Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil may care

Strong 90 minutes after a wobbly spell. I still think he has to come out to help the RB too often, that needs sorting out.

Acole9

Outstanding
I know it was only a League One side but that was the best I've seen him play for a few weeks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great to see him score, I couldn't help but laugh with the finish though, it was like a bouncing bomb heading for a German dam :lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Great to see him score, I couldn't help but laugh with the finish though, it was like a bouncing bomb heading for a German dam :lol:
He waited an age for it to bobble around, and then he gave the sloppiest technique toward the ball. :lol: One off, I'm sure. I remember a goal he finished expertly with a trained stretched leg in his first(?) season against City. Think it was the Charity Shield when Nani scored twice.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not regarding yesterday's match but in general, Unpopular opinion and I may get bashed a lot.
Any good CB pairing needs a CB that is brave, hard tackler and another who is comfortable on the ball, basically a central defender and a ball playing one. A vidic and a rio. Smalling isn't that physical beast , atleast doesn't play that way to be a Vidic. And his game surely resembles more like Rio. But the thing is, today there are multiple CB's who are as good defenders as him and are better on the ball. Laporte, Marquinhos, Hummels, even Blind(with a stronger CB might make a great pairing) for example. There is no lack of Rios today and it makes me wonder if we can achieve greatness with Smalling as a CB. Sure we have have bigger problems which need to be dealt with before this and this shouldn't exactly be a concern, but considering Laporte seems to be a primary target today, should be even not consider buying a CB who can complement qualities of his partner instead of buying a player whose style is similar!

wiz4231

Not regarding yesterday's match but in general, Unpopular opinion and I may get bashed a lot.
Any good CB pairing needs a CB that is brave, hard tackler and another who is comfortable on the ball, basically a central defender and a ball playing one. A vidic and a rio. Smalling isn't that physical beast , atleast doesn't play that way to be a Vidic. And his game surely resembles more like Rio. But the thing is, today there are multiple CB's who are as good defenders as him and are better on the ball. Laporte, Marquinhos, Hummels, even Blind(with a stronger CB might make a great pairing) for example. There is no lack of Rios today and it makes me wonder if we can achieve greatness with Smalling as a CB. Sure we have have bigger problems which need to be dealt with before this and this shouldn't exactly be a concern, but considering Laporte seems to be a primary target today, should be even not consider buying a CB who can complement qualities of his partner instead of buying a player whose style is similar!
What...you want to find a partner for Blind? :houllier:
Put Hummels alongside Smalling and we'll probs have as good a partnership as Rio and Vidic as we can possibly get.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I actually think Smalling is more Vidic than Rio if you want to pigeonhole him into one or the other. He's much quicker than Vidic ever was, but other than a good reading of the game I don't see many similarities between him and Rio.

Varun

Staff
Smalling is more Vidic than Rio as pointed out by 2MM above. Also, Rio wasn't just good on ethereal ball while not being a top defender as is the case with someone like hummels. He was an amazing defender and good with the ball on top of that, that's what made him one of the best of his generation. None of the ones you mentioned are close to his level atm so I'm not sure why you believe there are a lot of Rios running around.

Stacks

One of the biggest Myths around. Thuram/Cannavaro, Stam/Nesta Adams/Bould Pallister/Bruce Maldini/Nesta Baresi/Corstacurta Ferrara/Costacurta just to name a few from my era. Don't remember them guys being any Maverick Rolls Royce types

Floyd

Doesn't like his Tagline played with
He sure likes a good old shirt-pulling every now and then, it's very visible and I'm amazed he isn't penalized more often. You'd think the Newcastle penalty would teach him a lesson but it doesn't look that way at all. It needs to stop, it's almost Skrtel'esque now.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
He sure likes a good old shirt-pulling every now and then, it's very visible and I'm amazed he isn't penalized more often. You'd think the Newcastle penalty would teach him a lesson but it doesn't look that way at all. It needs to stop, it's almost Skrtel'esque now.
This, can't believe he's not been warned to stop with it, will get him in the trouble again.

Revan

Assumptionman
He was awesome yesterday which was good to see cause I think that he has been quite disappointing since November.

However, he should practice two extra hours each day on passing and running with the ball. It is amazing to see how a good defender he is, but at the same time how shit he is at basic footballing skills like making simple passes or not running in out.

