g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
This will backfire on LFC-FA as it will galvanise our squad into "us against the world" mentality and drive us towards winning the league.

FattyFooty

I really think racism is bad.

I also think wrongly blaming people for it is bad.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I hope he doesn't miss the Liverpool game. I think his intelligence could tear that Philips guy apart, if he plays.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
When are the shirts being printed then.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
I am starkly surprised by some of the comments here. This is the "minimum" punishment he could have received after being charged. There was no way that the FA would have let this go.

Letting this go would have been tantamount to setting up a precedence for players/clubs to use "lack of intent" as a get out of jail card even when the act was perpetrated with malicious intent. It is clear that Cavani has fallen prey to the general condition within football where racism is rampant and any act of letting players accused of racist behavior get off without punishment would be a step in the wrong direction.

It is unfair for Cavani but I think it is the right decision by him and the club to not contest it. Nothing good will come out of that.
I agree with this but with a kind-of this is the way the world is skepticism.

To be honest, I think it's as much an intent at curbing racism as it is a PR mission for the FA who themselves haven't been shown in the best of light recently (the Greg Clarke resignation).

There is some personal bias though as I work for an organisation who were accused of racism for [reasons]. It wasn't really IMO. It was uncouth and stupid decision-making but since then the agenda has been to curb racism at all avenues where it might exist, even in cases where it doesn't.

Edit - But you're right, it is difficult and a precedence has been set so they have to follow. Cavani and the club would be wrong to lodge an appeal because it looks bad on all sides.

Last edited:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am sorry but all I can think of is feck this FA. They can't understand that he said Negrito to a friend.... Not as a derogatory statement but thats what his native language has

If there was something which needed fixing, its fecking FA
The FA have to have a blanket rule.

Even the City player who made bantery comments to his black team mate got a ban.
It'd be the same if a white player referred to a friend as the n word too.

Otherwise you're opening up a grey area where "it was meant friendly" is the alibi.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Some classic posts in this thread.

90 + 5min

No, you don't. You can and in this case, you must fight against it. Because we and him are now labelled as some kind of racists or at least ignorant fools. You must clear your name and by accepting this fine, you admit that you did something wrong.
You can't win war against TheFA. Once they decide something they don't back down. They don't know meaning of "we were wrong".

It is stupid decision and puts this whole thing in another light. People will be watching like hawks and paying attention to every word people say/post and look for something that seems abusive to repport. Where has TheFA drawn the line? Is this taking care of society. If so, there are lot of other issues they should ban people for.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He didnt contest the charge according to Andy Mitten so he won't be appealing.

Albin Johansson

It's quite harsh given the circumstances but at least the scousers won't continue complaining over the fact that suarez as given a ban as well (albeit they don't seem to see the difference in context). All things considered maybe it's for the better that this type of language isn't used although this time it was clearly a case of cultural differences rather than intended abuse. Can see him returning against Liverpool and tear their defence apart. With the cup games coming this may even have been quite well timed. Let Elanga, Laird, Pellistri, etc. run the show in the cup and rest some of our MVP's before liverpool.

IRELANDUNITED

A little break could be exactly what Edi needs, despite the fact he's still super fit he is 33 and his legs will start to go towards the end of the season. A little rest now for a couple of weeks is exactly what he needs, cheers FA!

izzydiggler

Foreigner uses word in friendly way on social media in his own language that is apparently culturally acceptable where he is from...I mean I can see why it’s an issue and that you would want to dissuade players from using such words but dishing out fines/bans with no thought of context is just a recipe for disaster further down the line.

KW2006

I am starkly surprised by some of the comments here. This is the "minimum" punishment he could have received after being charged. There was no way that the FA would have let this go.

Letting this go would have been tantamount to setting up a precedence for players/clubs to use "lack of intent" as a get out of jail card even when the act was perpetrated with malicious intent. It is clear that Cavani has fallen prey to the general condition within football where racism is rampant and any act of letting players accused of racist behavior get off without punishment would be a step in the wrong direction.

It is unfair for Cavani but I think it is the right decision by him and the club to not contest it. Nothing good will come out of that.
I believe Bernardo Silva was being banned for only 1 match for an arguably 'worse' twitter post?

So what are your basis when saying it is "minimum punishment"?

peridigm

Missing Villa, City (League Cup) and Watford (FA Cup)
Not the worst.
Could be Burnley if our City match is postponed. Does not look to be happening at this time. He should be nice and rested for Liverpool.

