Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Getsme

Are you trying to wind me up?
First of all, Smalling is first choice for his country. Ever since he stepped it up and stayed injury free he has always been on the team sheet. Second of all, I said give me your reasons to why Smalling has a long way to go before he reaches world class, not repeat the same thing again.

For me, Smalling needs to go another season or two and this champions league displaying what he has readily has been showing. He also has to show some more consistency and quickness in his passing.

Smalling has showed that :
he is great 1 v 1.
Very reliable player to break up counter attacks and dangerous situations
A Damn good long range passer
A goal scoring threat in set pieces
Really.good.positioning
Kept very good strikers in the game quiet

Smalling needs to show that he can keep this high level of play over a longer period of time to prove that it is not some lucky run of form while making small improvements to his game to justify World class status.
Trying to wind you up? Grow the feck up will ya. He is nowhere near the level of Vidic or Rio, have you watched football prior to last season? Even a 34 year old John Terry is better than him. The over exaggeration of Smallings ability in this place is cringe worthy, it really is. He’s a very good player, but not World Class.

As for being first choice for England, under Hodgson

Cahill – 28 starts 0 as sub (2198 min)

Jagielka – 25 starts 5 as sub (1938 min)

Jones – 11 starts 2 as sub (1075 min)

Smalling – 11 starts 3 as sub (994 min)

So going by minutes played he is 4th choice, not only that but he now has Stones to contend with.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Trying to wind you up? Grow the feck up will ya. He is nowhere near the level of Vidic or Rio, have you watched football prior to last season? Even a 34 year old John Terry is better than him. The over exaggeration of Smallings ability in this place is cringe worthy, it really is. He’s a very good player, but not World Class.

So going by minutes played he is 4th choice, not only that but he now has Stones to contend with.
He'll be first choice soon enough. Cahill is wank another season like last season for Smalling it will be impossible not to make him the first choice IMO

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He has a long way to go before he can be labeled World Class
World Class is such an arbitrary term. At the minute in the league, I would only rate Koscienly and Terry (who is hugely benefited by Chelsea's system, too) as better CBs than Smalling. I don't know or care if that's World Class level, but he is top quality.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Smalling is a great defender. I just think what holds him back is how awkward he looks. He's the Anti Rio Ferdinand. Baring the injuries, I think he's proven to be a reliable defender and I would say defensively he is world class. A tricky forward can always make a mug of someone. Other then being out powered by Benteke one time, it's not often Smalling get's beaten defensively.

Defensively, he reminds me of Rio and though he's not as polished - he's proven to be a great purchase by Sir Alex.

POF

Clearly the best central defender at the club. He proved it last season and it is laughable that he wasn't first choice before Jones had his shocker/got injured.

I often laughed at opinions on here where people judged centre backs by their ability on the ball rather than how good they are defensively. Unfortunately the United manager does the same!

As for the comparisons with Vidic, they are ridiculously premature. Vidic is one of the best defenders United has ever had. He even made Jonny Evans look good.

Obiorahking_

Wow. Did I say Smalling was world class anywhere in my post? Did you even read it?
I said Smalling needs to prove that he can continue to make small improvements in his game and keep his high level of play for what longer period of time to reach such a level. John Terry was better than Smalling? He wasn't. In fact , I would bet that without Nemanja Magic who was arguable one of the best defensive midfielders in the world last season Chelsea's defence would have been in much more trouble.

In regards to England, once again ? Did you read my post? I said once Smalling stepped it up and stayed injury free last season, that was when he started being England's first choice. Notice how Smalling has started most , if not all of England's recent qualifiers and friendlies and I would bet that is how it is going to be from now on.

Getsme

He'll be first choice soon enough. Cahill is wank another season like last season for Smalling it will be impossible not to make him the first choice IMO
Who knows, Stones will most likely be first choice before long if he keeps going the way he is.

Cassidy

Who knows, Stones will most likely be first choice before long if he keeps going the way he is.
Stones as good as he is, isn't nearly as good as Smalling. He has potential but I don't see what potential he has that Smalling doen't

VanGaalEra

Imagine if we did get Ramos next to him.

Darmian - Smalling - Ramos - Shaw.

That would be a fantastic back four and I wouldn't be worried too much about the keeper.

Cassidy

That would be a fantastic back four and I wouldn't be worried too much about the keeper.
It could still happen, the supposed unveiling of Ramos and his new contract after the Audi cup hasn't happened.

VanGaalEra

It could still happen, the supposed unveiling of Ramos and his new contract after the Audi cup hasn't happened.
I wasn't open to losing De Gea for Ramos earlier in the summer, I wouldn't mind right now though.

Getsme

Stones as good as he is, isn't nearly as good as Smalling. He has potential but I don't see what potential he has that Smalling doen't
If Stones get his move to Chelsea and cements a place in the team he will be serious competition for Smalling. To say he isn't nearly as good as Smalling is way off the mark, put it this way, can you imagine anyone bidding £30m for Smalling? No, me either.

Cassidy

If Stones get his move to Chelsea and cements a place in the team he will be serious competition for Smalling.
You never know. He may struggle, if he plays with Terry then fine, if Terry can still handle it (had a poor game yesterday). However if hes partnered with Cahill then forget it.
Cahill isn't good enough and I wouldn't say Stones has the ability to make his defensive partner look good just yet (maybe he does you never know)

Whilst I like Stones I have seen him also have some shockers, he has bags of potential, but like I say Smalling is equally as talented in defending in my view.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout

:drool: I'm struggling to think of a better defence in Europe than that. Can't see it happening though.
If Stones get his move to Chelsea and cements a place in the team he will be serious competition for Smalling. To say he isn't nearly as good as Smalling is way off the mark, put it this way, can you imagine anyone bidding £30m for Smalling? No, me either.
I don't think it's that far off the mark tbh, Stones is still very raw imo. Anyone paying that much for him is paying for potential mainly, rather than current ability.

