g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Champions League Round of 16 (12th Feb - 13th Mar)

Inter Yer Nan

Feel the same. There just is something about watching Atletico in these type of games. I know many find them boring but a lot of my favourite games in recent CL season feature them.

Also, does someone have that first half clean sheets in Europe stat under Simeone? That was insane.
The last time they conceded a knockout Champions League goal at home was vs. Milan in the last 16 in 2014 in a 4-1 win. That's the only knockout goal they've conceded between Europa League and Champions League in their last 15 homes games in European competition.

Under Simeone, Atletico have only been eliminated by Real Madrid in the KO stages. They've eliminated Barca (twice), Bayern, Chelsea, Milan, Leicester, PSV, Leverkusen (twice) in that time and beaten Bayern (groups), Roma and Juventus (groups).

Pagh Wraith

Atletico at home in the Champions League under Simeone:

Played: 30
Scored: 56 (first half: 27)
Conceded: 10 (6)

knock-out games only:

Played: 12
Scored: 14 (8)
Conceded: 2 (2)

Remarkable.

@Inter Yer Nan They conceded against Real in 2017 (finished 2-1)

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Dybala has been very good this season, he was hardly the problem tonight either.

He’s just playing deeper sort of like Isco did for Madrid.

Juve’s problem is the midfield. Signing Ramsey will hardly fix things imo, they need a clear upgrade
Dybala very good this season? He's disapointing for a while now and Juventus is considering selling him. I'd understand this opinion of you only watch C1 games, but in Serie A, he's VERY inconsistent.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
Never understood the Dybala hype, he seem so overrated to me, why so many people think he is something special?

Skorenzy

Dybala has been very good this season, he was hardly the problem tonight either.

He’s just playing deeper sort of like Isco did for Madrid.

Juve’s problem is the midfield. Signing Ramsey will hardly fix things imo, they need a clear upgrade

Their MF is very consistent with Allegri's (and Juve's) style though. Pjanic is arguably the most creative CM in Italy, flanked by Matuidi and Bentancur. That's a pretty high-rating MF setup compared to other elite teams in every department outside of creativity. Which is provided by Alex Sandro and Cancelo or Douglas Costa (when he's not suspended or injured) anyway.
It certainly stacks up fairly well against Barça and Bayern's midfields which have declined immensely. City and RM are the most creative ones, but they're more defensively frail.

As for Dybala's "very good season"... He's been underwhelming more than anything. He was on a clear upwards trajectory in his development towards becoming a super star player, but there is nothing to be seen of that this season.
He's shooting way less and his dribbling is also less frequent and less successful.
Slightly more key passes, which is easily explained by Cristiano's monster 6.5 shots per game.

It's not just that he's stagnated (or even dropped off), it's that in my opinion he's also being outperformed by Mandzukic now while he was clearly Juve's stand-out player last season and at least 2nd best the year before that.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Ronaldo is such a tosser.

Walking through the mixed zone after the game he barked: "I have five Champions Leagues, you [Atletico] have none."
Least he could say after they have been chanting all kinds of xenophobic/homophobic stuff all night!

MrEleson

Their MF is very consistent with Allegri's (and Juve's) style though. Pjanic is arguably the most creative CM in Italy, flanked by Matuidi and Bentancur. That's a pretty high-rating MF setup compared to other elite teams in every department outside of creativity. Which is provided by Alex Sandro and Cancelo or Douglas Costa (when he's not suspended or injured) anyway.
It certainly stacks up fairly well against Barça and Bayern's midfields which have declined immensely. City and RM are the most creative ones, but they're more defensively frail.

As for Dybala's "very good season"... He's been underwhelming more than anything. He was on a clear upwards trajectory in his development towards becoming a super star player, but there is nothing to be seen of that this season.
He's shooting way less and his dribbling is also less frequent and less successful.
Slightly more key passes, which is easily explained by Cristiano's monster 6.5 shots per game.

It's not just that he's stagnated (or even dropped off), it's that in my opinion he's also being outperformed by Mandzukic now while he was clearly Juve's stand-out player last season and at least 2nd best the year before that.
I disagree totally. Matuidi can barely control a football. If he didn't have such incredible stamina and work-rate he would be working at your local supermarket. Bentancur is completely out of his depth at CL level as displayed tonight, could barely do anything right and was constantly fouling because he over-ran the ball after a poor touch or he just couldn't keep it in tight spaces. Pjanic has been anything but the most creative midfielder in Italy. Most games he looks like he's barely trying. Moreover, Sandro has been terrible this season and D.Costa inconsistent so there goes that support. Barca & Bayern's midfield would play them off the park.

Canagel

Ronaldo is such a tosser.

Walking through the mixed zone after the game he barked: "I have five Champions Leagues, you [Atletico] have none."
he's always been a bad loser. I still remember what he said when we beat them this season

Inter Yer Nan

It's tough to handicap this year. I think given how good Atletico are over two legs and with the final at their gaff I think they have a great chance. I think along with PSG perhaps those are my tips. PSG there's always the question mark in Europe too.

