Chelsea 2017/18 thread - FA Cup Champs, League chumps

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I actually think Chelsea sort of saved themselves with Zappacosta and Drinkwater. They needed the numbers in depth.
Agreed. Their first 11 was comfortably the best performing in the Premier League last season, they just needed a little extra depth which they've now got with Drinkwater an able CM deputy and Zappacosta - at the minimum - an able deputy for both full back positions (or emergency centre-back).

Rudiger is an upgrade on their CB options, Bakayoko an upgrade on Matic (at least in Conte's system) and while Morata isn't Costa, he does still look quality and nowhere near as temperamental.

Big emphasis was placed adding to team spirit.

antihenry

CAF GRU Rep
I don't think £35m for Drinkwater, £40m for Chamberlain or Barkley, makes sense under any circumstances. I can't recall too many instances of teams with title winning ambitions, signing this calibre of player, and it actually working to their advantage. If you sign squad players, what you tend to end up with is squad players playing in your first team, and the quality of the team and therefore results, dropping off. Whenever United have tried it, this has happened. You've done it in the past (notably when Jose whinged about it when he was there the first time around, and then walked out).

If a player isn't good enough to be in the first team, generally it means they are not good enough. If you play them 40 times a season, that's 40 times you are picking a player who isn't good enough. If you play them 10 times a season, that's still 10 times you are playing a player who isn't good enough. The team might get the result anyway...but the more you're picking players who are at a lower level, the more chances of you not getting the result you want/expect in games. The more of these players you have, the more likely you are to pick them.

Yeah you have to balance between having enough players, and having a good enough team, as you're not going to get 22 players who are all top quality and happy to sit around on the bench half the time. When you try to buy 3 or 4 of them in the last couple of days of the transfer window though, I just find this strange. You have a decent enough squad to not have to do that, from what I can see. You won't not win the league this season because you failed to sign Ross Barkley and play him instead of someone better than him.

I mean we're not talking about players who we don't really know much about. We all know exactly what these players can and can't do. It's the same with Evans and City...I don't get it. This is a player who wasn't good enough for United when our best defender was Chris Smalling and we were struggling for a top four place.
I don't disagree with any of the points, just want to mention that nowadays, particularly in EPL, all clubs have lots of money and the asking price for even slightly better than average players is quite often unreasonably high.

Also, in case of Chelsea, the particular interest in signing Barkley, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Drinkwater had probably something to do with the homegrown rule and the club has been struggling to fill it over the years. Having an English core is also something that probably appeals to the owner. Spurs have done very well in that respect, with a few exceptions they've got the best British talent around. However, for obvious reasons, they, by and large, aren't for sale.

Also FFP makes it very difficult to take big money risks in the transfer market, unless, of course, you're sponsored by the oil states and basically live in your own world when it comes to spending money. Even the biggest clubs out there have to think about balancing the books at the end of the day, no matter how high their ambitions are.

Last edited:

AllezLesDiables

Aside from openly being rebuffed by targets, selling players who are key for rivals, and not adding another dynamic attacking player, Chelsea's window hasn't been too bad.

Why Chelsea didn't go after Mahrez is beyond me.

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Aside from openly being rebuffed by targets, selling players who are key for rivals, and not adding another dynamic attacking player, Chelsea's window hasn't been too bad.

Why Chelsea didn't go after Mahrez is beyond me.
Imagine how Mahrez feels that Drinkwater went to a top club over him. Must be devastated, oh well

Sunspear17

Supports
Chelsea
Would be fantastic if Conte and Costa could sit down face to face and come to a mutual agreement for him to play until Jan then we will sell him to Atletico. Gives us striker depth and/or a partner for Morata too. I know it's unlikely, but if the club act as a mediator you never know. Wishful thinking of course, but we'll see. Would prefer him go out on a good note for him and the fans, rather than stay in Brazil until he moves to Spain.

CechMate1

Supports
Chelsea
I'm still gutted we never got Alex Sandro. I know Alonso has done very well but Sandro is one of the best wing backs in football. Him and Hazard on the left flank would have been devastating

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
I'm still gutted we never got Alex Sandro. I know Alonso has done very well but Sandro is one of the best wing backs in football. Him and Hazard on the left flank would have been devastating
I'd say Alonso is your best player and he is a sure thing to do great in the EPL. He is proven here, who knows how Sandro would have ended. Why fix something that isnt broken?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Now that the transfer window is done, let's move on to other topics.

Some tough matches coming up.

Winning all 7 would be perfect but playing City after Atletico away is tough. Also Liverpool away around November after a trip from Qarabag in Azerbaijan, Conte should just rest up the players and maybe take a scrappy win from the Bag

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Now that the transfer window is done, let's move on to other topics.

Some tough matches coming up.

