Champions League Round of 16 first leg (second week) 23/02 24/02

Theonas

Scout
Total bullshit. SAF used to win plenty of games with tail b/w the legs. I'd say at least 5 games per seasons over his reign.

United were the biggest in the world cus they won the most trophies.
Behave yourself and learn how to understand simple text. Your post is out of context and misses the point by a ridiculous margin.

Whereas we were ever the biggest or not is a matter of criteria defined to judge such a label. Whereas we were the best or not is another matter as that is clearly shown on the pitch. We were that in 2008 IMO and there is an argument for us in 1999 but apart from that, we'd have to be incredibly biased to call us the best in the world.

Theonas

Scout
Every team is entitled to counter them. Trying to outplay them will nearly always be a stupid thing to do as they're always going to be significantly better than you in that sort of game. There's no rule that says spending a lot of money suddenly means you have to approach games in a silly way.
I am not saying we should try to outplay them without any substance to the team. I am saying we should aim to build a team that can outplay them. Might take a long time but the attitude we should have is to be the absolute best, not merely competitive.

RooneyLegend

Terrible approach by Juve, and it almost cost them the tie. The first 60 mins were terrible viewing and they gave Bayern way too much respect. after conceding the second they switched on and played like how they'd normally play in the serie a and looked a much better side.

Theonas

Scout
Terrible approach by Juve, and it almost cost them the tie. The first 60 mins were terrible viewing and they gave Bayern way too much respect. after conceding the second they switched on and played like how they'd normally play in the serie a and looked a much better side.
I am not sure if it was the approach or if it was that Bayern have simply been brilliant. We've seen them do that to many top teams but the response from Juve was phenomenal. I've long felt now what on earth do they have to do to be mentioned among the best teams. They were a game away from a treble, dominate one of the top European leagues and are on course for another double and yet seem to be rate behind the likes of Real and PSG for no good reason as far as I am concerned.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
The return will be mouth-watering. I'd love it if Juve knock Pep out so early.

montpelier

There wasn't a huge difference in chances for the Arse vs. Barca game. Given a fair wind, 1-1 could've been a reasonable score from the game. Don't think you can say Arsenal looked like winning & I thought Barca were not great 1st half. Ox-C scoring would've been handy.

Either Welbeck or Walcott are a better selection than Giroud for a game like that. You can't play on the counter with Giroud as your only full time striker.

RooneyLegend

I am not sure if it was the approach or if it was that Bayern have simply been brilliant. We've seen them do that to many top teams but the response from Juve was phenomenal. I've long felt now what on earth do they have to do to be mentioned among the best teams. They were a game away from a treble, dominate one of the top European leagues and are on course for another double and yet seem to be rate behind the likes of Real and PSG for no good reason as far as I am concerned.
Nah, Juve visibly sat off Bayern.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Juve were terribly bad at beating pressing in first half, and even in 2nd had some dodgy transmissions. They didn't just choose to give the ball away.

There are some doubts over them despite their final last year because they lost key players and have never been really dominating in Europe, regularly struggling against teams like Sevilla, Gladbach, Olympiakos, Monaco, Galatasaray, Benfica... I wouldn't be surprised to see a comprehensive Bayern win in the second leg like they often do in Europe.

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout
Juve were terribly bad at beating pressing in first half, and even in 2nd had some dodgy transmissions. They didn't just chose to give the ball away.

There are some doubts over them despite their final last year because they lost key players and have never been really dominating in Europe, regularly struggling against teams like Sevilla, Gladbach, Olympiakos, Monaco, Galatasaray, Benfica... I wouldn't be surprised to see a comprehensive Bayern win in the second leg like they often do in Europe.
Which is a flaw that makes them no Barcelona or Bayern. But you can find flaws in Real, PSG, Atlético as well from a weak league to an inability to show authority and impose yourself against the better teams. My point is that their level over last year and this year is on par with those teams and just behind the top two.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Which is a flaw that makes them no Barcelona or Bayern. But you can find flaws in Real, PSG, Atlético as well from a weak league to an inability to show authority and impose yourself against the better teams. My point is that their level over last year and this year is on par with those teams and just behind the top two.
I'm not sure. If Bayern simply had 2 fit CBs they would have got away with the win.

