Celebrity Allegations, #MeToo etc

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
When I was bartending in the late 90s in Los Angeles, I heard from a few girls that Maher was very "sleazy", "creepy" and "touchy-feely" at the bar he used to frequent. He's had that rep a long time around LA so I believe her 100%.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Situation with Tara Reade has become a mess.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/oath-biden-accuser-tara-reade-cited-bidens-work/story?id=70829512
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/21/tara-reade-biden-expert-testimony-274460

- She's testified for the prosecution as an expert in domestic violence cases for years but turns out she lied about her credentials to get that position.
- She testified under oath that she had a law degree from Seattle University and graduated from Antioch University in Seattle with a bachelor’s degree but turns out she never graduated from Antioch.
- She claimed instead that she had a special arrangement with a former chancellor to get the undergraduate degree but the University said there was no such arrangement and as such she doesn't have the undergraduate degree that Seattle University required for their law degree programme.
- She also lied about her role in Biden's office, saying she was a legislative assistant, working on the legislation Biden was involved in, when in reality she was a staff assistant, mostly sorting the mail out

In January 2019, she testified that she worked for Biden “as a legislative aide” – the same title she used to describe her position in at least four personal essays posted online.

“When you work as a legislative aide, you research the overarching issue of what the policy is or the law is they're trying to enact,” she said in court. “So I was reading and studying before and going to hearings and things like that.”

But, in fact, government records show Reade was a “staff assistant” on Biden’s team – a lower position than a “legislative aide.”

Reade seemed to acknowledge the difference in a podcast interview two months ago, when she said she “worked for legislative aides” on Biden’s staff.

“Pretty low on the totem pole,” she said of her position at the time. “I was working with the interns. So I supervised the intern program, and made sure all the mail was distributed where it was supposed to [be].”

When assisting legislative aides, she “would help go to a hearing and take notes, or write something,” she added.
As a result, defence lawyers are now looking into the cases she was involved in where their clients were convicted to see if she committed perjury.

Her lawyer has dropped her after two weeks.
7th May: Douglas Wigdor announces he is representing her.
22nd May: Douglas Wigdor states he stopped representing her two days prior.

“Our Firm no longer represents Tara Reade. Our decision, made on May 20, is by no means a reflection on whether then-Senator Biden sexually assaulted Ms. Reade,” Wigdor wote. “On that point, our view — which is the same view held by the majority of Americans, according to a Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll — has not changed.”

“Much of what has been written about Ms. Reade is not probative of whether then-Senator Biden sexually assaulted her, but rather is intended to victim-shame and attack her credibility on unrelated and irrelevant matters,” he wrote. “We genuinely wish Ms. Reade well and hope that she, as a survivor, is treated fairly. We have and will continue to represent survivors regardless of their alleged predator’s status or politics.”

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Appears so. Doesn't mean she's lying about Biden but her credibility is in tatters.
A shame if her allegations are true.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So she’s a serial liar?
There have also been stories about the numerous ways she manipulated and abused friends and acquaintances.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/15/tara-reade-left-trail-of-aggrieved-acquaintances-260771

PBS interviewed 74 former Biden staffers and basically all of them cast doubt on the circumstances that Reade describes. Most said there was an office ban on Senate staff attending fundraisers and that Biden rarely, if ever, attended fundraisers in DC since he was always on the train back to Delaware each night.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politi...-staffers-think-about-tara-reades-allegations

Her adoration for Vladimir Putin and tweeting about the timing of her allegations for political impact don't help her credibility.

https://www.thenation.com/article/politics/joe-biden-tara-reade-allegations/

It's still possible that her accusations are true, but her credibility is shot. If this were a courtroom, she'd face similar cross examination to what has been reported over the last week.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
Quality control
you are a joke

i suppose it never crossed your mind to think that biden being a proven serial liar and a publicly chastised plagiarizer means his denial must be false. go back to promoting right wing smears of corbyn you schmuck

Last edited:

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The evidence seems pretty conclusive now: lying and cheating provides immunity to rape. And we're over here thinking it was a longer skirt length. If only the real victims were better fibbers they could have saved themselves a lot of bother, and rape. A lie a day keeps the rapist at bay, sing it with me.

Revan

Assumptionman
The evidence seems pretty conclusive now: lying and cheating provides immunity to rape. And we're over here thinking it was a longer skirt length. If only the real victims were better fibbers they could have saved themselves a lot of bother, and rape. A lie a day keeps the rapist at bay, sing it with me.
Or you know, people who lie and cheat might actually be lying again, and at the very least, there should be some evidence before we blindly believe a serial liar.

