Cavani gets 3 match ban from FA for his social media post

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s saying “I love you El Matador” which is Cavani’s nickname.

This is all just a perfect example of English arrogance. Nobody would have been upset or offended if they left it.
Aye, it's just sort of funny that they have a perfect example of things not translating directly into English well but keep doing it.

Doracle

No. It is certainly not like this. With the aggravated breach clause added, it is very clear that FA has accused him of being racist in the context of the post. It does not matter if FA thinks he is not racist otherwise, but they think in the context of the post, he was being racist.

Which is basically a big fat lie.
The FA accepted:

- Cavani’s friend was white;
- His nickname since he was a child was negrito and that he also called his own son that;
- He was not in any way offended by it;
- The phrase could commonly be used in Uruguay in a friendly way;
- Cavani did not intend to be racist or offensive.

That’s the context in which he was handed a ban for an aggravated offence.

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Fcuk the FA. Gammony backwards looking little Englanders.

This country gets exactly what it deserves.

It’s cool if you disagree. But take a look at their Board photo before any argument.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Love how suddenly out of nowhere the FA have dropped this nugget that it's down to the club to provide this training, surely something like that in order to ensure all clubs are doing the same should come from a governing body?

Daonico

"hey Cavani, neither you nor your actions were racist... here, have a ban and a fine because some people who knows nothing of your language and culture can missunderstand
ah, speaking of that, we completely mistranslate your frient's message
cheers!"

alexthelion

The he knew that racism isn't about his view of his language it is about the view of those offended. He agreed to those rules..

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, i'm just saying it's not so simple as saying lets use his view of the world.
Really stop posting, you haven't a clue, mate.

Daonico

Spanish: "Así te quiero, matador"
English: "That's how I like you, killer"
Google english : " I love you that way, matador"
FA English: "I love you like a bull fighter” wtf does this even mean?!

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Después de haber invadido cientos de países y de haberse enriquecido con los despojos ahora se creen que son la reserva moral del mundo.

Son una desgracia.

alexthelion

The FA have made a fair share of boneheaded decisions over the years, buy this isn't one of them. The club was completely right not to appeal as well. Unless people think it would be great for team spirit if Cavani was to go around calling his teammates 'little blackies', United fans should be in agreement with the ban in principle. I don't care for what demeaning words cultures have appropriated as terms of indearment, and certainly latin american societies aren't on any moral high ground in how humans should communicate or treat each other in this age.
What?

The FA agreed it wasn't racist but still charged him, banned him and fined him just because someone with no idea of the language might have found it offensive. And you're still alright with that?

Feck me!

UnrelatedPsuedo

Stop. Translating. Literally.

If you switch English terms to Greek/Spanish/French/German/Italian... they make no sense.

This little Englander view of the world has to stop. There are so many words that could have got Becks, Owen, Hargreaves, Bale, Sancho in trouble overseas if someone was stupid enough to translate literally.

That’s not how languages work. I speak 3. I sound like a child in two of them at times. Many times while holding a professional business call. It happens.

Cavani did nothing wrong. The FA is an archaic entity that has just made a reductive and racist decision.

HarryRedCrumbs

1984? Following the trend? Shitting themselves?

Nonsense. They just have a zero tolerence policy. You and others in society who are outraged and offended by this will have to learn to live with it and watch it evolve. There has historically been willful ignorance by certain groups in our society (and many others) and now there is a movement to listen to those with less power and understand their experience and what we as a society can do to change things. It is good and noble and should be applauded. And undoubtedly there will be some clumsy things attempted from time to time and some unforeseen negatives but overall I believe one should be happy to side with this and its outcomes.