They have worse players than Real or PSG and are not as impressive as a unit as Atletico.

Theonas

Scout
I'm not sure. If Bayern simply had 2 fit CBs they would have got away with the win.

They have worse players than Real or PSG and are not as impressive as a unit as Atletico.
Maybe! Atlético have worse players than Real as well and based on league finishes and head to heads, one cannot really argue they are inferior to Real over the past 5 years or so and I do think Juventus have better players than Atlético. As I said earlier, I am looking at the whole package; players, unit, work rate, mentality, flair, consistency, ... . If I consider all of these, I don't see how Juve are behind anyone bar Bayern and Barcelona.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I would rate the Juve roster in the Atletico or Dortmund bracket and their record in Europe besides the CL final run is not that good.

It's very close anyway and mostly nitpicking, most people put Juve in the tier just below the 2-3 dominant ones.

MDFC Manager

I would rate the Juve roster in the Atletico or Dortmund bracket and their record in Europe besides the CL final run is not that good.

It's very close anyway and mostly nitpicking, most people put Juve in the tier just below the 2-3 dominant ones.
Well, they're comfortably better than all the English clubs at least. Which is staggering given the financial differences between the two leagues

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I am not talking about Inter as a club. I am talking about that one particular team. If you ask anyone what were the best footballing sides out of the past decade, Inter 2010 would hardly feature in anyone's top list and the main reason for that is that winning itself is no longer enough with the bar being raised by the likes of Barcelona and Bayern. I think Manchester United should not settle for anything less than being the best and not merely "compete" with them.
You can always aim high but there is always the risk of getting deluded. Manchester United cannot high aim to be the best of Europe for a long long time. Step by step.

Why, Suarez, messi and Neymar must play every 90 minutes.... I would never want to be a young forward player in Barcelona at this time.
I wouldn't swap the first 3 either either for these matches, maybe Rakitic or Alves.

Yeahh, seems like he found them
Obviously my jinx worked :wenger:

Last edited:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Thought the Juve-Bayern game was brilliant, really enjoyed it. Obviously it felt a bit like a loss after we threw away the lead, but we looked much, much better than I thought we would, especially considering our awful away record in CL knockout games under Pep (only 1 win in 7 games now, including a loss and several draws against much worse sides than Juve). I also love Pep for praising Kimmich. He's doing a sensational job for his age and experience and I hope he continues to trust him, so that this one stupid mistake yesterday is soon forgotten. Good to see Benatia back, now hopefully he can stay healthy for the rest of the season so that we have at least one quality centerback available.

It's really a shame that we have to play each other so early, both teams are obviously good enough to reach at least the semifinal. So stupid that Juve threw away the win in their group despite beating City twice. Overall I think the 2-2 draw was a fair result. We lost our calm a bit too much after conceding, but that was to be expected with our inexperienced make-shift defense. It's still dangerous but our home record in the CL (the exception being the horrorshow against Real 2 years ago of course) makes me feel confident for the return leg.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Why did you get rid of that big defender and ship him to Sunderland? Could've been useful tonight.
A bit late to answer, was out with friends to watch the game. We sold Kirchhoff at the beginning of January when we had 3 fit centerbacks and the 4th was about to return. It really needed a massive injury crisis like this one for him to get any playing time and I don't think Kirchhoff would have started yesterday anyway, he looked awful everytime he played in the CL for us, even when he was part of a settled defense.

Vidal is playing very very well tonight. @Balu gave him some shit, but he is holding the defence together.:p
I kinda praised him a bit the last 2 weeks for starting to play well though ;).

