Chicharito Loan Watch | Real Madrid

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
He's a good player and will be remembered fondly here but I think he needs to go.

It's funny a few years ago when he was banging in the goals for us we would have been sick to look 2-4 years down the line and see him scoring an important goal for Real Madrid. Not really the devastating circumstances you would have imagined that scenario to be though...

RedorDead21

I still think this player at Arsenal would score loads of goals. A player to finish off all those chances they insist on walking into the net. An end to tipy tappy in the penalty box. Boom.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I still think this player at Arsenal would score loads of goals. A player to finish off all those chances they insist on walking into the net. An end to tipy tappy in the penalty box. Boom.
He doesn't suit Arsenal style plus Giroud is much better than him. He needs to go to a team where he'll be required to finish chances put on a plate for him without contributing much to their overall gameplay. Maybe Dortmund could take a punt on him if Tuchel decides to alter their style a little, I think they have the personnel to feed him and his pace would suit them fine. Milan or Inter could be a good destination for him too, they're in so much of a mess right now that they could certainly use a player who can simply finish off chances although I'm not sure Hernandez would find himself in a disfunctional team.

There isn't a Premier League side he'd be suited to without having to take a massive step down. He's been in Europe for 5 years and has played for Manchester United and Real Madrid scoring vital goals in Champions League, he may as well retire before he contemplates joining Stoke or Sunderland.

Acole9

Outstanding
Tap in or not good luck to the lad I'm pleased for him. Heck I'd even have him back here next season rather than sign Falcao any day.

Kag

Good on him. He'll always score goals. He won't be doing that with any regularity at any side battling for major honours, however. He won't be going for any more than £15 million either.

Take the profit and wish the very best of luck to the guy. He did well here.

Kag

He would walk into Atletico's side.
Exactly the sort of thing that regularly gets trotted out regarding Hernandez yet exactly the sort of thing that is very unlikely to happen.

Top teams want more than Hernandez has to offer. They'll all take him in their squad, as a very nice option, but very few managers will build an attack around his limited and, at times, really quite lame build up play.

I think Mandzukic is a better player and more of a rounded option to play the striking role for them.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Exactly the sort of thing that regularly gets trotted out regarding Hernandez yet exactly the sort of thing that is very unlikely to happen.

Top teams want more than Hernandez has to offer. They'll all take him in their squad, as a very nice option, but very few managers will build an attack around his limited and, at times, really quite lame build up play.

I think Mandzukic is a better player and more of a rounded option to play the striking role for them.
Yeah Mandzukic sure offered a lot yesterday.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
The problem with that line of reasoning is that it's not allowed to play 12 men. If you create a lot of chanches you need a finisher, play a finisher and you need to create more chances.

adexkola

Supports
Right? He's still scored twenty goals for Atletico already this season and boasts a better all round game than Hernandez. I'm not really sure how the latter walks in ahead of him.
Hernandez can score goals. That is a fact. The all round game remark is rapidly becoming a cliche. He's not as good as Mandzukic at it, but he's not useless when scoring, as yesterday's game and countless others with us and Madrid have shown. He is awesome at scoring from setpieces, a cornerstone of Atletico's play. They have excellent midfielders who can focus on the buildup, so he would slot right in.

Kag

Hernandez can score goals. That is a fact. The all round game remark is rapidly becoming a cliche. He's not as good as Mandzukic at it, but he's not useless when scoring, as yesterday's game and countless others with us and Madrid have shown. He is awesome at scoring from setpieces, a cornerstone of Atletico's play. They have excellent midfielders who can focus on the buildup, so he would slot right in.
He scores plenty of goals, that's never been up for debate. His movement inside the box is genuinely incredible. It's right there with the best about, for me.

But I don't think he criticism of his all round game is a cliché. It just isn't very good. Nowhere near good enough to carry a team that wants to make a run for the major honours, anyway. It it was good enough then he'd still be at United, to be honest.

The fact that he can scores goals so effortlessly is the reason why good clubs will make a move for him in the summer. But what will transpire thereafter, in my opinion, will be more of the same. Intermittent starts and a very good goals to games ratio.

RooneyLegend

He'd suit atletico down to a T and I'll be shocked if they don't sign him after the do over he gave those defenders last night. He's an incredible goal threat, and pity for him we live in an age where some feel a strikers all round game somehow counts more than whether he puts the ball in the back of the net or not. Plays like hernandez decide games cause they are always a threat, no matter how congested the box is or which phase of play the game is in, he's always a threat. He gave atletico more trouble than benzema has in all the other games combined, just cause of his movement. Pity his finishing was off as he'd have easily bagged a hattrick last night.

adexkola

Supports
He'd suit atletico down to a T and I'll be shocked if they don't sign him after the do over he gave those defenders last night. He's an incredible goal threat, and pity for him we live in an age where some feel a strikers all round game somehow counts more than whether he puts the ball in the back of the net or not. Plays like hernandez decide games cause they are always a threat, no matter how congested the box is or which phase of play the game is in, he's always a threat. He gave atletico more trouble than benzema has in all the other games combined, just cause of his movement. Pity his finishing was off as he'd have easily bagged a hattrick last night.
Good points.