Revan

Assumptionman
One of the biggest Myths around. Thuram/Cannavaro, Stam/Nesta Adams/Bould Pallister/Bruce Maldini/Nesta Baresi/Corstacurta Ferrara/Costacurta just to name a few from my era. Don't remember them guys being any Maverick Rolls Royce types
Half of the players you mentioned (if not more) were very good at passing.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Smalling is more Vidic than Rio as pointed out by 2MM above. Also, Rio wasn't just good on ethereal ball while not being a top defender as is the case with someone like hummels. He was an amazing defender and good with the ball on top of that, that's what made him one of the best of his generation. None of the ones you mentioned are close to his level atm so I'm not sure why you believe there are a lot of Rios running around.
Not saying Rios per se, I mean there are better players on the ball than Smalling.

What...you want to find a partner for Blind? :houllier:
Put Hummels alongside Smalling and we'll probs have as good a partnership as Rio and Vidic as we can possibly get.
No, all I said was, we consider Smalling to be a top class defender, but he isn't that great.

Again 2 defenders who are no nonsense types. Two central defenders, not ball playing ones. What we are actually having are defenders who can't bully the strikers.

If anyone lists top 10 defenders of say last 20 years, there is a high probability around 8 will be those bullies, the remaining 2 may be great readers of game like Terry.
Smalling IMO is someone who can get the ball front, not someone who can put his head on the line to block a shot point blank, or maybe get into a strikers read or jump all around say Costa. I mean, he isn't in the same mould as guys like Vidic, Shawcross (not saying Shawcross is better than Smalling). He needs to instill fear that he can break your leg in 2, but never break it sort of guy

Stacks

Half of the players you mentioned (if not more) were very good at passing.
I'd say exaggerated passing ability. People seem to think just because someone is calm on the ball, they are a CB playmaker. These are a load of bullies and excellent readers of the game more than anything.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Again 2 defenders who are no nonsense types. Two central defenders, not ball playing ones. What we are actually having are defenders who can't bully the strikers.

If anyone lists top 10 defenders of say last 20 years, there is a high probability around 8 will be those bullies, the remaining 2 may be great readers of game like Terry.
Smalling IMO is someone who can get the ball front, not someone who can put his head on the line to block a shot point blank, or maybe get into a strikers read or jump all around say Costa. I mean, he isn't in the same mould as guys like Vidic, Shawcross (not saying Shawcross is better than Smalling). He needs to instill fear that he can break your leg in 2, but never break it sort of guy
Depends what you mean by 'bully the strikers'.

Smalling regularly bullies the strikers in the sense he wins almost every physical duel. Whether it's in the air or a shoulder to shoulder battle as they go for the ball. He's simply bigger, stronger and faster than the vast majority of players out there, and he uses those gifts to go around quietly winning the vast majority of physical battles.

However, as you alluded to, there's no 'dirtiness' about him. The strikers can get frustrated by him winning everything, but they won't be scared of him. Attackers knew that the likes of Vidic, Terry, Stam, etc would happily go straight through them if they felt they needed to to get the ball. Whereas Smalling would stay on his feet and 'gently' overpower them to push them off and win the ball.

Rossa

A lot of revisionism going on here. Smalling had every attacker, big or small, strong or fast, in his pocket up until November. Since then he has been about average top six standard in the league.

He showed he is as fast as Vardy over distance, stronger than Lukaku and better in the air and had him in his pocket till the player looked to give up. The same has happened to pretty much any forward. Lately, however, he has seemed a bit frustrated and knackered at times. No wonder, seeing as he often covers more ground than 80% of our outfield players. Looking at yesterday's match that is understandable, because Blind loses every single header to a normal sized attacker. He may have decent stats, but that is because Smalling takes all of those duels. It must be both frustrating and exhausting. On top of that, he has to cover against every runner as he knows Blind is easily outpaced.

Yesterday's match was perfect for a defender like Blind who is great on the ball, but even then, he lost a couple of unnecessary headers that Smalling would never have lost.

Even a Liverpool supporter I know thought Smalling was a great defender.

Rio was great because he outpaced the fastest of strikers and anticipated play very well. Smalling is better in the air and stronger in a tackle, but Rio was smarter and technically a couple of leagues above. Smalling is probably a hybrid of Rio and Vidic. When people compare Rio-Vidic to any defender, they should know there isn't a center back pairing close to them at present.

Bwuk

If McNair starts any of the next two games we will lose. Would rather Blind & Carrick together at the back if Smalling is out.

Spielmacher

Reliable, yes. Updated, no. To be fair to them, this is the first we've heard of Valencia and Rojo back in training.
I guess then it's a question of fitness, if we play them and they're still unfit and get injured against Midtylland again, would be pretty annoying, a gamble LVG has to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.