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I like how Kevin gave the others fancy names yet Fellaini is simply an asshole.
:lol: What makes me it a bit odd is that @Kevin used to be a fan of Fellaini's, and used to eulogize his chest control as "scintillating".

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Thought the Juve-Bayern game was brilliant, really enjoyed it. Obviously it felt a bit like a loss after we threw away the lead, but we looked much, much better than I thought we would, especially considering our awful away record in CL knockout games under Pep (only 1 win in 7 games now, including a loss and several draws against much worse sides than Juve).
IIRC Barca's away record under Pep in CL knockouts was pretty bad as well. Very few wins against big teams away from home

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
IIRC Barca's away record under Pep in CL knockouts was pretty bad as well. Very few wins against big teams away from home
Yes, definitely true. I think he tries to play his possession approach in a more cautious way and it often backfires. He doesn't really commit into the strength of his tactics while keeping the ball for the sake of it can easily backfire if you make a single mistake at the back (like Kimmich's slightly miscontroled ball gifted Juve the 1-2 yesterday). At home, the players simply keep the intensity up, attack much more directly in transition and hurt the opponents consistently. Playing it safe through possession is such a dangerous game, it requires absolute flawless execution and every mistake is likely to be a quality chance for the opponent with almost no benefit in attack.

I was surprised that he didn't bring Alonso into the game after we conceded and obviously had lost control of the game. I think it would have been a smart subsitution for the final 25 minutes and would have helped immensely to get back a bit control, sit a bit deeper and see the game out on the counter like we tried to do with the Benatia in for Bernat substition anyway.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Can't stand it that's why the spanish league is driwel to my eyes..
Tbh it's a generalized behavior. Arsenal (Sanchez specially) were also guilty of throwing themselves on the floor and asking for their opponents' to be booked. It's an ugly side to football that needs to be accepted. My frustration goes beyond watching matches, I actually see similar behavior when I play amateur football. Players diving and doing their best to not get caught cheating. I mean wtf is going with football ?

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
Tbh it's a generalized behavior. Arsenal (Sanchez specially) were also guilty of throwing themselves on the floor and asking for their opponents' to be booked
Nope. Maybe there were one or two instances of Arsenal players going down easily but none of blatant diving like Alba or Rakitic or Alves or Neymar, among others.

amolbhatia50k

I never understand these posts. Gosh, why didn't the professional football players and coaches think of this? Someone really ought to tell them.
They didn't even really leave him alone. He played a pass and sprinted to receive the return pass, which Mertesacker duly played.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Well yeah they play exactly like us except they have the quality up top to win them the game which we sorely lack.
it's not my cup of tea but surely you can see the way they mould their attacks in order to create space in between defenders and midfielders to open up the channels to get different runners in behind. We don't play like barcelona at all.
I ended up turning off and watching the Juve - Bayern game, it was far more entertaining.

Timed it right to see the Juve fightback too.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Barca out of Arsenal's league. Arsenal reaching the same mediocre level year after year must have their fans desperate for a change.

amolbhatia50k

That's not what I said but I can understand the confusion. He is a cheat and he likes to wave imaginary cards. Better like this ?
No, he's an Arsenal player. They don't do "blatant diving", only "going down easily". It's not like Robert Pires ever played for them.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Tbh it's a generalized behavior. Arsenal (Sanchez specially) were also guilty of throwing themselves on the floor and asking for their opponents' to be booked. It's an ugly side to football that needs to be accepted. My frustration goes beyond watching matches, I actually see similar behavior when I play amateur football. Players diving and doing their best to not get caught cheating. I mean wtf is going with football ?
I think Alba and Alves were a whole other level to anything else I've seen away from Costa this season. Could be bias/ emotion of the night talking, but they were shocking.

This was the height of it:

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Alba can lose his composure too easily which is a shame, the theatrics about the nonexistent blow to his face was pathetic. I fully appreciate why opponents & their fans can dislike the player.