Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ZDwyr

To be honest, if van Gaal thinks the RCB spot is the weak link he needs to get his head out of his ass. Why replace a really good defender for someone who will probably be worse? Because they can pass? Well we might have more completed passes from defence but we'll concede more goals. This fetish he has for left and right footed players is weird.

wiz4231

To be honest, if van Gaal thinks the RCB spot is the weak link he needs to get his head out of his ass. Why replace a really good defender for someone who will probably be worse? Because they can pass? Well we might have more completed passes from defence but we'll concede more goals. This fetish he has for left and right footed players is weird.
There's nothing wrong with playing right and left footed defenders, what's wrong with it is while having the better right and left footed defenders we choose to play with the weaker defenders because their passing is better and even that's debatable.
We could do with another CB but not to replace Smalling, Rojo or Jones we need someone to replace Evans. I'd really like to see Smalling and Rojo build a partnership (Rojo coming back off another decent tournament). I understand the need for experienced CB but I think Smalling is starting to step up and bringing someone like Ramos will only halt that, I'd rather we bring in someone young but he has to be very talented like Zouma, Laporte, Varane, Stones and I'd even consider the Dutch Rekik + he's left footed too.

Last edited:

Loublaze

ATLien
Its weird indeed, to the point where Blind and Rojo are being shoehorned into the team.

Shark

@NotShark
The Vidic/Ferdinand partnership probably wouldn't have existed under LVG. That's a fecking scary thought.

Skills

Snitch
http://www.manutd.com/en/Fanzone/Ne...=facebook&utm_medium=post&utm_campaign=ManUtd

Fresh from a fine display against Tottenham Hotspur, Manchester United defender Chris Smalling took time away from a hectic training schedule to answer questions from Reds fans on both Facebook andWeChat. Topics included the importance of starting strongly, challenging for trophies and Louis van Gaal's favourite Manchester restaurant, Wings...

Firstly, Chris, congratulations on Saturday’s win. How important is it that you've started the season with three points? Yes, it is, especially given what happened last season [against Swansea]. We all knew we had to walk off that pitch having taken three points and, even though it wasn’t our best performance, we dug in. Our togetherness ensured that we came through it.

We’ve used a number of formations under Louis van Gaal, and you’ve played with several centre-back partners. Do you feel you’ve adapted well?Yeah, but I think everything takes time. There was obviously a big transformation last year for all the players, a whole year of change, but I think we’re quite set on the way that we’re going to play now. In our minds, it’s quite clear.

The new signings seem to have settled in quickly; how impressed have you been with them?
Definitely, they have [settled in]. I think it’s important that all of them, bar Sergio [Romero], have had more or less a whole pre-season with us. We got to know them for around two-and-a-half weeks and none of them looked out of place on Saturday [against Tottenham] at all.

With that in mind, do you think this squad can challenge for trophies this season?
That should always be the target. Last season was a disappointment and I think our start really stopped us from challenging for anything, but if we can get off to a good start this year then this club should always aim for at least one trophy per season.

You wore the captain’s armband for the first time last season. How was that experience, and what does the role involve?
It was pretty surreal! When the manager said earlier that week that he was going to give me that role, and in such a big game too against Arsenal, it was something I really looked forward to. I don’t think I really needed to change my game at all; on the pitch I’m quite vocal anyway, so it was just a case of continuing that. Obviously there’s the added pressure of wearing the armband, but that was something I really enjoyed and it was a day to savour.

How did it feel to score that header in the Manchester derby back in April?
It was a great feeling. I think that especially after what happened in the reverse fixture [getting sent off], to get the win here at Old Trafford meant there were a lot of emotions in my celebration that day.

What has been your best performance in a United shirt? That has to be up there, doesn’t it?
Yes, I think that game has to be up there! Also, when we played Chelsea a few years ago and won 3-1; I scored a header in that as well. It’s always nice to produce a good performance but to top it off with a goal is always a little bit special.

Have you set yourself any targets for this season? Could we be seeing you in and around the box more often, or are you focusing on clean sheets?
I think that, first and foremost, I have to concentrate on clean sheets and really making sure I cement my position and get a good run of games throughout the season. If I can improve on my four goals from last year, I’ll be a happy man.