RooneyLegend

Mandzukic isn't better and isn't a better option for them. He posses next to no threat on the counter and has quite limited ability on the ball. Its not like he's some aerial beast either. Midtable prem striker at best IMO.

Kag

Mandzukic isn't better and isn't a better option for them. He posses next to no threat on the counter and has quite limited ability on the ball. Its not like he's some aerial beast either. Midtable prem striker at best IMO.
Many great strikers aren't necessarily suited perfectly for playing on the counter. Atletico can allow for Mandzukic because they have Griezmann to provide that outlet.

He's better than Hernandez at controlling the ball, involving himself in the play and holding up the ball, hugely important traits to have as the lone forward. If you compare their goal records, he's actually just as good at putting the ball in the back of the net, to be honest. Perhaps better.

When it comes to Hernandez, people have a tendency to inflate his finishing ability as a result of his wider limitations. Rooney has been putting away more difficult chances for years but we'll still find a few nutters on here that reckon Hernandez is the best finisher at the club.

We don't live in an age whereby the art of scoring goals is undervalued, but we, and managers involved in the game as of now, certainly see the need for having a balanced, rounded centre forward that can do a bit of everything.

As for Mandzukic, he isn't a mid table striker in the slightest. Like Hernandez, he'd make for a worthy squad man, but ultimately not the man you would rely on to carry the can up top. It's why Atletico will strive for better than the pair of them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I would have him back no questions asked if he was happy coming in and being a bit part player. I have a feeling he will accept a role at a smaller club like Tottenham/Valencia/Sevilla next though. He works his absolute socks off and always plays with a smile on his face, he is a top professional and deserve a great rest of his career.

NL Max

Dutch ITK, for reals
There is unfortunately no chance he would play under van Gaal. He would be 3rd or 4th choice max.

Van Gaal always plays with a target man who is good at holding up the ball with his back to goal and linking up the play, this isn't Hernandez' game. This is why I'm sure he will leave. It's better for all parties if he leaves after this season, he wants games and he will not get them here. I doubt RM wants him, he needs a club to suit his strengths.

Darwin09

Theory of Thread Pollution
Earlier in the season Falcao's movement in the box was absolutely incredible. It was noted at various times both on the Caf and by journos/commentators. It seems that as his confidence has declined this season, he's lost that sharpness and anticipation. But watch some of his earlier performances for us and you'll see Falcao getting into those positions and dragging defenders all over the place.
Interesting observation...I would agree based on my recollection. He looked eager to score. Interesting back then we were having problems with providing service...now we have found a system to provide decent service and his movement is lacking.

Bebe

Interesting observation...I would agree based on my recollection. He looked eager to score. Interesting back then we were having problems with providing service...now we have found a system to provide decent service and his movement is lacking.
Think it's down to form and confidence. I agree, against Chelsea he was rarely able to find space (should probably credit Terry and Cahill for that as well) and kept coming short in search of the ball rather than stretching the defense. Definitely a shame because I think an on form Falcao would be scoring bucketloads in our current team.

It's why I can't stand the idea that Falcao (or rvp, etc) has suddenly turned shit at football. Same goes for how Smalling was castigated following the City loss, etc etc. Things are usually more complicated.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I'd like to sell him abroad seriously, I think it will come back to bite us badly if we sell him to a PL side, unlike Wéle, Chicharito knows where the goal is, if his team mates can get the ball in and around the box he'll bury them at a fairly consistent rate despite his lack of overal gameplay.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
There is unfortunately no chance he would play under van Gaal. He would be 3rd or 4th choice max.

Van Gaal always plays with a target man who is good at holding up the ball with his back to goal and linking up the play, this isn't Hernandez' game. This is why I'm sure he will leave.
That's not entirely true, he also has a soft spot for finishers. The back to goal striker is the type that fits his style, but he has difficulty resisting the temptation to add the goals a finisher should score, ignoring that playing a finisher generally also costs goals. Hence the signing of Falcao.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Wouldn't mind him coming back. Doubt van Gaal feels the same given his touch and passing are sub par. Most likely that goal added a few million quid onto his price tag.

RooneyLegend

Many great strikers aren't necessarily suited perfectly for playing on the counter. Atletico can allow for Mandzukic because they have Griezmann to provide that outlet.