Winning all 7 would be perfect but playing City after Atletico away is tough. Also Liverpool away around November after a trip from Qarabag in Azerbaijan, Conte should just rest up the players and maybe take a scrappy win from the Bag

Chelsea could realistically drop point in all those league fixtures. That's how ridiculous this league is.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Chelsea could realistically drop point in all those league fixtures. That's how ridiculous this league is.
Nah, I can see them dropping points to Leicester and City, the others will be routine wins.

AshfordLad

6-7 seasons since arsenal got anything at the Bridge and now they are considerably weaker. You'd think that one is winnable.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
Between the 17th and 30th is 5 games in 13 days, ouch. Although all the CL sides face this.

I would say Forest will mostly face a reserve side and City will be the toughest challenge.

Arsenal should not be such a challenge as have 5 days prep before facing them.

Kapardin

6-7 seasons since arsenal got anything at the Bridge and now they are considerably weaker. You'd think that one is winnable.
Keep hearing this. Actually, Arsenal are stronger than last season. They have Lacazette and Kolasinac, and been able to keep Sanchez. Ox is not a big loss.

They can easily start beating the lower teams as usual and mount a top 4 challenge again. The only question would be whether the players want to play for Wenger, and even if they do, would Wenger stop doing silly things like dropping his best players for Welbeck and getting his tactics hopelessly wrong. And to be fair, its' sure as hell a big Q.

D2Z

Supports
Undercover "Chelsea fan" ;)
Keep hearing this. Actually, Arsenal are stronger than last season. They have Lacazette and Kolasinac, and been able to keep Sanchez. Ox is not a big loss.

They can easily start beating the lower teams as usual and mount a top 4 challenge again. The only question would be whether the players want to play for Wenger, and even if they do, would Wenger stop doing silly things like dropping his best players for Welbeck and getting his tactics hopelessly wrong. And to be fair, its' sure as hell a big Q.
Is that you Arsene? Arsenal are stronger this season? :lol:

Kapardin

Is that you Arsene? Arsenal are stronger this season? :lol:
Not mentally perhaps. But keeping all their key players + adding Lacazette and Kolasinac surely means they strengthened on paper? Doesn't mean they are title challengers.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Not mentally perhaps. But keeping all their key players + adding Lacazette and Kolasinac surely means they strengthened on paper? Doesn't mean they are title challengers.
It would appear as though Wenger has lost the dressing room, Sanchez was kept at the club against his will and his performances on the pitch will reflect that, the defense is as weak as ever and last but not least Wenger is still running the club.

They are a far cry from the Arsenal we know and hate. Relegation is clearly looming.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

They can easily start beating the lower teams as usual and mount a top 4 challenge again.
Have you actually seen Arsenal play this season?

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Nah, I can see them dropping points to Leicester and City, the others will be routine wins.
Considering they just lost to Burnley at home, I would not say they are immune to dropping points against teams that look much weaker on paper.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Considering they just lost to Burnley at home, I would not say they are immune to dropping points against teams that look much weaker on paper.
I don't think you can use a game where we went down to 9 players and still almost came back as particularly relevant to our strength.

Kapardin

Have you actually seen Arsenal play this season?
That's why I said question marks remain. Players don't want to play for Wenger and his tactics are a mess in any case. Merely pointed out that on paper, it is no different a squad from any other season and if they put their minds to it, they could challenge for top 4.

Like everyone else, I too believe though that the players won't be up for it.

Sarni

Keeping your key players and adding two decent footballers does not necessarily mean you have done a good job and are stronger, especially if your two best players are expiring and don't want to be there anymore.

Sarni

I don't think you can use a game where we went down to 9 players and still almost came back as particularly relevant to our strength.
Weren't you already trailing when Cahill got sent off?

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
That's why I said question marks remain. Players don't want to play for Wenger and his tactics are a mess in any case. Merely pointed out that on paper, it is no different a squad from any other season and if they put their minds to it, they could challenge for top 4.

Like everyone else, I too believe though that the players won't be up for it.
Would agree with this. The problem stems from Wenger and the media barrage against their faults. If those players want to play they will pick up points against shit sides, they are easily capable of getting a top four position. They look like they're imploding though, it's an interesting month coming up.

Sarni

No, we were all over them, and it looked like being a normal comfortable win.
Ah okay. Can't properly judge team that had a man missing for 80 minutes. Still, anything can happen. Stoke away is also a tough game because you don't know when they decide to play.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Ah okay. Can't properly judge team that had a man missing for 80 minutes. Still, anything can happen. Stoke away is also a tough game because you don't know when they decide to play.
I always kind of dread Stoke games, although our record against them since they came back up to the top flight really isn't bad. W15-D3-L3.

Sarni

I always kind of dread Stoke games, although our record against them since they came back up to the top flight really isn't bad. W15-D3-L3.
We also seemed to beat them often but I still hated those games. These days I just flat out hate them.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
We also seemed to beat them often but I still hated those games. These days I just flat out hate them.
Yeah, your record (W12-D4-L2) is very similar to ours. They're just a pain in the ass to play though, and I really hate it when they get thuggish and you're spending 90 minutes praying your best players don't wind up with a broken leg.