Lets be clear here, Icemav. I’m neither outraged nor offended. I’m merely disappointed at their decision and their blunt, awkward way of dealing with such a momentous issue. I’m also embarrassed at how the FA has made English football look to the world, suggesting that we have no understanding of cultural differences at all and are an ignorant country. Not to mention labelling a world class footballer as racist and in doing so suggesting the entire Latin culture is racist by proxy(yes, I know the FA have now said that he wasn't being racist but they have already punished him and lit the bonfire). Personally I think the FA should have started tackling racism a long time ago when it was much worse, and I don’t really think they are doing much to tackle it now, they just want to stamp it out on their own doorstep so that it goes somewhere else and they cover themselves against any libel actions. It's like working for any corporation, they are controlling what people can or can’t say purely to protect themselves. Zero tolerance is not how you solve anything. Life does not work that way. Fascism does. Life is full of subtle (and not so subtle) differences.

You say that you’re happy to side with something like this. Happy to side with a box-ticking technique from a clumsy organisation that probably has so many skeletons in it’s closet it could set up an entirely new league with them, and you want them to teach us how to speak? Do you actually want to live in a world where people have to be trained what to say? Where you can’t refer to the colour of someones skin? And you laugh at my reference to 1984… it’s my opinion that you are being mentally lazy. Reading through some of your posts, it sounds like you have spent a bit too long reading books or the internet, and not enough time getting out and meeting people. You don’t even know where Cavani is from and you clearly have no experience of Latin culture. I’ve spent quite a bit of time in South America. Brazil, Chile, Argentina, and across the river in Uruguay. Not to mention Mexico, Peru, Colombia, Costa Rica… The world does not revolve around England.

Have you read the statement from Uruguays Academia Nacional de Letras? Unless you can read Spanish you will have to use something like GoogleTranslate, but be careful… Languages don’t translate word for word.

http://www.academiadeletras.gub.uy/...e-la-sancion-a-edinson-cavani?parentid=123710

How about any of the FA’s handbooks? Reading through the Essential Information For Players handbook (which is available in English, French and Dutch; perfect for our international Premier League, don’t worry about all the other nationalities). It really is zero tolerance. The subtitles of life will not come in to it…no no no.

One of the points in the handbook states - Only use words phrases and images that you are 100% sure of the meaning of - ignorance will not be a defence. Well clearly being 100% sure about your own language isn’t a defence either.

Last edited:

Daonico

Stop. Translating. Literally.

If you switch English terms to Greek/Spanish/French/German/Italian... they make no sense.

This little Englander view of the world has to stop. There are so many words that could have got Becks, Owen, Hargreaves, Bale, Sancho in trouble overseas if someone was stupid enough to translate literally.

That’s not how languages work. I speak 3. I sound like a child in two of them at times. Many times while holding a professional business call. It happens.

Cavani did nothing wrong. The FA is an archaic entity that has just made a reductive and racist decision.
I am just trying to show that the FA is policing a language in which they can't even get the meaning of a simple phrase right...

UnrelatedPsuedo

I am just trying to show that the FA is policing a language in which they can't even get the meaning of a simple phrase right...
Then I apologise to you.

I was responding to your closing line of “What does this even mean”.

I said it earlier in the thread, Cavani should use the same language for the rest of his career. He used it at Napoli. At PSG. The FA is broken. It’s racist by accident and ineptitude.

Hedgie

Thanks for whoever posted up the full FA text.

The entire farce is centered on the FA "Facts" para 6. The crux of the entire FA argument rests on the contention of the language expert who decided "English native speakers unfamiliar with South American culture would be likely to take offence to the words used."

This is wholy unjustifiable and untenable. If you are ignorant of a foreign word it is incumbent on you to educate yourself on its full meaning before being in a position to make any judgement. To claim offence is by logic to remain in ignorance. To imagine that the whole case is being upheld to support this ignorance.

Lost for words here...

Oranges038

Después de haber invadido cientos de países y de haberse enriquecido con los despojos ahora se creen que son la reserva moral del mundo.

Son una desgracia.

I don't speak Spanish. Is this Google translate accurate? It couldn't be right. Could it?

