Chelsea under Conte | Let's sign the next Hazard, literally.

GailSpaceWynand

Yes, I signed up with this name.
Not everything is bollocks but the Costa stuff proved (he was playing days later) to be and so will this.

These "journalists" take a tiny snippet of info (eg Costa and Conte had an argument in training) and turn it into "Chelsea's season in turmoil". It's ridiculous.
There are a few who exaggerate the headlines but when multiple sources were quoting the rift - It was true - not quite the complete meltdown some would have you believe but the basic premise was true. I don't believe that Conte will leave but I believe that differences have cropped up - how the board and Conte deal with it is the unknown.

JoaquinJoaquin

Is Conte's behavior in this case really classy though?
Perhaps not, but surely when he agreed to join Chelsea he was given assuarances in regards to money and transfer say. So if the club are going back on their word and his hands are tied of course he will be frustrated. If he has told Costa he can leave surely that must of been on the basis he was told he would be free to get Lukaku, because in what other dimension would you ever do that?

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So many have reported this story, so obviously it's not some journalist making up story.

Not sure Conte will walk though, Chelsea will spend big and sign the players but looking at every big club it looks like every club is shocked by the market and how the prices have shot up, especially for players who had good season.

Djemba-Djemba

Probably just Conte trying to scare the Chelsea hierarchy into giving him more money this transfer window.

I'd be surprised if he actually did walk away from the job.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Surely, probably, maybe he was given those assurances. But that does not mean that Everton could fleece us.
Never thought that Lukaku leaving was a good idea, but to buy him back for that kind of money would be ridiculous.

For all the managers that have been coming and going, most people should realize by now that there is a solid structure at Chelsea which is independent of the manager.

Stacks

It'll be more specifically the club not being proactive enough in the transfer market in general rather than just one player. It's the same frustration Jose had the summer before it all went tits up

What I would say is Chelsea aren't the only club struggling to do business this summer, everyone got a little too ahead of themselves getting caught up in City's early business and now even they've hit a brick wall with their moves for the likes of Mendy and Walker
Conte needs to calm down. I know its muppet season but its only middle of June FFS. As the runaway leaders, they have less to do. Have Spurs, Barcelona, Juve or Liverpool signed anyone?
Its been like this for a while, Abramovich has been spending responsibly trying to get things under order at Chelsea after pumping loads of money into the club.

The only problem is that there are two other teams in the League that can spend £100 million net every season without a hitch.
its not a problem. Before OScar was sold in December, Chelsea had spent £80 million net last season. The Oscar transfer skewed the view of many but Oscar was sold as he was surplus. At that point though, they had spent a lot too.
Theyve had a small net spend in the past few years.

They already spent the Oscar money on their incomings in the season just gone, since Oscar left in January they would have taken his fee into account for the season.

I wouldnt be surprised if Chelsea have an underwhelming transfer season and they underperform as a result. Transfers have been a problem for Mourinho and Ancelotti at Chelsea.
I don't get that. They bought their players in summer. they started the season like that and sold Oscar months after they had made their transfers. How does that mean they spend their Oscar money when he was sold further down the line?

prath92

Independent says Chelsea don't expect him to leave. His problem seems to be the signings aren't done yet but emenalo expects signings to be done soon.

ti vu

Conte needs to calm down. I know its muppet season but its only middle of June FFS. As the runaway leaders, they have less to do. Have Spurs, Barcelona, Juve or Liverpool signed anyone?

its not a problem. Before OScar was sold in December, Chelsea had spent £80 million net last season. The Oscar transfer skewed the view of many but Oscar was sold as he was surplus. At that point though, they had spent a lot too.

I don't get that. They bought their players in summer. they started the season like that and sold Oscar months after they had made their transfers. How does that mean they spend their Oscar money when he was sold further down the line?
I guess that poster was hinting at football club finance is more complex than just sell player to raise fund to buy player. For example, Chelsea lost money for not competing in Europe. Selling a player who yield good fee while not being an integral part of the plan is to cover for that loss than actually increasing the budget significantly.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
He needs to chill. Nobody's going to "steal" Lukaku under their nose for 90 fecking million.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Surely, probably, maybe he was given those assurances. But that does not mean that Everton could fleece us.
Never thought that Lukaku leaving was a good idea, but to buy him back for that kind of money would be ridiculous.

For all the managers that have been coming and going, most people should realize by now that there is a solid structure at Chelsea which is independent of the manager.
Seems to be the problem here.
Looks like Conte wants more control and this battle over transfers is just an extension of that.
Still expect him to stay though.

prath92

It's possible that he didn't want lukaku but wanted Morata. Like how mourinho wanted stones but got djilobodji

idmanager

Conte does have a fair amount of fault here. He could have been more kinder to Costa in case something like this could have happened. He knows that bridge is burnt and he can't count on Costa. Not having a top top striker could be detrimental to his second season.

But then again, you knows what happens at Chelsea when you don't win stuff after winning stuff. You get fired. So just from a Chelsea point of view, it is fair enough for him to put the warning board up.

This Atletico ban has caused more problem to the PL clubs than anyone else. Sigh.