He's better than Hernandez at controlling the ball, involving himself in the play and holding up the ball, hugely important traits to have as the lone forward. If you compare their goal records, he's actually just as good at putting the ball in the back of the net, to be honest. Perhaps better.

When it comes to Hernandez, people have a tendency to inflate his finishing ability as a result of his wider limitations. Rooney has been putting away more difficult chances for years but we'll still find a few nutters on here that reckon Hernandez is the best finisher at the club.

We don't live in an age whereby the art of scoring goals is undervalued, but we, and managers involved in the game as of now, certainly see the need for having a balanced, rounded centre forward that can do a bit of everything.

As for Mandzukic, he isn't a mid table striker in the slightest. Like Hernandez, he'd make for a worthy squad man, but ultimately not the man you would rely on to carry the can up top. It's why Atletico will strive for better than the pair of them.
When the team is going to play basically all the big games on the counter, having a striker that possesses close to no threat on the counter is an issue. Griezmann plays deeper than him, having him as the main threat on the counter, and main ball carrier causes them problems to no end.

He's better than hernandez at controlling the ball, but is still mediocre at it. His hold up play is not exceptional, all these qualities that he's better than hernandez at haven't stood the test when he's been put up against quality defenders or defensive set ups. He also doesn't play as a lone forward, Griezmann is there and despite being the deeper man, has been the main source of goals for Atletico this season.

Hernandez barely plays, so comparing his goal record to other players is pretty pointless. Its in these moments that an eye test works better than just stats. Hernandez is a bigger goal threat than Mandzukic, it really is that simple.
Well, hernandez isn't the greatest finisher out there, but what sets him apart is his movement and positioning. While the likes of rooney may have the technique to score the more difficult goals, hernandez will earn the easier ones, regardless of what sort of match it is. He's a threat in every phase of play and most of these forwards nowadays are liable to being nullified in certain types of games. Anyways, mandzukic isn't the sort to score the difficult chances or create space for himself to score so that's irrelevant.

Precisely where teams are getting it wrong and players who are proven to be ineffective in the final third like welbeck are seen as some great loss to our club. Fact is goals win games, and having someone that can score in pretty much every type of game makes for a great asset. Having someone who can easily be nullified leading your line just won't end well, especially in the bigger games where the finer details count for so much more. Build a team strong enough to handle the build up without needed the help of hold up play from the striker, and a hernandez becomes more valuable to a team all this fantastic all round game that's going around.

Traub

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to think Madrid signed him so as to get DDG - a bit like Heinze and Ronaldo apparently.

Eila

The conspiracy theorist in me is starting to think Madrid signed him so as to get DDG - a bit like Heinze and Ronaldo apparently.
They needed someone to rot on bench due to Jese being out for half of the season. Chicharito is perfect for that. Plus, he probably sold some shirts in Mexico and was a loan deal. It really made a lot of sense for Madrid.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Take a player off our books who we don't want as a gesture for allowing them to take one of our good players a year or so later.
Or, you know, we let players that we no longer want go to the highest bidder/their club of choice (within reason) and once in a blue moon that same club actually targets a player we'd quite like to keep hold of.

kundalini

Shame the stats don't support your theory. Over the last 3 seasons Rooney has converted 21% of his non-penalty shots from inside the box in the PL. That's better than Falcao (15%) or RVP (18%) but nowhere near Hernandez's 25%

(stats from Squawka - only have 2012/3 onwards)

Kag

Shame the stats don't support your theory. Over the last 3 seasons Rooney has converted 21% of his non-penalty shots from inside the box in the PL. That's better than Falcao or RVP (18%) but nowhere near Hernandez's 25%
Good for the stats. I'd sooner watch the game and observe the difficulty of the chances presented. Hernandez isn't as good a finisher as Rooney. He doesn't control the ball, take it on the half volley and lace it into the top corner like Rooney did against Aston Villa recently. Rooney has been scoring fantastic goals like that inside the box for years.

Hernandez generally scuffs more shots and many of his goals, due to his phenomenal movement which I referred to earlier, are from close range. Rooney is a cleaner striker of the ball and has more impressive array of goals to his name. I genuinely don't think that's up for dispute.

I referenced Rooney in particular because his finishing has been an understated quality for many a year; some people during that time were admiring those wasted Hollywood balls out wide to the right and pretending that he might one day be a midfielder.

JoaquinJoaquin

Took his goal well, good on the guy. Although not sure he would of got that through ball in our team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
good to see him having a little period of doing well.
otherwise, it was panning out to be the most ludicrous loan spell ever. not getting enough playing time, so goes to one of the few clubs he'll get way less!