Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Is this was another forum id say "your girlfriend, you sister and your mum". It's not that type of place though so I wont!
I have no sister. My brother is a cnut though so that works out. :p

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Barca is immense defensively, yes William the post twice but if Atletico can go to two CL finals on three years being a pragmatic team then so can Barca.

They’ll do the business at home
Chelsea aren't even good at attacking and they looked looked dangerous for almost the entire match. A Manchester City would put them to bed in about 20 minutes.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Pretty much. He's not someone to elevate you to regularly challenging for the league/CL.
It’s quite funny some people in this forum are defending Lukaku the same way some Bayern fans defended Gomez (who, to be honest, was a much better striker. 12 goals in 12 games in the CL season of 11/12, only Messi and Ronaldo ever were better in CL history). „His first touch is shit and his link up play is non-existant, but he scores!!“. Yet we only became the force of 12/13 when we replaced him with Mandzukic. He never scored as many goals, but he had a first touch and could pass a ball.

ti vu

Chelsea aren't even good at attacking and they looked looked dangerous for almost the entire match. A Manchester City would put them to bed in about 20 minutes.
Football doesn't work like that. Chelsea did well to stifled Barcelona. City can test Barcelona defense more, but they leave their defense open for Barcelona to have a go too. Barcelona is still more experienced and clinical.

Bobski

I don't know about the first part, but certain teams buying players for two quality starting XI sure is a problem.
Hard to quantity as a claim I accept. I just look at positions like CB and CF and find the dearth in those positions to be interesting.

They aren't, but they are much better than the last season Barca imo. They relied too much on the individual brilliance of their 3 up front and didn't play like a team. This version can soak the pressure, it's very efficient and more defensively solid.

I can't see them as favourites, but considering they lost Neymar and Dembele is spending practically whole season out with an injury, work from Valverde (and Messi) is impressive.
It is, and as you say they could still add Dembele who could give them a spark to take responsibility off Messi but they are not the frightening team of years past, notable that both Real and Barca have found themselves in a position where they have an ageing team, perhaps backs up my earlier point about the lesser numbers of top players, and to be fair sticking with the best of their generation.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Barca is immense defensively, yes William the post twice but if Atletico can go to two CL finals on three years being a pragmatic team then so can Barca.

They’ll do the business at home
On what planet are this Barca side ‘immense defensively’?! :lol:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Today was exactly the kind of leg that Guardiola would've lost with this squad, a manager famous for getting bad results in away legs and relying in feats at home to turn it around.

We might've not showed something special today but at least we bring an advantage to the 2nd leg, with Guardiola we could look better, shoot the same (the Iniestazo was the only shot on target we had that game) and come back to Barcelona with a 2-0 to overcome given how good Willian and Hazard were playing today.

Cait Sith

Chelsea didn't create much except Willian shooting from distance. Don't know what people have watched.

City should try to get a goal against Wigan first before thinking about putting Barca to the sword in 20 minutes.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
I know, I couldn't believe what I read either. Willian should have had a hattrick today and that was without really even trying to attack.

Bobski

Chelsea didn't create much except Willian shooting from distance. Don't know what people have watched.

City should try to get a goal against Wigan first before thinking about putting Barca to the sword in 20 minutes.
No-one thinks Chelsea are that good either.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Personally I think we are in a down generation in European football, don't think there are as many exceptional individual players around as say 15 years ago, and when the top teams stockpile the few that are around you get this absurd gap.
I think the explanation might be that there are many REALLY good players, and therefor less that stand out.
Also teams set up their tactics against the teams with the best players, in a way to take them out of the game - Like Herrera vs Hazard last year.
Weaker teams will play alot more defensively, and give them less space to run and dribble in.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Football doesn't work like that. Chelsea did well to stifled Barcelona. City can test Barcelona defense more, but they leave their defense open for Barcelona to have a go too. Barcelona is still more experienced and clinical.
I saw tonight an aging Iniesta and Suarez, a toothless Messi and substandard supporting cast almost go under against an English side who aren't going to make Champiions League next season.

