very much hope we steer away from moving forward.

Apokalips

red cards've ruined him. Reality hit hard when you don't have Real Madrid protection
I find it funny how the concern of him slide tackling and getting yellows for soft but late tackles contradicts the narrative of how rough and tumble the PL is and how guys like Messi or Neymar would struggle in our big bad league.

redcucumber

I find it funny how the concern of him slide tackling and getting yellows for soft but late tackles contradicts the narrative of how rough and tumble the PL is and how guys like Messi or Neymar would struggle in our big bad league.
One of his reds he literally throttled the opposition player around the neck, to be fair. There is definitely an added intensity to the PL.

MegadrivePerson

For the first half of the season I'd agree, but he hasn't looked the same player since he came back from the world cup. He's been mostly poor since January. I called it at the time and got shot down for doing so.

He looks shot physically. We're lucky that because of his name and reputation we'll get a decent Saudi offer for him. Hopefully it's sooner rather than later.

El Zoido

I don’t believe his legs have gone, I think there’s potential for him to get back to the quality we saw from him in the first half of last season.

Paddymcc

He was fantastic in part last season and probably my player of the year.

However he has a lot of mileage under his belt over his career (560+ games) let alone playing about 50 games for us and 10 games for Brazil.

As much as i like him when hes on his game i'd be making plans to move him on at the end of the season.

tomaldinho1

You're about a decade late here. Look at the amount of crap young Cristiano put up with compared to someone more recent who liked to dribble at players. PL now you can buy a foul for almost anything.

Marwood

The positive thing is that ETH can clearly see an issue there and is prepared to do something about it. You don't sub a big name player at half time if not.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He just needs a rest. Casemiro is famous for being incredibly disciplined with his body and fitness. I don’t believe for a second his legs are gone or he’s finished. He’s notoriously slow to start a season, even at Madrid. He played a ton of football last two years. With Madrid all the way to the CL final, then a huge number of games for United as our key player, the winter World Cup, then full pre-season, then nearly every game and minute this season - where he’s been forced to cover more ground and do more than ever due to an initial change in system.

The guy just needs a break.

As the injury crisis eases, we should probably revert to the 4-2-3-1 of last season, giving him a proper partner, and rotate some games where he sits on the bench for Amrabat. Casemiro is a physical specimen, and plays a position that I think he can continue to dominate until he is 33 or 34, as long as he’s a true DM and mainly sitting and screening. He’s acted more of a box to box this season, hence him being our joint top scorer.

I have no concerns about this being a permanent decline. Just long term fatigue, coupled with increased demands of his role.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
He doesn’t need rest, Casemiro has to start playing like an adult.

You can’t be the anchor of a midfielder and keep abandoning station, then expect to get a proper read of the game.

Maybe it’s the tactics exposing him or he is taking the piss. Either way he should be able to sort himself out.

mintyred

I don't think Casemiro's legs have gone, I think that's a bit of a lazy remark. I think his issues are for multiple reasons.

• The players he's playing next to in midfield. He's playing in midfield by himself a lot due to the other two going wandering.
  • He doesn't seem to look after himself well off the pitch. He really enjoyed himself over pre-season. Not to stereotypes but a lot of Brazilians are like this.
  • He doesn't suit Ten Hag's system. He seems to do better in more tactically free teams.
  • He's a bit lazy. I don't mean he won't run, I mean he often seems to take the easiest option so he doesn't have to work as hard. For example, trying to smash someone to end the attack immediately so he doesn't have to track back.
  • Not fully adjusting to the PL. It might sound weird, but I don't think he has yet.
There are lots of positives to having him around but it's sad to say that we have to think about replacing a 60M player that we got last season already.

KD6-3.7

If only we got him a few years earlier, at least that way his fee could have been more justified. But also he has downgraded massively from playing with the likes of Modric and Kroos who are among the finest midfielders of all time which allowed him to focus on what he does best. Now we have him playing with Bruno and Mount, two attacking midfielders trying to play as No.8s but don’t really have the technical ability and passing ability required for that role.

We desperately needed someone like De Jong, Gundogan or even a Rodri type player next to him, but now we are going to be in a position where we still need someone of that mold as well as a replacement for Casemiro.