Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
How many times does he need to demonstrate that he's our best defender before it sinks in?

I couldn't give a flying one about his passing, because the gap between him and the rest of our central defenders is huge. Defenders defend, first and foremost.
This. In one on one situations today Smalling was superb. He is clearly a level above any other centre half at the club. Much like Rafael things Smalling did when he was younger have made a lot of people think he's not up to it. They stick with the impressions they had of him under Moyes or whatever, when in fact over 2014/15 he was one of our best players.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
This. In one on one situations today Smalling was superb. He is clearly a level above any other centre half at the club. Much like Rafael things Smalling did when he was younger have made a lot of people think he's not up to it. They stick with the impressions they had of him under Moyes or whatever, when in fact over 2014/15 he was one of our best players.
He was good under Moyes too, probably our best defender that season. It's just his stint at RB that's skewed peoples opinion of him.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
That was a proper good performance from him but I think it's quite clear now he's the best CB United has at the moment.

Getsme

Getsme on the #SmallingPlusOne train? :D

---

He is our best CB and has been so for the last two years. We need a partner for him though, i still think Otamendi would be great, but LvG may feel that he needs a ball playing defender.
To be fair I've gave him praise when he's deserved it, likewise I've criticised when he's deserved it. What I don't like is those who feel they have to criticise a certain player to praise another (if that makes sense)

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
His ability seems to be continually overlooked.

Our defense is no where near as bad as is made out, fullbacks are fantastic and Smalling is a beast, even if we don't sign another centre back it's pretty solid.

stu_1992

Thank christ he started after all the worrying during pre-season. He's a rock at the back. More of the same this season please!

Charlie Foley

The best defender at the club. The right side of our defence looks rock solid right now.

humdinger

He is a very good player. I still get the feeling van Gaal isn't convinced by him though - hope I'm wrong and he does't get dropped when Jones is fit again.

scorgasm

Last Man Standing champion 2020/21
I've been in the Smalling plus one camp for a while and it is performances like that which explain why. I felt he was our best defender last season and even though it's early doors he was definite man of the match for me today. I don't like him being partnered with Blind but Rojo / Evans / Jones next to him don't fill me with confidence either.

Chicharo

He look really well today. Strong, reliable and concentrated.
Add a new CB to play alongside him, and we could really get a great partnership

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Solid tackler, that red card from previous season made him focus more on his timing and he's looking fit and calm now.

Risked a penalty few times today but managed to reach the ball cleanly. Made no doubts for the ref in his decisions which is a sign of promise.

Bojan11

So Jones was injured. Scary how LVG could have had him on the bench today.

Hamadovich86

Surprised and pleased by his performance but the real test will be against top forwards and he cant do it alone all season.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Anyone find a GIF of that Chadli tackle then?

Bwuk

Great performance defensively. If he could keep possession of the ball better he'd be a far better player.

Darmian was MOTM for me though.

Shimo

Definitely nuts to think if it wasn't for Jones injury, Smalling would be on the bench and Jones/Blind would have started. Smalling needs to be one of our starting CB whenever available. Showed signs of leadership as well with him obviously being the director at the back.

facund

If he stays fit and if LVG continues to play him (not sure which is the bigger if?) then virtually all the lingering doubts often expressed about Smalling will be gone by the end of the season.
The presence of Darmian will lighten his workload and allow him to fully focus on doing just his own job which should help as well.

A largely solid game, more than acceptable passing for the most part and always in the right place to snuff out danger in a composed fashion. Just edged MOM based on a few standout interventions towards the end.

ghagua

Rock solid today. Did he just get the start because of the injury to Jones?

Sam

Seriously, is there still anyone that doesn't think he's by far and away our best defender?

He's just a beast of a defender.

Ixion

I have to say I'm slightly surprised by how much praise he's getting. I haven't watched the match back since I got home but his passing didn't seem great to me today and it often invited pressure on Romero and the others around him. He did alright other than that, especially towards the end, but I had concerns. I'll watch the highlights later to be sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.