Revan

Assumptionman
You just described Biden.
Sure, he is a liar, no doubt there. Like most politicians (especially those who have been as long as him) are.

That does not make him a rapist though, especially when the credibility of Reade is very low, and the story is totally inconsistent.

entropy

He literally lied about his education, having 3 undergrad degrees, graduating top of his class, and receiving a full academic scholarship. And that is not even mentioning tons of other lies he has told over the course of his career, and his long history of disgusting behavior around women. Legit mindblowing that you think the term "serial liar" somehow doesn't apply to him and any claim against him shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
He literally lied about his education, having 3 undergrad degrees, graduating top of his class, and receiving a full academic scholarship. And that is not even mentioning tons of other lies he has told over the course of his career, and his long history of disgusting behavior around women. Legit mindblowing that you think the term "serial liar" somehow doesn't apply to him and any claim against him shouldn't be taken seriously.
I never said that Biden is not a serial liar. Obviously, he is.

I just claimed that the accusations came from another serial liar, and the fate of a presidency should not be based on that alone. If there is some evidence that the rape (well, sexual assault) happened, then we are talking, otherwise move alone. I don’t think that the career or anyone should be destroyed by an accusation alone (without evidence), especially if the person who is doing the accusation is a serial liar, and the story itself of full of holes.

I don’t see the contradiction that both of them are serial liars, and there should be a tiny bit of evidence before we disqualify Biden from the presidential race.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
You just described Biden.
Holy what-aboutism Batman!

Seriously, for those of us that put a critical eye to her accusations and thought maybe some actual analysis was worthwhile before #believeitall we can feel somewhat vindicated that it was at least worth the effort.

Most of the people called out on this thread are essentially just on a windup with this one.

The real challenge is that - like the 3 above - this won't change the narrative for some - Biden is still now a rapist and just as bad a Trump. Because the internet is a cesspit.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Or you know, people who lie and cheat might actually be lying again, and at the very least, there should be some evidence before we blindly believe a serial liar.
Yes people who have lied and cheated in the past might actually lie again in the future, just as people who have told the truth in the past might lie in the future, just like people who have lied in the past might tell the truth in the future. This is all very basic stuff, stuff that should be within the grasp of anyone with even very limited experience of human communication and mutability (yet the replies suggest otherwise).

I have yet to see any evidence supporting a correlation between past lying and an increased chance of being raped or sexually assaulted in the future (please provide evidence if it does exist). If Tara Reade has lied in the past, this had no obvious affect on the chances of her being raped/sexually assaulted in the future. So a known liar and a known cheat can both be victims of real rape and sexual assault, with there being no obvious evidence of them being any more or less likely to suffer these crimes based on their history of telling lies, than someone else who has a history of telling the truth.

So if liars and truth tellers are both as likely as each other to be victims of rape/sexual assault and we expect/hope both liars and truth tellers will report rape and sexual assault, then surely we have to take as seriously the accusations of those who have been proven to lie in the past, as the allegations of those who have not yet been proven to have lied in the past. And there is no short cut, using past behaviour, to verify the accuracy of current accusations. "the liar" is not a tool that can be used to unpick the truth of the situation. I know people think that it is, but it's not, it's an appeal to apophenia and faulty generalisations and just a very limited level of reasoning.

The "holes in the story" angle is not just built on crap reasoning but extensive crap reasoning, it's exhausting trudging through the layers of that shit. The "Liar"/"serial Liar" tag is simply a smear at this point.

And this reply is predicated on accepting the absurd narrative that the world is split between those who lie and those who don't.

As far as I'm concerned her accusation and its credibility stands up against any of the stuff that the Biden supporters/media have thrown at it thus far. At least anything I've seen.

And just for the record I don't consider the video tape of Biden groping young girls as corroborating evidence for the Tara Reade allegations.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Genuine question here because I’ve not followed this particular story closely enough, what is it about her allegations that makes them credible?

To be clear, I’m not saying there are or aren’t, I’m just trying to find out more.

Sweet Square

Holy what-aboutism Batman!

Seriously, for those of us that put a critical eye to her accusations and thought maybe some actual analysis was worthwhile before #believeitall we can feel somewhat vindicated that it was at least worth the effort.

Most of the people called out on this thread are essentially just on a windup with this one.