Superden

:lol: There's nothing in my post that's 'passive'. You can fully take it I think what you wrote was complete nonsense and that you sound like some self-absorbed preacher. Now, your original nonsense about 'bigger and better' is some proper passive aggressive stuff and it's quite the irony you fail to see it.

As for the FA being better at passing judgment, they've shown time and again they're not an institution you can trust on the matter.

Not difficult to understand, tbh. They have guidelines about public conduct, the same way your employer can sack you off if you commit a crime.
bigger and better for (assuming he was honest about his intentions, i have no reason to doubt it) falling foul of the 'expected standards' of another culture as determined by the FA and their codes of conduct. nothing passive aggressive about that. the judgement i made was welcoming Utd's response. dont see why 'fans' are ranting and raving about it when clearly the player and the club see the matter as closed (they didnt contest the charge or choose to appeal the outcome), pending clarification from the FA that they do not see Cavani as racist.

Camilo

All so pathetic. Nothing to do with racism, and this is the result. A joke society, far more interested in appearing anti racist than actually taking racism seriously.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
This will sound stupid but how FA can ban you for something which you did in your private time?
Depends on the offence. If he flouted rules re alcohol,drugs etc then he’d be banned. All players sign up to it.

FreddieTheReddie

I blame the club for not giving him a list of words that he should never use on social media in any context, especially considering we now live in the days of social witch hunts and public shaming. This can't be the first "social faux pas" they've had from a player totally unaccustomed to English culture.
Maybe they did give him a list including two n words but as nergrito is not an English word and doesn’t mean what the other n words do, they didn’t think FA could have problem with it.

The Urban Goose

We can only deal with this in one way - t-shirts. I think the boys can show their respect and admiration for Edi with wearing T-shirts. It is a great reflection of the man as a character, a person and a footballer that the boys will be so supportive and so will the supporters. He has earned that, has deserved it and we will always stand beside him. They will not divide the football club, no matter how hard they try.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly. All this "must fight the corrupt FA!!!!" shite is like something from RAWK.
You are not fighting against corruption or trying to change the world. You are fighting for your dignity ffs.
Ok, it is easy for me now to say it but if i was Cavani, i would not accept this fine calmly. It is not situation where you are robbed for penalty or where you got too many games for red card. This is not about football at all.
I stand behind what i said; if club accepts this (and they will) then i will be very disappointed

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So he's out the next league, league up, and FA cup matches only, and should be available for Pool yes ?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
bigger and better for (assuming he was honest about his intentions, i have no reason to doubt it) falling foul of the 'expected standards' of another culture as determined by the FA and their codes of conduct. nothing passive aggressive about that. the judgement i made was welcoming Utd's response. dont see why 'fans' are ranting and raving about it when clearly the player and the club see the matter as closed (they didnt contest the charge or choose to appeal the outcome), pending clarification from the FA that they do not see Cavani as racist.
Fair enough.

I don't necessarily think the ban is unexpected or shocking due to the guidelines being there but I just despise the lack of nuance in these conversations nowadays.

My biggest gripe with this is how long it's taken which seems to be purposeful in causing the biggest impact on the player since he was injured for long enough that this ban would have been inconsequential.

Withnail

I believe Bernardo Silva was being banned for only 1 match for an arguably 'worse' twitter post?

So what are your basis when saying it is "minimum punishment"?
The minimum punishment for this type of offence is now 3 days.

This was brought in after Bernardo Silva's case.

lysglimt

Scout
I think what you are trying to say is - JACKPOT! :)

The Villa-game he wouldnt have started
The City-game he wouldnt have started
The Watford-game - we wont need him anyway

Judas

Open to offers
You are not fighting against corruption or trying to change the world. You are fighting for your dignity ffs.
Ok, it is easy for me now to say it but if i was Cavani, i would not accept this fine calmly. It is not situation where you are robbed for penalty or where you got too many games for red card. This is not about football at all.
I stand behind what i said; if club accepts this (and they will) then i will be very disappointed
Prepare to be disappointed then. In life you learn when to fight a battle and when not to, you have to see the bigger picture.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't understand why these top players don't just leave their accounts to their PR staff.
The risk v reward seems ridiculously ill balanced.
Most of em seem to leave the pics to a social media manager, but a lot of their stories seem to be their own.