"After having invaded hundreds of countries and getting rich off the spoils, they now believe that they are the moral reserve of the world.

They are a disgrace"

OldTrevil

Indeed, we latin americans need the British society to teach us how to communicate or treat each other.

Thank you for making very clear how you think. Asshole.
Well done for putting words in my mouth. No where in your response does it show that you understood what I wrote, let alone knowing what I think. And I'm the asshole, how ironic. You're not shining a good light on latin american society that's for sure

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
Well done for putting words in my mouth. No where in your response does it show that you understood what I wrote, let alone knowing what I think. And I'm the asshole, how ironic. You're not shining a good light on latin american society that's for sure
Of course, one post makes the whole latin america look bad

You may not hate people by their color, but you certainly hate them by the group they belong.

Bite me.

OldTrevil

What?

The FA agreed it wasn't racist but still charged him, banned him and fined him just because someone with no idea of the language might have found it offensive. And you're still alright with that?

Feck me!
I simply don't agree that we should all be cool with negrito being thrown around, and it being a term of endearment in south american spanish

Stop making nonsensical hypothetical situations. If Rashford missed a sitter and he called him a "stupid negrito", all the fans would be wanting him gone from the team and FA would have handed him 8-10 match ban or something.

The context is very important.
He said it on social media, where all or most of his teammates must have seen it. Friendly or not, its one of those words based on skin color or appearance that I wouldn't want a teammate of mine throwing around, whether or not it's accepted in his culture

Of course, one post makes the whole latin america look bad

You may not hate people by their color, but you certainly hate them by the group they belong.

Bite me.
So you stopped short of calling me racist, and went with xenophobe instead, based on a completely made up inference from what I said :lol:

Denis' cuff

I don't speak Spanish. Is this Google translate accurate? It couldn't be right. Could it?

"After having invaded hundreds of countries and getting rich off the spoils, they now believe that they are the moral reserve of the world.

They are a disgrace"
what a stupid post.

Although agree with the final sentiment.

HarryRedCrumbs

The FA have made a fair share of boneheaded decisions over the years, buy this isn't one of them. The club was completely right not to appeal as well. Unless people think it would be great for team spirit if Cavani was to go around calling his teammates 'little blackies', United fans should be in agreement with the ban in principle. I don't care for what demeaning words cultures have appropriated as terms of indearment, and certainly latin american societies aren't on any moral high ground in how humans should communicate or treat each other in this age.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here because I think you have missed the point entirely. If anything, Utd fans should be in disagreement with the decision because he is not guilty of anything. He didn't say anything derogatory, and had no intention of offending anyone.

I think you're falling in to this trap of translating words for words and not understanding what you're offended by. If anyone thinks they are on a moral high ground, it's the FA.

RedDevil@84

Friendly or not, its one of those words based on skin color or appearance that I wouldn't want a teammate of mine throwing around, whether or not it's accepted in his culture
:lol: :lol: .
Ban United from PL because some of our players call Bailly as "Black Panther". Racist bunch of twats.

Member 101269

Really stop posting, you haven't a clue, mate.
You're entitled to your view.. i don't agree with you, neither does the prof and the FA (although for different and similar reasons).

So they agreed he wasn't being racist, but still gave him 3 match ban.
The point being it's about how words can be interpreted.

This is exactly why i've lost respect for the FA. Someone was offended by the notion that if you didnt check a post you're an idiot. Which implies dyslexics are idiots, the FA did nothing..

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Let's not go crazy here, black panther is not comparable to negrito
And negrito isn't racist word in South America. FA knew the context and still banned him. Infact it's the FA which should be accused of ignorance and complete disregard of other countries culture. This ban is just virtue signalling bullshit and achieves absolutely nothing. Discrimination on the basis of colour is racism, but now even acknowledging someone's colour in absolutely any context ( including sarcasm) is deemed racism. It's a huge disservice to people who are actually a victim of racism.