They remind me of Brazil in 2014, bumbling past substandard opposition to incredible hype before they come up against a fresh, young, vibrant side like Manchester City and have dildos shoved here there and everywhere.

Bobski

I think the explanation might be that there are many REALLY good players, and therefor less that stand out.
Also teams set up their tactics against the teams with the best players, in a way to take them out of the game - Like Herrera vs Hazard last year.
Weaker teams will play alot more defensively, and give them less space to run and dribble in.
Teams have always looked to take the other team's best player out of the game, it is hardly a new idea. Impossible to prove either way of course, all subjective.

All Sports generally progress and improve with advancement in training, nutrition and preparation but talent is talent and some eras will have slightly more. Again I look at certain areas, CB and CF and it does look a weak period. Some of that may be down to changes in tactics, wide forwards marginalizing CF's and creating different requirements for defenders .

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I saw tonight an aging Iniesta and Suarez, a toothless Messi and substandard supporting cast almost go under against an English side who aren't going to make Champiions League next season.

They remind me of Brazil in 2014, bumbling past substandard opposition to incredible hype before they come up against a fresh, young, vibrant side like Manchester City and have dildos shoved here there and everywhere.
It was one game :lol:

I saw City get done off Wigan last night...

Ban

And we wonder how Sky and BBC are creaming over City all the while our own fanbase are even worse at it.

Bobski

It was one game :lol:

I saw City get done off Wigan last night...
Yes, and the meltdown was fascinating. How does this City team react when the pressure comes on against a top team in a big match. Been a coast for them this season.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It is, and as you say they could still add Dembele who could give them a spark to take responsibility off Messi but they are not the frightening team of years past, notable that both Real and Barca have found themselves in a position where they have an ageing team, perhaps backs up my earlier point about the lesser numbers of top players, and to be fair sticking with the best of their generation.
Both Barcelona and Real certainly look vulnerable. But, on the other hand, you have more teams of high quality comparing to some of the last CL campaigns.

All big matches so far (Real - PSG, Juventus - Spurs even this Chelsea - Barcelona) have been very good/excellent to watch. Add Bayern, City, Liverpool and hopefully us after tomorrow in the mix and you have practically 10 teams who are capable of knocking each other out. Much prefer that than what we've seen in the last few years.

Well, I'll prefer it as long one of City or Liverpool don't go all the way.

ti vu

A stronger Barcelona under Pep also struggled at the Bridge against 2 under performing Chelsea (at the time).

Football is unpredictable so to use a third team to gauge 2 other teams quality is never the best measurement, let alone comparing international football (context is Brazil lost 2 of their best players for the tie) to club football.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja

They had two very presentable chances from counter attacks too where they didn't get the final ball right, and generally had Barca looking rattled and panicked the last 15 mins of the first half. I doubt they'd approach City with the same game plan of course.

Last edited:

Bobski

Both Barcelona and Real certainly look vulnerable. But, on the other hand, you have more teams of high quality comparing to some of the last CL campaigns.

All big matches so far (Real - PSG, Juventus - Spurs even this Chelsea - Barcelona) have been very good/excellent to watch. Add Bayern, City, Liverpool and hopefully us after tomorrow in the mix and you have practically 10 teams who are capable of knocking each other out. Much prefer that than what we've seen in the last few years.

Well, I'll prefer it as long one of City or Liverpool don't go all the way.
Yes, no-one wants to see Real and Barca carve it up every year with someone taking the turn of Atletico or sadly Juve as the plucky but overmatched underdog. May not be the parity i wish for but better than it has been. 8-10 teams at the top of the European game and the rest just being punching bags and feeder teams is still far from ideal. No idea how you change it though, get rid of the oil clubs and the number of challengers drops even further.

