g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Chris Smalling image 12

Chris Smalling England flag

2015-16 Performances

View full 2015-16 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AKDevil

Was impressed with how he stepped up when gestede came on. Was like he'd been preparing for him all week and was determined to win everything.

Roboc7

Along with darmian he was our best defender last night, has to attack everything now blind is part of the back four. If he can stay fit this might be the season he finally gets recognition he deserves and establishes himself as one of the leagues best centre backs.

Riz

Same as Spurs match really, looks a rock at the back. His height will be a massive help when we have to deal with long balls into a target man, Gestede didn't get a sniff.

Shark

@NotShark
If he can stay injury free, we're in luck. He's our best CB by a country mile.

The White Pele

Was disappointed with his passing last night. Despite his technical deficiencies he's better than that showing.

Glanville95

He absolutely nullified Gestede's aerial threat, though.
Yeah, he was a beast aerially, though he always is so it's not much of a surprise. Still, thought he was quite shaky for the opening 5-10 of the second half, but generally he was decent. Passing is obviously troublesome for us at times to.

Trust me though, I'm a massive fan of his. Just don't think he was quite as excellent as some are suggesting tonight. Probably goes to show the standards he's now setting that I'm deeming it just a decent performance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Could you imagine if we sold him to Arsenal when we "wanted" Vermaelen? I think that would have been possibly the worst piece of transfer business ever concluded in the history of football.

Litch

There's a player in there and will get even better once we find an experienced CB for him to play next to

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Could you imagine if we sold him to Arsenal when we "wanted" Vermaelen? I think that would have been possibly the worst piece of transfer business ever concluded in the history of football.
:lol: that would have been insane

vodrake

I find it odd how little recognition he still gets outside of United fans. Even after his displays in the last couple of the games, the narrative in a lot of the media and on other fansites seems to be "Schneiderlin and Darmian are all the more impressive because they're somehow making Smalling look good"

Eugenius

What was it SAF said about Vidic? "He just enjoys defending."

That's the thing with Smalling too. You can tell he loves breaking up moves, tackling, winning aerial duels. He relishes the physical side of the game.
Fergie said the same of Smalling in his autobiography

Brightonian

Most underrated CB in the league at the moment? Maybe not amongst United fans any more, but the rest still seem to see him as a big lad who can't pass. Wenger's repeated inquiries show not everyone's so slow on the uptake, though.

Dominos

Most underrated CB in the league at the moment? Maybe not amongst United fans any more, but the rest still seem to see him as a big lad who can't pass. Wenger's repeated inquiries show not everyone's so slow on the uptake, though.
I'd bet good money Mourinho would be after him as well if we put him on the market.

Ludens the Red

Most improved player in the country over the last year or too by a billion miles.
Still failing to get recognition from neutrals but that's okay.
I'll admit even up till a year ago I was still 50:50.
I feel so comfortable when he's out there now though.

MoneyMay

His passing hasn't been great in the last two games. He needs to concentrate more and look for the short pass, instead of hoofing the ball up. I don't think anyone should care that much though, he'll always look ropey. What's more important is that he has the leadership and athleticism our other CB's lack. I don't think it's right to say he changed after the red card against Manchester City... he was reliable before then and was our best CB under Moyes, IMO. He's been our best CB for a while now and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be considered as one of the best CB's in the league if he continues like this.

RedStarUnited

His passing hasn't been great in the last two games. He needs to concentrate more and look for the short pass, instead of hoofing the ball up. I don't think anyone should care that much though, he'll always look ropey. What's more important is that he has the leadership and athleticism our other CB's lack. I don't think it's right to say he changed after the red card against Manchester City... he was reliable before then and was our best CB under Moyes, IMO. He's been our best CB for a while now and I don't see any reason why he shouldn't be considered as one of the best CB's in the league if he continues like this.
I think LVG needs to just accept, Smalling will never be all that in possession and appreciate his other qualities. I certainly have accepted this.

caid

I think LVG needs to just accept, Smalling will never be all that in possession and appreciate his other qualities. I certainly have accepted this.
I think he has a bit, he plays him every week when all's said and done.
But theres room for improvement there and van gaal will pick on it i think - it'll do him good though.

