Champions League Round of 16 (15th Feb - 16th Mar)

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
This shows when people get outraged for finished second in the group before the draw has been made you look really silly. You should wait for the draw then complain if you get a harder tie. You can finish first in your group and get a harder game than finishing second,

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
I completely disagree with BS phrases along the lines of 'To win the competition you've got to beat the best teams anyway so might as well play them now'.

No you haven't. This is a cup, where you only face the teams you're drawn against; not a league where you have to play every other team twice. You can be lucky with the draws and win a cup without drawing any tough opponents - or only face them in the SF/Final. Or you can be unlucky and keep getting tough opponents each round which takes a much bigger physical toll on the squad by the crucial part of the season.

So why anyone would genuinely choose the latter, when it's avoidable, I've no idea.
The idea is that whatever team you draw, it beat beat the toughest team in their branch. Ultimately, in the final, you will supposedly meet the team that survived their bracket and thus proved to be the toughest team on that side of the tree. Don't overthink it, some branches are easier than others, yes. But to get into the final, you have to beat the best team. Or, as the case may be, they may have to beat you being the best.

Josep Dowling

They are going to have to redraw, apparently Manchester United wasn't included in any draw after they were mistakenly drawn against Villareal. So we were left with whoever was at the end which was PSG. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You couldn't make this up.
Has it actually been confirmed a redraw will happen?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This shows when people get outraged for finished second in the group before the draw has been made you look really silly. You should wait for the draw then complain if you get a harder tie. You can finish first in your group and get a harder game than finishing second,
True, it does increase your chances though.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
PSG are a bobblehead on legs made of ricepaper, they got nothing if the trio up top are having problems.

Such a nice draw for the fans with no irregularities, nothing suspect about this what so ever.
Neymar will be knee deep in his sister around that time as well so we can count him out.

SER19

But seriously, this is being redone yes? Us not being in Atletico pot changes the statistical likelihood of the entire remainder of draw

the_cliff

But seriously, this is being redone yes? Us not being in Atletico pot changes the statistical likelihood of the entire remainder of draw
Also decreases the likelihood of Atletico drawing Bayern.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Asking a sporting body to admit a mistake? They will sweep this under the rug and I do kind of understand why.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Nonsensical point. Finishing first increases your chances of having a better opponent, especially if you had a hard group because you cannot get the same tough opponent again.

However, there's never any guarantee. This is like saying because you get hit by a car walking on the pavement, it makes no difference if you are walking on the pavement or the road.

Nordmore

The idea is that whatever team you draw, it beat beat the toughest team in their branch. Ultimately, in the final, you will supposedly meet the team that survived their bracket and thus proved to be the toughest team on that side of the tree. Don't overthink it, some branches are easier than others, yes. But to get into the final, you have to beat the best team. Or, as the case may be, they may have to beat you being the best.
If you've ever played FM you'd have an idea how mad you would be when you draw a top team in the 1/8 sandwiched between Chelsea and City. You'll have to run your 1st XI to the ground in that period then your squad will be plagued with injuries and suspensions. Of course except if you play City, Bayern, PSG.

The fatigue of your players is accumulated over an entire season and will considerably affect your players by the end of the season. So of course it helps a lot to get some easier draw. That phrase is completely bs mate.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
If United dont protest and if its not re-drawn then its a complete farce.
I’d actually be almost as disappointed at United (if they don’t challenge it) as UEFA.

It’s not sour grapes or worrying about PSG (I’d be concerned about most opponents we could get at the moment) but about United demanding it’s done right and not just saying “oh…. ok then. No worries”

Bertie Wooster

I don't fully understand that post tbh.

But I was talking more about the earlier rounds, not who you face by the time of the SF or Final. So I'm saying why would anyone really prefer to face Aston Villa or Liverpool in the 3rd round of the FA Cup when you could draw a non league team as Chelsea have? Or draw PSG in the CL last 16 when you could play a much easier opponent like Salzburg or Sporting?

