g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Red Thinker

Michael fecking Owen couldn't analyse his ass from his nose. If ever there was a commentator who couldn't smell his own bullshit, then that's Michael Owen.

There are plenty of times when Smalling is marshalling the defence. When he's dominating opposition in the air. When he diffuses situations before it even happens.

Does the system have something to do with how many chances we concede? Sure. But, to take away all the merit that Smalling has achieved this season and put it solely on him playing in a defensive system is ludicrous.

How many attackers have made good pundits? Shearer? Shit. Owen? Shit. Henry? Mostly Shit. Ian Wright? Mostly Shit.

Strikers have never been great analysers of the game. Very few of them can do it well because their involvement in the defensive aspects of a game and the build up and control of a game is minimal. This is why so many defenders and some sensible midfielders understand the game far better. Gary Neville, Carragher, Alan Hansen, Paul Parker, Martin Keown (biased, but he has his points)... let's go into management shall we? Guardiola, Van Gaal, Diego Simeone, Bill Shankly, Bob Paisely, Carlo Ancellotti, Klopp (striker first, then became defender), Arrigo Sacchi, Allegri... the list is endless.

I am not for once saying that strikers haven't made great coaches. Look at Sir Alex and Heynckes are examples that defy that rule. But, they are few and far between.

Much like goalkeepers, strikers are individualistic players whose skills bring less to the team in terms of defence, build-up, hold-up, counters... they rely on midfielders to do work with them. The midfielders see it best and so do the defenders who have to analyse the entirety of the game to understand how best to defend or attack.

So Michael Owen's comments are par for the course. They're those of a myopic bird brain who can't fully see the game for what it is. Feck off you toad.

Rossa

Michael fecking Owen couldn't analyse his ass from his nose. If ever there was a commentator who couldn't smell his own bullshit, then that's Michael Owen.

There are plenty of times when Smalling is marshalling the defence. When he's dominating opposition in the air. When he diffuses situations before it even happens.

Does the system have something to do with how many chances we concede? Sure. But, to take away all the merit that Smalling has achieved this season and put it solely on him playing in a defensive system is ludicrous.

How many attackers have made good pundits? Shearer? Shit. Owen? Shit. Henry? Mostly Shit. Ian Wright? Mostly Shit.

Strikers have never been great analysers of the game. Very few of them can do it well because their involvement in the defensive aspects of a game and the build up and control of a game is minimal. This is why so many defenders and some sensible midfielders understand the game far better. Gary Neville, Carragher, Alan Hansen, Paul Parker, Martin Keown (biased, but he has his points)... let's go into management shall we? Guardiola, Van Gaal, Diego Simeone, Bill Shankly, Bob Paisely, Carlo Ancellotti, Klopp (striker first, then became defender), Arrigo Sacchi, Allegri... the list is endless.

I am not for once saying that strikers haven't made great coaches. Look at Sir Alex and Heynckes are examples that defy that rule. But, they are few and far between.

Much like goalkeepers, strikers are individualistic players whose skills bring less to the team in terms of defence, build-up, hold-up, counters... they rely on midfielders to do work with them. The midfielders see it best and so do the defenders who have to analyse the entirety of the game to understand how best to defend or attack.

So Michael Owen's comments are par for the course. They're those of a myopic bird brain who can't fully see the game for what it is. Feck off you toad.
So, which is it: bird or toad?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Owen's words are bonkers. It totally undermines all the good that Smalling has done this season. He's made defending look easy. He's won almost every aerial duel, every one on one battle. His recovery pace and his anticipation have been near perfect. He always knows where to be when a ball is taken off the ground. Smalling's short passing to the midfield is only a fraction of what he does on a pitch.

It's bizarre though, because Owen has constantly praised Smalling when co-commentating United games on BT. Then he just retracts it all and reckons his job a piece of piss. Garbage.

Obiorahking_

He is definitely top 5 in the world. Do any of you guys watch Ramos, Pique, and Kompany so far this season? They suck, and frankly they are going to continue to decline while Smalling is approaching is prime. It is time to stop looking at reputation and actually start paying attention to what you see in games.

Annahnomoss

He is definitely top 5 in the world. Do any of you guys watch Ramos, Pique, and Kompany so far this season? They suck, and frankly they are going to continue to decline while Smalling is approaching is prime. It is time to stop looking at reputation and actually start paying attention to what you see in games.
I've seen Pique and Thiago play this season and I think Smalling has been comfortably better than both so far. But then again I would consider what Smalling is showing to be form rather than his permanent level. A lot of players has a great 6-8 month period in their career and what separates the best players is that they can keep a similar level for years.

Vardy and Mahrez have been great this season as well and as they aren't our own players I doubt people consider that their average level when judging them. Last season Kane showed some incredible long lasting form as well over a season and that doesn't mean he was all of a sudden one of the best players.

I think Smalling will continue playing at this level and I sure hope so as well as he is so dominant that he has become one of the most entertaining players to watch for United in my eyes.

m1y2

at least we can be proud about some of our players like Chris, hope hes shortilisted for epls best player of the year, he currently is top4 surely with ozil, mahrez/vardy combo in the mix

Sylar

This thread deserves more posts. Unfortunately he will get more "recognition" if he has a bad day then a good day (like most players here).

He really is a one man defence given the way hes playing. Still think hes needs to work on his distribution and become the extra man in midfield (ala Rio), but in defence, the best in the league.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just so reliable these days and our best threat on set pieces.
Yup, I've noticed this also. When he goes forward he is one of the few that looks willing and aggressive enough to really go for the ball.

Devil may care

Yup, I've noticed this also. When he goes forward he is one of the few that looks willing and aggressive enough to really go for the ball.
He unsettles the opposition with that aggression, even if he doesn't connect with the ball we tend to get a shot off in the scramble he creates.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That equalizer was avoidable. Easily. How can you concede via a free kick from there?

DWelbz19

I'm not really sure what's happened. He's all over the shop tonight.

Amir

I don't think it's so much of an offday as it is a game in which he hasn't been offered enough cover by the midfield. A crap defender can look very good with the right cover and a great one can look poor with no cover. Smalling has done very well this season, but he was also helped by better cover.

DWelbz19

It was never a case of Smalling relying on cover, though. He's had fantastic individual performances all season. It's just a pretty bad off day tonight.

Amir

It was never a case of Smalling relying on cover, though. He's had fantastic individual performances all season. It's just a pretty bad off day tonight.
Lack of cover will keep you exposed, force you to make more big decisions and will inevitably lead to mistakes. I'm not taking anything away from his performances this season, just saying this is the like of a defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.