Fluctuation0161

Love how suddenly out of nowhere the FA have dropped this nugget that it's down to the club to provide this training, surely something like that in order to ensure all clubs are doing the same should come from a governing body?
The FA are absolute feckwits.

How often do they release follow up information criticising clubs?

I'm annoyed that the FA would publically state it, but I also think the club should have done some social media training.

Stacks

If people cannot refer to skin colour while playing football in England, would Rashford for example, get suspended if he posted a picture on his Instagram of Viv Anderson and said something to the tune of "my idol Viv Anderson, first black footballer to play for England etc" I'd imagine the guidelines are clear.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Well thats a shame, I thought it was one of my more nuanced posts. Though I will admit to my massive ignorance on most subjects.

Apologies about the Uraguay and Equador mix up, surprising as I have read more on Uraguay in the last few days than at any other point in my life, even a excerpts of a book on historical and systemic racism. But I haven't been to either country and they are about as familiar to me as Sudan, though I expect thats the same as 90% of posters on this topic.

Anyway I wouldnt worry about the FA (assuming you are not playing football in England?) nor the British, though when in the UK I would abstain from fondly referring to people with dark skin as they would in Uraguay as it may cause confusion, but your call.
I've read lots of quotes/stances on here and tried to ignore them but can't here.. not sure if you're wumming or straw man - either is poor taste.

You've tried to compare it to Suarez (which shows a complete lack of knowledge of the case), mistakenly said Cavani was talking to someone with "dark skin", got the country wrong, misspelled Uruguay, admitted you've been reading up for a few days (a little knowledge is a dangerous thing), ignored people from the country who (based on first-hand knowledge from ... being born there) have told you what the word means in the context and tried to justify the FAs stance... even though they've charged him with being racist, when he wasn't.

Davie Moyes

The FA are absolute feckwits.

How often do they release follow up information criticising clubs?

I'm annoyed that the FA would publically state it, but I also think the club should have done some social media training.
This.

Absolutely smacks of them deflecting all the criticisms coming there way now and also implying that the ban is the correct decision and Utd are to blame.

Bwuk

Ridiculous from the FA. We mustn’t be paying them enough for the crooked refs for Penandes.

Fridge chutney

Fcuk the FA. Gammony backwards looking little Englanders.

This country gets exactly what it deserves.

It’s cool if you disagree. But take a look at their Board photo before any argument.
The FA are desperately trying to make us forget their immoral and questionable history.

They'd rather not look in the mirror so instead they demonize those "damn ill-educated foreigners".

I'm sure Cavani will learn a lot from the FA about cultural sensitivity.

UnrelatedPsuedo

The FA are desperately trying to make us forget their immoral and questionable history.

They'd rather not look in the mirror so instead they demonize those "damn ill-educated foreigners".

I'm sure Cavani will learn a lot from the FA about cultural sensitivity.

It’s a Directorate of garbage low-rent cnuts.

See : The Tory party
See : The BBC
See : EVERY TOP TIER ENTITY IN THIS COUNTRY.

Fcuk it all. People need to stop smiling and waving.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I get your point but disagree that it is a fight against them solely. They are obvious and easier to target. Its the pernicious subtle bahaviours and attitudes and systems which are harder to effect, and its there where I have learned (I have taken my lumps) its better to listen to those most affected in a society and their experiences. My perpective from my background is one of general ignorance, otherwise known as white privelege.
I get your point but disagree that it is a fight against them solely. They are obvious and easier to target. Its the pernicious subtle bahaviours and attitudes and systems which are harder to effect, and its there where I have learned (I have taken my lumps) its better to listen to those most affected in a society and their experiences. My perpective from my background is one of general ignorance, otherwise known as white privelege.
Then listen to me I'd say, not that my voice has any more validity than others, I have experienced subtle and blatant racism.
A decision like the one vs Cavani does absolutely no good in the grand scheme of things. It's a blatant P.R move