Chelsea vs. Manchester United

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
I like the line-up. Hernadez always turns up against Chelsea, so let’s hope he does today too. No Rvp or Rooney, but it makes sense resting them for City tbh. I just hope Rooney isn't injured with him not even on the bench.

EDIT: Just seen above the Rooney pick up a groin injury ffs. Hopefully a speedy recovery.

Castia

Not really happy with that team if im honest. How Valencia keeps starting is beyond me while Giggs didn't play on Saturday I thought he would have started today. No Rafael, Rooney or Evans cant be helped if they are injured but its a blow to see all 3 of them out for this.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
This is weird, why rest Rooney in possibly the most important game of the rest of season when we could basically spare him until the semi-final if we qualified? We have the league done already and we put a squad without our two best forwards against Chelsea, weird.

Brightonian

Team looks about right to me except for Rooney's exclusion. I didn't expect RVP to be involved after he played 90 against Sunderland and then his comments about the difficulties of playing two games so close together.

Basically, it's two approaches to playing two matches close together. Fergie rested some vs Sunderland and is resting others today. Benitez rested loads vs Southhampton, and is playing pretty much his best team today. Fergie's approach is the reason we're 15 points clear in the league, but it might also be the reason we lose today.

I don't see a slight on Rooney here. Fergie is protecting his important players whilst we're doing well and sitting pretty. If the league gets hairier later on, Rooney will still be very fresh to help us power through. Also, it reflects his growing trust in Welbeck as a big game player, which is nice and thoroughly deserved.

EDIT: Or he's injured. Which would make sense too.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
Think ill back Nani and Hernandez to score for you guys, I have probably jinxed him in the Nani thread and Hernandez always scores vs us. Other than that happy to see no RVP, Rooney starting, we are strong favorites according to the bookies, but not taking anything for granted.

Joker

Why are so many here in the pre-match thread acting like we're a League Two side playing against Chelsea. We have a great squad and a great chance of winning.

LR7

This is weird, why rest Rooney in possibly the most important game of the rest of season when we could basically spare him until the semi-final if we qualified? We have the league done already and we put a squad without our two best forwards against Chelsea, weird.
Rooney isn't rested MUTV say he picked up a groin injury with England

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I assume Valencia is in to double up against Mata, which I have no problem with. He needs to contribute something offensively though.

Castia

Think ill back Nani and Hernandez to score for you guys, I have probably jinxed him in the Nani thread and Hernandez always scores vs us. Other than that happy to see no RVP, Rooney starting, we are strong favorites according to the bookies, but not taking anything for granted.
I think Chelsea will look at our team and see no Rooney, RvP, Rafael and Vidic and must surely fancy their chances. I dont know how Carrick will be today either after playing 90 minutes on Saturday.

We have a few player (Jones, Nani, Hernandez) who haven't played much at all lately either, I dont know how they will perform today.

Northstand

Not optimistic at all after seeing the line-up. No Rafael, Vidic or Evans at the back and no Rooney or Van Persie up front. For all our impressive squad depth, that has to weaken us drastically.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
It clearly isn't, and the league remains the biggest priority.We could still lose it and until it's mathematically impossible for City to win it, SAF will still field his strongest side in the PL.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Can I just confirm, Rooney is not playing at all is he? Only I just laid Rooney to score on Betfair and someone took it!

Ash_G

I honestly don't get how Valencia keeps his place in the team each time, even if he did nothing particularly bad against Sunderland he hardly have much to the team beyond his work rate, surprised that giggs didn't start given his form.

Chelsea team is strong with them actually playing their main 3 in Oscar mata and hazard but hopefully that'll open some space for us to exploit on the counter.

LR7

Why did SAF not say that on Saturday, I dont see a problem with saying he is injured.

I still think we can win, it will just be a bit harder now.
Maybe he didn't want to give Chelsea any clues?

RonaldoVII

If Rooney was injured on International duty then why did we play RVP against Sunderland? The league is wrapped up, he should've been saved for today.

Brightonian

Why did SAF not say that on Saturday, I dont see a problem with saying he is injured.

I still think we can win, it will just be a bit harder now.
Because then Benitez knows Rooney probably won't play today, and can make plans accordingly. By not saying anything on Saturday, Fergie lets everyone assume Rooney's just being rested for today, making his exclusion a surprise for Chelsea. Not rocket science.

If Rooney was injured on International duty then why did we play RVP against Sunderland? The league is wrapped up, he should've been saved for today.
Maybe Fergie trusts Hernandez (who always scores against Chelsea) and Welbeck (who was probably our best player in both legs against Madrid)?

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Can I just confirm, Rooney is not playing at all is he? Only I just laid Rooney to score on Betfair and someone took it!
Surely the bet's void and both you and the backer get the money refunded?

Sarni

It clearly isn't, and the league remains the biggest priority.We could still lose it and until it's mathematically impossible for City to win it, SAF will still field his strongest side in the PL.
Nonsense, we are 15 points ahead with 9 games left. We'd have to have the worst run ever in PL to lose it from now, not to mention City would have to go on the best run since takeover to capitalise on that. League is over though some wi say it's tight when we are 15 points ahead with 6 games left.

Rooney injured makes sense.

LR7

Or we could have subbed RvP off early against Sunderland surely.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Surely the bet's void and both you and the backer get the money refunded?
I think I accidentally lost money once when rushing about betting, and accidently backed a game which was 1-0 to the home team to end 0-1 to the away team at 1000/1 I didnt get refunded, even though I had backed an impossible score. Could be a free bit of money, could be a void bet though.

pauldyson1uk

I agree

Because then Benitez knows Rooney probably won't play today, and can make plans accordingly. By not saying anything on Saturday, Fergie lets everyone assume Rooney's just being rested for today, making his exclusion a surprise for Chelsea. Not rocket science.
can see what you mean, but I think RAFA would of put the same side out today , whoever we had in the team.

Sarni

I think I accidentally lost money once when rushing about betting, and accidently backed a game which was 1-0 to the home team to end 0-1 to the away team at 1000/1 I didnt get refunded, even though I had backed an impossible score. Could be a free bit of money, could be a void bet though.
It won't. Bet is void if he doesn't play.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Didn't see Rooney not playing, so a real chance for Welbeck and Hernandez to show what they can do.

Surprised but not exactly disappointed to see Giggs not starting too.

Midfield is about as strong as we can field. Defence isn't too far off either.

We hopefully have a decent shot at it.

Welbeck can do the Rooney role of dropping deep. He'll have to as Chelsea will have 5in midfield

gamma1

It seems Rooney's not even on the bench. Did he pick up a late training injury or is there another issue that we're unaware of? Apart from Rooney's exclusion, the rest of the team looks okay. I hope Nani has a good game coming back from injury. I expect Welbeck to play a vital role in attack which may very well be the deciding factor in this important match.