We’ve all seen the news on ManUtd.com, but are you really the fastest player in the team?
Well, we’ve never really had a test as such, but I think I am definitely up there, whether it’s 10 metres or whatever. I think the longer the distance, the quicker I am, and I think our fitness coach Tony Strudwick would back me as well! Maybe one day we’ll have a test…

Who’s the most competitive on the training pitch? Ashley Young reckons it’s Wayne Rooney…
I would definitely agree, he’s very competitive. On a Saturday at Old Trafford, you can see that out on the pitch, and he’s the same in training. I’ll have to agree with Ash on that one.

What advice would you give an amateur player trying to improve their defensive skills in training?
Just keep on practising, especially on your weak points. It’s alright if you’re tall like me because it’s easier in the air, but it’s also important to work on your weaker foot, positioning and turning. Maybe at the end of each session, just pick out a factor of your game, do that every week, and even just for five minutes ping balls with either foot. If you do that, by the end of the season, you should see a big improvement. You don’t need to keep hammering it, maybe just hit 10 or 12 balls, relax and go again the next day.

Who’s been the toughest striker you’ve come up against?
Tough one! When I was at Fulham, probably Didier Drogba in his prime – he was a real handful! Obviously he was big and strong when I played against him last year, but he also had that pace at the time as well. I think Sergio Aguero is another, with his movement. Drogba is strong and can pin you, but Aguero really doesn’t like to get close to you, so as a centre-back you’re quite worried because you like to feel them and know where they are. He often plays on the shoulder, so it can be quite difficult.

What did you learn from Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic during their time at the club? I
think how they went about themselves on a daily basis; training was just like a game every time they did it. I also learnt to take that commanding position, in that you are the voice, eyes and ears for the midfield, so you really need to make sure you take advantage of that. I think they utilised the position very well and really helped the squad to keep pushing on. A lot of it was down to those two.

Going back to earlier in your career, how did you feel when you knew you were going to be signing for United?
Wow, it was a whirlwind of emotion! I think we were playing away at Blackburn and were just getting off the coach. My manager at the time, Roy Hodgson, pulled me to one side to say they’d accepted a bid and Sir Alex Ferguson was going to come to the hotel in 30 minutes. I didn’t know what to do! I called my mum, Sir Alex was there in no time and it escalated from there. It was great to know that possibly the biggest man in football wanted me to play for his team, a great feeling.

Was he a major draw for you? What was it about this club that first made you think “this is where I want to go”?
Yeah, definitely [Sir Alex a major draw]. I think he is ‘Mr. United’; the club is massive, easily the biggest in England and one of the biggest in the world. But to have him as a manager as well, it was a no-brainer.

When you were starting out, did you always think you’d reach the top level for club and country?
I think it was always a dream of mine. There are obviously no guarantees – when kids are growing up there are no certainties – but I think even when I was in secondary school the dream was there, but wasn’t always realistic. I kept training and playing alongside my studies and I was lucky enough for it to work out, but you always need to keep your options open because nothing is guaranteed.

I’m sure you’ll agree that during the pre-season tours, you can really see just how big this club is. How important is United’s global fan base to its success?
I think it’s massive, and it’s great that we get to go to places like Asia and America; it just goes to show how big this club is. I remember the reception was big on my first tour, but each year it just seems to get bigger and bigger! It’s good that we get to go and see those fans because you play all the games over there but don’t always get the chance to see them. It’s great that they can come down to training sessions as well as games.

And finally, with that in mind, our Chinese fans want to know if you’ve ever tried Chinese food and, if so, what's your favourite dish?
I am a fan of Wing’s [laughs]. I do like salt and pepper chicken wings, though – that’s a favourite, or chicken and black bean sauce with some egg fried rice.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Top man. If the boss drops him (unduly), I'll be furious. You always get the impression that his position isn't quite safe yet though, despite him being the best performer back there.

LitterBug

No-one likes (a) litterbug
We’ve all seen the news on ManUtd.com, but are you really the fastest player in the team?
Well, we’ve never really had a test as such, but I think I am definitely up there, whether it’s 10 metres or whatever. I think the longer the distance, the quicker I am, and I think our fitness coach Tony Strudwick would back me as well! Maybe one day we’ll have a test…
Is this even remotely true? If so does that make him the fastest CB in the league?

Skills

Snitch
Is this even remotely true? If so does that make him the fastest CB in the league?
Both him and Jones are the two quickest CBs in the league. I genuinely can't think of anyone else as quick as either of them.