Obiorahking_

I would do a De Gea + cash for Keylor Navas and Ramos in a heartbeat.

Skills

Snitch
Smalling is a great defender. I just think what holds him back is how awkward he looks.
On the ball you mean. Defensively, he's extremely classy and elegant. I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching a player defend more especially when he's locked into a real contest.

Cassidy

I actually can, but no one would as we're not a selling club when it comes to top class english CBs. Smalling will be worth 30m after this season I reckon. The only issue that held him back before was fitness.

Getsme

I actually can, but no one would as we're not a selling club when it comes to top class english CBs. Smalling will be worth 30m after this season I reckon. The only issue that held him back before was fitness.
Everyone has their price.

Cassidy

Everyone has their price.
Yes but I don't think anyone can say its impossible for us to get a bid of that for him. Hes young and english and a very good CB who had a very good season last year.

Getsme

Yes but I don't think anyone can say its impossible for us to get a bid of that for him. Hes young and english and a very good CB who had a very good season last year.
It could happen, but I very much doubt it.

sizzling sausages

Scout
Judging players on how much teams would be willing to pay for them is a really poor way of comparing them. Would anyone have paid £30m for Carrick in 2010? No. Does the fact City paid close to that for Milner mean he was better than Carrick? Obviously not. It's not just ability that sets the price for players.

Getsme

Judging players on how much teams would be willing to pay for them is a really poor way of comparing them. Would anyone have paid £30m for Carrick in 2010? No. Does the fact City paid close to that for Milner mean he was better than Carrick? Obviously not. It's not just ability that sets the price for players.
I know, but it's an indication.

Classical Mechanic

And this is where LVG needs to get his head out of the clouds because if he doesn't it will cost us points. Smalling + Rojo are our 2 better CBs and are balanced (right foot - Left foot), have played well together and have a decent understanding. Choosing CB/CM that are more comfortable on the ball rather than being the better defenders is suicidal.
LVG's system requires ball playing centre backs to work properly. They are not just defenders, they are required to start attacks with passing. Smalling and Rojo doesn't really offer that so the team as a whole will suffer. There is a reason that he is making Blind his number one.

Cassidy

LVG's system requires ball playing centre backs to work properly. They are not just defenders, they are required to start attacks with passing. Smalling and Rojo doesn't really offer that so the team as a whole will suffer. There is a reason that he is making Blind his number one.
I thought Blind is playing because Rojo isn't match fit.

sizzling sausages

Scout
True, but what I think it really indicates is that teams are always willing to pay more for a player that is seen as more stylish or easy on the eye. Most of what Smalling does will go unnoticed, while Stones will stand out more due to his ability on the ball.

Dante

Average bang
Smalling was mostly good, but he lost his man for that Eriksen chance early in the game.

Darmian had a flawless game by comparison.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Smalling was mostly good, but he lost his man for that Eriksen chance early in the game.

But compensated with what was basically a match winning tackle on Chadli at the end. Darmian was just as good.

JoaquinJoaquin

Clearly the best central defender at the club. He proved it last season and it is laughable that he wasn't first choice before Jones had his shocker/got injured.

I often laughed at opinions on here where people judged centre backs by their ability on the ball rather than how good they are defensively. Unfortunately the United manager does the same!

As for the comparisons with Vidic, they are ridiculously premature. Vidic is one of the best defenders United has ever had. He even made Jonny Evans look good.
Must say, I have been a critic of Smalling in the past (something I still believe was right at the time). But he has really progressed in the last 6 months IMO. Yesterday was one of his best performances for the club, good to see.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There is a reason why most would start him and he showed why yesterday. Every time it got dangerous, he was there to defend and clear (unlike Blind)

NessunDorma

He's immense, and if he can stay fit, a bona fide first choice Manchester United centre back.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
ignoring Real Madrid's occasional sniffing around, we only sell when we've made it very obvious we're looking to get rid.
Therefore, getting a market rate fee generally doesn't happen very often.

Smalling has to be better than Stones though.
based off now, not the "Potential"

we know very well how potential isn't always realised!

Obiorahking_

It was mostly blind and a little bit of Damian who were at fault for that chance created.

Riz

Loved the way he dominated the aerial balls. There were a few in succession where he sent the crosses right back out before they had a chance to reach a Spurs player. Great to see that he's continued his form from last season despite not being first choice in pre season.

For me it's simple, he stays fit - he'll be a rock for us this season.

SteveW

Then his system is fecking stupid. I mean how many defenders are out there who both good ball players and also brilliant defensively? Vidic was worse on the ball than Smalling or Jones. He basically needs two Rio Ferdinands for his system to work. And because he cant get them you think it's fine to just play some average midfielder there. Blind's lack of strength and speed speed were a problem last season when he played midfield. Think how much of a problem it will be a CB. Some people on here will try to justify just about anything.....

Edit: Come to think of it would Rio even be good enough on the ball? Seemed to just lump it up field for his last few seasons. Yup Blind is definitely a better answer for LVG's masterplan

Last edited:

Obiorahking_

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/...d-vs-tottenham-hotspur-highlights-full-match/
What? I love Smalling as much as the next guy, but at 47 seconds he goes from marking Eriksen to letting him get a free run into the box. Smalling ends up dithering in no man's land.
Ah my bad, my stream was a bit bad and it looked like it was blind. I know I'm being a little bit nitpicky,but i felt Darmian shouldn't have chased him down and held his line, thus making Erickson offside. Smalling definitely should have spoke up faster or stayed with his man.

Status
Not open for further replies.