The real challenge is that - like the 3 above - this won't change the narrative for some - Biden is still now a rapist and just as bad a Trump. Because the internet is a cesspit.
The ''critical eye'' you're talking about is posting PBS links and thought experiments(Oh I've never called Biden a rapist btw). You're posting isn't investigative journalism it's just posting. You've put in the least amount possible(Clicking a mouse)and somehow this is has caused you to feel collectively vindicated ?

I agree that internet is a cesspit but mostly because it destroys the brain cells of people like yourself. It gives dull liberals the idea they have agency, that there's some meaningful act to be achieved by merely posting online(Although most liberals are happy enough with only annoying their family members on Facebook and not complete strangers on a football forum)but again it's just posting.

Last edited:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The ''critical eye'' you're talking about is posting PBS links and thought experiments(Oh I've never called Biden a rapist btw). You're posting isn't investigative journalism it's just posting. You've put in the least amount possible(Clicking a mouse)and somehow this is has caused you to feel collectively vindicated ?

I agree that internet is a cesspit but mostly because it destroys the brain cells of people like yourself. It gives dull liberals the idea they have agency, that there's some meaningful act to be achieved by merely posting online(Although most liberals are happy enough with only annoying their family members on Facebook and not complete strangers on a football forum)but again it's just posting.
Alternatively, I could have been referring to reading all 3 of the original articles published about Reade, listening to both the show where she surfaced the accusation, and the hour long podcast with the Salon journalist that interviewed her, and then read half a dozen long-form pieces on her back story, the accusation and so forth, and continuing to follow the updates on sources that I believe are more trustworthy than not. (Atlantic, NY Times, Economist etc)

I agree posting on here is worthless. I was saying for those of us who tried to at least do some research before making up minds up, perhaps that was sensible.

Also, feel free to question our 'dullness' without knowing anything whatsoever about us. That seems like the kind of thing a clearly overwhelmingly intelligent person like yourself would do.

Sweet Square

Alternatively, I could have been referring to reading all 3 of the original articles published about Reade, listening to both the show where she surfaced the accusation, and the hour long podcast with the Salon journalist that interviewed her, and then read half a dozen long-form pieces on her back story, the accusation and so forth, and continuing to follow the updates on sources that I believe are more trustworthy than not. (Atlantic, NY Times, Economist etc)

I agree posting on here is worthless. I was saying for those of us who tried to at least do some research before making up minds up, perhaps that was sensible.
Well done you've listen to a podcast, the Pulitzer Prize will be incoming. The recent news doesn't dismiss her claims about Biden. So I'm not sure why anyone would feel vindicated about anything to do with story.

Reade could very well be lying out of her arse but the issue at least with regards to MeToo(And this thread) has really nothing to do with the allegations but the way liberal organisations and liberals have handle them, which has clearly been very poorly(The allegations were completely dismissal due to the political inconvenience it caused).

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Sure, he is a liar, no doubt there. Like most politicians (especially those who have been as long as him) are.

That does not make him a rapist though, especially when the credibility of Reade is very low, and the story is totally inconsistent.
Both credibilities are very low

And that doesn't make Biden a rapist, but neither Reade unrapeble

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Genuine question here because I’ve not followed this particular story closely enough, what is it about her allegations that makes them credible?

To be clear, I’m not saying there are or aren’t, I’m just trying to find out more.
For me it's that she made the allegations, she worked for Biden and there was the very real possibility that such an incident could have taken place, and the simple application of good faith. If Biden had just denied the allegations and nothing more came of it then to me the only thing to do is to live with the two contradictory accounts, favouring neither one nor the other unless subsequent evidence is provided. It's basically what I do with the Woody Allen case amongst others. It's the dissonance that demands that you can and must get a conclusion that fecks a lot of this stuff up from all sides. Rashomon bitches.

What I don't think you should do, and what many on team Biden have done, is to pile the fire high and burn the accuser as a witch.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Long thread there with more people joining in on twitter too.

Sometimes the creeps are the ones you don't expect. Other times it's guys you immediately think are probably creeps. Chris D'Elia definitely falls into one of those two camps.

reelworld

Sometimes the creeps are the ones you don't expect. Other times it's guys you immediately think are probably creeps. Chris D'Elia definitely falls into one of those two camps.
:lol: Chris D'Elia being a creepy jerk does not surprised me at all.

I heard about this a few years ago. I thought he was already arrested and got bail. It's the reason he got kicked out from his comedy series in Netflix

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Started off with allegations of racist comments made back when he was in school, then someone dropped the bombshell

Yep, also seen a few other tweets about other young girls getting inappropriate DMs from him etc.