Was impressed with how he stepped up when gestede came on. Was like he'd been preparing for him all week and was determined to win everything.
Never a doubt in my mind that he would, thought it was pretty funny that Gestede just started pulling off to Blind and Shaw after 5 mins. It was like 'nope'.
Then Blind started beating him in the air.

I'm going to regret saying this but his fitness has been better than evans and jones for a long time really hasn't it? It's never been that bad really (cue him getting injured)

prath92

i don't think we ever would have sold Smalling to be fair. Especially for vermaelen who if fit is nothing more than good

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This.

Its amazing how many people think Smalling can't pass. If that were the case why does Wenger want him so much? As the Gooners say 'Arsene knows'. :lol:

Smalling's long passing may not be Frank Le Boef level but he is quite good at running with the ball. He's got good physical presence and pace. What he lacks is not the raw materials but the decision making and confidence to use the ball really effectively.

When Smalling stretches his legs he's hard for a pressing forward to stop, what he needs to add to his game is a bit of cleverness in his passing. I've seen Smalling bolt past a forward and into midfield with the ball loads of times. When he gets there though he often looks lost like 'Ok, what now?' Often if one of the midfielders is about he'll just go sideways to them. If he can learn to use the space that opens up for him when the midfielders take players away from his run, he could become a real weapon for us stepping out from the back.

RedStarUnited

Doesn't mean LVG has to accept on his flaws. And he's a very good defender, not outstanding.
He has seemingly accepted Rooneys wonky touch hasnt he. Smallings one and only weakness is his passing everything else he has.

Getsme

He has seemingly accepted Rooneys wonky touch hasnt he. Smallings one and only weakness is his passing everything else he has.
Yet Rooney gets crucified on here for it. It’s amazing what a fan favourite can get away with isn’t it?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
To be fair Smalling has always been decent. In his first season he had some great displays, Marseille away I remember he was brilliant. It's when he started playing RB people got the impression he is shit, because he is dodgy on the ball. The last year playing at Centre back he has become a really reliable defender.

Classical Mechanic

To be fair Smalling has always been decent. In his first season he had some great displays, Marseille away I remember he was brilliant. It's when he started playing RB people got the impression he is shit, because he is dodgy on the ball. The last year playing at Centre back he has become a really reliable defender.
I remember in his early United career he put in a great performance at the Etihad, he scored as well that day I think.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
He started off fairly well as a youngster for us and looked like a real top talent. Even at RB in the early parts of the 2011/2012 season he wasn't too bad, even though it was clear he's better as a centre back. He kind of had a lull for a couple of years after that and disappointingly stagnated, but he improved a lot last season and hopefully will carry it into this season.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
i don't think we ever would have sold Smalling to be fair. Especially for vermaelen who if fit is nothing more than good
By all accounts we did try to buy Vermaelen before we got Rojo. Arsenal asked for Smalling in return. Thank god we were wise enough to say no!

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
He gets his head to pretty much every single hoof ball that the opponent plays. He reminds me of Vidic in that aspect. Clearly our best defender and should start every game if available. Jones can jump in when Smalling needs a rest or if LVG stops being stubborn and plays two right footed centre backs.

Man Utd 3:1 Brugge

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
He has been massive today. Looks like a proper top class centreback in the mould of Vidic and Ferdinand. Every tackle he's made has been clean and he's been harrassing their centre forwards without fouling them. Those Brugges strikers must be wondering what hit them.

FromTheBench

Been a beast today but when he wins the ball getting irritating how he doesn't seem to know now what to do with it.

Skills

Snitch
Must be so demoralising watching your CF getting brutally dominated by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.