Schneckerl

How is current Barca incredibly hyped? Sounds like you are talking about PSG or City here.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Yes, no-one wants to see Real and Barca carve it up every year with someone taking the turn of Atletico or sadly Juve as the plucky but overmatched underdog. May not be the parity i wish for but better than it has been. 8-10 teams at the top of the European game and the rest just being punching bags and feeder teams is still far from ideal. No idea how you change it though, get rid of the oil clubs and the number of challengers drops even further.
Yeah, also very true. The gap behind those 8-10 teams is now even bigger.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
On the planet where they are top 2 in least amount of goals conceded.

Forced my Chelsea to shoot outside the box is a tactic I have no problem with. Willian was given too much space I agree, but you’re fooling yourself or only seen Barca twice all year if you think they’re not a top 2-3 defensive side in Europe.

And La Liga has been more
Competitive than the EPL this year. This is a barca squad that isn’t stellar in attack but very good defensively.

An injury away from Thomas Vermaelen starting.
I know, I couldn't believe what I read either. Willian should have had a hattrick today and that was without really even trying to attack.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
How is current Barca incredibly hyped? Sounds like you are talking about PSG or City here.
Did you not witness any of the pre-match build up? How the clouds would part for Barcelona to descend and put 6 or 7 past Chelsea or whoever else was foolish enough to stand in St. Messi & co's way?

Was utterly predictable given they struggles away to Juventus/Sporting and in recent La Liga games that they may struggle here also.

City may have ballsed up some FA Cup match but what they're doing in the Premier League this season is beyond dispute.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
They had two very presentable chances from counter attacks too where they didn't get the final ball right, and generally had Barca looking rattled and panicked the last 15 mins of the second half. I doubt they'd approach City with the same game plan of course.
Not true, Barca was in charge completely after the Chelsea goal. Chelsea looked completely rattled once Messi swualized. That away goal probably will be the biggest reason Chelsea may have lost the chance for an upset. They can’t park the bus at Camp Nou and will get Exposed.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
On the planet where they are top 2 in least amount of goals conceded.
Who is the team that's conceded less? Barcelona have 11 in the league, 2 in the Champions League and 2 in the Copa Del Rey.

That's 15 goals conceded in 39 games this season which is absurdly good. This Barcelona team isn't as good as 3 years ago but they're more cynical than ever, I think they'll go through without too much trouble in the second leg and that they're still the favourites to win the CL.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Did you not witness any of the pre-match build up? How the clouds would part for Barcelona to descend and put 6 or 7 past Chelsea or whoever else was foolish enough to stand in St. Messi & co's way?

Was utterly predictable given they struggles away to Juventus/Sporting and in recent La Liga games that they may struggle here also.

City may have ballsed up some FA Cup match but what they're doing in the Premier League this season is beyond dispute.
And what about when Barca beat juventus and Real Madrid 3-0?

Man city had had many more embarrassing losses and draws than Barca. Man city can get exposed in the back and people act like they’re the team of the decade.

Hansa

Did someone actually say this? Barcelona got a very good result which I'm sure they're quite happy to take home.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I reckon not.
Fair enough. Think Conte's plan will be to absorb Barca's pressure and keep the score down to at 1-0. Even if it's 2-0 they can keep their game plan, albeit, they'll have to be more adventurous earlier in the game.

We will see. Just feels like one of ties where teams are badly matched for each other. If Barca were playing Spurs for instance, the aggregate score would probably be 15-0 to Barca. :smirk:

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Not true, Barca was in charge completely after the Chelsea goal. Chelsea looked completely rattled once Messi swualized. That away goal probably will be the biggest reason Chelsea may have lost the chance for an upset. They can’t park the bus at Camp Nou and will get Exposed.
*last 15 mins of the FIRST half, sorry.

Still Barca barely created anything in the second half. Suarez's half chance from a tight angle is all I can think of other than the goal.