Stacks

He needs to chill. Nobody's going to "steal" Lukaku under their nose for 90 fecking million.
exactly. With 2 years left on his contract, Everton are not in a strong bargaining position. in 1 year and a half, he can start talking to clubs for a free move. No one else will pay 90 million for him. I reckon he'll go for 60 million pounds

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I am sure Everton is praying they still do else i have no idea where the toffees will find the money to pay for all their new signings. They have already spent £50m+ on Pickford and Klaassen
We were taken over last year. We have lots of money now.

Infra-red

He's making a fuss to kick Chelsea in to action re securing his preferred transfer targets. It will all be resolved with a couple of signings. Nothing to see here.

ti vu

exactly. With 2 years left on his contract, Everton are not in a strong bargaining position. in 1 year and a half, he can start talking to clubs for a free move. No one else will pay 90 million for him. I reckon he'll go for 60 million pounds
You're underestimating the market craziness. Everton just paid 30 mil for an uncapped GK from relegated team. 2 years of good service may be worth it than taking 60 mil and reinvest in uncertainty players which at this summer wouldn't get you many. Lukaku has to perform to cement in Belgium NT for next year WC. Chelsea is desperate now that Conte burned bridge with Costa. There is
no going back. There is no guarantee that Lukaku would remain his determine to join Chelsea next summer in case Chelsea may have an underwhelming season, while Juventus thinks it's time to sell Dybala &reinvest, or AC Milan revival is a success... come knocking with 40 mil bid. Everton wouldn't want to sell Lukaku domestically... or they can still gt 60 mil next season as the market gets evn crazier.... Many things can change in one year.

Last edited:

Robertd0803

Probably wont lead to anything but its great fun watching nonsense like this at another club especially when its Chelsea yet again.

There were rumours back in January as well that Conte was unhappy because Chelsea didn't invest wasn't there? Now there is a very public bust up (again) with Costa and more strife between manager and board (again).

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Antonio Conte is committed to Chelsea and will return for pre-season in the first week of July, according to Sky sources.

There were reports this morning that he's not happy with Chelsea over a lack of singings. But we understand he is happy at the club and those reports are false.

Chelsea are calm over the speculation, which they consider to be unfounded, and sources at the club say it is business as usual.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
ESPN:

LONDON -- Antonio Conte is not close to leaving Chelsea and has not expressed frustration with their transfer strategy or management structure, sources close to the club have told ESPN FC.

On Thursday, reports in Italy and England claimed Conte was on the verge of quitting after losing patience with Chelsea's speed of movement on his transfer targets and a lack of communication with owner Roman Abramovich.

Sources close to the club, however, said Conte had relayed no such concerns to the board.

The coach is on holiday with his family, and the expectation at Stamford Bridge is that talks over a contract extension will resume when he returns.

Conte enjoyed a supportive relationship with Abramovich last season, notably in the wake of early defeats to Liverpool and Arsenal when the two spent three days at Cobham discussing how to improve the team's fortunes.

Sources at the club also said Conte has a line of contact to Marina Granovskaia, Chelsea's chief deal-maker, and an excellent relationship with technical director Michael Emenalo and head of youth development Neil Bath.

Chelsea have yet to make a signing this summer despite an interest in several players, including Everton striker Romelu Lukaku and Monaco midfielder Tiemoue Bakayoko, being widely reported.

Manchester City, in contrast, have already spent the best part of £100 million to acquire playmaker Bernardo Silva from Monaco and goalkeeper Ederson from Benfica.

Last summer, Chelsea did not complete their first signing until July 3, when striker Michy Batshuayi arrived in a £33 million deal from Marseille.

salford_

Not everything is bollocks but the Costa stuff proved (he was playing days later) to be and so will this.

These "journalists" take a tiny snippet of info (eg Costa and Conte had an argument in training) and turn it into "Chelsea's season in turmoil". It's ridiculous.
you're right in a way. But i have to admit the base story that Conte is unhappy, is likely correct. I dont think he'll walk, but i think there is tension. He has previous.

Conte and Costa was proven to be correct, too.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
C'mon this all has to be bullshit

WPMUFC

C'mon this all has to be bullshit
I've known Di Marzio to get stories wrong, but I don't think i've ever seen him openly post BS rumours like "messi and ronaldo to MUFC". He's obviously heard something. I'd imagine the Juve fans are right on this one, he's making a powerplay because the board are hesitating on his transfers.

Juve fans have been saying all day that he walked from Juve because of transfers.

sinicalypse

Supports
Woolwich Wanderers
Couldn't happen to a nicer club! Hopefully the stories are true. He would have been perfect for the Gooners.

Since Arsene went out of his way to remind the "Wenger Out Brigade" (#WOB/s) that no supporter uprising was going to run Him out of His club; I can only assume that if there was a concurrent groundswell of support for a certain manager to replace Wenger that He would go to the board and inform them that they are never hiring that other manager... :nono:

(SEE: Mourinho, José) ;)

That said, Conte could definitely manage my team. I reckon his name would have excited me unlike, say, those Allegri pipe-dre... rumors that surfaced around the holidays!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I've known Di Marzio to get stories wrong, but I don't think i've ever seen him openly post BS rumours like "messi and ronaldo to MUFC". He's obviously heard something. I'd imagine the Juve fans are right on this one, he's making a powerplay because the board are hesitating on his transfers.

Juve fans have been saying all day that he walked from Juve because of transfers.
I don't doubt there are some issues. Clearly look at the Costa text, but Chelsea angling to sack him I do not believe.