Tacitus56AD

Supports
Bayern Munich
PSG only defend with 8 men and you have Ralf now who should know how to use this to your advantage. To be honest i`d rather have PSG than Atletico.

MUFC OK

That’s us out then. Premature talk of potentially winning the thing will be brought to an abrupt end.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If United dont protest and if its not re-drawn then its a complete farce.
Liverpool would already have made a statement about how the draw does not uphold the standards of fairness adhered to by the great people of Liverpool.

PoTMS

We nearly beat them twice last year if it wasn't for the carelessness of Martial and Fred. Not the end of the world drawing PSG. It's just annoying that the other three English clubs had the easiest possible teams.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
If you've ever played FM you'd have an idea how mad you would be when you draw a top team in the 1/8 sandwiched between Chelsea and City. You'll have to run your 1st XI to the ground in that period then your squad will be plagued with injuries and suspensions. Of course except if you play City, Bayern, PSG.

The fatigue of your players is accumulated over an entire season and will considerably affect your players by the end of the season. So of course it helps a lot to get some easier draw. That phrase is completely bs mate.
I get what you're saying, but the phrase doesn't factor all that in. It's really just saying that the presumption is the two best teams of that particular tournament, with all its storylines, are in the final. If that means you get lucky because the top two teams met early and one got eliminated, you'll face the toughest of the two. Just as an example. I think it's just a silly phrase and you don't need to put too much weight on it. This isn't FM, this is rl. And certain FMisms don't exist in quite the same way.

Also, is this the most convoluted, intransparent drawing method of all time or what? I got instantly confused, and so did the guy whose only job was to pull the right names and put them in a bowl for the actual draw. I don't mind the draw we have, but I would totally understand a redraw, he seemed to get confused who Manchester United and Manchester City are. Some of you guys should visit him and explain the difference. :D

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Nonsensical point. Finishing first increases your chances of having a better opponent, especially if you had a hard group because you cannot get the same tough opponent again.

However, there's never any guarantee. This is like saying because you get hit by a car walking on the pavement, it makes no difference if you are walking on the pavement or the road.
\

Im saying people crying about finishing second in the group should wait until the draw is made before complaining. How is that nonsense? Chelsea fans are now happy when Wednesday they were all crying.
We have finished first in our group several times and got harder draws. I think overall we have had easier draws when we have finished second in our group.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What a joke, we get the hardest team out of the English ones again! And this is the reason city always get far but can never handle the big teams because they hardly face them!

0le

Chelsea's draws:

12/1313/1414/1515/1616/1717/1818/1919/2020/21
Round 16GalatasaryPSGPSGBarcelonaBayernA. Madrid
QFPSGPorto
SFA. MadridR. Madrid
FinalCity

City's draws:

Round 16BarcelonaBarcelonaDynamo KyivMonacoBaselSchalke 04R. MadridBorussia M.
QFPSGLiverpoolTottenhamLyonBorussia D.
SFR. MadridPSG
FinalChelsea

Liverpool's draws:

Round 16PortoBayernA. MadridRB Leipzig
QFMan CityPortoR. Madrid
SFRomaBarcelona
FinalR. MadridTottenham

Man Utd draws:

Round 16R. MadridOlympiacosSevillaPSG
QFBayernBarcelona
SF
Final

Bertie Wooster

No, but I suppose it will get a lot of bad press if they don't.
I'd expect more bad press - certainly in England - if they did redraw it tbh.

I'd imagine most are delighted to see the other 3 English clubs get 'easy' draws and United get a killer. And redrawing it because 'two of the wealthy teams drew each other' will probably get more sneery comments and accusations of a fix than letting the draw stand.

They should 100% redraw it, but I'd be surprised if they did.

EDIT: I'd forgotten about the Atletico v Bayern draw, and how they'd also be unhappy about the United ball error. There's more of a chance of a redraw with 4 teams affected. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: