Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

LonelyFire

How many of his defenders is he meant to help/cover? He's spent the entire season covering for Blind in the middle and Darmian was playing well enough to cover Smalling. That right side combination has been one of the most functional parts of our team. Nobody was expecting Darmian to collapse like that.

It was basically a repeat of the Everton away game last season except Arsenal are a far better and more clinical team.
Don't disagree with any of that but it was the right hand side where the danger was in the first 10 mins. All I'm saying is in times gone by, we've had players who have helped out in that manner. Smalling has been a revelation this season and wasn't at fault yesterday, I just would like to have seen him help darmian a bit more.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Bollocks.
It was an exaggeration but not entirely wrong - there have been numerous times this season when Smalling has had to cover for Blind (and others), noticeably so.

Getsme

It was an exaggeration but not entirely wrong - there have been numerous times this season when Smalling has had to cover for Blind (and others), noticeably so.
Likewise others have had to cover for Smalling. It's what teams do.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Likewise others have had to cover for Smalling. It's what teams do.
Im not claiming that Smalling is perfect by any means, however for me at least it has been noticeable that he has often been the one to have to bail out other defenders after they have made errors. I am sure there are some, but I do not recall any instances of Smalling making an error that Blind (or someone else) had to rectify, this season.

Ixion

I'm all for giving Smalling credit for an excellent season but I'm not having it that he's been playing Weekend at Bernies all season and carrying some deadweight alongside him.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
He somewhat reminds me of Rio in the years before Vidic came along. Had a few gaffes (Yakubu at Riverside anyone?) but more often than not he was the one marshalling the back line with Silvestre and Heinze in the mix.

Getsme

Im not claiming that Smalling is perfect by any means, however for me at least it has been noticeable that he has often been the one to have to bail out other defenders after they have made errors. I am sure there are some, but I do not recall any instances of Smalling making an error that Blind (or someone else) had to rectify, this season.
He is in the form of his life, he has been by far our best defender this season but there seems to be a necessity on here to criticise others to further praise Smalling.
Up until the Arsenal game Blind was having a superb season, no one in our back line covered themselves in glory on Saturday, but yet again the age old posts of Smalling is covering for everybody else and can do no wrong posts are popping up again.

Skills

Snitch
Bollocks.
Eh? Almost every single time there's an aerial ball to contested on Blind's side of defence, Smalling has been dragged out of position to win it for him. It worked at the start when Darmian plugged the whole left on Smalling's side, but it was never really going to sustainable long term. It happens multiple times every single game.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is in the form of his life, he has been by far our best defender this season but there seems to be a necessity on here to criticise others to further praise Smalling.
Up until the Arsenal game Blind was having a superb season, no one in our back line covered themselves in glory on Saturday, but yet again the age old posts of Smalling is covering for everybody else and can do no wrong posts are popping up again.
Its fair enough that Blind has been exceeding expectations at CB for most people, but the trend in virtually every game we have played has been for opponents to look to target Blind as a weak link, as he isnt particularly fast and isnt particularly good in the air either. He has done well but there have still been question marks about him being a CB for us in the long term.

diarm

It's ridiculous how good he is becoming. In a football world which is short of world class centre backs, there aren't too many you'd take ahead of him right now. Complete defender.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
One-man defense. He's literally everywhere. Every time there's a dangerous attack and we stop it, it's him.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
Is this his best performance of the season so far? Keep playing like this and it'll judge edge out the Spurs match for me.

Skills

Snitch
There's really not a lot you can do as a striker if you're up against someone bigger, stronger, quicker and more intelligent than you. Monster.

m1y2

use that second center back as extra striker, we don't need two, Smalling's enough, best center back in the league by far..

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
There's good, bloody good, and then there's Chris Smalling.

bubbles_

Him and Jones are great together, don't know why it was broken up. Never lost a game when they've been the CB partnership have we?

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
What I like the most about him now is that he's never afraid to take charge of situations, he's taken on the role as a leader at the back after Rio and Vidic left.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I've been pro smalling for time now, always knew he had this in him and just needed to stay fit. Long may it continue :keano:

nemanja15

An absolute colossus. Positionally, aerially, in the tackle and now he can get it down and play a bit too. Beginning to feel safe with him at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.