That same question mark IMO applies to City. I just don't see City as one of the 2-3 teams most likely. Liverpool or Spurs I can't see it either and we are as good as out. Real surely can't win it again and frankly just don't look like a team that can win it this season. Barca I suppose have a good shot but I'd probably put them as less likely to win it all than Atletico or PSG. Perhaps just as much as City.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I watched the first 60mins of the Juve-Atletico game and I thought Atletico were given enormous leeway to commit dirty fouls all over the pitch. Tactically very well organised and Griezmann is great for them (much as I dislike him somehow) but with an honest ref they would be in trouble pretty much every game.

I'd like to see Juve thump them in Torino.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
‘Ese portugues, hijo puta es’, ‘Cristiano muerete’, etc.

It calmed down in the second half, they spent at least 20 minutes straight throwing insults in the first half though. Which was nothing out of the ordinary really.
Did they chant that when Futre played for them? Anyway don't even want to talk much about them because I hate that club.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
You know what will be so funny about this forum in about 2 weeks ? If Ronaldo and Juve get eliminated he won’t here the end of it “ oh this is why he’s second best and blah blah blah” yet the amount of people who defended Messi for getting rinsed by Roma was incredible. I cant wait to see the double standard.
Ronaldo will deserve the criticism as Messi did last year
More neutrals think Ronaldo is better, obviously.
Not true at all, only people in Portugal and Manchester United fans think that. Everywhere else it’s Messi
he's always been a bad loser. I still remember what he said when we beat them this season
Nothing will ever beat criticizing a team for having a small team mentality at the euros only for Portugal to do that every game

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
This guy gets it. We’ve got it in the bag if we get two goals.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
This guy gets it. We’ve got it in the bag if we get two goals.

:lol: I'm always blown away by how stupid some folks can be. Someone asked me before if the quarter finals was the last 32 or the last 64... I didn't know what to say.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Having seen all the games I don't think we've seen any clear favourite or even favourites. Very open and exciting competition.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Having seen all the games I don't think we've seen any clear favourite or even favourites. Very open and exciting competition.
Yes, there’s no team that would be of significantly higher quality than the rest. Not even a group of teams.

Five ties are basically all done and dusted (Spurs, Atlético, Real Madrid, PSG and City going through). Barca are big favourites in theirs, Liverpool v Bayern is 50/50 and Porto v Roma is not particularly exciting anyway. I could maybe see Juventus pulling off a comeback but scoring two, let alone three or four, against this Atlético appears nearly impossible.

haram

Yes, there’s no team that would be of significantly higher quality than the rest. Not even a group of teams.

Five ties are basically all done and dusted (Spurs, Atlético, Real Madrid, PSG and City going through). Barca are big favourites in theirs, Liverpool v Bayern is 50/50 and Porto v Roma is not particularly exciting anyway. I could maybe see Juventus pulling off a comeback but scoring two, let alone three or four, against this Atlético appears nearly impossible.
Atletico tie is not over.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Atletico tie is not over.
Well I think it is, though I said as much in my post about there being a glimmer of hope for Juventus. It will be difficult for Juve to keep a clean sheet and scoring against Atlético is really, really tough. It isn’t maybe 100/0 in Atlético favor but I’d easily have it 80/20 or better which is as good as done.

haram

Well I think it is, though I said as much in my post about there being a glimmer of hope for Juventus. It will be difficult for Juve to keep a clean sheet and scoring against Atlético is really, really tough. It isn’t maybe 100/0 in Atlético favor but I’d easily have it 80/20 or better which is as good as done.
No one would be surprised if Juve won 2-0 and took it to extra time.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Ronaldo will deserve the criticism as Messi did last year

Not true at all, only people in Portugal and Manchester United fans think that. Everywhere else it’s Messi

Nothing will ever beat criticizing a team for having a small team mentality at the euros only for Portugal to do that every game
:lol: you speak for the rest of the world now ? There are many neutral folks who rate Ronaldo higher because of the CL.

Ban

It's weird with Atletico (that's Atletico with an L without H). They play ugly, their style is ugly, that obnoxious brat Griezmann plays for them.. But I like them.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Anyone think that Spurs can win this competition? Poch would literally be a God at Spurs if he wins it and he would be the most sought after manager in football.

Schneckerl

Anyone think that Spurs can win this competition? Poch would literally be a God at Spurs if he wins it and he would be the most sought after manager in football.
No, but they are a good candidate to lose a final.

rollingstoned1

:lol: you speak for the rest of the world now ? There are many neutral folks who rate Ronaldo higher because of the CL.
he is right though, most 'neutrals' consider Messi to be the better player. doesn't matter how many Ronaldo keeps banging in.

kouroux

he is right though, most 'neutrals' consider Messi to be the better player. doesn't matter how many Ronaldo keeps banging in.
How would you know that though ? Based on what ? Your surroundings ? It doesn't make sense. Personally I prefer Messi but that's my opinion and I've seen many neutrals who prefer Ronaldo all over the world.

rollingstoned1

How would you know that though ? Based on what ? Your surroundings ? It doesn't make sense
just by getting a general feel of sentiment and opinion of those who watch and appreciate the game, it is not some scientifically rigorous process to know the mean opinion of what most people think. It would be a lot harder for someone to prove that most people think Ronaldo is the better player if you wanted to flip it on its head.

kouroux

just by getting a general feel of sentiment and opinion of those who watch and appreciate the game, it is not some scientifically rigorous process to know the mean opinion of what most people think. It would be a lot harder for someone to prove that most people think Ronaldo is the better player if you wanted to flip it on its head.
So yeah, there is no way to know.