LitterBug

Both him and Jones are the two quickest CBs in the league. I genuinely can't think of anyone else as quick as either of them.
But if he is the fastest in the team then surely he must be quicker then a lot of the CF in the league, meaning he'd have them in his pocket in a counter attack situation.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

at the age of 37 he is still faster then most of the players in the league, not only centerbacks.....my favorite moments are when someone new joins the league and tries to outpace this guy, its always the same outcome - me laughing my ass off and Distin winning the race :lol:

Skills

Snitch
But if he is the fastest in the team then surely he must be quicker then a lot of the CF in the league, meaning he'd have them in his pocket in a counter attack situation.
He is quicker than a lot of the CFs in the league.

Have you ever seen anyone get the better of him pace wise? There's examples of him going head to head with the likes of Ribery, Muller, Sterling, Willian and Welbeck from the last couple of seasons and winning.

LitterBug

He is quicker than a lot of the CFs in the league.

Have you ever seen anyone get the better of him pace wise? There's examples of him going head to head with the likes of Ribery, Muller, Sterling, Willian and Welbeck from the last couple of seasons and winning.
If I be honest with you I don't recall any of that but that's probably because I haven't paid much attention to it.

Will definitely watch him closely tonight against Gabby Agbonlahor. That should give us a good indication.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Smalling has been our fastest player for years. Baffles me that fans haven't already realised this.

Brightonian

Will definitely watch him closely tonight against Gabby Agbonlahor. That should give us a good indication.
Agbonlahor's not even as fast as he used to be anyway. Bulked up way too much. Between his pace and his reading of the game, Smalling should be able to handle him easily enough. The problem will be if he targets Blind - and he'd be mad not to at least try it.

Rossa

at the age of 37 he is still faster then most of the players in the league, not only centerbacks.....my favorite moments are when someone new joins the league and tries to outpace this guy, its always the same outcome - me laughing my ass off and Distin winning the race :lol:
Distin is fecking rapid. Only a handful of players can outpace him, but few can outmuscle him.

About Smalling's pace - he's rapid.

Rossa

Agbonlahor's not even as fast as he used to be anyway. Bulked up way too much. Between his pace and his reading of the game, Smalling should be able to handle him easily enough. The problem will be if he targets Blind - and he'd be mad not to at least try it.
Agbonlahor is a proper sprinter, so in a straight race, there are few as fast as him. He has lost a little in the first few yards, I'll give you that much. Look at his strides and running technique, he's more of a sprinter than the likes of Sterling is and will probably beat him in a foot race of more than 20 yards every day of the week. He does lack a little agility though.

SambaBoy

Smalling has been our fastest player for years. Baffles me that fans haven't already realised this.
This. While persisting Hernandez is absolutely rapid based on a stat used from the WC in 2010. I have never seen Hernandez leave a defender for dead with his pace or show that he is anywhere near the fastest in the league. CB's need to use their pace less and less, but even when Smalling gets dragged out into the wide positions he shows he can match anyone for pace. Definitely one of the quickest in the league and probably up there as our fastest player.

SirAF

Ageist
If I be honest with you I don't recall any of that but that's probably because I haven't paid much attention to it.

Agbonlahor is not going to trouble him pace wise tonight.

Skills

Snitch
Defending like a tank. Just one of those days on the ball though.

Minimalist

If there's a weak link between Blind/Smalling, it's smalling. :lol:

Hasn't played that badly thus far to be fair.

FromTheBench

His defending been great again.

His passing shit again which nearly cost us a chance too.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's still hit about 10 less shanked passes than Rooney so far.

Leg-End

Just needs to cutout the shitty passing and maintain concentration when the tempo slows.

Minimalist

Well it's fairly self-explanatory despite your ridiculous post.

I'm referring to the crap people have been saying about Blind in pre-season and yet Smalling is the one passing to the opposition and causing problems for us. Unless you're not watching match and missed that howler. Blind on the other hand has been totally fine and assured.

As I said though, Smalling hasn't played badly at all.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Well it's fairly self-explanatory despite your ridiculous post.

I'm referring to the crap people have been saying about Blind in pre-season and yet Smalling is the one passing to the opposition and causing problems for us. Unless you're not watching match and missed that howler. Blind on the other hand has been totally fine and assured.

As I said though, Smalling hasn't played badly at all.
Smalling's been our best player in my opinion. A couple of good blocks/interceptions and his reading of the game means he's winning all the headers. Blind hasn't done anything wrong per say, but he's been outshone by Mike.

Skills

Snitch
Such a great defender. Mix of Rio and Vidic - can play a high line and defend on the front foot, but also defends the box like a champion.

Status
Not open for further replies.